Advance Wars 2/DS/DoR Map Inserter/Editor

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Advance Wars 2/DS/DoR Map Inserter/Editor

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Whee.

Much thanks to Nintenlord of FEUniverse who adapted his MAR Inserter for FE to one for AW2 :D

SO!

Link: AW2 Map Inserter (Includes Mappy, the MAR Inserter and the AW2, AWDS and AWDOR Tileset)
You need .NET 2.0 Runtime Environment

Pretty self explanatory, here's the readme:
Readme wrote:How to insert a map:

AW2:
In Mappy, import the AW2 Tileset (tileset.bmp, 16x16 tilesize) and draw the map as desired.
Save the Map as a .map file
Export the map as a "map array" (.mar file)
Open up Nintenlord's AW Map Inserter.
Specify the Map Array (.mar), Advance Wars 2 ROM (.gba), offset (should be free space) and pointer to update (optional, is in map header)
Run and Enjoy!
And now for the AWDOR version:
AWDoR:
In Mappy, import the AWDoR Tileset (aw4tileset.bmp 16x16 tilesize) and draw the map as desired.
Save the Map as a .map file
Explort the map as a "map array" (.mar file)
Using CrystalTile2, disassemble the AW4 ROM (View Nitro Filesystem, Split Rom)
Open up Nintenlord's AW Map Inserter
Open up the directory and find the map you want to replace (Filesystem/maps/"something".map)
Specify the Map Array (.mar) and the map you want to replace. Offset should be 0.
Run.
Use crystaltile2 to assemble the new file system with the changed map (View Nitro Filesystem, Build Rom, Save As)
Enjoy!

Some notes:
-You can't use the Cannons and Deathray at the same time.
-Volcanoes only activate on P1's turn and Black Hole Inventions only activate if a black-coloured team is present
-Top line of properties will animate with active smoke, flashing lights etc. Bottom line will not.
And some glorious pictures.

And some glorious DOR pictures.

Tilesets:

Editor:
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Frankdeslimste

Re: Advance Wars 2 Map Inserter/Editor

Post by Frankdeslimste » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:56 am

Neat! Going to try this out soon.
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:22 pm

This is really cool! I'll have to try it out! :)

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:17 pm

I managed to make a map, but how do I replace a certain map?
Do I need to use the nigtmare modules or am I just doing something wrong with the pointers?
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:50 pm

You either need to use the Nightmare module to repoint to where you've placed the map or use the MAR Inserter's 'pointer' function to get it to automatically update the pointer location you specify.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

edward

Post by edward » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:12 am

doesnt work well i tried to create a map on AWSMapEditor: created the .aw2 and the image, and i tried to use map inserter: first the mappy and last one that something failed the MAR array! after i put the mar array i tried to play the game and i couldnt play sorta like freezing with screen white!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 am

It works fine provided you know what you're doing. I've been using it endlessly for War Room Hack.

First and foremost, the MAR Inserter will ONLY work with Map arrays (.mar) exported from Mappy. It'll never support the AWDS/AW2 map editor on here or AWN, nor any other ones. You must use Mappy.

Secondly, it sounds like when you inserted the map you inserted it at the very start of the ROM (Offset 0x0) - when you loaded the map in, you overwrote critical game coding. So you get a white screen.

You need to find some free space in the ROM (look up for a long area of 0xFF FF with a hex editor) and insert it at that location. You'll need to also find a map header and update its map location pointer to actually be able to play the map.

SEguest

Post by SEguest » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:01 am

It don't work

it says:
C:\Users\"myname"\Documents\Downloads\roms\1060-AdvanceWars2-BlackHoleRising.gba could not been written to.
Anyone knows Why?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 am

Is the file set to read only?

se guest

Post by se guest » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:58 pm

No

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Compressed/Archived? Filename too long?

SEguest

Post by SEguest » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:11 am

Xenesis wrote:
> Compressed/Archived?
no
filename is 7 letters long (+.MAR)
folder: AW Map Inserter-mapwin1422-MAPS

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:38 pm

EDIT: actually the rom probably isn't compressed from the information

you might want to upload the map file instead
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Marsigne

Post by Marsigne » Tue May 01, 2012 5:47 am

When I use AWMapInserter to insert the map on the AW2, I do everything fine, When I click Run it says: The size of the map does not match the file. What should I do?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 am

You need to ensure the dimensions in the inserter are set to the same as the map.

Eg, if you have a 25x10 map, you need to set that.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Quick testing shows that this can make AWDS-compatible maps quite easily.

The tileset is mostly the same (you can use the AW2 one with some caveats) but I think I want to update it so there's a AWDS version.

Edit: Also, works for Days of Ruin.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Advance Wars 2/Days of Ruin Map Inserter/Editor

Post by Xenesis » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

I've updated the first post. There's a Days of Ruin tilemap for Mappy now!

:D

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Advance Wars 2/DS/DoR Inserter/Editor

Post by Xenesis » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Updated!

-Made some small fixes to AW2's tileset
-Updated the Mappy Archive to include all three tilesets!
-AWDS Tileset for Mappy is done:

AW1 probably won't happen via this method, the maps seem to use a different compression or something. Need to figure it out later.

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Xenesis wrote:AW1 probably won't happen via this method, the maps seem to use a different compression or something. Need to figure it out later.
I actually did look into the map headers for AW1, but unfortunately lost the notes. I do remember that the map data used the same compression as AW2 (LZ77).

The main problem was the unit data. The Campaign maps basically use a similar unit layout as in AW2. The VS. maps however use a complete different format and require different ones for each CO. The War Room maps would only except the VS. unit layout.

From what I remember, all the unit data lead to was the units X and Y position. I could not figure out how to change the unit type or how to set it up for each CO.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Well, the problem that I encountered was that the decompression AW1 uses (swi 11) will cause a hard crash if fed an AW2-DS map even if they both use the LZ77 compression format. AW2-4 maps are actually compatible with each other despite a couple of (mostly forest and mountain) tiles being removed from AW2 to AW4 progressively.

Clearly something changed between the games that necessitated a format change.

Lambda

Re: Advance Wars 2/DS/DoR Map Inserter/Editor

Post by Lambda » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:31 am

Sorry to necro this, but I faced a little problem.

I just created a new map with Mappy but when I'm trying to import the .bmp file (the .bmp tileset in the map inserter file), I'm getting this error :

Is it possible I don't have the right dll, or is it' a bad .bmp file ?

Thx in advance.

Lexor

Post by Lexor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Sorry to necro but I have a problem. I tried to replace a map on file arm9.bin of AWDS but i failed. The procedure is the same as aw2 or is it different?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 am

No problems with the necro, it's fairly slow around here and it's relevant.

The procedure is essentially the same, you can even transplant maps you've made from one game into another in most cases.

The difficulty comes from the fact that the NDS setup is different to the GBA setup - you can't use the pointer update option, you'll have to manually update it itself, as the maps are loaded into a file that's loaded into RAM. I also don't appear to have the location of them in my notes....

Flood

Post by Flood » Sun May 24, 2015 2:04 am

Hi, sorry to necro. How can I get to place Black Hole buildings in the editor? I would like to edit AW2 campaign maps. I've managed to replace a predeployed map with some other custom made by me.

Thanks in advance,

Flood.

EDIT: Ok, I think I've found it. BH it's just any other nation but you set it to be controlled by the AI and it becomes Black Hole in the campaign (I think). I'll try something.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 24, 2015 11:30 am

Yep. Whether an army is Black Hole is controlled by the map header, not the map itself. All maps use the OS/BM/GE/YC as P1/P2/P3/P4 internally.

You'll need to set it to something like P1: OS, P2: BM, P3: GE, P4:BH

Koopanique

Post by Koopanique » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Hello,
I've made a AW2 map in Mappy, saved it as a .map and exported it as a .mar... then I wish to import it into the AW2 rom using AWMapInserter 2, and it seems to actually write something into the rom at the position I give (somewhere with only FF FF FF, etc).
But I don't know how to actually select the map once I'm in the game?
I suppose I should replace a War Room map using the pointer thingy, but I don't know the map pointers are.
I guess if I knew, say, the pointer of Moji Island, I could replace this map by telling AWMapInserter to write the pointer to there, but I'm not sure.

So my question is basically how to select an imported map once in the game, and what's the difference between header/pointer?
Thanks in advance
PS: Don't know if that's important but I use a Mode7 rom with the intro still present

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Koopanique wrote:Hello,
I've made a AW2 map in Mappy, saved it as a .map and exported it as a .mar... then I wish to import it into the AW2 rom using AWMapInserter 2, and it seems to actually write something into the rom at the position I give (somewhere with only FF FF FF, etc).
But I don't know how to actually select the map once I'm in the game?
You'll need to update a map header to point to the new map file you've imported.
I suppose I should replace a War Room map using the pointer thingy, but I don't know the map pointers are.
I guess if I knew, say, the pointer of Moji Island, I could replace this map by telling AWMapInserter to write the pointer to there, but I'm not sure.
IIRC, the Nightmare2 module pack has a map header module. You can mouse-over the description for 'Map Pointer' and it'll give you the ROM address to include in the MAR inserter (minus the 0x08 at the front).
So my question is basically how to select an imported map once in the game, and what's the difference between header/pointer?
Thanks in advance
Basically, update a map header to point to your new map file, then load that entry in game. So if you replace say, Spann Island with Spiffymap43, Edit Spann Island's pointer and load Spann Island in-game to play it. I posted here a visual tutorial using a slightly different method that may help!.

Koopanique

Post by Koopanique » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:19 am

Wow thanks, with your visual tutorial now I understand the whole header thing. Basically I have to change the header of Spann Island or any other map, to the header of the map I just inserted in the rom, which should be the offset where the new map begins.

Definitely I made some progress, but when I go ingame to select the map, it doesn't appear and instead I have these weird glitches in the menu and in the map itself :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... litch2.jpg
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... glitch.jpg

The Md tank appears like that, as if it was 'loaded', and it disappear as soon as I try to select it.
Any idea what may be cause of this?

Either way, thanks for your explanations. I guess I'm on the right track

Koopanique

Post by Koopanique » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:24 am

Sorry for double posting...

After much testing I've finally managed to make my custom test .mar map playable in AW2 (replaced bean island -- I was telling AWinserter to update the map header as it's seen in this topic: http://forums.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=3159 , but apparently the headers listed there are not pointers... much to learn yet :p
Anyway!
I've tried with a 20x20 map and it worked without problem
50x50, the menu was glitchy and the game bugs out while ingame
100x100: the menu doesn't even appear (freezed black screen with bugged out sound)

So, I guess there's a limit to the mapsize, beyond which the game crashes. If there's a clear known limit though, if anyone knows it, please tell me! Anyway, that's pretty cool

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:07 am

Koopanique wrote:http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... litch2.jpg

The Md tank appears like that, as if it was 'loaded', and it disappear as soon as I try to select it.
Any idea what may be cause of this?
Is it actually an Md Tank (i.e. press R on it to see - either the game will freeze or you'll get the standard info for a Md Tank)?
This one is you've accidentally cleared the text ID for the map's name from its header. The Prologue intro text (ID: 0000) is the very first string in the game, so you'll show it if the text ID is 0000. Compare with an unmodified rom, the text IDs for map names start at 0xA34/2612, so check that a value of that is still there.
Koopanique wrote:I've tried with a 20x20 map and it worked without problem
50x50, the menu was glitchy and the game bugs out while ingame
100x100: the menu doesn't even appear (freezed black screen with bugged out sound)

So, I guess there's a limit to the mapsize, beyond which the game crashes. If there's a clear known limit though, if anyone knows it, please tell me! Anyway, that's pretty cool
Yeah, there's only so much RAM allocated for the map. I worked it out to be approximately 1200 tiles for AW2, which is the area of a 40x30 map or equivalent.

Koopanique

Post by Koopanique » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:27 pm

Thank you so much for your help and tips! I'm getting the hang of it now, I've no problem any more to import a map
Is it actually an Md Tank (i.e. press R on it to see - either the game will freeze or you'll get the standard info for a Md Tank)?
Actually I can't remember exactly how to reproduce the bug and I deleted the non-working roms while making tests, so I can't really tell

Now the next steps for me is 1) to modify graphics and 2) to mod CO

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:02 am

Using map inserter you can also create Black Hole units??, i cant find those in tileset images..

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:46 pm

salvadorc17 wrote:Using map inserter you can also create Black Hole units??, i cant find those in tileset images..
If you mean setting a player as a Black Hole Army, you'll need to edit the map header, not the map itself. Players 1-4 are always Orange Star, Blue Moon, Green Earth, Yellow Comet internally in the map files.

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Xenesis wrote:
If you mean setting a player as a Black Hole Army, you'll need to edit the map header, not the map itself. Players 1-4 are always Orange Star, Blue Moon, Green Earth, Yellow Comet internally in the map files.
Can you tell me how to achieve this by some example, like change player 1 in some map to be the Black Hole..

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:35 am

salvadorc17 wrote:
Xenesis wrote:
Can you tell me how to achieve this by some example, like change player 1 in some map to be the Black Hole..
See this topic.

Koopanique

Post by Koopanique » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:42 am

Hello,
Anyone knows the offset of the compressed graphics the game uses when a unit is selected on the map in AW2? Also is the offset of the graphics used in battle animations known?
Thanks!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:01 pm

Koopanique wrote:Hello,
Anyone knows the offset of the compressed graphics the game uses when a unit is selected on the map in AW2? Also is the offset of the graphics used in battle animations known?
Thanks!
They're all over the place, but you can find them. I don't have a full list for you at the moment but from my notes:
926D4 - Recon Sprite OS
92AC0 - Recon Sprite BM
92EE4 - Recon Sprite GE
93240 - Tank Sprite
935C4 - Tank Sprite
938F4 - Tank Sprite
3bf0 - Mdtank Sprite
93F44 - MDtank sprite
9424C - MDtank sprite
9462C - Mdtank Sprite
949F8 -MDtank sprite
94DE4 - MDtank sprite
951F8 - Art
95588 - Art
958F4 - Art
95C7C - Art
95F58 - Rocket
962E0 - Rocket
96660 - Rocket
969E4 - Rocket
Unit Sprites end at A534C

Unit move sprites start
B7C60
End
BD1EC

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:41 am

How should i change campaign map pointer for example Cleanup, for my new inserted new map..

Koopanique

Post by Koopanique » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 am

Nice, thanks for these offsets!!