Finally got around to working on this! It's still in alpha build but it is usable. It's a map editor designed for hacking
- Automatically tiles just like Design Maps in game! (Interaction isn't perfectly replicated.)
- Don't want to autotile? That's fine! When you pick a tile type, you can also pick a specific tile to use; tiles added this way are tinted red in the map to remind you that they're manually placed.
- Spam Black Hole inventions to your heart's content! Note that there may be graphical glitches in AW2 if you put too many inventions. I cannot fix this.
- Press the little arrows to expand/shrink the light area. The light area determines what gets saved to the lz77 file.
- Now you can add units! Flexible options allow you to specify the exact HP, Fuel and Ammo of a unit. You don't have to worry about giving a unit more fuel/ammo than necessary since the game caps them on load.
- Hovering over a placed unit displays the stats you gave them.
- Some units are replaced with a circle. Those are the units that are dummied out in the original ROM. If your hack uses those slots for your own units, you can edit the unit spritesheet in "tilesets" with the image in the appropriate place (they are ordered by internal ID.) The editor will use those updated graphics on the next load.
- Drag a LZ77 compressed map file over the editor to load a map! Unit loading not supported yet. Loading a map sets all non-property/invention tiles to manual, so you'll have to re-autotile and magnetize cities properly.
- Press the disk icon to dump the map as a MAR array, ready to be inserted in the ROM! It saves a MAR array (map.bin), an image, and a lz77 compressed file that can be directly inserted into an AW2 ROM. If the map contains units, those units are also saved to a binary file in the proper format.
- Press the [?] to randomize the map?!
- Press the lightbulb to turn on/off active regions. When active regions are turned off, only the light region gets saved as an image. The randomization also only randomizes in the light region if the active region is turned off.
- Press the magnet to turn city magnet on/off. Cities placed while the magnet is on (red, default) will have roads lead into them. The map shows which cities are magnetic with a tiny red magnet in the upper left.
- Autotiling is buggy with some interactions. (e.g. river next to sea.)
- Randomizer can get caught in infinite loops. (Should happen very rarely in this build.)
- The editor places a plains instead of a pipe for the Death Ray. This will be fixed when I add pipe functionality.