So Nowhere Have I Ever Seen Victory Quotes Mentioned

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Luke Herzen

So Nowhere Have I Ever Seen Victory Quotes Mentioned

Post by Luke Herzen » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Yo guys, basically what I said in the title. I'm making a hack of AW2(4 Missions complete) and there seems to be nothing about where the game determines what text ID is the victory quote for a given Mission.
I've seen that there was a short piece of dialogue for Cleanup that contained the text ID with the victory quote, but removing that didn't change anything, and I couldn't find the ID in the campaign map header/ map header;

tl;dr I have no clue where the game determines campaign victory quotes and before I go the annoying route and just go with the IDs the game uses, I wanted to ask if someone here has some knowledge I missed about there being a table for that somewhere or about something I missed in the map headers.
Thanks in advance,
Luke Herzen

RadioShadow

Re: So Nowhere Have I Ever Seen Victory Quotes Mentioned

Post by RadioShadow » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:15 pm

I'll have a look when I got more time, but the Text ID (integer) is the offset location, which that offset will contain the actual offset (long) to the text.

I would recommend looking at the CO Date and figuring out how the Victory Quotes are called. Once you figured out the text ID the game is calling, you might have better luck finding it (I suspect is in the Campaign dialogue code).

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Yep, so I just checked my files, it's not actually listed anywhere how the game chooses which text ID to use for the victory text. Not in the CO Data, mission data or any of the mission scripting. So...I decided to investigate. It's stupider than I could have possibly imagined.

There's a subroutine at 0x0807A3AC. It is mostly a jump table with hardcoded text IDs for each mission. So you can either edit the entries in the ASM code there...or recycle the text IDs.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Luke Herzen

Post by Luke Herzen » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks for the research.
Wow, that's needlessly complicated. Recycling it is! :gesalute:

Luke Herzen

Post by Luke Herzen » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:32 am

So this is sort of related but not really.
This time I'm asking about the background pictures used for the victory screens. I don't know where those are determined and how to change it.

On a side note, the campaign missions all have a part in their dialogue consisting of the corresponding character saying their victory quote, but nothing points to that and wiping it doesn't change anything. So they wanted to include this stuff in the normal script at some point, but decided against it for some reason. Possibly due to not making it work in time and using something that might be AW1 legacy code instead.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:42 pm

This explains how to actually change the images themselves, if you know how to debug you can find the routine that maps images to missions using the information in the nightmare module.
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 pm

It's something I discovered a little while ago but I don't think I ever updated the post in question.

It's in the map's header and it's the byte +0x16 from the start of the map header entry. The list of backgrounds:

Code: Select all

Map Header+0x16
Victory Background ID
0x0 = Randomly select from all backgrounds
0x1 = Standard
0x2 = Exploding Tanks
0x3 = Laboratory
0x4 = Factory
0x5 = Soldiers Marching
0x6 = Ships Exploding
0x7 = Andy, Max, Sami on Tank
0x8 = River
0x9 = Planes Exploding
0xA = Black Cannon
0xB = Destroyed Town
0xC = Missile Silo
0xD = Tank in the Woods
0xE = Tank at Fortress
0xF = Sea Fortress
0x10 = Volcano
0x11 = Hot Pursuit
0x12 = Deathray
I guess you inspired me to go update that post anyway!
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.