Shiny new site!

Forum news. If you are a new member, please read the Forum Rules.
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Shiny new site!

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Take a look!

We've had this planned for a good while, and it's finally up. (We kind of procrastinated a lot until outside events forced us to actually work on it.)

There's still some cleaning up to do, but all of the map strategies we had are up, as is most of the supplemental information. Let us know if you find any major issues.

Enjoy!
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Shiny new site!

Post by Xenesis » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Hooray!
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:59 pm

I dunno about you guys, but that's a HUGE font size

danieru

Post by danieru » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:05 pm

Not to be harsh but that text-align: center is _way_ overdone. It causes the text to be hard for me to read.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm more touchy about the green background than the huge font and centered texts... it kinda clashes with the rest imo.
Otherwise it's cool.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:14 pm

Just for a bit of background information on this: we've had the ideas for a new website running around since december 2006. Yes, that is nearly EIGHT years of development hell. In the end, it was the fact that our old website lost its PHP support this week that finally coerced us into actually executing the move. And yes, the old website did break down yesterday, in case you missed it. We were just in time to get ourselves sorted or otherwise we would've lost the site.

Let's all give a massive shout-out to Dragon Fogel, for shoveling boatloads of content on to the new site, a task that was so big no one else really dared to start with. And, of course, to Xenesis, who has spent hours and hours today tweaking the site to make it actually readable.

It's still going through development as we speak, but the basic design is there. We're still looking for someone to do a bit of graphical tweaking to make it even prettier, so if anyone's feeling up for that, just post or contact Xen. As none of us are any good at that stuff, we could really use some help with that.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:33 pm

The visual design is terrible. Green background? The cartoon faces at top also become invisible if you maximise the window on a wide screen

It looks worse than the old site which is quite an achievement

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:27 am

monkymeet wrote:I dunno about you guys, but that's a HUGE font size
Yeah, I'm still tweaking the template. The font sizes were all out of whack (and the default fonts were terrible).
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:34 am

Is it supposed to look like this? I appreciate that it's a work in progress but it looks like half the banner is cut off and that green is horrid. It's the same on Firefox, Chrome and IE. 1080p.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:15 am

Sadly no-one worked on graphics so we just shoehorned the old ones in. It doesn't quite work, as you can see.

But yeah, the important part is that we can actually update this one :D
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:01 am

I'm going to second/third/nth the "holy font size, Batman!" sentiment. Ow.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:43 am

i forgot this wasn't just a forum
the dream

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Yeah, I fixed the ridiculous default font sizes (for some reason the default body text was 18 pixels, not point but pixels. O_O).

Should be a lot nicer now.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Also, the green background is now gray.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:59 pm

looks much better
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:56 pm

Is someone willing to help with the banner? If nobody can, Ill try to do something, but I'm a crumpets artist.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Looks nice :D

I miss Olaf's Chair though. It had some hilarious content.
But it's good to see that the important stuff is there again, and I'm sure the rest comes in time ^ .
My sig is a void.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:31 am

Could you have mouseover drop-down menus for the AW games near the banner? That way you could get rid of the stuff on the right.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:51 am

Not really keen to get rid of the right side navigation, but having the menus as dropdowns could potentially be done. May require a fair bit of hackery to the template though.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:44 am

I wouldn't bother. Personally I think it'd look too empty that way. But that's just me.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Not to mention that it re-arranges at mobile widths anyway.

danieru

Post by danieru » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:01 pm

I think having the selection always visible on the right is good. It encourages users to explore and shows off the site's content.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:56 pm

danieru wrote:I think having the selection always visible on the right is good. It encourages users to explore and shows off the site's content.
100% agreed. If there wasn't that I would've been "whoa the new site is empty or something", so yeah, seconded.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 am

In the top menu, why is DoR listed before DS? Also could you put colons after Wars for DoR and DS, my OCD is killing me.

The “Vote” button in the poll on the right is grey and the text is invisible for me until mouse-over.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:37 am

Can I just say that a little part of me has died. It was almost completely unchanged since when I joined in 2005 and now it's.... gone. :(

(Keep at it though)

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:46 am

ALAKTORN wrote:In the top menu, why is DoR listed before DS?
Because it's the most recent game. The order goes from newest game to oldest.

If a new game actually gets released, we'll put info for it at the top.

Colons have been added in now.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:07 am

Dragon Fogel wrote:
ALAKTORN wrote:In the top menu, why is DoR listed before DS?
Because it's the most recent game. The order goes from newest game to oldest.
AW1 is 13 years old and AW2 is 12.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 am

Ah yeah, I fixed that.

I also added submenu listings to the top bar.
ALAKTORN wrote:The “Vote” button in the poll on the right is grey and the text is invisible for me until mouse-over.
Yeah, I'll look into the template.
daisy wrote:Can I just say that a little part of me has died. It was almost completely unchanged since when I joined in 2005 and now it's.... gone. :(

(Keep at it though)
It doesn't really work now, but it's still there temporarily.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:34 am

The most obvious thing about the new site (apart from the sparse bit of grey is on the main page because that's where news is meant to go and after the site refresh we have currently no news about wars, the world or otherwise) is that more games don't have "Game Information" pages than games that actually do. I suppose that you could stick some release data, artwork, etc. to fill it up. Maybe have HPD and Linkman rate the games on a scale of Sonja's disappearing glasses to Olaf's beard (with Colin's incredibly long jacket being the obvious middle ground).

Obviously that's not a priority though. More polls come first.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:38 am

Yeah, the plan is to actually have the release information, game mechanics stuff and whatnot in those categories. There's still a fair bit that hasn't been ported over yet (AWDS COs/AW4 COs being an obvious one), aside from the guides which DragonFogel pretty much singlehandedly copied over the entirety of himself.

It'll happen. (And of course more polls come first. What are you mad? The polls kept happening because they were literally the easiest part of the old site to update.)

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:46 am

Shift Breaker wrote:The most obvious thing about the new site (apart from the sparse bit of grey is on the main page because that's where news is meant to go and after the site refresh we have currently no news about wars, the world or otherwise) is that more games don't have "Game Information" pages than games that actually do. I suppose that you could stick some release data, artwork, etc. to fill it up. Maybe have HPD and Linkman rate the games on a scale of Sonja's disappearing glasses to Olaf's beard (with Colin's incredibly long jacket being the obvious middle ground).

Obviously that's not a priority though. More polls come first.
so from 1 to 10

1 - Sonja's disappearing glasses
2 - Max's enormous glued fists
3 - Lash's fro
4 - Drake's cheesy grin
5 - Colin's incredibly long jacket
6 - Sami's kickass machine gun
7 - Andy's double wrenches
8 - Kanbei's long lost sock
9 - Eagle's Lucky goggles
10 - Olaf's Beard.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Linkman wrote:so from 1 to 10

1 - Sonja's disappearing glasses
2 - Max's enormous glued fists
3 - Lash's fro
4 - Drake's cheesy grin
5 - Colin's incredibly long jacket
6 - Sami's kickass machine gun
7 - Andy's double wrenches
8 - Kanbei's long lost sock
9 - Eagle's Lucky goggles
10 - Olaf's Beard.
Yeah, that seems right. Good order, too. Credit is due for avoiding the obvious pencil that Jess has (I mean, you use that to write the review, obviously) and Eagle's scarf that somehow stays flapping even though there is no wind.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 pm

So, uh, the transparent blue navigation bar is nice.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:27 am

What's so incredible about colin's trench coat?

Other than them having those in kid sizes

muramasa

Post by muramasa » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:41 am

The website looks nice on mobile. There is a typo on AW2 Andy's page, though (just found it randomly).
Otherwise, I agree with Narts: there's nothing special about Colin's trench coat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks, I've fixed that up. And while I was at it, I fixed up an error I noticed in Andy's AW1 writeup too.

Why you so difficult, Andy? :andy:

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:15 am

Minor announcement, but it involves actually updating the site, so it seems worth noting.

We're planning on adding overviews for the various game modes. Here's one for AW1 Campaign. We'll be adding similar overviews to the other games and modes in the near future.

Most of this is probably old news to a lot of you, but I figured we should actually get the information up on the site somewhere. Especially the scoring details.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Blurk, got all the AWDS CO information transferred across.

And approximately 8 years too late, we now have pages for the AW4 COs. :P

I think I need to do updates that don't require me to rip dozens of images from DS ROMs....The site is nicely navigable even on a 3DS, so that's something. I'm happy with that.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:38 pm

Dragon Fogel wrote:Minor announcement, but it involves actually updating the site, so it seems worth noting.

We're planning on adding overviews for the various game modes. Here's one for AW1 Campaign. We'll be adding similar overviews to the other games and modes in the near future.

Most of this is probably old news to a lot of you, but I figured we should actually get the information up on the site somewhere. Especially the scoring details.
That said, you can’t actually see the score in Campaign. You only get to see the average of all your scores at the end. On top of this, there’s an annoying and unexplained glitch where you might get 999 on every map but end up with your final total displaying 998.
Rub it in. :(

EDIT: Thinking about it though, there's two options for that: either both Fogel and I both didn't notice we got a less than perfect S-Rank, or there's actually a rounding error in the game. I think at some point Xen said he'd check it out.