No one's hacked AW1 yet?

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Shift Breaker

No one's hacked AW1 yet?

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:41 am

Why not? I can't do it myself(Not all that good at hacking), but I'm wondering, why not? How different is the coding and all that? I'm sure you could edit some of the COPs into their SCOP forms from AW2. You could probably remove Sturm's meteor completly, and just make him into Grimm(190/80 for his Power? Maybe too much.) It may also let you make a Winter Fury(At the cost of...well, more units destroyed/lost, Increasing the bars 'n all that.).

I'm just wondering. I'm not saying you should, I'm just wondering why it's all about AW2, not letting where it(Or the GBA part of the Wars Series) started get some of the action.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:49 am

As far as I go, it's because Advance Wars 2 has more things to mess with. Everything that's in Advance Wars is in Advance Wars 2, and when you're just hex editing, you go with what gives you the most options.
CumulusCentral : It's dot-com!
"He's gonna win..." The Ever-Loving Linkman, talking about my Character Battle Predictions.

cpubasic13

Post by cpubasic13 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:37 pm

Actually, it might be good to try to find some stuff for Advance Wars first. Think about it: you figure out how map data is stored in Advance Wars. You then apply it to Advance Wars 2 and... yeah, simple.

It would also help in figuring out some... little things.

One other thing: Advance Wars is 4.00 mb. Advance Wars 2: 8.00 mb. A lot easier with the information finding to begin with.

If AW and AW2 are similar (which they are) then possibly search up something we know already about AW2 and apply it to AW... then we can start making series hacks once we get a DS emulator and such...

Just my POV...

EDIT: Dear God, I forgot and mistyped words. I gotta get online some more now...

EDIT2: Yeah, like I said, using the data here already, we can find data for AW1. I believe I have found the Fighter data in AW1, so maybe I can find the rest...
"Is there a sign on my door that says 'Wanted: Everyone I hate?'" -Strong Bad

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:59 pm

Hmm. So it'd be possible to do a Balance Hack, and then an unbalanced Hack too, and maybe try and introduce Flak into the game. Maybe Adder too, though I'm not sure about Hawke/Lash. It'd make Campaign Mode Sturm Playable though.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:44 pm

Assuming that AW1's CO Stats and movement system behaves in the same way as AW2's system, the only Black Hole CO to worry about would be Hawke, and that's just the COP. Lash probably wouldn't get Prime Tactics, though... You'd have to settle for Terrain Tactics.

There's also a tidbit that the COP Meters aren't star-based, but number based, I don't know how that'd look in the ROM.

Hachi's Merchant Union probably wouldn't fit in there, but Barter might, assuming that AW1's price modifier works like AW2's. Colin, on the other hand, wouldn't have a CO Power in AW1-
(Xenesis): YES!

As far as Jess and Sensei goes, if there's a value for vehicle stat modifiers- and unless IS was thinking ahead when they made AW1, there isn't- they can get their day-to-day stats in. Don't know about Jess's refueling or Sensei's COP, though.

Also, um, keep in mind that you can't add CO's, you can only write over them. At least for a while.
"He's gonna win..." The Ever-Loving Linkman, talking about my Character Battle Predictions.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:58 pm

I don't think you'd be able to get Lash's Terrain into firepower effect either, as that's a completely new mechanic that was added in AW2....
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:09 am

Oh, yeah. That's also why I don't usually visit the internet at 9:30 AM.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:11 am

Well, yeah, that's basically what I mean. Like Hacking CCOs in AW2. You're just editing their stats and name, replacing another CO. You're just hacking it in.

So. What would the powers & Other Stats of COs be like? You might find out about Andy's healing too, for use in AW2 hacking, assuming they're the same. Who would you remove? Playing as Jess instead of Max in Campaign mode would be good though...Or just playing as Jess in AW1.

Andy: Same. Maybe a +1 Move for Hyper Repair, or just remove & Replace w/ Hyper Upgrade(With higher offence bonus)
Max: Same.
Sami: Victory March? Possibly.
Nell: Same
Hachi: Barter, maybe. Lowering costs could be easy.
Olaf: Same, though a 1HP damaging blizzard might work.
Grit: Same
Colin: Lower than usual costs, yeah. Gold Rush? Nah. Power of Money? Nah. COLIN INVENTION TIME YEAH! Lower Costs is basically just a weaker barter, So what? Make something money based, I suppose.
Eagle: Same
Drake: Same
Jess: Well, assuming you can't do the Ammo/Fuel refilling, Just do Overdrive w/o it. I'm not sure if you can even put her in.
Kanbei: Same
Sonja: Same, I suppose.
Sensei: I'm unsure about this one. The Copters, Maybe, and the infantry. But not the city deployment.
Flak: Ya. Some sort of mix between Brute force & Barbaric blow. Something inbetween the stats of them.
Lash: If you can get the +10% for terrain stars, that'll be good. But her power will just be sturm's day to day. Maybe something new? If you can get her in, that is.
Adder: Easy. +10% offence & Defence for power, and +1 movement. Make it cheap. The +10% offence is because every power boosts offence.(Why they removed it in AW2 is beyond me)(Yes, I'm aware of Lightning strike and that it's an exception.)
Hawke: No Idea. You COULD try combining Tsunami, without the rain & Fuel Loss & Hyper Repair though.
Sturm: Same, though maybe 110/100.

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:17 am

We know about Andy's AW2 healing as it is, though. Also, things just aren't as simple as "We have one Power that hurts, one power that heals, let's combine them!" as each power so far has been separately contained- so mixing powers is a no-go (unless you're just talking about weather).

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 am

Shift Breaker wrote:Well, yeah, that's basically what I mean. Like Hacking CCOs in AW2. You're just editing their stats and name, replacing another CO. You're just hacking it in.

So. What would the powers & Other Stats of COs be like? You might find out about Andy's healing too, for use in AW2 hacking, assuming they're the same. Who would you remove? Playing as Jess instead of Max in Campaign mode would be good though...Or just playing as Jess in AW1.
Hehe. It would be fun in the least...I wouldn't mind playing the entire AW Campaign as a CO like Flak, or Adder.
Andy: Same. Maybe a +1 Move for Hyper Repair, or just remove & Replace w/ Hyper Upgrade(With higher offence bonus)
Max: Same.
Sami: Victory March? Possibly.
Nell: Same
These all use preexisting mechanics, so no real issues.
Hachi: Barter, maybe. Lowering costs could be easy.
Yeah...it depends if there's seperate cost modifiers for a CO power though.
Olaf: Same, though a 1HP damaging blizzard might work.
It'd require modifying the Tsunami code, and seeing if it can change the weather......
Grit: Same
Indeed.
Colin: Lower than usual costs, yeah. Gold Rush? Nah. Power of Money? Nah. COLIN INVENTION TIME YEAH! Lower Costs is basically just a weaker barter, So what? Make something money based, I suppose.
Considering there's no preexisting money based mechanics, I'm not sure a money based power would be possible at all.
Eagle: Same
Drake: Same
Well, yep. Drake's might not be able to get any rainmaking on his powers though.
Jess: Well, assuming you can't do the Ammo/Fuel refilling, Just do Overdrive w/o it. I'm not sure if you can even put her in.
Hmm..like Wuffy has said, it depends if there's a Vehicle stat, instead of just direct/indirect/navy/air/transport/soldier stats.
Kanbei: Same
Aye. Samurai Spirit's Counterattack Multiplier probably couldn't be implemented though.
Sonja: Same, I suppose.
Depends on if we want to put in her counterattack bonuses with the 1.5 day to day and the pre-emptive SCOP strike...a toughie.
Sensei: I'm unsure about this one. The Copters, Maybe, and the infantry. But not the city deployment.
Definitely a big maybe with the Copters. Like with Jess, there may not be a seperate 'copter' stat, and it's just an air unit stat.
Flak: Ya. Some sort of mix between Brute force & Barbaric blow. Something inbetween the stats of them.
Yep, quite easy as both the mechanics of positive and negative luck exist here.
Lash: If you can get the +10% for terrain stars, that'll be good. But her power will just be sturm's day to day. Maybe something new? If you can get her in, that is.
Lash is probably the least likely of all the AW2 COs to be put back into AW1, simply because she has two new mechanics unique to her.
Adder: Easy. +10% offence & Defence for power, and +1 movement. Make it cheap. The +10% offence is because every power boosts offence.(Why they removed it in AW2 is beyond me)(Yes, I'm aware of Lightning strike and that it's an exception.)
Yeah, Adder should be easy.
Hawke: No Idea. You COULD try combining Tsunami, without the rain & Fuel Loss & Hyper Repair though.
Well, what I know from AW2 Mass damage code is that it's very similar to mass repair code...Hawke's is just set to target both the enemy and ally and apply a 1 or 2 HP change...altering Tsunami by itself is probably the best bet.
Sturm: Same, though maybe 110/100.
Sturm would just be a stat tweak and nothing more, really.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:27 am

Hmm....I don't know about Hawke. Just something that grants a firepower boost & deals damage, I suppose.

NovaCid9

Post by NovaCid9 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:47 am

Does anyone have an AW1 game with everything unlocked? Just curious.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:26 pm

I did, but then I felt the urge to restart and go through it all again...so I don't have Drake, Sturm or Nell unlocked.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:13 pm

Enh, I considered restarting once. But my Vs. Mode TFB(Normal Mode, Grit/Kanbei) is too good to get rid of.

But it's Hard. HARDER than Campaign mode, because of the high defence.