AW Map Editor Hacker Edition (now with file loading!?)

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
x0_000

AW Map Editor Hacker Edition (now with file loading!?)

Post by x0_000 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 pm

DOWNLOAD HERE!!!

Finally got around to working on this! It's still in alpha build but it is usable. It's a map editor designed for hacking :o

Features:
  • Automatically tiles just like Design Maps in game! (Interaction isn't perfectly replicated.)
  • Don't want to autotile? That's fine! When you pick a tile type, you can also pick a specific tile to use; tiles added this way are tinted red in the map to remind you that they're manually placed.
  • Spam Black Hole inventions to your heart's content! Note that there may be graphical glitches in AW2 if you put too many inventions. I cannot fix this.
  • Press the little arrows to expand/shrink the light area. The light area determines what gets saved to the lz77 file.
  • Now you can add units! Flexible options allow you to specify the exact HP, Fuel and Ammo of a unit. You don't have to worry about giving a unit more fuel/ammo than necessary since the game caps them on load.
  • Hovering over a placed unit displays the stats you gave them.
  • Some units are replaced with a circle. Those are the units that are dummied out in the original ROM. If your hack uses those slots for your own units, you can edit the unit spritesheet in "tilesets" with the image in the appropriate place (they are ordered by internal ID.) The editor will use those updated graphics on the next load.
  • Drag a LZ77 compressed map file over the editor to load a map! Unit loading not supported yet. Loading a map sets all non-property/invention tiles to manual, so you'll have to re-autotile and magnetize cities properly.
  • Press the disk icon to dump the map as a MAR array, ready to be inserted in the ROM! It saves a MAR array (map.bin), an image, and a lz77 compressed file that can be directly inserted into an AW2 ROM. If the map contains units, those units are also saved to a binary file in the proper format.
  • Press the [?] to randomize the map?!
  • Press the lightbulb to turn on/off active regions. When active regions are turned off, only the light region gets saved as an image. The randomization also only randomizes in the light region if the active region is turned off.
  • Press the magnet to turn city magnet on/off. Cities placed while the magnet is on (red, default) will have roads lead into them. The map shows which cities are magnetic with a tiny red magnet in the upper left.
Bugs:
  • Autotiling is buggy with some interactions. (e.g. river next to sea.)
  • Randomizer can get caught in infinite loops. (Should happen very rarely in this build.)
  • The editor places a plains instead of a pipe for the Death Ray. This will be fixed when I add pipe functionality.
Last edited by x0_000 on Thu May 28, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: AW Map Editor Hacker Edition (alpha v)

Post by Xenesis » Thu May 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 3.06.03 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 3.06.03 pm.png (92.05 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
HECK YEAH.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:21 am

Working on adding size adjustments. The way this will work is that the light area is the only area dumped to the MAR array, but you can still edit the dark area if you want to! :o Of course, you'll be able to adjust the size of the light area.

EDIT: Also added image saving!!

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:01 am

Not to knock this app or anything, but I typically just use the in-game map editor with a code to change map size, grab the data out of the save file, and then use a compressor on it ^^; But this is looking pretty okay so far. I wouldn't have to hex edit for BH stuff, at least.

JSRulz

Post by JSRulz » Fri May 02, 2014 5:36 am

Is there plans to output to more types of formats, or is it strictly for the AW2 ROMS?

x0triple0

Post by x0triple0 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:00 am

There will be Tiled editor files as well so that users can do non-automated tiling if necessary. If you have other suggestions let me know!

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Some sample maps made with the latest edition (not up yet), note that I did some touching up after the initial generation.

EDIT: I have now added LZ77 compressed output so you can directly insert the data as a binary file!!!

x0_000

Re: AW Map Editor Hacker Edition (alpha v updated!!)

Post by x0_000 » Sat May 03, 2014 1:43 pm

New build out with lz77 dumping capabilities heck yeah

The randomization algorithm is also improved (relatively speaking.)

x0_000

Re: AW Map Editor Hacker Edition (alpha v updated!!)

Post by x0_000 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:50 pm

A preview of the next feature to appear:

x0_000

Re: AW Map Editor Hacker Edition (now with units...?!)

Post by x0_000 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Units have been added!!! Now you can place units, with variable HP/Fuel/Ammo, and the editor will output a binary file formatted for insertion with the unit data. All units are by default set to AI 0x4 (the "normal" AI.) Once more research is done on unit AI customization for it will be available as well. The editor also outputs a second image with the units placed on it.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:55 pm

YESSSS.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:07 pm

That's sexy, great work x0. When do you plan adding canons and other BH inventions ?
Once more research is done on unit AI customization for it will be available as well.
Depends on what you call "Unit AI customization , but I've already done some research in my own and I can say have a modest control over AI, but it implies redoing most of the algorithm in ASM.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:41 pm

Lambda wrote:Depends on what you call "Unit AI customization , but I've already done some research in my own and I can say have a modest control over AI, but it implies redoing most of the algorithm in ASM.
He's referring to the preset AI states that units are built with or set on predeployed. Ones that range broadly from 'stay here and do nothing' to 'ZERG RUSH'.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Ah yeah, most of these are obscures, and it seems there is other AI bitflags in unit array but I haven't really tried to understand what purpose they serves.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Lambda wrote:That's sexy, great work x0. When do you plan adding canons and other BH inventions ?
I guess I can make that the next step :o

x0_000

Re: AW Map Editor Hacker Edition (now with file loading!?)

Post by x0_000 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Did a small update! Now you can choose whether a property is a "road magnet" with a switch, and you can drag an lz77 compressed map file over the executable to load it. :O!!! unit load not supported yet, sadly. Here's an example of city magnetism in action:

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:46 am

Good news!
I haven't pushed a build with these completely fixed, but it's just a matter of time. Preventing inventions from colliding is annoying.

Edit: It's done!!!
The build has been updated... with INVENTIONS.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu May 28, 2015 6:37 pm

So cool!

(Although some of the large type inventions will clash with each other in-game because they use the same spots in RAM for the graphics)

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sat May 30, 2015 2:54 am

How exactly do i insert these maps (and unit deployment) into the Game?
i haven't been able to find the information on the forum.
(the MAR Inserter doesn't seam to work, unless i'm doing it wrong?)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat May 30, 2015 2:17 pm

x0_000's editor produces compressed maps as the same format used internally by the game in AW2/AW3/AW4 (and AW1 with some minor tweaking).

They're basically able to be copied and pasted in (and pointed to by editing the map headers) or by using an .import command in ARMIPS to insert it. They won't work with MAR Inserter because they're in the format MAR inserter produces, not what it takes as input.

Unit deployments are probably currently most easily handled by ARMIPS, because they're essentially types of scripts. Or you can copy and paste lists of hex into empty space and repoint manually.

Basically what needs to happen is that the "Map Data" and "Unit List" entries of a map's header need to be updated to point to the new data. Similar to working with new compressed graphics that are too large to fit in the original space.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sun May 31, 2015 3:28 am

Xenesis wrote:Or you can copy and paste lists of hex into empty space and repoint manually.
that did it, Thanks dude.
for some reason i find it easier to deal with HEX.

Also, amazing editor, now i can finally make predeployed maps easier.

Edit: not sure if you fixed it.
but the Left and right facing Minicannons are reversed, and the fortress spawns One tile Above where you putt it in the editor.