Advance Wars 2 Nightmare2 Modules.

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
no one

Re: Advance Wars 2 Nightmare2 Modules.

Postby no one » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:47 am

I couldn't find a way to edit shop and R-button menu... I already tried to remove the pointer part from it. Example: 08499734 - I search 00499734 in the hex editor but I think it's something else. However, I've done this to edit transport abilities of the T-Copter and it worked fine after testing (F463 5D08 becomes 085D63F4 after converting to little endian and 005D63F4 after removing the pointer). So I still need some explanation for this part... :geshrug: I tried to edit the damage of some units (existing ones, not dummys) and the result worked well (I was able to transform AW2 cruiser into AWDS one and let Mechs attack Copters with Bazzookas). I've also found some errors in some info related to the damage of units in this forum (I think the sub-forum was Units Datasheet at viewtopic.php?t=4):

Mech: 5D5B74 instead of 5d5B64 (C?)

Bomber: 5D60D8 instead of 5D60d0

Cruiser: 5D62A4 instead of 5D629C (5D62A0?)

Dummy (the last one, between the Bomber and the B-Copter): 5D6134 instead of 5D612C

If I find something like this again I will put the new info in this forum. Once again thank you for the help.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Ah, the values I gave you were the actual location of the pointer to edit. Still, seems like you're getting the hang of it.

And yeah, the offsets in that topic are a tad off. I have been meaning to update them but I just never got around to it.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

no one

Postby no one » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:23 am

I'm surprised too... In the beginning of the last week I didn't even know how to apply changes to a rom using the Nightmare2 Modules or edit hex. However, I still haven't managed to add the dummy units to the shop list.... I don't know what to change or where one unit ID begins or finishes (in other words, how much bytes long is the ID) or what order they are. There are also some values that repeat several times. I'm beginning to have headhaches because I'm trying to solve this enigma for, at least, 8 days... Thank you for the help you gave me in the other problems that I had and I'm sorry if I gave you any trouble, but could you help me?

someone

Postby someone » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Please tell me what did you do to make dummies available.
All my tests failed so I almost abandoned, but now I have a hope of making new air and sea units available.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 pm

To make them available in the shop to purchase you need to do two things:

Edit the build location bits so they can actually be built at a port/airport/base.
Edit the Build List Menu.

The list itself is a sequence of unit IDs (one per byte) and the end of the list is marked with an 0xFF.
The list is at 0x(08)1BA054
The pointer to this list is at 0x(08)090C08

As it fits pretty snuggly in there, edit the pointer to free space and just make your own list.

To make it not crash they need to have a shop pic screen like the normal units.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Satel

Postby Satel » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:59 am

I don't manage to make this available w/o crashin' my game...
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:50 pm

Did you give the new units an appropriate shop/r-button panel? It'll crash if you don't (You can give it one that belongs to another unit, that's no issue)

Satel

Postby Satel » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:57 am

Forgot the R-Button thing, but you didn't say here how to do this, am I right?
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:17 am

One of the Nightmare2 modules in the pack should do it (Aw2shoppic).

Satel

Postby Satel » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:04 pm

OK, thx! ^^
I didn't care about this one since I didn't really know what it did, and still does :lol: .

st3rn fudge st3rn

no one

Postby no one » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:10 am

Thanks to you Xenesis, I've added 4 units so far AND they are buyable from properties. However, I can't supply them with APCs and a naval unit that I added doesn't capture properties (altough, it is suposed to do so). Is there some data that needs to be modified in order to this two functions work? Also I would like to know if there is a way to modify the momement chart for a single unit (like putting a ship like cruiser travel in rivers, without letting battleships and subs do the same).

Sorry for the grammar mistakes but I think it is possible to understand.

Satel

Postby Satel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:12 pm

You can choose if a unit captures?!
Can you please tell me, cuz I made a new infantry unit, and it can't capture, so...

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:43 pm

There's a routine. From my notes:

08041538 = Compares if Unit ID <= 0x1 (Mech) and thus can capture

You need to modify this to allow other units to capture, but you need to write your own assembly code.

I personally haven't had the problems you've had with supply/naval units. Perhaps check that you've set them to consume fuel properly?

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 am

Don't really understand how it (routine) works, but whatever. A sniper w/o capture abilities is not that bad...
Also, even with the module, I only manage to make one dummy playable... What should I do?

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Postby Satel » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:19 am

Also, my only dummy (a sniper supposed to look like GE or YC infantry) look like B Copters during battle animations... Anyone can tell me why?

st3rn fudge st3rn

no one

Postby no one » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:10 am

The unit that doesn't get supplied by APC's is my Megatank, which is in slot 0x0C. On city it gets supplied and healed. When I try to supply it the "Supply" command doesn't appear. Somehow, my Anti-Tank, which is in slot 0x09, is supplying other units. I would like to know how to fix this, because these are major issues. Also, if possible I would like to know how to add units sprites to the rom and if I have to do sprites with different colors for each nation. Currently I have Unlz.Gba but when I try to import a bitmap it says that "X" must be inferior to "Y" or vice-versa.

by St3rn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:19 am

Also, my only dummy (a sniper supposed to look like GE or YC infantry) look like B Copters during battle animations... Anyone can tell me why?

The same is happening to me (I have an aerial unit -duster- that becomes an artillery in battle animations; Its strange when the unit is over the sea.... It goes back and disappear), but I don't think that's a real problem. Just turn animations off.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Hmm, most unusual.

I'm not exactly sure where the code that controls supplying is, but yeah unit 0x09 will supply as well as the APC. That one has actually been really tricky to track down :/

If you're looking to add sprites, unlz.gba is a bit dated, try Nintenlord's GBA Image Editor. It's a bit more reliable and less buggy.

And yeah, I haven't found what controls battle animation sprites used (mostly through apathy).

chesskelvin

Postby chesskelvin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Xenesis wrote:Did you open a ROM before you tried to open a module?

Sorry for reopening a somewhat old topic, but I to have problems similar to the ones Davie232 and ThunderWalker had.
Anyway, I also have no idea what you meant by opening a ROM before opening a module in Nightmare 2.0. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: My java program is up to date, and I have deleted the files and redownloaded them, but that didn't seem to work.

And does this program create an IPS file after you modify the game mechanics which you then patch onto the AW2 US Rom?

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:24 am

There is a "File" Menu on the main window of Nightmare2. (if you don't see it, you just click the "Select File" Button.
You just have to find your file then, and only after this you will be able to open the modules.

st3rn fudge st3rn

chesskelvin

Postby chesskelvin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:19 pm

I tried your method St3rn but the module still doesn't seem to be opening. Thanks for your help anyway.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Maybe you are trying to open a text file as a module?

st3rn fudge st3rn

chesskelvin

Postby chesskelvin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 am

I am attemting to open the .nmm files. Perhaps the file extention need to be changed?

Satel

Postby Satel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:03 am

No, you have to open NMM files, so you're doing that right.
Are you sure that you are selecting your rom with the select file option?

st3rn fudge st3rn

chesskelvin

Postby chesskelvin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I am. It seems the module is opening since when I click "File" on the top left corner, it gives me a list of options (Save, Save File, Close) which were previously unavailable to select before I used the "Select File" and "Open Module" process. The problem is I can't see a minimised tab anywhere at the bottom of my screen which allows me to access the interface for the module.

Satel

Postby Satel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:34 am

The options becoming available mean that you managed to open your rom, OK.
But after opening the module, you just don't see any window, or am I mistaken?

st3rn fudge st3rn

chesskelvin

Postby chesskelvin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:12 pm

That's exactly the problem I am having. The rom opens fine but I can't see any new window which pops up.

Satel

Postby Satel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Weird. Maybe you can open the task manager to see if you really opened it.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:22 pm

That's really weird guys.

I'm not exactly sure why you're having problems but it isn't my program so :|

chesskelvin

Postby chesskelvin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Hmmm, I still can't get the program to work :(. Ah well, thanks for your help anyway St3rn.

Satel

Postby Satel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:58 pm

try ven if you have opened your rom, to open it once again, and then open your module, maybe this will work for you, cuz it worked for me this morning.

st3rn fudge st3rn

chesskelvin

Postby chesskelvin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Unfortunately that didn't work either :(

Satel

Postby Satel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:10 am

Wow. I tried every trick I had, and no one worked.
Anyway, if you are really motivated, you can still do everything with your hex editor.
I can explain some things to you if you get to having some questions.

st3rn fudge st3rn

southerncross403

Postby southerncross403 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:44 am

What program can I use to unzip the .7z file?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Winzip, Winrar or 7zip should do it.

eliascpsells

Postby eliascpsells » Mon May 02, 2011 2:49 am

ok, i downloaded nightmare 2 mods, but when i try to open it, it says something like: windows cant open this file, it needs to know wat web service its on, and so on. how do i fix this
Professor Frink: "Pi is exactly 3!!!!"

Audience: "*Gasp!!*"
Frink: "I'm sorry it had to come to that."

Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEIwzueG5UI for the funniest Advance Wars parody.

"Have you ever watched yourself die? It is FASCINATING!"

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Mon May 02, 2011 8:22 pm

You need to download the Nightmare2 program, open it up and use it to open the modules.

eliascpsells

Postby eliascpsells » Tue May 03, 2011 8:49 am

which one is the nightmare2 program? also, it said java wasnt working when i checked, and i updated it recently

Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEIwzueG5UI for the funniest Advance Wars parody.

Xen

Postby Xen » Wed May 04, 2011 11:51 am

It's in a link in the first post of this topic. the dl.dropbox one.

And uh, I don't know about your Java problems, I managed to get it to work fine - I used the installer off java.com, though.

eliascpsells

Postby eliascpsells » Wed May 04, 2011 11:59 am

now it says: could not find the main class: nightmare2.app program will now exit. wat do i do?

Drippan

Postby Drippan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:08 am

I'm trying to add a new unit to the game. The unit I'm adding is Glitchy (04).

I've done everything right I believe, but when I click on a factory, the game freezes. Won't even let me see the buy meny.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Here's what I did.

I searced for free space, got an offset, created my own build list: 01 02 04 (this is the new unit) 06 05 03 08 07 0a 0b 0e 0f 10 11 13 14 15 16 17 18 FF

I changed the default pointer at 0x(08)090C08 (this is the location where the pointer uh... points to the place where the build list is) to my own pointer, which redirects (a lil better than 'points' I suppose) to the offset I found with free space finder.

Offset where my custom build list is: 0x(00)61d700
Pointer to the offset: 00d76100

Explained it the best I could, any help is appreciated!

Return to “Syogun Change”