Mobile-Friendly Forum Style, Misc Fields Updates

Forum news. If you are a new member, please read the Forum Rules.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Mobile-Friendly Forum Style, Misc Fields Updates

Post by Xenesis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I've added a few new profile fields to the forum for various internet-related shenanigans. I've also retired the DOR Friend Code field as it's no longer useful or important.

Secondly of all, all ~50 of you on darksunyellow have been defaulted back to prosilver. (Oops). Sorry, but you'll have to reselect it. Regardless, its life will be temporary.

I'm currently setting up two new styles for WWN, one will replace DSY and the other will be added to the forum as a mobile-phone friendly theme.

Temporary puush images
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Style Modifications Incoming

Post by Xenesis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:30 pm

Artodia (Mobile Theme) is now active and you are allowed to select it. If you're on a mobile device, it should also automatically switch you to the mobile theme, even as a guest. All pages should also now have a 'switch to mobile/switch to full' toggle.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Sven

Re: Mobile-Friendly Forum Style, Misc Fields Updates

Post by Sven » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:45 pm

why are you killing darksunyellow ._.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Sven wrote:why are you killing darksunyellow ._.
Sadly, it was long overdue. DSY hasn't been updated in forever. It's years and years behind the times.

Also, I'm super thrilled for a mobile friendly theme!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:30 pm

I woke up to mobile theme this morning, makes things a lot easier. Aaaand it comes right after a week of suffering through mobile mafia. :<

Just kidding, great update. I'm just darksunyellow for a few days now, it's nice, but as HPD said, it's kind of outdated, quick reply not existing etc. Having been using prosilver for most of it's existence, but that one just lacks character.

>_> Can you unhide the post count someday? I'm sure we're all mature enough to handle our data by this point, and I'm just curious how much it is after 7 years or so.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Dragonite wrote:>_> Can you unhide the post count someday? I'm sure we're all mature enough to handle our data by this point, and I'm just curious how much it is after 7 years or so.
It would just feel genuinely wrong by this point.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:59 am

Nooooo not dsy :(

I hope whatever replacement you roll out is still good

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:22 am

Man, this mobile theme makes foruming on the 3ds tolerable of all things.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:11 am

Where's the "View New Posts" button in the mobile skin?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:13 am

Linkman wrote:Where's the "View New Posts" button in the mobile skin?
Hit the search icon and it'll be one of the menu options.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:22 pm

My computer seems to be defaulting me to the mobile style (which, unsurprisingly, doesn't look very good on a large screen). I can change to the full style, but the mobile one always greets me when I first visit the forum.

Is there some way I can change that?
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:12 pm

That's odd. It should be saved with the forum cookie whether you're using the mobile or a normal style. You can still select the mobile style as the default style too.

It relies on the useragent of your browser to pick what you're viewing it with...what are you using? I'll have a look.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:12 am

The one thing that kinda bothers me about the mobile version is how you can distinguish new posts only by the boards being a slightly lighter shade of green.

For the rest it's a HUGE improvement over what it used to be.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:49 am

I'm using Firefox (not sure how to check the exact version), and when I look at my forum settings after clicking the "switch to full style" button I'm set to prosilver, but whenever I close the browser and open it again the forum immediately puts me on the mobile style.

I guess I could try switching styles in the forum settings while in the mobile style and see if that works any better.

Edit: If I do that, it keeps me in mobile style until I click "switch to full style". Apparently some part of whatever process decides these things isn't recognizing "prosilver" as "not the mobile style by default".
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:16 am

HPD wrote:The one thing that kinda bothers me about the mobile version is how you can distinguish new posts only by the boards being a slightly lighter shade of green.

For the rest it's a HUGE improvement over what it used to be.
I should be able to change the colour, that's not an issue. I might go make it something more distinguishable.
Dragon Fogel wrote:I'm using Firefox (not sure how to check the exact version), and when I look at my forum settings after clicking the "switch to full style" button I'm set to prosilver, but whenever I close the browser and open it again the forum immediately puts me on the mobile style.

I guess I could try switching styles in the forum settings while in the mobile style and see if that works any better.

Edit: If I do that, it keeps me in mobile style until I click "switch to full style". Apparently some part of whatever process decides these things isn't recognizing "prosilver" as "not the mobile style by default".
That's really strange and I don't know what to say. I'm using firefox myself, but it definitely doesn't do that behaviour. Perhaps try clearing all the cookies related to WWN and try again? :S

QWERTYman

Post by QWERTYman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:06 am

i tried to access the site with my samsung tab 3 10'1.
it first shows the green mobile site but then automatically shows the desktop version.
not a real problem for me as i have my own wifi and find the current site design more appealing
,but i thought i would let you know that in chrome on an android tab the site automatically switches.

p.s.i hope i didn't miss something obvious
p.p.s.oh yeah btw i'm back.don't know if it will last.