Increasing Unit cap in Advance wars DS

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
tweely

Increasing Unit cap in Advance wars DS

Postby tweely » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:13 am

Hello,
I love this game, and i usually play multiplayer on one map with my friends. However, when we are playing on large maps, the Unit cap is not enough to cover my whole strategy.
The question is, how can i increase the unit cap from 50 units to something larger like 250 units or so?
Im not very familiar with rom hacking, so telling me if that is even possible would be very helpfull.
the game is: Advance wars Dual strike
Thanks in advance

Satel

Re: Increasing Unit cap in Advance wars DS

Postby Satel » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:51 am

I'm not quite as well-versed in this as others, but while it probably is possible, it requires a good amount of extensive coding and repointing that I'm not sure you'd want to test your patience at.

If you're not familiar with rom hacking, I recommend you don't try this, because this is not beginner stuff.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Lambda

Postby Lambda » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:37 am

More units means expending unit tables in RAM for each army, and saving these datas as well. (plus a tons of other stuff)
With GBA engine for instance, it is not possible. (or you could just add a few more unit slots)

For NDS idk, I'm not sure about the RAM and saves limitations of the engine, but it would require a pretty good amount of coding. It's out of reach for somenone not familiar with rom hacking, sorry.

tweely

Postby tweely » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:06 am

Thanks for answers
Im playing it on my Nintendo DS + SD card

I was just wondering if there is simple trick like change number from 50 to 100 in game code. And as you said, its not that simple

ALAKTORN

Postby ALAKTORN » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:53 am

Also, wouldn’t the game crash simply because too many units could be too much for the hardware to handle? I know the game crashes by simply moving 12 squares which is 1 square more than the in-game maximum IIRC… (Adder/Koal SCOP Fighter).

Satel

Postby Satel » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:09 am

That one is because the pathfinding breaks.

While indeed it could be too much, there may be enough space in the DS RAM to add that. But that's just theory, because there may just as well not be enough space after all.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Lambda

Postby Lambda » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:10 pm

Also, wouldn’t the game crash simply because too many units could be too much for the hardware to handle? I know the game crashes by simply moving 12 squares which is 1 square more than the in-game maximum IIRC… (Adder/Koal SCOP Fighter).

It's because there is only 11 bytes allowed in RAM to store the unit path. (in fact a bit more but the graphics will start to mess up after 11 tiles, it'll crash after 15)
As for units, no it shouldn't be a problem afaik because units are drawn on the bg maps, and not as distinct OAM.
It would just take ages for AI to take a move.
Last edited by Lambda on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robosturm

Postby Robosturm » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:07 pm

This may not ROM-Hacking but maybe a little bit easier.

You may try my small Advance Wars Project for PC.
http://forums.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12896&start=80

You can change the Unit limit to infinite in the rule setup (as long as you're PC offers the RAM for it :D )

To play it via Internet may not work yet as the game doesn't handle laggs in the Connection.
But i'm currently working on this.

Sry for this advertisement. ;)
Commander Wars only another AW-Clone?
Want to help us? (We search some spriters)
CommanderWars@gmx.de

Return to “Syogun Change”