Can someone reccomend a GBA emulator and a AW2 ROM?

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:51 am

Really? Dang, I knew European video game players had it horrible, but I didn't know that they took parts out of the instruction manual... No wonder today's generation is so screwed up.
CumulusCentral : It's dot-com!
"He's gonna win..." The Ever-Loving Linkman, talking about my Character Battle Predictions.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:06 am

thefalman wrote:Oddly enough, Nintendo seems to have neglected to put any legal detailed legal info in the UK instruction manual beyond 'Copyright Nintendo/Intelligent Systems 2005' etc... however, Copyright is still Copyright.
EXACTLY!

I live in the UK.

Oracle = PWNED

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:08 am

You still haven't solved the minor problem of the game being, y'know, copyrighted and all. >_>
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:21 am

thefalman wrote:You still haven't solved the minor problem of the game being, y'know, copyrighted and all. >_>
I thoguht copyright just means you can't claim it as your own program/logo/etc. Key part of word: copy.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:46 am

From this site.
What is Copyright?

Copyright gives the creators of certain kinds of material rights to control ways their material can be used. These rights start as soon as the material is recorded in writing or in any other way. There is no official registration system. The rights cover:

* copying;
* adapting;
* distributing;
* communicating to the public by electronic transmission (including by broadcasting and in an on demand service);
* renting or lending copies to the public; and,
* performing in public
So the way I see it, Nintendo is entitled set whatever policies it wishes concerning its own copyright material, and therefore is perfectly entitled to sue you for copyright infringment if you copy its games.[/quote]
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:00 am

thefalman wrote:From this site.
What is Copyright?

Copyright gives the creators of certain kinds of material rights to control ways their material can be used. These rights start as soon as the material is recorded in writing or in any other way. There is no official registration system. The rights cover:

* copying;
* adapting;
* distributing;
* communicating to the public by electronic transmission (including by broadcasting and in an on demand service);
* renting or lending copies to the public; and,
* performing in public
So the way I see it, Nintendo is entitled set whatever policies it wishes concerning its own copyright material, and therefore is perfectly entitled to sue you for copyright infringment if you copy its games.
[/quote]

Ok fine. Just if some global police find this site and find we're using ROMs..............urgh

TheChronoMaster

Post by TheChronoMaster » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:06 am

Global Police don't care.

Heck, I don't think Nintendo cares. Heck, I even think Miyamoto himself has ROMs.
Credit to Deoxy.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:11 am

Nintendo bod: "Ahh, Disco Stowm! Is vewwy interwesting... wiw put in next game!"

>_>

*gets shot*

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:15 am

TheChronoMaster wrote:Global Police don't care.

Heck, I don't think Nintendo cares. Heck, I even think Miyamoto himself has ROMs.

So this whole topic was for nothing?????

XD

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:03 am

Just as long as you don't sell it.
What can change the nature of a man?

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:41 am

Exactly so ROMs aren't illegal as long as you own the game and don't sell it!!!!!!!

Besides, if what you're saying is true, Windows Media Player would be illegal becuase it can copy music from a CD to your hard drive.

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:04 am

bogman wrote:Besides, if what you're saying is true, Windows Media Player would be illegal becuase it can copy music from a CD to your hard drive.
Oracle of Wuffing wrote:Just because a program can do something illegal, doesn't mean that it only does something illegal (though, on the case of emulators, it does tend to lean that way for a good amount of users).
Nice job of retaining information, there.
bogman wrote:Exactly so ROMs aren't illegal as long as you own the game and don't sell it!!!!!!!
Yeah, sure, it's perfectly legal to massively distribute ROMs on a filesharing network as long as you do it for free and own the game. Xenesis, we need more paper shredders here!

Just because the police don't care doesn't mean it's legal- just think about how the world would be if that sort of logic was followed. Like I said before...
Oracle of Wuffing wrote:There's absolutely no way in the world you would get caught making ROMs for personal use, though. So it's more of an ethics question.
As far as Shiggy having ROMs? Well, if he owns a copy of Animal Crossing, I can guarantee you that he does. :wink: Otherwise, I do believe I read in an interview that he's torn between both sides of the arguement, as he loves the idea that people are still playing old games, but he doesn't like the idea that the economy loses out. On a related topic, Yuji Naka just found out a month or two ago that the Sonic 2 Beta ROM, the one that Sonic Team thought was destroyed, has been circulating around on the 'net.
CumulusCentral : It's dot-com!
"He's gonna win..." The Ever-Loving Linkman, talking about my Character Battle Predictions.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:11 am

Oracle of Wuffing wrote:
bogman wrote:Besides, if what you're saying is true, Windows Media Player would be illegal becuase it can copy music from a CD to your hard drive.
Oracle of Wuffing wrote:Just because a program can do something illegal, doesn't mean that it only does something illegal (though, on the case of emulators, it does tend to lean that way for a good amount of users).
Nice job of retaining information, there.
bogman wrote:Exactly so ROMs aren't illegal as long as you own the game and don't sell it!!!!!!!
Yeah, sure, it's perfectly legal to massively distribute ROMs on a filesharing network as long as you do it for free and own the game. Xenesis, we need more paper shredders here!

Just because the police don't care doesn't mean it's legal- just think about how the world would be if that sort of logic was followed. Like I said before...
Oracle of Wuffing wrote:There's absolutely no way in the world you would get caught making ROMs for personal use, though. So it's more of an ethics question.
As far as Shiggy having ROMs? Well, if he owns a copy of Animal Crossing, I can guarantee you that he does. :wink: Otherwise, I do believe I read in an interview that he's torn between both sides of the arguement, as he loves the idea that people are still playing old games, but he doesn't like the idea that the economy loses out. On a related topic, Yuji Naka just found out a month or two ago that the Sonic 2 Beta ROM, the one that Sonic Team thought was destroyed, has been circulating around on the 'net.

*searches for sonic beta ROM on Google*

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:18 am

...I used to have the Sonic Advance 3 Beta ROM...
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:22 pm

I had no such luck finding it. All of the downloads were either dead links, or had adverts at the start of the ROM.

It looks like Sega have tracked down the renegade copies.....

Natirasha

Post by Natirasha » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:02 am

far,far,far off this topic

<moderated stuff>

HPD: Sorry, but also linking to ROM providing sites and/or requesting links to ROM sites is something that we don't do either.
the official King of Guild Wars
My campaign at AWN currently: COTC, showing how COs get their powers

Ruex Valintine

Post by Ruex Valintine » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 pm

One might think that this is a very important thread. Maybe this should be sticky-ed or something? Its a very valuable thread, and if anything was to come up about copyrights and the like, people can refrence to this thread.

And it was entertaining, which makes a better read!

Any objections?
"Where there is Light, there is Darkness"
Skys Of Arcadia, GC.

What I Hear I forget;
What I see I remember;
What I touch I understand
-Lao Tzu-