Advance Wars 2 Nightmare2 Modules.

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Advance Wars 2 Nightmare2 Modules.

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:37 am

Offset where my custom build list is: 0x(00)61d700
Pointer to the offset: 00d76100
This is your problem - your pointer should be 0x0861D700, which you would enter as 00 D7 61 08.

Any pointer that points to a location in ROM needs '08' in front of it, as currently that pointer is reading garbage data from beyond the BIOS instead of from the ROM. Hopefully that fixes your initial problem.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Drippan

Post by Drippan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:19 am

Thanks a lot man.

Another question, if you don't mind: I'm doing a bit graphic hacking and I'm using Unlz gba to find pictures and replace, but I'm wondering if there's a better program I should use. The thing that bothers me the most with Unlz is that I can't search for an offset.

I want to find the overworld sprites for units, thanks to your wonderful research in this thread (viewtopic.php?t=1218) I know where the sprites are located (10E6E0 for OS overworld sprites), but I can't access them.

Again, help is very much appreciated!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 am

I wholly recommend GBA Graphics Editor by Nintenlord.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Drippan

Post by Drippan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:05 am

That program is great, thanks. I have another problem. I want to edit the name of the unit I just added and add information for him. I've been trying to figure this out on my own but it's not going well.

Okay so if we look at the datasheet for the fighter
Fighter datasheet example
C508 D608
DA08 007 0A00 0909 0204 0101 6301 0000
0000 0000 0204 1005 0101 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 3764 0064 6400
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
7C57 5D08 9C57 5D08
C508 tells the game what the name of this unit is. But what exactly is 'C508'? Is it a pointer? I've followed that pointer (I enter it as 00C5, right? I've tried all combinations anyway; 08C5, C508, etc) but what I see when I arrive doesn't make much sense to me. I thought C508 would point to a location which points to another location where the information for the Figher is held (604a3c) but it doesn't. If it did I could easily re-point to a location where I've added the name of the unit.

Again, any help is appreciated

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:47 am

C508 isn't a pointer. The GBA reads C508 as 08C5, which is 2245 in hex.
The GBA then reads the 2245th text and as you can guess, it's "Fighter".
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Drippan

Post by Drippan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:36 am

Thanks.

Does anyone know how many texts there are in the rom?
I need to know because then I know how to point to the text I've added at the end of the rom (free space).

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:03 am

I don't know exactly, but you better not mess with it.
For example, search the actual location of Lucky Star text (which is 604B4C).
Look for a pointer which points 604B4C (ctrl-F 4C4B6008), and you find the pointer to Nell's COP Name (it is at 612DC0). You just have to change it. Hope it's explained well enough.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Drippan

Post by Drippan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:03 am

The final text data is found at offset 610a2c ('Black hole'). It's the 3315th text in the rom.

I wrote some text at the end of the rom, now I was hoping the game would count this text as the 3316th text, but it didn't. I tested this by changing the Fighter's name to the text I added. But the game froze when I tried to view the build list on an Airport.

^ maybe this little bit of information will help someone, or contribute to something, I don't know just posting it..

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:02 am

Then maybe these numbers are the number of the pointer...? you could try to find pointers to the name of the units, I would do it easily, but it's late and I'm a bit lazy.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:04 am

Yes, the numbers refers to which pointer to use.

There is a huge block of pointers which basically point to text strings. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to add more strings to the end (The game doesn't have very much range checking at all) but you'll need to find the pointer list and add your new pointer to point at your text string. The reason it is crashing currently is because it is likely the pointer is just 00 00 00 00 which points to absolutely nothing at all :P

If the text parser loads null values it crashes, hence your freeze.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello Xen, it seems like some of the options in the misc section don't work correctly. The "terrain star gives fire power" modifier seems to scales the amount of stars in properties by haft instead of scaling the damage added. Like before the changes where made, mountains have 4 stars, after the change, only 2 stars remains. Also, I have no idea on how to use the "initial hard campaign mission" option. Any changes I made, it doesn't do anything different when I start a new hard campaign.
Remember not to feed the animals

JSlayerXero

Post by JSlayerXero » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:06 am

Mark_009_vn wrote:Hello Xen, it seems like some of the options in the misc section don't work correctly. The "terrain star gives fire power" modifier seems to scales the amount of stars in properties by haft instead of scaling the damage added. Like before the changes where made, mountains have 4 stars, after the change, only 2 stars remains.
There's an option for that? o_o Well, that would make for an interesting CO idea. Half terrain stars + perfect movement = :shock:

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 am

Except the thing with terrain stars affects EVERY CO.

st3rn fudge st3rn

JSlayerXero

Post by JSlayerXero » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:02 am

Really? Eh, oh well. Still, it's an interesting idea. And furthermore, who would've thought that was even in the game? I mean, if someone could use that during a power... Man. Oh well. That would be interesting. Now, if only I were in a position where I could actually hack AW2...

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:11 pm

JSlayerXero wrote:Really? Eh, oh well. Still, it's an interesting idea. And furthermore, who would've thought that was even in the game? I mean, if someone could use that during a power... Man. Oh well. That would be interesting. Now, if only I were in a position where I could actually hack AW2...
It was a part of Lash's "firepower increases through terrain star" D2D ability.
http://advancewars.wikia.com/wiki/Lash#CO_abilities

The modifier was suppose to change the amount of damage given to her per terrain star. Normally each star gives her +10 attack, I only want it to be +5 attack so I changed it. However, the result was completely unexpected, as the terrain stars (which yes affects all COs of any nature) was cut in haft and rounded down. I wanted to report this bug so that Xen could fix it.
Remember not to feed the animals

JSlayerXero

Post by JSlayerXero » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:37 am

I think I can see why. Since the game is hard-coded to use 10%, the way to halve it is to use half terrain stars. And since any CO "could" potential use it, it affect all. I think that's how it works anyways.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:18 am

I'll give this a look later when I get a chance and report back.

It is very possible that I've typo'd/ballsed something up.

Utahdude

Post by Utahdude » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Whenever I try to use the modules I get an error message stating that it is not a valid Win32 application

Xen

Post by Xen » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:21 am

Hi,

You need to load the nightmare2 application and you need to have java installed (www.java.com). Open up nightmare and open your module to edit the file.

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:07 am

I've been changing some modules recently, but some really would be more practical if they were tables. Is it possible to make modules in that form?

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 am

What do you mean, precisely?

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Well, I'm currently trying to do a damage editor, so being able to make it a table would be more appropriate than the long lists like I made with the Dual Strike one.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:14 am

Ah yeah. Nightmare doesn't support that.

You could however modify the AW1/AW2 damage chart editor that's floating around here (It's java and the source is posted)

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:22 am

Sadly, the AW1/AW2 damage editor doesn't run on my computer, and I still don't know how to proceed with source. I'll work on that.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Fish-killer

Post by Fish-killer » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:14 pm

You know that file, the one you've given a name ending in .7z? well, ending a file name with a . changes what file type it is. My computer can't run ".7" files. Please fix this naming error.
:jugger:: Bolt Guard statistical assessment: Powerful. Smart. Handsome. Bolt Guard intent: Smack-laying in a downward direction.

best Advance Wars online game ever: http://aweternalwar.proboards.com/index.cgi

Dakka": slang for rapid fire capability, based on the onomatopoeia for automatic guns shooting. You need moar of it. No exceptions.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:32 pm

I don't host Nightmare2 so I can't fix that.

7zips can be opened with 7zip or some other similar application.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:11 pm

WinRAR can open them just as fine.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Fish-killer

Post by Fish-killer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:49 pm

it's not about the zips or rars. I got them just fine. it's the .JAR file I need, and I can't get it if it's been uploaded wrongly!
:jugger:: Bolt Guard statistical assessment: Powerful. Smart. Handsome. Bolt Guard intent: Smack-laying in a downward direction.

best Advance Wars online game ever: http://aweternalwar.proboards.com/index.cgi

Dakka": slang for rapid fire capability, based on the onomatopoeia for automatic guns shooting. You need moar of it. No exceptions.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:51 am

I just downloaded and unzipped the file - it's fine. nightmare2 is in the dist folder (as for a standard project distribution)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:33 am

Updated the module pack because someone informed me I forgot to update it when I made the Custom CO topic in the Custom COs forum :P

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:03 am

I still can't get it to work. First, I open Nightmare 2, then I open the ROM.
Then I'm searching for the NMM files, and I open them with Nightmare 2.0. And then... nothing happens.

Whatever I do, I don't get anything like the screens on the first post of this thread. What am I doing wrong?
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:07 pm

How terrible is your computer? It could just be taking ages to load.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:19 pm

The computer didn't give a damn. Even no hourglass is shown.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:25 pm

That wasn't my question though.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:39 am

Yes, but my computer isn't slow at allEverything else works properly. I don't think a 2.3 Ghz triple core processor and 4 GB RAM is bad :)
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:22 am

Well, without personally going over to and screwing around with your computer I have NFI.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:27 pm

What's NFI?
My sig is a void.

Satel

Post by Satel » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:00 pm

No F***ing Idea?

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Yup.

GreenEarth

Post by GreenEarth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:46 am

Any word on that issue where the terrain stars get cut in half?