What are YOU working on?

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Xen

Re: What are YOU working on?

Post by Xen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Watch the tank brigade before and after the power :P

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 pm

oh crap

how are you gonna top this one

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 16, 2010 10:44 pm

I'll just drop this here.

IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sun May 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Well... that is pretty damn awesome.
Do you know what happens together with D2D's?

So Sami's Vet Tank is 110/120 while Max' Vet Tank is 140/120, or is it... slightly different?
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:54 pm

A bit of retro styling.

Edit: I just realised I didn't respond to this....
ThunderWalker wrote:So Sami's Vet Tank is 110/120 while Max' Vet Tank is 140/120, or is it... slightly different?
It's additive, so yes. Sami would have a 110/120 Vet Tank. Hawke would have a 130/120 one, Grit would have an 100/120 one, etc.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:30 pm

And now for hack of the day: Random CO selects

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:11 am

The random CO button is a good addition :)
As long as it doesn't replace an existing CO, that is.
Xenesis wrote:
ThunderWalker wrote:So Sami's Vet Tank is 110/120 while Max' Vet Tank is 140/120, or is it... slightly different?
It's additive, so yes. Sami would have a 110/120 Vet Tank. Hawke would have a 130/120 one, Grit would have an 100/120 one, etc.
:)
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:31 am

ThunderWalker wrote:The random CO button is a good addition :)
As long as it doesn't replace an existing CO, that is :)
Nah, it uses an unused slot.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:58 am

How many unused slots are available?
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Depends on how much code rejiggering you want to do.

For a hack like that, as many as you want pretty much. For anything else you're going to have to do some major data shifting.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:54 am

ImageImage

:D

Comparsion:

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:54 am

Where did you left the Recon and the Flare?

However, this is pretty damn awesome.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:07 am

Recon kind of got merged with the APC.

Flare I just didn't include.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:42 pm

Xenesis wrote:Recon kind of got merged with the APC.
Why?
Flare I just didn't include.
Why?

Also, why is Sonja a Black Hole CO and what's up with that Artillery-ship between the Submarine and the Cruiser?
That is definately NOT the gunboat.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:12 pm

For the specifics of the hack, there was nothing that the recon/flare's specific functions would be useful for coupled with the fact that a flare effect would be a royal pain in the bum.
Also, why is Sonja a Black Hole CO and what's up with that Artillery-ship between the Submarine and the Cruiser?
Because I typo'd something when making up the screenshot (I changed sonja's current army to something different). And of course it isn't. The gunboat is to the far left :P

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:18 pm

I really hope that's not a spider tank in the lower right corner.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:25 pm

No, it's an unholy abomination that is a fusion of missiles/rockets and a bit of copypasting as a placeholder sprite.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:51 am

What's a "spider-tank"?
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

JSRulz

Post by JSRulz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:59 am

A reference to Custom Wars actually...

A Spider-Tank was a made up Tank that can travel over mountains and rivers.
Verdict: Broken
Never got past the voting booth.

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:50 am

Xenesis wrote:ImageImage

:D

Comparsion:
Would it be possible to implant that as a separate feature? Make an IPS to just make those stats changes.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:05 am

Should be able to, although some of the changes I made removed the -1/2/3 for move/range.

That being said there might be few enough units in AW2 default that I wouldn't need to remove that (it causes a crash otherwise).

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:34 pm

The screenshots make it seem like you're replacing old units with custom ones. Is this because there's no room in the ROM for new units or because there's no room in the spritesheet? And if the latter, can stuff be rearranged to fit a higher unit count?
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

Xen

Post by Xen » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Some of the units are indeed being replaced.

The way the data is structured in AW2, there are slots for 24 units of which AW2 uses 19.

UID 0x4, 0x9, 0xC, 0xD and 0x12 are unused.

I've used all 24 slots in the hack, even with some unit functions being merged into other units. The expansion required beyond this would be significant amounts of work, because while you can move the damage chart tables you'll run into problems with the Overworld map sprites - the area of RAM they're held in is already rather squishy.

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 am

I have made a Balanced Hack of my own using Nightmare 2 and a bit Hex Workshop (for the texts and COP names), but it's not finished yet, even if I'm almost done. :a:
I'd really like to know how to make the defense gauges and the retro styling, I really love these! :s:
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Save file shenanigans.
I'd really like to know how to make the defense gauges
A hell of a lot of code wrangling and assembly, really. I'm sure I can clean it up in future to work for standard AW2 however there are a few caveats.
and the retro styling, I really love these! :s:
Adjust the value at 0x0807FEAA to your liking.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:51 am

With much <3 to Nintenlord from FEU, thanks to him making a modification of his MAR Inserter:

All I need to do is fix up the tileset to align properly with the in-game one.

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:34 am

I read the posts above, and I took a good look at Veterancy. Is that too really hard to do on AW2? If not, would you explain how to do?
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:28 am

For the veterancy to work, I had to write a reasonable amount of new code, as follows:

-Edit Damage Formula to use veterancy to add to offence/defence
-Edit 'On Kill' routine to increment veterancy
-Edit graphics display routines to read and display said veterancy icons (There was about four I had to dig up, if I recall and the code was actually rather involved)
-Edit the join routine to merge vetlevels correctly

I might be able to do a standalone patch at some point, but the way I've done it is kind of tied into Project's code mainly due to what I've mutilated the damage formula to :P

Satel

Post by Satel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:15 am

OK, I'll be waiting for this, so.
Thanks for the explanation anyway.

st3rn fudge st3rn

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:49 am

Nothing too exciting. I just put this together:

Basically, the map and unit data in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (and Dark Conflict) are stored in the "map" and "dispos" folders. Problem is, Intelligent Systems don't know the meaning of "organising" and have giving the files odd names.

With this tool, I'll be able to tell which map and units go with each map header and hopefully organise them better (renaming them as well).

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:16 am

Considering that IS is japanese, the folders are probably named in Japanese. <_<;

I remember that being the case when I was poking around in the maps category anyhow.

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:19 am

I've been working on a "Advance wars: Days of Ruin - Map Header Editor":

That "???" data from what I can tell does nothing. I think it was just a note to the developers on if the map is from the previous AW games or not. Some have "04" which seems to be on maps from previous games. Campaign maps use the value "01" and some previous "War Room" maps like "Lands End". "00" is set for most of the new maps.

Now I can go and tidy the maps up!

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:55 am

Just a Tag Power Editor I've worked on for the past week. Just got to write a read me before releasing.

Each Tag Power name is actually stored twice in the rom. So there are two different pointers leading to the same text name "Windfall". So you could give Rachel and Nell the same pointer and use the other for a new tag power name. :)

From the screenshot, you will notice Eagle's tag partners are in hits order:
Tag 1 = Sami
Tag 2 = Drake
Tag 3 = Andy

In the game however, it is stored based on the ID list the game uses (see Xen's second post: viewtopic.php?t=1057). So it is stored in the profile as so:
Tag 1 = Andy
Tag 2 = Sami
Tag 3 = Drake

It confused me at first when I was looking at the data.

There is a mistake on the CO Guide where it says Adder and Hawke get a 105% power. Well this is only true if Adder activates the tag first. It is 100% if Hawke activates the tag first. This is the case for all regions.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Custom CO Power Animation Medley

So I just finished putting together a new system for customisable COP Animations of the standard type. It is pretty flexible so I put together a video just showing some minor examples. It'll be uploaded here when I finish a few loose ends.

Andy - Mecha Repair: Heals Units on Capturable Properties
Max - Limit Break: Animates Units with Less than 3 HP
Grit - Double Barrel: Reanimates Indirect Units
Sami - X-Transfer: Animates on Units Transporting a Unit
Eagle - First Strike: Animates on Units not in Wait Mode

Fish-killer

Post by Fish-killer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm currently working on making olaf awesome.
:jugger:: Bolt Guard statistical assessment: Powerful. Smart. Handsome. Bolt Guard intent: Smack-laying in a downward direction.

best Advance Wars online game ever: http://aweternalwar.proboards.com/index.cgi

Dakka": slang for rapid fire capability, based on the onomatopoeia for automatic guns shooting. You need moar of it. No exceptions.

Satel

Post by Satel » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 pm

It's nothing new. I managed to do it by giving him 100/110 units, and perfect movement in snow.
But awesome doesn't mean balanced. And my brother considers he's bottom tier the way I made him now...

st3rn fudge st3rn

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:03 am

Working with my new AW project, which will include massive amount of change everywhere you look, and it IS literally everywhere you look..

IS's original T34 sprite depicts the t34 85 model, which was rather bland and cartoony, making it not badass enough. That have urged me to modify it to be as closest as possible to the real life T34/76 mod 41, which is an epic looking tank with a cool looking protruding gun mantlet.
Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxKjJVHN28

Note, Max's tanks do look quite weird to be honest, it was my test sprite to see how NLZ GBA Graphic Editor would work. It was suppose to be a SU 76 self propelled AT gun.

EDIT:
Pzkpfw VI Ausf F2 sprite 8)

Remember not to feed the animals

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:04 pm

While I'm not a history buff (and don't use the animations) this is rad. :D

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:47 am

Is the Tiger the Mid or Neo? A Panther sprite for the Neo would be ridiculously awesome.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Guest wrote:Is the Tiger the Mid or Neo? A Panther sprite for the Neo would be ridiculously awesome.
There are only one Neotank sprite, so it wouldn't fit very well if I replace it with the Panther.

I'm my self wondering what I should replace the Green Earth MD tank with, either the Tiger or the Panther. Since in my hack, the MD tank has been modified to be a sort of Psuedo Megatank (It's very tough and have low movement, and can fire further than normal tanks, however it's attack is rather weak, cost 12000, useful being a meatshield and for fire support.). Which means that Tiger would fit it very well in role. However, since all Green Earth COs utilize alot of mobility, a Panther would fit their style more.

I'm in the process of replacing the Orange Star tank to be the M3 General Grant, and their MD tank to be the Matilda.
Remember not to feed the animals