Working on an AW2 New Meta Hack

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Satel

Re: Working on an AW2 New Meta Hack

Post by Satel » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 pm

I think I kinda broke Sonja's utility, but her stats being bland with the occasional bad luck help make her not so overpowered.
As for Adder, he has also has -30% counters, in case you didn't bother to read the first post all over again.
I'm also looking for a way to nerf Grit somehow.

Also, I nerfed artillery in this hack, they do around 70% of the damage they used to do. I can only hope the copter resupply on cities thing works now, though, as I have not yet had time to test this in particular.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:27 am

I don't really know what pure arty boosts//range boosts without power boosts do when the arty are 3-4 range instead of 2-3.

The Sonja has so many abilities the only way I could really evaluate her is by taking some time to play her myself. AW2 Sonja involved being hyperaggressive with infantry/recon/tanks and hoping your opp fudge up somewhere in inf micromanagement because hidden HP lol. I'm not sure what role this Sonja is supposed to take against most opponents. It's probably settled on a case by case basis, the mechs are probably enough that she can compete in direct v direct stuff, the arty are enough that she straight up wins indirect v indirect stuff. Maybe you just play a mixed long game against her until her bad luck makes her fudge a choke or something.
---
+1 range usually means your opponent has no hope of building an arty ball that can compete with yours. It's an incredibly dangerous ability that I've never really been comfortable with.
---
i don't know what damage the arty do at the moment. it usually doesn't matter as long as it's not ridiculously low, but idk what the hack started with. i'll take a look later this week.

svenguest

Post by svenguest » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:45 am

not gonna get to the saves till tomorrow morning, sorry about the delay guys.

Satel

Post by Satel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:35 am

Here is a new patch to nerf Sonja.

Next patch is going to come only after I complete the damage chart, expect a few days between now and then.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:24 am

yeah good call

I have some craaazyyy suggestions for making some guys contenders / differentiate them from others

Olaf 3/7
100/110
110/120 snow
120/130 snow 2 md

Grit 3/7

KANBEI 4/7
100/120 110% costs (maybe 120%?)
140/140
140/140 x2 counters

Sonja 3/6
100/100 FS counters @ 40% no positive luck (and no extra bad luck!)
110/110 FS counters @ 60% -1 enemy terrain def
120/120 FS counters @ 80% -2 enemy terrain def
if messing with terrain def is too hard then 40/80/120 counters

FLAK 3/6
130/80
150/90
170/100

no one plays fog just putting that out there
need to play more with the green guys but pure naval / air maps aren't a thing either

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:33 am

Well, sadly for you I don't intend of putting most of these on.

Olaf: Right now I don't know what to do with him, but 100/110 is already Lash's thing.

Grit: I'm indeed looking for a way to nerf him, but just adding one star to his CO Meter won't be it.

Kanbei: There's just no way I'm taking away his d2d attack. No. EFFing. Way.

Sonja: I don't intend to give her that gimmick they gave her in DS, as I find it very unfitting.

Flak: I don't want another Grimm.

Also, I would like games to be played in Fog, actually. I buffed unit vision for something.

Pure naval/air isn't a thing but I'm not looking for it to be a thing. I don't see what point you're trying to make here.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:52 pm

i'm not against playing with fog stuff if people want to fudge around with that. it'll be a whole different world from anything i'm used to though, the only fog matches i had were against some DoR player really early on

edit: is it possible to allow indirects to counterattack? that would possibly make sense as a sonja ability, if it didn't end up ridiculously good

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:03 pm

I actually intend on having indirects being able to counterattack as long as the attacking unit is in their range.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:20 pm

cute! looking forward to it

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:14 pm

I am unsure as to how one would play a Fog of War match with save states. I imagine you would need a third person to mediate.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:47 am

AW1/2 really lacked a "pass the gameboy" waiting screen.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:49 am

I seem to remember there was such a screen.

The problem with savestates in FoW is that it's very hard for your opponent not to peek I guess. Seems fine for testing the hack though.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:43 am

The "pass to gameboy" screen is present in AW2 indeed.

Satel

Post by Satel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:55 am

Here is a new patch.

Yes, a new patch. No CO changes though, but I am extremely proud to give you my first assembly code hack: a defense formula change!

(I did correct the terrain changes I made just to have Lash not reach 210% def on her HQ during her SCOP, though)

EDIT: The Damage Chart is still in the works, don't worry.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:06 am

Well, guess what: I was lying. Here is a patch with ground matchups done.

I expect to have to nerf mechs soon. Anyways, enjoy.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:21 pm

Here is a new patch.

Fixes:
- Eagle and Jess's SCOPs were giving -5 range instead of -1. Needless to say, it broke the game.
- Jess's COP used to not give movement or range.
- APC movement finally changed to Mech.
- Drake and Olaf used to have normal movement under their respective weathers, fixed to perfect movement.

Other changes:
- Eagle and Jess's SCOPs now only give -2 movement instead of -3.
- Jess's COP now also gives +10% attack to ground units and +1 range to indirects.
- Cruisers don't attack air units with their missiles anymore.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Post by Satel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:34 am

Here is another one.

I'll give you a hint: the damage chart is finished.
It is subject to change soon, at your demand.

Now I can work on something more complicated...

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat May 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Here is a little something I have been asked for a while ago but didn't remember I didn't provide: the damage chart as it is now.

Enjoy.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 am

Added a to-do list.

I will certainly need help along the way, though, any of it would be greatly appreciated.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Here is the new patch.

Lash changes in the menu. She's even more broken than she used to be, now... Expect nerfs soon.
EDIT: Terrain firepower nerfed back to 10%, she should be fairer now.

st3rn fudge st3rn

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:13 pm

What sort of parameters do you envision as in a "final" build, as if code limitations were not present?

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:57 pm

I don't really see what you mean by this...

st3rn fudge st3rn