War Room Hack: Custom Edition planning

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
x0_000

War Room Hack: Custom Edition planning

Post by x0_000 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:31 pm

CURRENT BETA PATCH (Use NUPS to patch)

This is the thread where any progress and discussion regarding the next war room hack, War Room Hack: Custom Edition (name pending) will take place!

What are the goals of War Room Hack: Custom Edition?
  • Another War Room Hack, which will likely also lead to a framework to make AW2 hacking easier(?!)
  • Custom COs that will (hopefully) introduce new playstyles and reduce the consistency of strategies, so that approaching each map with a different CO requires some more thinking. (This already occurs for example with Sami and Kanbei.)
  • Related to the above, tweak existing COs to fit into the design goal.
  • ???
What's already done?
Very little at the moment. The current work is establishing a framework that will streamline inserting maps and COs. Keep an eye on this (hopefully growing) list???
  • Star charge formula changed. Stars are now worth 6000G. Attacking a unit gives 300 G per HP taken (so 1/2 star for a kill), while units taking damage charge the bar by (Cost/10 - 50) G. The net effect is that destroying cheap units is more advantageous for the attacker, while destroying expensive units is more advantageous for the defender.
  • Defense calculations slightly changed. Instead of reducing damage by (200- (Defense + Terrain Defense*HP/10)), defenses reduces damage by (200-Defense)*(100-Terrain Defense). Note the lack of HP in the Terrain Defense calculations. This has the net effect of making terrain defense less stupid for COs with high defense.
  • CO Changes:
    • Sonja induces FoW.
    • THE GRIMM IS IN
    • Andy's COP heals 3HP, and his SCOP heals 7 HP
    • Eagle has AWDS style Lightning Drive, i.e. all units reanimate with reduced attack. His air are also 120/100 instead of 115/110 to differentiate him from Perry.
    • Grit's indirects have 100/120/140 attack during D2D/COP/SCOP to differentiate him from Grimm more.
    • Kanbei's units are 120/120.
  • New CCO Monet:
    • xxxXXX
    • Day to day: Occupying non-allied properties increases income by half the property's value. Enemy occupied cities also reduce income by half the property's value. Note: The income changes aren't reflected in the status menu yet. Capture rate is reduced to 90% (This might cause 1 HP infantry to not have any capture rate...)
    • CO Power: Prevents enemies from gaining income for 1 turn.
    • Super CO Power: Converts money into damage; Damage from attacks is increased up to 100%, costing the player the target's damage for the difference (e.g. dealing 25% extra damage to a 7000G tank costs 1750G.) The effect only adds what you can afford.
  • New CCO Roxanne:
    • xxXXXX
    • Day to day: All units except infantry and recons are 150/100, and Infantry/Recons are 80/100. However, Roxanne's units have less max ammo. Specifically, mechs have 1 max ammo, and other units have 3 max ammo. Roxanne also cannot resupply ammo normally (i.e. APCs/properties.)
    • CO Power: Gives all units two more ammo, up to their cap.
    • Super CO Power: Fully reloads all ammo, and increases attack of non-infantry/recons to 200%.
  • New CCO Julia:
    • xxxxxXXXX
    • Day to day: Julia's properties have 15 capture points instead of the normal 20.
    • CO Power: Infantries may instantly capture cities (but not other property types.)
    • Super CO Power: During her turn, any attack that reduces an enemy unit down to 5 HP or less converts that unit to Julia's army (if the enemy unit dies, nothing happens.)
  • New CCO Perry:
    • xxxXXX
    • Day to day: Perry can deploy T-copters from bases, and air units are 120/120 with -1 movement.
    • CO Power: Air units become 150/150, and some B-copters spawn over his properties. You get approximately 1 B-copter for every 6 properties you own, rounded up.
    • Super CO Power: Air units become 150/150, and some Bombers/Fighters spawn over his properties. You get approximately 1 Bomber/Fighter for every 6 properties you own, rounded up and the game spawns them alternatingly, starting with Bombers.
  • New CCO Jugger:
    • xxxXXXXX
    • Day to day: Whenever you build a unit, there's a small chance something different is built. You're still charged the amount of the unit you tried to build. Units will not transform into unreasonable things in general (i.e. land units only transform into land units, infantries can't transform into high tier units, etc.)
    • CO Power: Changes a small number of your deployed army using similar rules as the day to day effect.
    • Super CO Power: Shuffles all units on the map.
  • New maps:
    • Sunburst: A Risky Vale style map vs Grimm. 18 Day time limit.
    • Wild Curve: Vs Grit.17 Day time limit.
    • Brook Trio: Vs Eagle. 15 Day time limit.
    • Spann Air: A remix of Spann Island Vs Adder. 12 Day time limit.
    • Eel River: Vs Sonja. 25 Day time limit.
    • Bad Dudes: Save the President of the United States! Vs Julia. 18 Day time limit.
    • Bean Isle: A remix of Bean Island Vs Grit. 20 Day time limit.
Bugs and stuff
  • The new CCO text data replaces existing CCO text data, so don't be surprised to see some strange descriptions.
  • Grimm doesn't have any text data inserted yet.
  • Joining units with Roxanne will ignore the 1/3 ammo cap. Abuse!
  • AI may not be able to use Monet and Roxanne effectively.
  • The AI seems to be very bad at actually using air units with Perry if the map doesn't have airports.
  • Infantries converted with Julia's SCOP still continue capturing if they are capturing a property, even if it doesn't make sense (e.g. if they're capturing Julia's properties.)
  • Units upgraded by Jugger's COP have a few bugs, mostly related to infantry and transports; If an infantry transforms into a non-infantry unit, they will be ammoless (so a bit useless for a bit), still be capturing if they were capturing, and can transform even if they are on mountains. (This last one is more of a feature than a bug, though!) Similarly if a transport is upgraded it will still transport whatever is in it.
  • Basically no CO Music added yet.
Works in progress
  • Countdown Map test: Patch here. Replaces Spann Island and Moji Island. The Spann Island version has the units; if the AI is too insane try it with this patch on top. No time limit yet. Might not include this in the hack, a bit too large for my tastes.
Pictures?
Older images:
http://i.imgur.com/ZmuNrjk.png
http://i.imgur.com/OBg8c5y.png
http://i.imgur.com/XrzISHW.png
http://i.imgur.com/Wq689l0.png
http://i.imgur.com/RUrJhcz.png
Last edited by x0_000 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

kiwi

Re: War Room Hack: Custom Edition planning

Post by kiwi » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:36 pm

whoa Andy's hair looks nice!

ok soooo if you do go with detailed sprites like that are you stuck with the AW backgrounds?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:37 pm

kiwi wrote:ok soooo if you do go with detailed sprites like that are you stuck with the AW backgrounds?
Nah, not in the slightest.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:39 pm

As this is a discussion thread, feel free to suggest either maps or CO ideas. For CO ideas, I will consider COs that make the player play differently than usual (from both perspectives; i.e. is using this CO interesting and is fighting against this CO interesting.)

Examples of interesting COs and why they are interesting:
  • Max - Reduced indirect range can change strategies on many maps.
  • Sami/Sensei - Both COs have abilities suited to extreme HQ capture strategies. Fighting against Sami also requires special handling when her CO Powers come up (in a way that's different from usual CO Powers.) Fighting against Sensei requires either controlling his CO Power gauges or work harder for a Power rank.
  • Kanbei - Increased funds gives a weaker expansion phase.
  • Eagle - Lightning Strike changes how you have to approach him for both sides.
This list is not exhaustive but hopefully it illustrates what I'm aiming for in CO ideas!
kiwi wrote:whoa Andy's hair looks nice!

ok soooo if you do go with detailed sprites like that are you stuck with the AW backgrounds?
That sprite is a placeholder taken from APB.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:30 pm

Oh sweet this is a thing! Hm, I'll go see what sounds interesting from CW. Are we sticking to vanilla AW2 in terms of units and number of maps? We could safely bump up the number of maps to 45, and I have a few unit ideas but I know custom stuff only goes so far.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:34 pm

I think it's a good idea to limit custom content to COs and maps for now. If there are a lot of interesting maps we can probably increase the limit, but let's aim for quality over quantity and try coming up with unique/interesting challenges and refining them. Although I think we'll still have a Spann Island variation for the first map :v

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:41 pm

For what it's worth, the game has ram allocated for 232 High Scores (30 War Room Maps x 5 per map and 41 Campaign x 2 per map).

Depending on how you wanted to juggle it, you could tailor the map list pretty easy to your liking.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:00 pm

A Spann Island variant, you say? Well there's only one answer to that...

The next extreme of ex-SPANN-sion! (Note, not a real map suggestion, I'm just getting the idea across)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:38 pm

Hey, I got those macros working nicely: Link

No exhaustive tests, but fundamentally works fine.

This was my test:

Code: Select all

;CO Macro Test
	setCODefaults		COAndy

setCOPowerCost		COAndy,4
	setCOPowerCost		COAndy,5
	setCOArmyStyle		COAndy,ArmyOrangeStar
	setCOPropStyle		COAndy,ArmyOrangeStar

setCOD2DUnitStrength	COAndy,UnitTypeMech,20,0,1,0
	setCOD2DUnitStrength	COAndy,UnitTypeArtillery,20,0,0,1

setCOPowerUnitStrength	COAndy,UnitTypeRockets,30,30,1,0
	setCOGFXPowerFX		COAndy,COPEffectUpgradeTanks
	setCOPowerSnowFirepower COAndy,20
	setCOD2DIncome		COAndy,100
	SetCOSuperUnitStrength	COAndy,UnitTypeBomber,30,-30,-1,0

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:41 am

Nice, I'm going to make some edits and additions and port PHU over.

Edit: Done!!! Even ported the default CO stats over.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:09 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
(Placeholder graphic is Balalaika from Black Lagoon.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc52uc5mck05w ... t.ups?dl=0 The first official(?) patch is out!!! Replaces Andy with Monet for playtesting purposes. Give it a download and try it out, look out for any bugs. The detailed CO info:

Day to day: Occupying a non-allied property increases funds by half the property's value. Occupying an enemy property also decreases the enemy's funds by the same amount.
CO Power: Enemies get no income for the turn.
Super CO Power: Converts money into raw damage at a rate of targetCost/100G per 1% damage. Stops at 100%. If you don't have enough money to reach 100% then it just increases damage until you can't pay for it.

JSRulz

Post by JSRulz » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Interesting stuff. I mean, obviously Custom Wars Original has a lot of potential to draw from (if by potential you mean same-y CO ideas)...
http://forums.customwars.com/viewforum.php?f=70

I wrote up a more substantial list of ideas here, but this page won't be up past August 2015...
https://code.google.com/p/cwtactics/wik ... ingOfficer

and some of mine from the past...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11753

Definitely something I'll be keeping an eye on. Changing AW2 to any modification is a great way to test out the magnitude of ideas that people came up with. I wish the best for this project and I hope to get a chance to try out all these crazy ideas.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Nice project, I kinda love community projects like that. Do you plan to replace all the existing COs like you did with Andy or it's just for testing purposes ?

Anyway, do you still plan to finish that map editor in python ? I used to use it a lot for custom maps, but the lacks of BH inventions & pipes made it a bit limited.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:59 pm

So with Monet he gets 500G of income for every unit standing on a property that isn't his, and for every unit he has on an enemy's property that enemy loses 500G of income? He SOUNDS overpowered at the moment but it's definitely an interesting concept, especially the COPs, those are something to watch out for. If I may suggest a weakness I'm thinking he could lose 500G of income for every enemy unit on one of his properties. Also 2 stars is probably too low for effectively stopping the enemy from building units for a day; just halving the income might feel better. I'll try him out on some maps tomorrow.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:17 am

Yeah, 2 stars is definitely cheap for a no income so I raised the cost to 3 stars, atlhough it might still be strong. Hard to tell against the AI :v I also added a 90% capture rate weakness (not sure how that interacts with 1 HP units, are they unable to capture???) which is an interesting weakness that helps balance Monet's strong early game. I did some playtests on Crater Isle and Fist Peninsula and she's pretty interesting to use so far. I might switch back to 2 stars and do the half funds version, chaining this COP might be interesting.

Lambda: The patch is solely for testing Monet, there'll be future patches like that for other CCO ideas. I'll probably update the map editor when I get around to making maps...

JSR: There's a lot of ideas (maybe too much???) to go through. I have written down some ideas to expand on if anyone wants to flesh them out:
  • CW Julia: unit attack doesn't go down with HP, 80/100 or 70/100 base stats to counterbalance it? Possibly combine with some powerset that lets her units survive at 1 HP. I think the original CW powers are too complex though.
  • A no-join CO. Joining is a subtle but useful ability so locking it out could get some interesting gameplay.
  • A prison CO; units can "imprison" enemy units and remove them from the battle temporarily (gameplay-wise the "imprisoner" would load themselves into the "prisoner".) Rules would need to be refined to avoid weird situations like an Infantry imprisoning a Md Tank. Imprisoners are unable to do anything but release the prisoner.
  • Passive healing CO. Units get healed passively, possibly on kills? Like recover 1 HP per kill or something. Would need an interesting power set/weakness to complement it.
  • Low Ammo CO. All units have 1/3 ammo capacity, basically making all units mech levels of ammo. Unable to refuel ammo on cities, so the player needs to deploy more APCs.
  • Self-Damage CO. A CO with self-damaging powers, e.g. reverse mass damage. Would need a really good skillset to make it interesting.
  • Alternate charging rules CO. Pretty open-ended idea to work off.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:33 am

An idea for a self-damaging CO from 2004 was one whose attack and defense increased inversely to HP. The mass damage powers hit ally and enemy alike and thus meant a unique way to boost power. I've always liked that concept so much.

Another out of the box idea I still love is that one CO I once made that had 12 HP units but paper defence.

Oh, and that one CO that could heal its own units by attacking them for negative damage. Another one I'm still dying to see for real.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:08 am

A healing CO could work really well with a no joining/no repair mechanic to force the player to rely on the healing mechanic to recover HP. I think the idea would need CO Powers that cover a different niche to give it more variety, though.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 am

x0_000 wrote:[*] Alternate charging rules CO. Pretty open-ended idea to work off.
I think your old Robo-Andy concept could be moulded around something like this:

•Alternate charging rules (Something like gains charge per day or per capture or something)
•High D2D stats
•Self-weakening CO Power that's forcibly used when it's charged.

Would add a different tempo to the power use.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:56 pm

ooo put Edge in!

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Oh, and that one CO that could heal its own units by attacking them for negative damage. Another one I'm still dying to see for real.
thats really doable, but making the AI use it correctly is another story

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:30 pm

kiwi wrote:ooo put Edge in!
Who is Edge? I can't find him.

Anyways I have a couple suggestions.

I have one CO idea. This kind of CO would get a boost to his direct units if additional friendly units are next to the target. This is a mechanic seen in some other strategy games but to have it for just one CO might be interesting especially if his weakness is his defense is lowered when the enemy does the same to him.

I'm also interested in another non-boss DoR character being added. Playing mix-and-match with different game mechanics via CO abilities is a pretty neat concept to me.

I don't have any maps made yet, but I found out about these two maps:
http://gbwn.main.jp/NewMap16_GE_SFW.htm
http://gbwn.main.jp/NewMap16_YC_SFW.htm
And while they're stupid huge (especially the second one) they're the only maps to not be featured in any post-SFW games. I have the GE map made in the AW2 format so we can add that easy. Seems like it'd be cool.

Also I've made the following observations about the previous hack:
- AW1 campaign style maps can be very hard if done right (see Old Wounds)
- Playing off the enemy CO's strength makes for a touch challenge (see Bank Robbery)
- Giving the computer a Port is asking for trouble. They typically spam Landers so unless the AI is changed navy is probably best restricted to pre-deployed.
- The AI likes to build as far away from its HQ as possible
- Olaf's snow rarely actually hurt to play in, in fact Drake wrecked him even worse so Olaf being the enemy CO often leads to Drake being a superior choice to everyone else, I feel.
- Lash, Adder and Hawke feel very boring to play with/against.
- Sonja causing Fog of War was great for the computer: not so much the player. This is due to AW2 Fog being bad moreso than Sonja herself. I think I want all the COs to be interesting picks for both sides since the ultimate goal is to S-Rank all maps with all COs anyways.
- Sensei probably ought to not have the +1 transport move bonus. He's actually pretty okay otherwise.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:19 am

The first CO idea sounds interesting, but it would need to be more restrictive because the player already has incentives to surround enemy units; I'd make it something like only working if infantry surround the enemy (or some unit you wouldn't normally use to surround units with.) Having his weakness be his own ability used against him is not as interesting since we already get that gameplay by playing against him. I would probably find something that encourages using his d2d and changes a different aspect of his game at the same time. (Related to this discussion, I tried Risky Vale with Monet and I can say her capture penalty makes that map much harder...)

I'm not sure which DoR CO you want to bring over, most of them are pretty generic. Tabitha is the only one I'd consider.

If you have the map made you might as well upload it and I can get a patch out with it with the new COs for testing.

Olaf can be rebalanced so his snow comes in more frequently, and we should make all weather change COs not overlap each other with their d2ds.

Lash needs some fixing, I'm thinking of giving her reduced tire movement costs (tread costs possibly) as a d2d. I feel like at least one of Adder and Hawke should stay, because they both fill the "no flashy game changing powers" niche (ok technically Black Storm is pretty strong), which in itself is a challenge for the player. But I agree as enemy COs they're not that interesting.

For the +1 transport bonus, I'd rather give it to Sensei rather than Sami because Sami already has a good solid HQ capture bonus, but giving it to a custom CO is also fine.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:32 pm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/691 ... %20Map.zip

I think I missed a unit or two from the original map, but it's probably just the infantry and recon on the island.

Penny and Tabitha might be interesting. We don't have a random weather inducer, and Tabitha puts a spin on an already unique mechanic. Plus, if my theory that WRH2 is canonically a big experiment by Caulder is correct, then adding Penny and Tabitha makes sense.

Uh...yeah...these hacks apparently have a canon now...XD I'm also interested in having smack talk before each map like in the AWDS Survival modes, but that's just flavor text.

The reason I wanted to take off the +1 transport bonus is because it might break a map or two but now that I think about it, that isn't a big deal if the map design keeps it in mind. I'd prefer the maps have equal difficulty with all COs except the bosses is all.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:05 pm

Alright, here's a patch with the map in for playtesting (Adder is the CO because that map looks pretty rough.) Speed limit is 100 since score isn't really relevant. Spann Island is replaced with the map + units, Moji Island is just the map. The only comment I have now is that the map is pretty tall; it gets cutoff by the property data in the select screen.

Other changes in the patch:
  • All maps and COs are unlocked by default.
  • Grimm added in. (His text is Kanbei's though.) Monet and Grimm are their own COs, in the War Room select they appear after Black Hole.
  • Monet's 1 HP infantry now have 1 capture instead of 0 capture.
  • Eagle has AWDS Lightning Drive.
  • Max has his AWDS stats.
  • Defence display hack added.
  • There might be bugs with the default CO stats, I haven't doublechecked all of them.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Ah, cool. Let's just try this and...

Oh why didn't I catch this sooner. The BM units have 04 for their AI which is going to make the map impossible. I didn't realize the units in Royal Channel were set to 00 ^^; On the bright side, Adder with a bunch of 00 AI units actually looks like something that could be interesting since while you're avoiding the AI's range Adder might COP and catch you by surprise.

Here's a patch for the AI changes. Apply it to a ROM with x0_000's patch already applied: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/691 ... h0_fix.ups

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:44 pm

Started working on an actual map for the hack...!!! Here's a patch with it replacing Duo Falls (vs Eagle, although he might not be the best enemy.) S-rank time is tentatively set to 15 days as I was able to rout it(!?) with Monet in 17 days. I might remove the player's starting city and some silos to make it harder too.

Edit: 14 days with Kanbei. I'll probably remove 1 silo, the starting city and 1 of the neutral cities near the forest path from the player in a later revision.

Edit 2: 20 days with some poor Grimm play.

If you playtest it, give the CO/Time taken data, thoughts about difficulty and any ideas to improve the design!
Last edited by x0_000 on Fri May 15, 2015 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu May 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Nice to see I'm not the only one that must have roads connect to buildings.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:03 am

I think it's a pretty good map. I was 1 day short of an S with Monet and Kanbei but I can do better. The only forseeable problem is the chance of the AI parking a tank on your HQ and keeping it there, negating any chance of a capture - it happened with my Kanbei run. But otherwise, nice map.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:46 am

For anyone looking to make a map, here is a conceptual design that needs to be finished:
The enemy CO is Sensei. You don't have to use that actual map as a base, the image just demonstrates the idea.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:49 am

So I made this using that concept:

It's 15x20. The B-Copter is placed where it is because I only tested the map in vanilla AW2, and all units get 04 AI in custom maps. It could probably be a little more interesting to put 00 AI B-Copters in places where the player has to be careful not to aggro both. The map isn't totally hard at the moment, but in my testing the AI wasted money on Missiles (as expected to be honest :( )

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 am

Nah, the entire point is the choice between dealing with 2 aggro'd b-copters or giving Sensei an extremely early lead :v

Edit: Also, I was hoping for something less symmetric than my draft.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon May 18, 2015 2:29 pm

how are you gonna reach those islands with only land units?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon May 18, 2015 2:37 pm

You're not. It was something x0_000 was brainstorming in the IRC the other day - basically you advance towards the enemy while fighting off an invasion airforce. I think I'll give it my own shot later today.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:22 pm

Another map!!! I call it... Sunburst. Think of it as Risky Vale 3.0.
Patch here, 18 day time limit. This one is definitely going in; it's not as rough as Risky Vale, although the best strategy is a bit counterintuitive. It does have Risky Vale's careful technique requirement, especially since Grimm is the opponent!!! I got an easy S-rank with Kanbei and a non-S Rank with Sami, but both of the Sami games were testing some strategies that were not as optimal as I thought, so I think it's pretty reasonable for the S-Rank.

Edit: 16 day S-Rank with Monet.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Fri May 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Are the S-Rank conditions different in vanilla AW2? I just Mech flooded this map with Sami and got 300 in 18 days but I'm pretty sure I had 77 deployed and 8 lost...

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:31 am

The 10 units per unit destroyed is a rule of thumb, the actual rules is somewhere between at least 9 units/destroyed and 10 units/destroyed.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:40 am

Oh. Well in that case...

Also I remembered I had another map idea, which I like to call "Wafflak" even though Flak won't be in this hack :P
Spoiler: show
Unit formations could probably stand to be changed a little as I haven't tested this map idea at all.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sun May 24, 2015 1:02 am

How are maps to be submitted?

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:35 am

Use my map editor to get a hack insertable file or just post the map image, I can make the file myself.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:14 am

Here's the Spann Island replacement! :D Now I need to teach the AI to build air units...