Advance Wars 2 - Balance Hack - Version 2.1

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Advance Wars 2 - Balance Hack - Version 2.0

Postby Xenesis » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:44 pm

I don't see that bug in my version. You sure you got a clean rom and weren't editing one or something?

Anyhow, Balance Hack 2.1 has been released.

Changes:

Game Balance:

Max:
140% Firepower under Max Force
200% Firepower under Max Blast

Grit:
4/7 CO Power Costs

Eagle:
4/9 CO Power Bar

CO Power:
+10/10 Other units
+10/310 to Aircraft

Sensei:
3/8 CO Power Bar
110/100 Soldiers
130/100 Copters
--/130 Transports

Bugfixes:
Fixed subs not staying dived at end of turn
Fixed bugs with Lightning Drive in 2.0 by no longer using that code
Fixed some bugs with Sonja's CO Power
Fixed bugs with saving and loading with Sonja and Fog of War

Okay, this will likely be the last patch ever (It's been over 2 years since the last one) but I thought I better bugfix if people are actually playing it again.

If you find any bugs I'll try to fix them but I don't promise anything. I suppose I'll get the top post up to date eventually too.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Sniffit II

Re: Advance Wars 2 - Balance Hack - Version 2.1

Postby Sniffit II » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:03 pm

kk, thanks Xen
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

ThunderWalker

Postby ThunderWalker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:30 am

So, you turned Eagle's COP into Waylon's one?! Interesting and the AI will use it better than Lightning Drive (using Lightning Drive in the beginning of his turn, and then attacking with weakened units... :shock: )

Grit... hmmm, should playtest him more. I don't think his SCOP deserves 7 stars if it stays the same, though.
Yeah, he's a freak to balance. 130/100 D2D should make him broken (OHKO'ing lots of stuff with artillery and even more with rockets), but 120/100 is underpowered >.< His good COP might help him overcoming that, but his SCOP... Ugh. He's annoying.

Max's right now. The only thing you have to do is not using Sami or Adder against him.

Sensei. He's allright, but still somewhat overpowered at land-air maps (no weakness, and a very good D2D, and two well-costed powers).

Sami is the capture queen of the game again! Well done.
Still not so sure about her Infantry (her Mechs are good), though, because they can't complete a two day capture after suffering an attack from everything but another infantry or mech > making the capture boost a lot less useful than it's used to be, and maybe not worth 90/100 directs, especially if the luck boosts doesn't show up (it will hurt against Sensei (B-copter dogfight, still ending 5/5), but also with every 55% battle against Max or Flak you'll might don't like the outcome if your luck is perfectly zero.
She's also a pain to balance; she's either overpowered or underpowered. Depending on map size, amount of mountains/rivers, access to air units or not, and most important: FoW ! If there's no FoW, she's underpowered. I don't know how many matches are played with FoW though.

Subs are the subs again :) I'm glad you fixed that.

And yes, I play mainly with this hack activated. Never say people aren't playing it :P

Edit:
17-7-2009, 10:14 (GMT+1):

Tested Flak. And guess what: He has the best Mech Floods ever seen - he's overpowered, having the best potential of all CO's, and being considerable more powerful than Nell despite the same average. Barbaric Blow is DEVESTATING ! Also, he floods Mechs better than Sami, despite her powers; Flak's powers support a Mech Flood just as well, if not better. And as icing on the cake, not only infantry and mechs, but all units, are affected by his luck. Indirects FTW?
D2D he's fairly balanced (though Flak has a better potential than Nell, because the negative luck isn't that noticable with mechs), but Brute Force and Barbaric Blow are devastating.

Edit:
03-8-2009, 17:55, GMT +!

I've played this hack another thirty times, testing the CO's, but also to increase my skills.
The point is, the worst CO is turned into the best *points to Flak, who beats Sami, Eagle (B-Copter & Fighter dogfights only), Drake and Max in their specialty area.
Max, Jess, Flak and Sensei have better capture phases than Sami after playtesting them.
I've tried it, and Sami's inability to smash chokes is hurting enough to make her underpowered. And if she isn't underpowered, she is still outclassed by Kanbei and Flak.
Jess vs Sami on Beaker River: 17 days, rout, but HQ capture could be finished too.
Sami vs Jess on the same map: 28 days (HQ Capture).
Against Sensei the difference should be even bigger.
I was both times OS - in FoW.

@Xen:
You said yourself you hate AW2 FoW. Sami is more relying on it than AW2 Sonja. Why: Victory March is all about nabbing unguarded properties by suprise. You can't make suprises if your opponent sees what you're doing... Result > blow your opponent apart with a double Double Time or a VM, depending on opponents units ((Md.) Tanks > VM, otherwise DT).
Properties can be guarded easily with a mech, with the result that Sami needs three mechs to get that propertie. One of the mechs will lose 1 HP whenever your offense is bigger than 100 (Sami, Kanbei, Sensei and Hawke D2D and everyone when using a power. The turn after? You get blown to bits, especially if your opponent is Max, Kanbei, Jess or Flak. Eagle can do it too, and Mass Damage powers WILL hurt Sami - even more after a VM with many mechs.

You'll might not want to fix it (and I accept that), but I can't hack AW like I modify Yuri's Revenge to make a cleanup of the few things there are left to be fixed... Heck, it should be possible (and not all that difficult either - if I can find the country flags to change into the CO's (AWDS Face sprites)) to turn YR into a non-turnbased AW :shock: . A lot of stuff is still beyond my reach, but I do know that is actually possible :P .

Maybe make a good AI first, if you can do that, the game should be harder > more fun > played more often. The AI must be capable of deciding to flood infantry/artillery as hell or just simply to play normally or use an other built pattern you add in :wink: .
My sig is a void.

Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:01 am

- Units cost reduces by 2% per day, price stops reducing on Day 10
- All units have 90% Offence

I would just like to say this is genuinely fudge impressive, the fact that you managed to force and mold that assembly code to your will to do something I didn't really think would be possible to do easily. Congratulations on the technical knowledge.

As for balance. :lol:.

We don't care about that. :)

donnytondesterkste

Balance Hack Grit

Postby donnytondesterkste » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:35 am

I've brought this up before, but Grit in Balance Hack AW2 is practically useless due to his removed range and useless SCOP. I've proposed an edit, tell me what you think and whether you'd bother with the time to edit it into the hack (I suppose you're busy with Project):

D2D: Indirects are 120% offense/100% defense, directs are 90% offense/100% defense.

COP: 3 stars: Snipe Attack: Indirects gain +1 range, +30% offense (150%). All other unit stats gain 10%.

SCOP: 6 stars: Super Snipe: Indirects gain +2 range, +30% offense (150%), +50% defense (150%). All other unit stats gain 10%.

Alternatively:

SCOP: 7 stars: Super Snipe: Indirects gain +1 range, +30% offense (150%), +50% defense (150%). Indirects that acted may act again. All other unit stats gain 10%.
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

DieselPheonix

Re: Balance Hack Grit

Postby DieselPheonix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:34 am

The stats for Balance Grit are?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:39 am

I can't even remember anymore.

But if I recall correctly:

D2D: 120/100 Indirects, 90/100 Directs
COP: 150/150 +2R Indirects, +10/10 otherwise
SCOP: 50/150 +2R Indirects with 4x fire actions, +10/10 otherwise.

Also I merged the posts in here BECAUSE I COULD.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

donnytondesterkste

Postby donnytondesterkste » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:09 am

Also it's a 4/7 bar and on SCOP his indirects can't move.

So I figured Grit should get his COP more often to really assert his indirect dominance, without it being superpowered like it is. And the SCOP's really rather useless considering balance artillery only have 4 ammo anyways, so to get any good out of it you've basically got to be sitting on a pile of cities or APCs.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Looking rather Smitan there, Balance Grit.

What point does increasing indirects' defense serve? For that matter, what match-ups do the suggested attack levels alter? Are there any notable one hit knockouts which were previously two hits, two hits which were three hits?

My own unwarranted suggestion is much more boring:
3/6
120/100 indirects, 100/100
130/110 indirects +1 range, 110/110
190/110 indirects +1 range, 110/110

Xen

Postby Xen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:44 pm

It was supposed to be a bit of insurance due to the damage formula change of an AW2 style to a DoR style damage formula. It prevented the firepower COs slicing through Grit on his COP turns more than anything else - you'd need a +10-20% boost to break through his indirect line that turn, compared to needing something like a DS Max SCOP on AW2 Grit. Especially when you've got someone with scary numbers like say, Max who can now perform OHKs on cities with powers when before he'd be hard pressed to get anything off them.

ThunderWalker

Postby ThunderWalker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Well, I should indeed increase the defense... but Grit wouldn't even be overpowered even with higher defense on top of the firepower suggested by DieselPhoenix.
130/160 +1 range during COP and 190/160 +1 range during SCOP.

Sonja has bugs in her COP and several CO's are fairly overpowered (lol Sensei/Andy), while Sami is either overpowered/underpowered somewhat depending on your opponent and how early VM is charged... however, any CO with a serious firepower boost on his/her COP can decide the game before her SCOP is charged... Sami cannot stand a chance on D2D alone.
My sig is a void.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Ah, right. I keep forgetting about the updated damage formula.

Hmm, now I can't help but see Mayonnaise.

donnytondesterkste

Postby donnytondesterkste » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:04 am

DieselPheonix wrote:Looking rather Smitan there, Balance Grit.

What point does increasing indirects' defense serve? For that matter, what match-ups do the suggested attack levels alter? Are there any notable one hit knockouts which were previously two hits, two hits which were three hits?

My own unwarranted suggestion is much more boring:
3/6
120/100 indirects, 100/100
130/110 indirects +1 range, 110/110
190/110 indirects +1 range, 110/110

Grit doesn't rely on OHKOs nearly as much as other COs. His main attraction is hiding with indirects and outranging other COs. Yours would probably work well too, but might take some of the personality out of Grit.

Xen

Postby Xen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 pm

When I eventually get around to BH3.0 a lot of changes will probably make it in anyhow. I got inspired with an idea a while ago that I actually want to bring to fruition.

I've got a cunning master plan. :D

ThunderWalker

Postby ThunderWalker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 pm

/is curious.
My sig is a void.

oneday13

Postby oneday13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi, I'm just a passenger walking by, and happened to stumble upon this great hack for advance wars 2.
And Thank you Xenesis!!
I just have a concern even though I know that you're currently working on the next version..
I'm really not a good player but I am playing a game w/ my friend right now as Sonja vs Drake.
And I must say, Drake is just kicking my @$$ with his scary @$$ COP and SCOP !!
I mean...2 HP knock down, with rain cutting on my movement, AND THE HALF FUEL??
I realize he had this CO powers before, but his xxxXXX reduced meter is much MUCH more overpowered.
He gets to his full meter at around the same time as my Sonja, and as much as I love playing her, her COP and SCOP are just not doing the job.
When her meter becomes full, I tend to just use my Enhanced Vision, as I feel is more suited to my mass artillery and rocket style, but they quickly become
useless with the typoon harrassment.
I realize this isn't the place for asking for advices so I just want to say, Can you either increase the meter bar for Drake back to xxxxXXX or give the vision increase for Counter Break also?
Once again, Thank you

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Well, one of the things I wanted to do with Sonja was to make her powers different. As it stood in the base game, one was basically just an upgrade from the other.

The new release will probably be a long time coming, so don't hold your breath - but if you want to change it for your own use you can use the Nightmare2 modules to re-adjust Drake's star costs.

And as far as Drake goes: I hate mass damage. I loathe it. But Drake was never brilliant and I didn't want to change him so much. You've still got the rest of the game where he does mostly nothing ;)

oneday13

Postby oneday13 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Xenesis wrote:Well, one of the things I wanted to do with Sonja was to make her powers different. As it stood in the base game, one was basically just an upgrade from the other.

The new release will probably be a long time coming, so don't hold your breath - but if you want to change it for your own use you can use the Nightmare2 modules to re-adjust Drake's star costs.

And as far as Drake goes: I hate mass damage. I loathe it. But Drake was never brilliant and I didn't want to change him so much. You've still got the rest of the game where he does mostly nothing ;)

Aren't most of the SCOP the upgrade version of COP anyway? Anways.
I don't know...I've past day 100 right now and I must say...the very mention of the name Drake makes me piss my pants.. :cry:

I really don't think Drake w/o his COP or SCOP is that bland after all. His strong navy almost ensures that I can't even touch the waters. And his 7% RAIN !!! This is the real killer...I don't what the percentage before the patch was but I really think this change has made Drake more of a RAIN CO than the NAVY CO.

Also, pointing back to his mass damage again. His 2 HP knockdown is costing me FORTUNE! I'm starting to think there should be some consequences for the mass damage, such as half CO power boosts for the other player affected by it...but it could screw up the game balance so nvm...but you see my point.

And Sonja...I don't know...is it just me who thinks that Sonja needs to be a little stronger? At least 130% counterattack D2D might give her a little more eumph!

Sorry if I'm trying to bring back the dead forum.
I thought you were still working on the next patch for the balance hack.

PS. btw XEN, I have no way to get this java program to install for me so I can't make the nightmare module work. Is there a way for you to just adjust the CO level for Drake and send it to me?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:52 pm

A lot of them are just upgrades, yes. But I tried to change it around a bit where I thought I could get away with it to work them in as separate tools - give them different uses for different situations.

Drake's navy isn't especially strong - Other COs have similar navies and have better land/air games which is often a pain. The mass damage powers are irritating and they're good like that.

And drake always had a +7% chance of rain (Base chance is 6% - #players, so a 2p game with one Drake has a 11% chance of rain each turn)

And I will work on it - I just have been kept busy with stuff. I don't mind people post here even if it's been months. I appreciate all the feedback even if it takes years haha.

(There is, but I'm not going to do it as I've got other things on)

GreenEarth

Postby GreenEarth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:29 am

Does Eagle still get another turn during Lightning Drive, even with his improved defense on air units?

I haven't gotten that far into the campaign yet.

Xen

Postby Xen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Nope, it is pretty much like Waylon's CO Power from Days of Ruin.

Green Earth

Postby Green Earth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 am

Is there a way to get the 2nd turn option back? Like when he gets a second turn for reduced attack and defense? I like that one a little better, and since I'm a complete noob when it comes to editing stuff like that, is there a short tutorial I can find somewhere?

I don't really want to make you go through all the work in explaining to me, but if you don't mind then that would be great.

Green Earth

Postby Green Earth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:41 am

Hate to double post, but it won't let me sign in for some reason.

Maybe I don't say positivite things enough, so I'll do that now.

Xen, all your work you've done on the balance hack is incredible. I didn't even know it was possible to make the cost of units get reduced every day, or have only indirect units fire 4 times in one turn; it's really impressive, and thank you for that, because now you've brought this wonderful, modded, BALANCED, version of Advance Wars 2 to everyone (or at least anybody who knows how to apply an IPS patch to an AW2 rom). It's great, really, and I must say thank you for giving me an overall more enjoyable experience in the game.

I kind of feel like it's hard to give Eagle an interesting COP without making it something that effects only his air units, or giving him the same 2 powers twice, but having one give weakened units. What you have now does work though, since I'm guessing one doesn't normally use Eagle on a map without air units (...right?).

If I may throw in my 2 cents, I would say that it was more interesting before, but since his 4 or 5 star COP (can't remember which) was easier to get than a 9 star SCOP, I used his COP whenever I had the chance, since you can still do SOME work with 70% offence, like say finishing off whatever battles you started before you used the COP.

tl;dr, excellent work Xen, and thank you for taking the time to make this, though I do prefer Eagle with his 2 turn COP for reduced stats.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:02 pm

If you want it back, just grab the previous version of the patch and apply it to a fresh AW2 Rom. Version 2.0 should still be up on the fileserver. That being said any changes between 2.0 and 2.1 won't exist anymore either :P

http://www.warsworldnews.com/xenesis/balancehack2.ips I believe is the right file.

PKNintendo

Postby PKNintendo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 am

Awesome hack Xenesis & Radio, I especially appreciate the balancing of Sturm.

Have you considered giving Andy 105/105 units D2D? Of course his COP buff (30% Atk boost) would need to removed but I think its fair. In game based on D2Ds, I find that Andy would be a lot better if actually "had one."

Surely a 105/105 D2D would further cement he can "fight anywhere." Intelligent systems placed too much emphasis on his COP / SCOP imo.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 pm

I'd prefer to just leave the blandies bland and give them kick-arse powers.

That's pretty much the original intent behind the bland COs anyhow. Adder, Andy, etc are supposed to have great powers for their lack of daily skill. It was something I considered at some point, but it felt more unnecessary...I've been trying to design around the current constraints for the most part.

Glad you're enjoying it though (Although FYI, even though RS has found a lot of the data and stuff over the years, this hack is all my coding handiwork. ;) )

PKNintendo

Postby PKNintendo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 am

Back again Xen (really awesome hack btw, Campaign has never been more fun)

I noticed a slight bug: Aerial units gain defensive boosts from terrain. I'm not so sure thats part of the hack either.

PS: Slightly pointless, but I was using Max the other day and when I used his SCOP there wasn't any change for any of his direct units under the CO stats page. Is that supposed to happen?

deemo

Postby deemo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:43 am

i could have sworn that the aerial defense boost was intentional
wasn't it done so that lash would affect her air units
or also to make air more balanced

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:51 am

Well, that shouldn't be happening.

Aerial units I think still get terrain stars in the animations (like you'll see a 4* over a mountain in battle animations), but they shouldn't be getting any defensive boosts from them. If they are that is indeed a bug.

The lash rejigger made her get firepower based on the terrain stars even for air units.

And yeah, some COs on the CO Dossier page won't show their info - I didn't know where the assembly code for that was at that point in time. Unless it was an exact value for what was already in the game, it'll just display the 100% bar. It's something I could fix nowadays, though :)

PKNintendo

Postby PKNintendo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Yeah upon actual testing the stars didn't affect the air units. MY BAD :P

Could you really fix the CO Dossier? Yeah I guess its worthless, but it would nice to see boosts on Adder's or Max's page during his SCOP. I don't know why I feel this way (I guess I'm obsessive compulsive)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:19 am

Fixing it for the COs that have static boosts but of oddball amounts should be a easy.

Getting it to calculate the dynamic boosts COs like Colin/Adder have would be more work, but doable.

ThunderWalker

Postby ThunderWalker » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 am

*waits quietly* :ph43r:
My sig is a void.

PKNintendo

Postby PKNintendo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Has a tier list been established for this game yet? I'm not going to form one, but I reckon CO's like Sturm, Kanbei and Colin are definitely top.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Not especially.

Although judging by the amount of complaints it seems people hate the mass damage COs, sensei and Flak.

ThunderWalker

Postby ThunderWalker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:56 am

Maps with three factories, and one airport for each player:

TW's Preliminary Tier list:
Top: Flak, Kanbei
High: Drake, Sensei
Middle-High: Andy, Hawke, Sturm, Adder
Middle: Jess, Eagle, Nell, Max, Olaf, Lash
*large gap*
Low: Sami, Sonja, Grit

Playtesting vs humans still has to be done though...

Anyway, Xen, when are you going to finish this? You said something about that half a year ago!
by Xen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:05 am

When I eventually get around to BH3.0 a lot of changes will probably make it in anyhow. I got inspired with an idea a while ago that I actually want to bring to fruition.

I've got a cunning master plan. :D

I'll take look once in a few weeks - sometimes even months - to wait if something happened, but still ... :(
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:38 am

Yeah, those changes are slow going and difficult.

I have something nuts planned, but I'm still tweaking it and getting it to work, even.

ThunderWalker

Postby ThunderWalker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Meh... I'm bored atm.
When is this finished Xen?
My sig is a void.

Mark999

Postby Mark999 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:36 am

Wait until he finishes the War Room hack >_>

Though I'm wondering when THAT will come out, too...

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am

As soon as I can.

There's a lot more work than I expected for the WRH2.

Finished coding Von Bolt's SCOP last week. Started working on Caulder this week.

Xen

Postby Xen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 am

I suppose I should give the full summary of the hack progress for WRH2, anyhow:

Maps: 99% Just maps that need fixing/balancing/settings tweaks...hopefully
Unit Scripts: 50% General unit scripts are complete, need to put together the CO Specific parts so certain COs aren't worthless on each map.
CO Coding:
Von Bolt: 100% - Ex Machina needs a graphic, but the code is all working.
Caulder: 20% - GUI elements for the CO Zone/CO Units have been coded (ick), the system for applying a CO unit and all of its effects forthcoming.
Sonja: 0% - Need to code the Fog of War induction code.
Kindle: 0% - Terrain boost code is in planning, Mass damage will need slight tweaks, but it can be recycled from any of the other mass damage COs. High Society's property global boost code is a fifteen minute job.
Other COs: 100%
AI Tweaks: 80% - The range they'll use their powers is changed a bit, but I want to change some COs' trigger conditions.
Graphics: 75% - Need to add a few graphics and the like for things and remove other graphics. CO Graphics are finalised beyond fixes, as are misc other things. Hopefully I can make a swanky title screen too.
Terrain: 90% - Need to add some code for a few things and make a change to the move charts. But almost done.
Misc Other Stuff: ??% - Just random bits and bobs like changing scoring ranges, what is unlocked when and the like.

Return to “Syogun Change”