How DO i Graphics??

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
NINGUEM

How DO i Graphics??

Post by NINGUEM » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:21 pm

excuse the crud title.
so anyway, i'm having an issue with changing Graphics in Advance Wars 2.

i Know how to Insert Sprites and Extract them, and i can puzzle them together, so that isn't the issue.
the issue i have is the "Size limit", or the "new data is Bigger then Old" issue
(i use "GBA Graphics Editor" and "NLZ-GBA Advance" mostly the first.)

now you might think im using way to advanced and complicated sprites, but No, i am very well aware of the size limit, and most sprites i try to insert use Less colors then the original, and usually i try to have the sprite be smaller then the original.

today i was editing the BH Lander, and i managed to input new graphics, but there was a tiny error, so i made like a two or five pixels change and its suddenly TO BIG??

at that point i just gave up, when its THAT sensitive there's no way to make sprites look decent And Fit at the same time.
i mostly edit SNES an NES Games, but GBA is the first time a size limit like this has been an issue.

now i come here and look at all the awesome hacks done, and i wonder, how? how can you import super advance sprites such as Caulder?
is there some "Expand Rom" thing i've missed? cause i haven't found one, and i looked everywhere.

also for anyone who asks, "why don't you just uncheck, abort if new graphics are bigger then old?"
well doing that basically Destroys the Next Graphic in the list.
if i Did that on Sturm's CO sprite for example, it Destroys Flak's CO sprites and thus crashes the game.
(i guess that's fine if you are not going to use that CO in the hack, but with army Graphics ALL units are important.)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: How DO i Graphics??

Post by Xenesis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:47 pm

It's mainly because of the compression. Three things: 95% of the Graphics you'll deal with are compressed and recompressing graphics can result in wildly variable filesizes. Finally, the size comparison check compares the size of your new image against the image that is currently there if you insert something smaller than the original graphic and then something slightly larger, but still smaller than the first graphic it'll complain that it's too large. A huge chunk of NES and SNES graphics are completely uncompressed, so they'll always consume the same amount of space regardless of the graphic.

The good news is however, the size of the thing is actually a complete non-restriction. Both of the two editors you've mentioned support repointing. Basically, find some free space in the ROM and if your image is too large when you re-insert it, you can instead designate a new place for it in the ROM. The editor should then update the pointer to the graphic to your new location. Any space after about 0x(08)620000 is fair game and is just padding.

And, unlike the SNES/NES you don't actually need to 'expand' the ROM - a GBA cartridge can be up to 32 Mb natively and the only thing you need to do is keep adding things to the file.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:43 am

thanks that's helpful =3
i knew i wasn't doing it right.
(yeah i do know about compressed Graphics, had to deal with them in Snes hacking too.)

just making sure i get it right.
check "Repoint Graphics Pointers"
and Putt in the 620000 Into the "Graphics Offset"?
thats what i did, and it seams to have worked.

But Do i putt it higher then 620000 for the Next Sprite? if so, how much higher should i go per sprite to be safe?.
Big sprites tend to be a few apart, like the Lander Top is on offset 575A74 and the bottom is 575EF0.

also, how do i make the game use the new graphics now? with the HEX editor?
seams to work now....strange, didn't change Graphics in game at first, but now its changed, very odd.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:57 am

NINGUEM wrote:just making sure i get it right.
check "Repoint Graphics Pointers"
and Putt in the 620000 Into the "Graphics Offset"?
thats what i did, and it seams to have worked.
Yeah. 0x620000 can be any address, I just gave you that because that's in free space in the ROM.
But Do i putt it higher then 620000 for the Next Sprite? if so, how much higher should i go per sprite to be safe?.
Big sprites tend to be a few apart, like the Lander Top is on offset 575A74 and the bottom is 575EF0.
Yeah, you need to keep advancing it. Easiest way to check is in a hex editor - find the end of your newly inserted graphic, add some free space buffer and add an extra 0x100 for luck or something.
also, how do i make the game use the new graphics now? with the HEX editor?
seams to work now....strange, didn't change Graphics in game at first, but now its changed, very odd.
If it's updated the pointers properly you should be able to see them right away. If it hasn't, you can update them manually by a search and replace - for the Lander Top, in the original example where it's 0x08575A74, search for 74 5A 57 08 and replace that with where your new location is.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:53 am

thank you this has been very helpful.
since i last was here i have learned a lot by reading these Forums.

i would like to ask about the Unit battle animations though.
i use the nightmare modules since its quick and easy to replace & re point Sprites, but it doesn't have to have one for the Battle animations. (not that i can see anyway.)
only for the Map & Shop/R-button Graphics.

so where would i go about doing that?
for example, i want to make each Neo Tank use different graphics per army.
also change the Mech units to not Share graphics with the Infantry (Mech Machine gun sprites to a Mech Only specific Graphic.)
and then there's those Dummy Units i might try my hand at.

i wouldn't know where to Begin in an hex editor unless i got some Help showing me where.
i looked in "Units Datasheet" here on the forum, but i didn't see a graphics pointer.

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:24 am

iirc it's not simple hex editing

i may be wrong though
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:23 pm

for example, i want to make each Neo Tank use different graphics per army.
You can't do it through hex editing, you will need a fair amount of coding in order to change that.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:27 pm

well if i can't do that its not the biggest loss.
i still need to know how to point the battle animations for the dummy units though.

one more question about dummy units though i haven't seen.
i know the AI wont Buy them, but will they use them if they are placed in a Map?

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:30 pm

Yep, they will.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:23 am

urgh, I've been looking all over in the Rom but i cannot find the OS/BM/GE/YC air Unit battle animations. (the Fighter, helicopter, T-copter, Bomber)

the black Hole ones are listed Neatly with the other units, and before those are most of the other army Units,...EXCEPT the air units?
i looked back and forth in the Rom, i even checked if they were uncompressed, but i have find nothing, all i found is the Shop/R-button ones. but it can't be those, the T-copters & bomber is to Small.

ether i have totally missed them, or GBA graphics editor skips over them or something.

starting from 4F3208 the list of Units goes
OS/BM/GE/YC:
Tanks
A-air
Artillery
infantry
Mech
Recon
MD Tank
Subs
Boats/Boat Parts
APC's
Rockets
Missiles

Then Black Hole Units start:
Infantry
Mech
Recon
APC
Tank
MD Tank
NeoTank
A-air
Artillery
Rocket
Missiles
Bomber (ONLY Black Holes)
Fighter (ONLY Black Holes)
B-Copter (ONLY Black Holes)
T-Copter (ONLY Black Holes)
BH Boats.
BH Sub

and that's the End of it.
like WTF.

EDIT:
ok so i managed to work around the issue of Not being able to Edit the air Units.
its Impossible to edit the actual OS/BM/GE/YC Air Unit Sprites themselves, so what you need to Do is to Re point ALL their air units to the Black Hole Ones. (then to Custom New ones)

the Black Hole T-Copter Graphic is at "08570250" so you search for "50 02 57 08" in the HEX editor.
See Pic 1, now the Other army's version of that units graphics should be Above it, they seam to repeat the code 6 times each.

What you Can do is make them ALL into the Black Hole Copter, so replace the 4 units above it with the code for BH Copter, see Pic 2.
(or if you already have graphics Done & waiting, just input that address directly to the unit, but i find it easier to Clone of the BH ones in GBA graphics editor.)

then you simply Edit the Black Hole T-copter to what ever you want, and Copy it like 4 times so you get one per army.
you need to go back and manually change the address in hex though for each New one, so keep the Hex Location in mind.

Pic 3 shows How i changed Blue Moons T-copter to a Hot air Balloon for Saustralia, the Pig Army.

Pics:
http://i57.tinypic.com/34837gy.png

I assume the Hex address change is Also how you re point Battle animations for Units.

Second edit:
You can't do it through hex editing, you will need a fair amount of coding in order to change that.
Actually you can, i just Replaced The Orange Star Neo Tank with a Custom, with OUT changing the Black Hole one.
Yes those are Both Neo Tanks.
(my Custom one is a bit squashed due to size limit)

I used the Same method as with the T-copter, the Neo Tanks are neatly listed In Order in the Hex Editor.
(Not sure if the Mechs Point Graphics Separate from the Infantry yet, But if they Do, it should be Easy Peasy to change it.)

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:26 am

Sorry for the Bump.
i have some updates and another issue i ran into. (issue is at the bottom)

so Far i have edited All the battle animations, Replacing the Army's Entirely.
i have managed to give each army a unique NeoTank each, i also managed to putt Soldiers ON the NeoTanks as well as the Black Hole units.

to putt soldiers On the Neo and BH units, you just need to add the soldier graphics to the Sprite Sheet, the same Place where the Soldiers are in OS/BM/GE/YC Sheets of the same Unit. technically the BH soldiers Were there all along, just invisible.
(for the Shop/button, you need to change Type somethings in Nightmare modules for it to show up.)

some other things i learned,
boats tend to use the Same Bottom sprites, while it is possible to give each boat their own Bottom half, its based on the Army Color not the army itself.
(Aka play as Blue color, your boats gets the bluemoon bottom sprites, regardless of what army it is otherwise)
This is noticeable in the original game if you look closely on the Blackhole Boats when they use the Black color, and then look at the same unit in another color, the bottoms are different.
something the developers over looked?

(speaking of developers overlooking things, there is a Ton of Graphical glitches in the game.
for example, use the Bomber on a Lander, (i think it was the lander) the explosions turns into red Numbers.
this isn't a Rom or hack error, i got the original game and the glitches are there too.)

so aside from boats, its possible to change all unit battle graphics.
No idea about the Dummy units though, they don't have any graphics in the Hex Editor that i can see. Dummy 4 uses the B-copter, but Same Sprite address as the other helicopters.
best bet would probably be finding where the Unit Points to Those graphics, and changing what they point to.
but i wouldn't know where to start looking for that.

as for my issue, does anyone else get Transport Unloading glitches after editing Map sprites?
like, just when the unit Unloads the graphic glitches up, but then goes back to normal.
its nothing game braking, mostly a minor annoyance.
but if there is a way to avoid it, i would be grateful to know how.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:31 am

Fudge, i Didn't know you could Post as a guest, i though i was logged in.

soo uhm yeah, that was Me ^
very sorry about that ^^;

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Okay, I've fixed that and reassigned the post to you.

I'll, uh, have a read and respond later though.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:05 pm

So, is there NO way to change the Standstill Map Sprites?
change to NEW units, Not units with in that Set List (AKA, Change Blue Moons Copter to a Plane, while keeping it a copter for everyone else)

i have been looking for a way to do it ALL day, i've had some ideas but most have lead to Dead ends.
One idea would be using only One frame of the animation per army for a set Unit, but i don't know where to start with that. (animation APC frame 1 OS, APC frame 2 BM Ect)
another idea was trying to find where the game points to the Graphics and change it to allow more, but no luck so far.

The only Solution that works is a Rather Messy One.
apparently if you go beyond the graphics List (last being 001A BH mech) you will eventually come upon the Menu Icons. (save button, option button ect)
i was able to Replace Those graphics and with some tweaking and got a New Map unit Graphic to Work, (works 80%, glitched in Some areas but nothing Bad)

this however Butchers the Menu Buttons x.x
it doesn't ruin the Menu function, since its only the buttons that gets messy. so if there was a way to NOT use the button graphic for the menu then this would be the best way i can think of.

also there wont be any animation for the unit doing it this way.

(The graphics available for the Units to choose from seams to be in the...how to i explain it,... the 06x000000 part of Tile viewer in the Emulator, but graphics tend to change a lot, only the buttons seams to not change, so hence why i used the buttons)

Edit:

Pic:
you can't see it here, but the new "neo" has NO animation.

also the glitchy thing in the window is pretty much the only mess up i've seen so far.
(its also invisible in the CO screen, but in gameplay it seams to work fine)

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:28 am

Each map's unit sprite have to be loaded in RAM in order to allow all of them to be in the same map at the same time. This includes every unit sprite and their army variants in the case of inftry and mechs. You couldn't add army variant for each unit of the game for the simple fact that there isn't enough place in RAM for that. You could still do it for a few units, but it would be quite hacky and would require a lot of programming.

/e sorry for my poor english here, for some reasons I have a hard time to find the right word this evening.
Last edited by Lambda on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:43 am

thats ok, i got terrible English most of the time x3

anyway i have made due with the Replacing Button method for now, and it seams to work nicely.
the moving units are very easy to change since you can just re point the graphics.

luckily im not planning to Replace ALL units, mostly just a Few oddballs, like changing BM's B-Copter to a Plane.

here's is a better screen shot:

is there a way to change what graphics the Option Buttons Uses though?
changing them would make the menu look less ugly.
i could change them all to a single button.
:power: CO
:power: Intel
:power: Options
:power: Save
:power: End

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:00 am

the moving units are very easy to change since you can just re point the graphics.
This doesn't solve the different army sprite issue, since you'll replace the sprite for all army, unless there is already 5 different moving sprites per units.
Never had interest in unit modification so I don't really know how the things are arranged here.
/e double checked and it seems the sheets allow 5 different army sprites so forgot what I said earlier, it's quite easy to change indeed.

As for menu icons, I believe you can do it quite easily. Look in 0x00604d54, you'll see the text menu commands. It is structured like that

09 8A 55 6E 69 74 00

09 : this instructions tells the game to use an icon
8A : Icon ID, it's that thing you'll want to change in order to have different icon. The power Icon ID is 8F.
55 6E 69 74 : Name of the command, here it is "Unit" in ascii
00 : End of the string

So if you want to have the power Icon, just change the 8A with 8F.
The other commands are just following this one. (with some 0x00 for padding issues)

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:22 am

(sorry for late reply, i got lots to deal with)

Thanks, that works nicely, i think you can even remove Icons altogether.
and i think there is Enough Icons to Replace ONE army, this Method might be useful for any custom Units.

another question though, How much is possible to do with weather?
i know you can make CO's movement different depending on weather, is that it?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 am

NINGUEM wrote:another question though, How much is possible to do with weather?
i know you can make CO's movement different depending on weather, is that it?
Depends entirely what you want to do with it.

Stat changes are fairly easy, but you'd need to code it in assembly (you can't just repoint anything).

By default AW2 only has support for changing the movement penalty list, changing the maximum vision range (Rain in FoW) and changing the chance that the weather will occur in the first place.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:20 am

im planing on making different Biomes, like not in the same game.
Each ROM would have a different Biome and Tile set, and it would be neat to have some matching weather for it.

changing games might sound annoying, but its for a world Conquest kind of Idea that uses Advance wars.
(Think of it like the Boardgame Risk, but each battle is done In Advance Wars.)
and i figured since its gonna be more maps then one game can hold anyway, why not make em different Biomes.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 am

If you mean multiples tilesets like in AWDS, it has been done here

There is a lot of things to change / add for this patch, but I could also add the possibility to change the tilesets however you want.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:25 am

that is amazing, i had no idea it could be done in AW-2.

not exactly what i meant, but i would Love to have that in the hack.

some questions though, whats the limits?
how many tilesets could be added?
is it possible to keep the Snow tileset change effect? if so, is it possible to do it only for say normal grass tiles (i quite like the snow tile change)

whats the current issue with battle backgrounds? is it Code wise, or graphic wise?
sorry for the question spam X3

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:49 am

For now it is harcoded to have the normal tileset + the four tilesets I added. Theoretically I could add however tileset I want, and that's what I am planning to do in the future, but I'll need first to recode the whole thing in order to add more flexibility.
If by snow change effect you mean the tileset changing when the weather is set to snow or rain, no, it has been removed exactly like in AWDS.

Battle background haven't been done yet, that's a lot of work and I haven't found time and motivation to work on this. So all battle are set on the normal backgrounds for the time being.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:40 pm

NINGUEM wrote:im planing on making different Biomes, like not in the same game.
Each ROM would have a different Biome and Tile set, and it would be neat to have some matching weather for it.

changing games might sound annoying, but its for a world Conquest kind of Idea that uses Advance wars.
(Think of it like the Boardgame Risk, but each battle is done In Advance Wars.)
and i figured since its gonna be more maps then one game can hold anyway, why not make em different Biomes.
I'm pretty sure you can increase the ROM size somehow if you really want to add in more maps.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:36 am

MysteriousLad wrote:'m pretty sure you can increase the ROM size somehow if you really want to add in more maps.
You can, but there's a bunch of hardcoded limits in the headers for what the game considers a design map and what it considers a regular map (DMs are at the end of the list).

For what it's worth, the largest a GBA game can be is 32 MB.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 pm

here's 3 Glitches i found that Should not happen, but happens anyway for some reason.
not sure if there's any solution to these.
but its some glitches i ran into while hacking the game that i so far cant figure out.

#1: the map unload glitch i mentioned before, basically graphics mess up slightly when ever you unload Units from APC/Landers/T-copters.
Not a Game Braking Glitch, it just looks Ugly.
happens when ever you do any change to any Map sprite.

#2: CO face Glitch, an ugly glitch in the CO select Screen that makes the CO Face to the Right of the selected CO Disappear.
Again, doesn't seam to effect the game play, just looks ugly.
happens when ever you change the CO face on the select screen to a re-pointed Graphic.
(only way to avoid this glitch is to replace the graphic with out re pointing)

#3: Changing a CO's Army (Aka Olaf to Green Earth) sometimes Randomly Reverts back to the Old army during battle animations.
for example, i changed Olaf to GE and Drake to BM, on the Map the army's where fine and most battle animations worked, but when i attacked Drakes infantry with Olafs Copter, Olaf had the BM units and Drake the GE units. not sure what causes it.
i DO consider this one game braking, even if it doesn't stop the game from working.

1 & 2 is rather tame and could be ignored, but it does make the hack Look unprofessional.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:53 am

sorry for Bump, but i got a question.

Is it possible to Make Drake's Tsunami Power, Cut the Fuel With Out Doing any Damage?
putting damage to 0 seams to remove any Fuel cutting.

i wanted to Make a CO who Steals your Fuel & refuels His own units.
(speaking of that, i didn't get Jess's Refueling to work on Sonja ether)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Apologies that I missed these questions before, I only just noticed it now!
#1: the map unload glitch i mentioned before, basically graphics mess up slightly when ever you unload Units from APC/Landers/T-copters.
Not a Game Braking Glitch, it just looks Ugly.
happens when ever you do any change to any Map sprite.
If you've edited the in-motion graphics, perhaps you've got a slightly misaligned sprite or something? That's all that I can think of if you've reinserted the table correctly.
#2: CO face Glitch, an ugly glitch in the CO select Screen that makes the CO Face to the Right of the selected CO Disappear.
Again, doesn't seam to effect the game play, just looks ugly.
happens when ever you change the CO face on the select screen to a re-pointed Graphic.
(only way to avoid this glitch is to replace the graphic with out re pointing)
Occasionally some of the graphics have more than one pointer that point to the same graphic tile. I believe the CO graphics do this in a handful of places so that'd be something to check.
#3: Changing a CO's Army (Aka Olaf to Green Earth) sometimes Randomly Reverts back to the Old army during battle animations.
for example, i changed Olaf to GE and Drake to BM, on the Map the army's where fine and most battle animations worked, but when i attacked Drakes infantry with Olafs Copter, Olaf had the BM units and Drake the GE units. not sure what causes it.
i DO consider this one game braking, even if it doesn't stop the game from working.
Yeah. The in-battle sprites and the overworld map sprites check different places to see what army they use. The Map sprites use the one in the CO Data, but the battle animations have their own separate list...it's in my notes but I don't have it on hand at the moment. I think one of the Nightmare2 modules specify it too.
Is it possible to Make Drake's Tsunami Power, Cut the Fuel With Out Doing any Damage?
putting damage to 0 seams to remove any Fuel cutting.
It is! However you'll have to do some ASM work. Basically the mass-damage CO powers check if they do any damage and if they don't, they won't do anything to an enemy unit. It's possible to force the power to hit even if the damage is 0, but again it needs some ASM to do it.
(speaking of that, i didn't get Jess's Refueling to work on Sonja ether)
You'll need to change Sonja's CO Power to use the 'Default' style CO Power that animates on all units. Jess' refuelling doesn't work on the special fullscreen fade Sonja does normally.

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Xenesis wrote:If you've edited the in-motion graphics, perhaps you've got a slightly misaligned sprite or something? That's all that I can think of if you've reinserted the table correctly.
not sure how misaligned they could get? i use the GBA Graphics Editor TO putt sprites in, and they always have the same Size or Shape.
the glitch happens when any map Sprite in Motion graphics are edited, i changed quite a few, so its hard to believe ALL of them would be Misaligned.

maybe i use a Bad ROM or something?
Occasionally some of the graphics have more than one pointer that point to the same graphic tile. I believe the CO graphics do this in a handful of places so that'd be something to check.
strange, wouldn't GBA Graphics Editor have changed those? so far only Nell's normal face used more pointers.
but whats the Locations i would need to check in that case?
Yeah. The in-battle sprites and the overworld map sprites check different places to see what army they use. The Map sprites use the one in the CO Data, but the battle animations have their own separate list...it's in my notes but I don't have it on hand at the moment. I think one of the Nightmare2 modules specify it too.
is there an Update do the Nightmare2 moduels i don't have? i use them regularly and i haven't seen anything regarding army other then color, but that only changes the colors in War Room as far as im aware.
It is! However you'll have to do some ASM work. Basically the mass-damage CO powers check if they do any damage and if they don't, they won't do anything to an enemy unit. It's possible to force the power to hit even if the damage is 0, but again it needs some ASM to do it.
what would i need to Know for that? and do i need any tools.
i never done any ASM work before this ^^;
You'll need to change Sonja's CO Power to use the 'Default' style CO Power that animates on all units. Jess' refuelling doesn't work on the special fullscreen fade Sonja does normally.
i guess so, since i used Tsunami as the CO Power animation.
is there a way to make it hit ALL units like Hawk's Power does and still work? (Take fuel from enemy like tsunami, and Refuel own Units)

NINGUEM

Post by NINGUEM » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:29 am

sorry for another bump

i wanted to use the "pointerhackultra" and "defencedisplay" patches, unfortunately i had already been adding Graphics and such to the game.

is there a way to still add them to my game hack? with out any issue?

i tried the patches anyway, and for the most part it seamed to work with out issue.
but then i noticed some bugs, Mostly graphical at first, (though i would guess these are fixable, if the patch uses the location the graphics are in.)
but later i noticed that the Green earth & Yellow comet B-Copters couldn't attack each other, so it has to be more then just graphics.

edit:
i tried patching again, this time with OUT the "defencedisplay" patch.
i get the Same graphic error, but i didn't encounter the helicopter not attacking error this time.

im going to try and move the effected Graphics to a new Place in the Rom and try to patch again, & see if that helps.

re-edit:
Moving the graphics that were effected seams to have done it.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Yeah, from memory the IPS patch version of Pointer Hack Ultra uses the space just after the end of the original game's data (~0x620000). If you had anything in there, the patch would override it.

Defence Display from memory reclaims space that's already within the code area of the attack bar display code, so it shouldn't overwrite anything near the end of the ROM.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:40 am

I feel really dumb but what is the offset of the units?
Edit: nvm anyway, why are the non infantry sprites messed up? None of the widths work. (Using nlz editor)
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel