Dual Strike - Extra Code Space Loader (ARMIPS)

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Dual Strike - Extra Code Space Loader (ARMIPS)

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:42 pm

With thanks to absolutely heinous abuse of the file loading functions of AWDS, I've managed to get it to load extra data into RAM that can be used as a location to add ASM code to the game. Please test it, it's been very sensitive to slight changes on my end, considering how hacky the hook is. On the other hand, space for new ASM code! :geflash:

Download Link

This is an ARMIPS module where basically on compile it appends extra data to the arm9overlay_0004.bin file, and copies it to unused portions of RAM before it gets overwritten.

The two RAM locations are:
Ram One Block: 0x0226B3B0 to 228FF58 - 0x24ba0 Long (approx)
Ram Two Block: 0x023E9918 to 23FF808 - 0x1f7e0 long (approx)

Theoretically should be able to add a bit more, but that should be enough to get started with. Those addresses are allocated normally within the ARMIPS files (see Overlaymain.asm)

When compiling, compile main.asm, then separately compile overlayconcatenate.asm
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

RadioShadow

Re: Dual Strike - Extra Code Space Loader (ARMIPS)

Post by RadioShadow » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:18 am

Sorry for noob question, but what do you use to compile it?

The good news is that is plenty of space to just add War Room maps / Unit data in.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 am

You can just download armips on romhacking.net.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:23 am

Just as another note, the Ram Block 2 region doesn't seem to be entirely unused as I thought.

For the meantime you can just comment out the part of the loader that does that, but I'll investigate some more. Ram Block 1 region seems to work beautifully though.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.