AW 10th Anniversary

Forum news. If you are a new member, please read the Forum Rules.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

AW 10th Anniversary

Post by Xenesis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Gip Suggested this. I thought it was cool. You should all contribute.
Gipface wrote:This upcoming 9/11 may be a time of reflection and commemoration, but it's also the 10th anniversary of Advance Wars. (Some sources say it was released on 9/10, but here in Canada it definitely came out on 9/11) Advance Wars 1 was the game that finally pushed the Nintendo Wars games into the western market. Not only was it the first English Wars title, but it was bounds and leaps more polished than any other game in the series. Then it began a whole new franchise on its own.

Warsworldnews will be the center hub of the AW celebration. We're planning on writing a number of articles on what Advance Wars has meant to us over the years. We'd love it if people in the community could contribute. It doesn't matter if you were a past influential person in the community, or simply a lurker who only played singleplayer. From Cosmo Land canon to AW4 canon, we'd love to hear your take!

What does Advance Wars mean to you? How has it influenced your life? Send your take to submissions@warsworldnews.com by 9/10!

Oh, by the way, we may be handing out a money prize to the best non-WWN contributor. Good luck!
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Re: AW 10th Anniversary

Post by Dragonite » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:22 am

Heh, I should write something. Ah, the days when I first got hold of... never mind, I save it until I am writing the whole thing>_>

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:31 am

I don't know how to use outlook, what should I do?

Can I post here in the comments?
Remember not to feed the animals

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:49 am

You can copy paste the link in the mail client you use.
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:23 am

I think what Gip meant with that is those who are not part of the staff.

At least then it'd make some sense.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:23 am

I'm definitely going to delete m--
Deoxy wrote:brb, deleting account, writing best submission, then re-opening account
Damn it all to hell! Well, maybe I'll get involved anyway. I'll try not to get talking too much about my time on WWN in it. AW has definitely done me some good otherwise.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:37 pm

*writing*
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:50 pm

I've already received a few submissions ^_^
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:14 am

Writing this is harder than I thought it would be.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:15 am

I'm actually going to be in Florida, America that day. What a good way to celebrate Advance War's 10th Anniversary! Has it actually been 10 years? I should bring my original GBA for the nostalgia factor! :D

It will mean I will miss the party celebration on WWN however. :(

I'll contribute something however. Better get my fingers typing!

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:09 am

i can't think of anything at the moment so no writeup

but suffice to say i've spent like 6 or 7 years at this board

and it wasn't all bad, not all bad at all
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:48 am

Time for a grand WWN party?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:06 am

Everyone post a picture of themselves holding a beer!

Wait, hold on. I won't be on WWN over the weekend, I'll be moving into my uni place, and there's not internet set up. Unless I scrounge a sgnal using BT Fon or something...

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:33 am

obviously Dirty Penguin Sex games.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:56 pm

I think I've had enough Dirty Penguin Sex notifications, thanks.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:53 pm

You never have enough Dirty Penguin Sex notifications.
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:44 am

obviously we need to play some AWBW for AW's Tenth Anniversary.

T-COPTER SPAM

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:46 am

lol

I'm in if we do it on the 11th in one sitting using the IRC.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:50 am

Huh. I may have to spend my sunday in the uni library to join in.

Alternatively, I may forget. I'll try not to, though. At least, not before I write my little essay about why AW rawks mah sawks.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:18 am

Gentleman of Dread wrote:obviously we need to play some AWBW for AW's Tenth Anniversary.

T-COPTER SPAM
More like, we need to play some AW1

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 am

Dibs not being Andy.

No, wait, Dibs not being Sonja.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:51 am

Dibs on campaign Sturm.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:27 am

Dibs on
uh
crud

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 am

You can have Blandy.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:01 am

Still need to write my part. Oh well, weekend is near. Sorry, I'm lazy, and I'm attending a new school and all..

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:34 am

Yeah, I'm just lazy, and busy packing. Pity. I'll try to finish it tonight or tomorrow but...eh. I doubt it.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 am

advance wars was pretty cool

once upon a time i was pirating gba games and so i said to myself "hey this game looks like crumpets but i might as well try it out cuz it's not like i'm paying for it lol"

and then nell was like "field training, bitches" and i was hooked

then one day i got to the final mission and it kicked my ass, so i tried it again, and it kicked my ass again and i stopped playing for awhile because in order to unlock anyone i needed to beat that mission, and it wasn't going to happen anytime soon. then aw2 came out and it was a lot easier so i was down with that. i was like "lol colin is so weak" and main'd kanbei like a true man and beat AW2

then i went to the online boards and wrote bad fanfiction. then i stopped writing bad fanfiction.

one day i said "hey it would be fun to play with others" so i tried to play competetively but unfortunately all my witty strategies that had worked so well against the computer (md. tank spam, neotank spam, etc) were pitiful against other players. they did things like use infantry. what the fudge? who would use infantry, they're so weak. but somehow, my time tested strategy of getting more neotanks on the field than the enemy did not work.

so i stopped playing against other people.

years passed

then days of ruin came out and it was great, best advance wars i'd ever played, at least until i beat it after like 3 days and there was nothing else to do.

and so i stopped playing advance wars

the end.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:37 am

oh and i'd like my money prize now plz

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi guys,

Just reminding you that the 10th is tomorrow in non-Kangaroo land so get me those articles! :)

I've already got some, I'm editing my own...this is exciting.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:11 pm

And so 9/10 comes. :D

Hope my mail got through. You can ever know if it got eaten by Gabe Newel or not. Oh well, posting it here just to make sure:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I knew about AW just last year. When my son-of-bitch excuse for a best friend decided to give me the ROM for AW2. Of course, being an avid fan of anything tactical (Blitzkrieg - Sudden Strike - Combat Mission - Theatre of War - etc) I couldn't help it but to give it a spin. First impression was good, it's a solid turn based tactical-strategical game. The tactical element was quite unique and blend in remarkably well with the base building element, although with the cost of making it somewhat of a gimmick upon base building intensive games (which is 90% of AW anyway). While the tactical side gave AW something of value, the strategical term was the opposite, it literally tastes like a Canadian mail-man. Units were poorly designed to the point that you can just spam infantries and wins, 60% of all COs are redundant or not fun to play, and the game usually degenerates into big spammy, stalemating mess after 20 to 30 turns of play.

The game also suffers from extremely bad story line, abysmal map designs, and card board characters. These elements hideously degrades the value of the whole game, although fortunately did not impact the good gameplay (except for the bad CO designs <_< ). I my self was so hooked up to the game, that despite having to complete a modding project that spans over a year now (I'm a modder you know) I instead left it in the crumpets and postpone the beta release to the New Years to play AW2. Usually with bass-ass music to boot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHPSJq8RsQQ

That's my little history with AW. The game was was something unique in my eye, although struck with numerous flaws and screw ups. That's why I set my hand on improving it. 3 months after I first received the ROM, having finished the beta for my mod, I decided to hack AW. This is also the time when I discovered WWN and later AWN. The game soon became a test-bed for me to harness my balancing and game designing skills, as well as other skills such as pixel arts and dialog writing. The hack I'm working now has yet to be finished, although glimpsed of it was shown from time to time in the WWN forum.

Sometimes recently, I was also involved with fan fiction writing for AW. It was an experimental piece, with the world being fully simulated using a wide range of game based simulators such as IL2 Sturmovik, Combat Mission and Panzer Elite. It was to have fully authentic, realistically simulated battlefields, dynamic flow of the world with individual combat losses taken into account. Unfortunately no one even remotely felt interest in it after I posted bare in AWN. I'm planning to even release a trailer to increase traffic flow but what the hell. Guest I'll have to scrap it then, it wasn't made for AW anyway, I just reconfiguration it to AW because I believe it would bring in more traffic flow. Guest I'm hick wrong.

Well, that's all I can say for the anniversary. Mark_009_vn(WWN) / 009(AWN) out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Music for the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0SNtsTDZAE&t=0m45s
:P
Remember not to feed the animals

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Still haven't wrote this due to very busy week and the need to have WEEKEND AND FREEDOM, which doesn't make me feel like writing. I will do so eventually, and I don't mind mine added later, but.. right now I'm just not feeling like it.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:46 pm

All up, we have five articles which I'll be piecing together and formatting this afternoon.

If you've got them finished, send them through otherwise sit back, enjoy some advance wars!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:18 pm

If you go to the main page, the post is live with the articles I've received and links to both Gip's stream/the chat. And even a poll. Fweee.

Happy Anniversary Advance Wars!

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:10 am

Have been playing aw again today. Also reread the topic I made when I bought days of ruin because today reminded me of it. >_> I seem quite noobish.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:41 pm

I adore Girl's article.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Funny take on discovering that a game may *gasp* not be balanced at all.(Cue Xen hackmania). I think my moment with that was when I discovered Colin's crazy abilities and SCOP (astronomic attack raise with 9500 money per city? Yes please!). And of course, AWDS tags shatter any notion of balance>_>

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:53 am

Yeah, Girl's article was great. Is Girl a member here?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 am

It's either an AWNer or an anonymous article. :)