darksunyellow - replacement needed

Forum news. If you are a new member, please read the Forum Rules.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

darksunyellow - replacement needed

Postby Xenesis » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Okay, so the 3.0.6 update added numerous updated changes to the board on multiple levels. The problem is that our beloved darksunyellow theme apparently hasn't been updated for quite some time.

The problem is basically this - the theme will basically need to be gutted and redone with all the code updates (which I'm not keen on, there's quite a wealth of changes I'd have to do by hand) or replace it with a similar theme with the new features added in and with the updates.

The 3.0.6 update only came out yesterday, so most of the custom themes haven't been updated yet, but I'll recommend something from either here phpbbstyles or the official phpbb style database..

While we're at it, I think we probably should endeavour to get a custom logo/topic icons for the phpbb3 prosilver theme. It's...lacking.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Kestral

Re: darksunyellow - replacement needed

Postby Kestral » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Question:
Will you be keeping darksunyellow with new changes, replacing it with a new style, or getting rid of it completely?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:55 pm

Replacing it with a new style is the likely plan.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Alecat

Postby Alecat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Changing to handle quick reply + captchas shouldn't be too much work and quite likely other skin makers are only just making changes to handle 3.0.6 (the API has been out for a while, certainly, but it'll be a while before skins are properly working)

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:30 am

I seem to be the only one who has been using prosilver for all this time I guess.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:59 am

Alecat wrote:Changing to handle quick reply + captchas shouldn't be too much work and quite likely other skin makers are only just making changes to handle 3.0.6 (the API has been out for a while, certainly, but it'll be a while before skins are properly working)

The problem is that it hasn't been updated since about when I first installed the theme (which was a good year+ ago) so I've got to work about 5 versions of updates into it.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:39 am

Anything that's reminiscent of Solaris will do for me.

Also, more Morpheus.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:57 pm

I think a holiday theme would be really cool--at least I'd use it. 'Tis the season!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:31 am

Treedweller wrote:I think a holiday theme would be really cool--at least I'd use it. 'Tis the season!

Last time a forum that I went on used a Holiday Theme, the browsers crashed repetitively. :s

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:27 pm

I'm happy with anything that keeps the avatars on the left.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:40 am

Just skimming through the links Xen mentioned, I came across this one. It looks pretty cool, reminiscent of Solaris, not too different from darksunyellow. Avatars are on the left. It appears to be high in the download ratings. I kind of like it myself.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:31 am

Um it looks really crap on my 1680x1050 resolution monitor. Like it was designed for 1024x768 or something.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:24 am

Ok, since we recently discovered that darksunyellow is no longer supporting the polls, we're much more in need of a replacement skin than ever. If you'd all be so kind as to search for one that you like and post your suggestions here, we might even be able to find a suitable one to replace dsy with.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:40 am

As long as it's black I'm fine.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:16 am

Ok guys how 'bout Melankolia? It looks pretty decent, is black, avatars on the left etc. and has impressive download ratings so it must be good right?

Gentleman of Dread

Postby Gentleman of Dread » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:17 am

Melankolia

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 am

If it stretches to accomodate bigger resolutions, then yes.

Also why is my signature no longer showing?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:46 am

Isn't that something that can be easily fixed? The stretching thing, I mean.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:54 am

Dunno. It does it auto with the current skins.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:12 am

I would like to say though that of all that I could find, Black Pearl and Melankolia are the only two that come remotely close to dsy, are updated to work with the current version (BP is updated to 3.0.7, Mel. to 3.0.6) of PhpBB3 and aren't fudge ugly. From what I gathered on those boards, the width thing can be fixed but I'm not sure if that's going to make it any prettier. I personally don't find that setting it to that wide is making it easy to read, but I guess that's just my taste.

I'd like to hear Xen's opinion on things, though.

EDIT: Bog, it seems you've somehow changed your settings to not show your sig in posts.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:20 am

I've not. But ok I'll fix it.

EDIT: Um, no I haven't. It's still set to display by default. I can't use BBcode either.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:26 am

No, that's because you somehow auto-set it when you post. In the posting screen there are some checkboxes, which say disable BBCode, disable smilies etc. Try checking and unchecking the right ones.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:45 am

Those boxes do not appear. I haven't changed any settings.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:59 am

Geez I dunno man. Then I don't know what's causing it and how to fix it. Strange. Try relogging?

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am

Tried. =/

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:12 am

And when you post in other boards? Outside of Announcements, I mean.

EDIT: Yeah, that's the problem. The settings on the Announcements board. lol <_<;

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:13 am

Weird. Only seems to be happening here.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:14 am

Lol.

onewaystreet

Postby onewaystreet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 am

That might be because BBCode is off, bog

HPD's sig shows up because he's an admin I would guess, but no one else's does.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:30 am

Anyway let's back on topic here:

HPD wrote:Ok guys how 'bout Melankolia? It looks pretty decent, is black, avatars on the left etc. and has impressive download ratings so it must be good right?

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Postby Bog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:43 am

Yes if it stretches.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 am

Don't use anything that's not updated for 3.0.7 support if you can help it, you'll end up with the same sorts of issues down the line.

Return to “Forum Announcements”