AWDS Nightmare 2 Modules

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

AWDS Nightmare 2 Modules

Post by Xenesis » Sat May 21, 2011 12:32 pm

So I put some together. Download Link

Have fun guys! It'll edit the COs. :D

Readme:
This is my collection of Nightmare2 Modules for editing Advance Wars Dual Strike (U).

What is Nightmare2?
It's an application designed to allow for making easy data editors and the like. You can find the official download where it's always updated at http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/336940/Nightmare%202.7z (this no longer works) Unofficial Link

You need the Java Runtime environment (http://www.java.com) to run the Nightmare2.jar file, but it should run on any platform that supports Java such as Windows or Mac OS

What do Each of the Modules Do?
awdsco - Edits basic CO Information and abilities
awdscostat - Edits the unit stat pointers for Unit stats. Pointer 6 and 10 are still unknown
awdscotag - Edits the CO's Tag information

Update Log:
21/5/11
Initial Release
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Mark999

Re: AWDS Nightmare 2 Modules

Post by Mark999 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Awesome. I'll use this to edit the power meters.

Also, I just remembered that I had made a Map Header module a while back; it's still here if anyone wants it.

So, I tried the CO Stats (Units) editor and...uh...I see that every CO gets a bonus on plains except Koal, that's not true is it?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat May 21, 2011 10:52 pm

No, most definitely not.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun May 22, 2011 5:48 am

So do you just open the AWDS US rom or does it have to be unpacked?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 22, 2011 8:29 am

Just the ROM itself.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 am

No, you don't have to unpack the ROM to use these.

By the way, I figured out what was wrong:

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 22, 2011 8:36 am

They're not the same value - they're different pointers...although the end result is the same. (There's a LOT of redundancy by default)

eliascpsells

Post by eliascpsells » Mon May 23, 2011 3:08 am

im getting the same problem as i did with the aw2 nightmare mods. i try to open it, it opens with adobe reader, adobe reader says: "adobe reader cannot read the file..." something about not being properly decoded, sent by email or something.

i know its not supposed to run with adobe reader, but how do i change that?

also, i checked java.com and same results as last time. it says: "something is wrong. java isnt working."

i just wanna balance cos and wat not with this stuff. maybe my comp aint working right or sumthin
Professor Frink: "Pi is exactly 3!!!!"

Audience: "*Gasp!!*"
Frink: "I'm sorry it had to come to that."

Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEIwzueG5UI for the funniest Advance Wars parody.

"Have you ever watched yourself die? It is FASCINATING!"

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon May 23, 2011 5:37 am

If you can't use Nightmare 2, use a hex editor. It's a bit more complicated, but far from impossible.

BTW, I wonder if it would be possible to learn how to make the modules. There's some stuff I wanna do which would be way easier with that kind of stuff to help me.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon May 23, 2011 8:25 am

eliascpsells wrote:im getting the same problem as i did with the aw2 nightmare mods. i try to open it, it opens with adobe reader, adobe reader says: "adobe reader cannot read the file..." something about not being properly decoded, sent by email or something.

i know its not supposed to run with adobe reader, but how do i change that?
The modules will never run by double clicking them. You need to:
1) Open Nightmare2.jar
2) Select "Open File" and find the ROM you want to edit
3) Select "Choose Module" and find the module files you want to use.
also, i checked java.com and same results as last time. it says: "something is wrong. java isnt working."

i just wanna balance cos and wat not with this stuff. maybe my comp aint working right or sumthin
I have no idea about that, sorry.
St3rn wrote:BTW, I wonder if it would be possible to learn how to make the modules. There's some stuff I wanna do which would be way easier with that kind of stuff to help me.
It's pretty easy - they're all plain text files. You can open any of the module files in Wordpad and have a look. Additionally NM2 has some examples and documentation too.

Satel

Post by Satel » Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 am

I see... that's not that difficult actually.
but there's something I don't understand with the numbers...
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Well I tried to make a module to change AWDS Units basing on AW2's one, but it all failed... :(

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Well, you need to know the data rather precisely - the length of each unit's data would differ between AW2 and AWDS.

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:11 am

length of data? total is 6C for each unit in DualStrike.
But, I don't understand exactly how the numbers work, for example, there is:
"1HP Price
NEDS
NULL

I know I have not to mess with NEDS and NULL, but what does that 62 mean?

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:11 pm

62 means that the 1HP price is located in the 62nd byte. (6C being 108 bytes) in your example. You're also missing one thing in that example which specifies how long the data is (eg, 1 byte, 2 bytes, 1 bit)

NEDS means that the item is a decimal value, signed. Other useful ones are NEDU (Dec Unsigned) and HEXA (Hexidecimal)
NULL means you're not using a value list (Check out some of my AW2 modules that edit COs.)

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:02 pm

I got the thing with NEDS on a readme and I start to understand.
I'll maybe be able to make the DS Unit module, and I started with your AW2 one, so I just don't mess with NEDS and stuff.
Will probably need some help on how to make it available for you when I'll have finished it.
By the way, I can run the modified module but there's nothing I can see... do you know some reason that can lead to this problem?

EDIT: Problem solved.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:43 am

Here's a link for both modules I made, along with Xen's ones.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4ET966X0

st3rn fudge st3rn

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks for the modules that edit unit damage, i can edit damage cruiser vs plane now. I hope there are new modules coming for awds nm2 modules like aw2 nm2 modules for example awdscostatcustom and awdsmap.

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 am

Actually modules are not that difficult to make.
Except that for the one you (and I) would like to see, which needs to revamp the pointers, which are different in DS.
So don't expect me to make that one, because I sadly can't. I hope Xen gets to make it one day tho.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:40 pm

I've been fairly busy playing with AWDS recently, so I should be able to give this nightmare module pack an overhaul.

I'm thinking of actually converting them to only work on the extracted files of the filesystem however - hacking graphics means that a rebuild of the filesystem moves everything, making the modules not work anymore (they rely on everything being in the same place in a complete rom, which doesn't happen).

Guestman

Post by Guestman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:51 pm

Is there some other way to get nightmare 2 ? Because the link is broken

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:02 am

Here is my module pack for both Dual Strike (U&E) and Dark Conflict (E).

List of modules:
AWDS:
- CO Editor
- CO Stats Editor
- CO Tag Editor
- Unit Stats Editor
- Unit Damage Editor

AWDC:
- CO Editor
- Unit Stats Editor
- Unit Damage Editor
- Unit Loading Editor

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:41 am

Got told that the 'official link' doesn't work anymore, so I updated it with the RHDN one.