Advance Wars 2 - Balance Hack - Version 2.1

Discussion of hacking, editing and developments in Advance Wars games.
Remember, no Rom Requests
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:55 am

Terragent has put forward an interesting proposal for beta 4.

How would you feel if Missiles got their maximum range upgraded 1 space?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

TheChronoMaster

Post by TheChronoMaster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:03 am

I would prefer ability to move and shoot, but that breaks Grit, and game mechanics.

So yeah, that'd be fun.
Credit to Deoxy.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:12 am

The other idea would be to reduce their minimum range to 2, so their blindspot is smaller...
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

GaroNinja

Post by GaroNinja » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:25 am

Actually, I think it might be better to up their move by a point instead... 4 wheeled speed is arguably the worst in the game, only threatened by 2 mech... If rockets can move 5 spaces, why not missiles?

Theres Advance Wars hentai? Who the Hell would draw that? There are far better things to draw Hentai of. - Marsillo
Like me. - Blame Game

I was going to post a "Why'd you buy when you could rent?" but then I remembered Austrailia is a gimped continent where people build careers on raping crocodiles and there's no places to rent stuff. - Marsillo

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:38 am

I agree with Garo....

I mean, you *DO* want missiles to actually get to where they need to be, right?

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 pm

Hm... Upping Missiles to 6 Range gives Grit's Missiles a range of 7. This makes it practically impossible for a single Battle Copter to attack Missiles, bar movement-increasing S/COP's. This might not be a relevant point, but I feel that kinda makes Grit stronger when fighting against air units, though I'm not a good person to ask if that's too strong.

Yeah, I'd say either increase the movement, or maybe... Decrease the price? Or would that just make everything I said about Grit apply to Colin?
CumulusCentral : It's dot-com!
"He's gonna win..." The Ever-Loving Linkman, talking about my Character Battle Predictions.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:34 pm

Movement is a bad idea. Only having movement 4 is part of missiles' character. On reflection, extra missile range would break Grit. Minimum range, I think, would be the better way to go about it, as blind-spot exploitation is really a bigger (and non-Grit-abusable) weakness than range.

TheChronoMaster

Post by TheChronoMaster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:12 pm

It has the same basic effect though: B-Copters can't attack missiles.
Credit to Deoxy.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:47 am

The problem with missiles isn't so much things hanging at the maximum range and then closing, it's things exploiting the blind spot. Missiles are usually shielded by tanks etc, anyway, so it's generally an issue of the missile being useless rather than the missile getting killed.

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:56 am

I don't feel like Missiles need much change. Without the blind spot, Grit's range becomes very unbearable. Missiles are somewhat cheap...

I personally would decrease A-air efficiency vs. plane units.
Something like 105/105/55/65 (T and B copter then vs. fighter then bombers)

Well, i'd remanipulate a lot, eh...
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:17 am

No. Anti-airs need to win against bombers if they get the first strike; as it is, you'd only need a fairly minor stat boost for the bombers to win regardless. Remember, the bombers do have 95% against AAs.

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:34 am

?

Err, an 8000 G unit needs to win against a 22000 G unit if it gets first strike?

??-?-???

I only decreased the normal base damage of 75% to 65% and I'd be tempted to decrease it to 55%...

A bomber with less than 5 HP loses much of its firepower anyhow... But I would like to see air battles which don't involve instant OHKO of the enemy units or crippling beyond any use of costly units. Even with a 55% base damage, that thing would be more effective against air units than a mech against a tank...

However, I did plan to make the A-Air a better vehicle... As in it can actually take tanks without suffering too much...

<_<
>_>
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

GaroNinja

Post by GaroNinja » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:27 am

Kireato wrote:?

Err, an 8000 G unit needs to win against a 22000 G unit if it gets first strike?

??-?-???

I only decreased the normal base damage of 75% to 65% and I'd be tempted to decrease it to 55%...

A bomber with less than 5 HP loses much of its firepower anyhow... But I would like to see air battles which don't involve instant OHKO of the enemy units or crippling beyond any use of costly units. Even with a 55% base damage, that thing would be more effective against air units than a mech against a tank...

However, I did plan to make the A-Air a better vehicle... As in it can actually take tanks without suffering too much...

<_<
>_>
Yeah, but it's an anti-air. As in, it should actually kill air units when it shoots them. Because the missile units sure as hell aren't doing that job <_<. Without good Anti-Airs, Drake will have one hell of a time stopping an enemy airforce...

Theres Advance Wars hentai? Who the Hell would draw that? There are far better things to draw Hentai of. - Marsillo
Like me. - Blame Game

I was going to post a "Why'd you buy when you could rent?" but then I remembered Austrailia is a gimped continent where people build careers on raping crocodiles and there's no places to rent stuff. - Marsillo

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:54 pm

Great work! Though you might want to edit Hawke a little bit. Make his powers better. You know, give him an increased offence during his powers. Or lower the bar itself. Actually, why does it show all of Maxs units at 100/100? I thought it's 125 for directs? Or does it just not show those stats. Also, why not just make his stats the same as the AW:DS ones? Or the AW1 ones. Give Max Force an attack boost from 150% to 160%, & Max Blast 150% to 170 with +1 Movement boost. Or something similar to that. Make people use him, like they did in AW1. Then again, that's too overpowered.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

legoman727

Post by legoman727 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:08 pm

It doesn't show it, but remember, most DS COs would rape AW2 COs, due to the new balance.
Avatar by Kosheh and OoW. Sig by Sasquatch.

Pichu: So, I was like "DIE YOU EVIL ZOMBIE"
Terragent: Please Pichu, stop telling me about your lovelife and just let me work.
Pichu: Hey! I was talking about video games!
Terragent: The way you love those things, my statement still holds true. - PKdragon

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:00 pm

Good Point.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

legoman727

Post by legoman727 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:46 pm

Oh, BTW, Hawke is considered a balanced CO.
Avatar by Kosheh and OoW. Sig by Sasquatch.

Pichu: So, I was like "DIE YOU EVIL ZOMBIE"
Terragent: Please Pichu, stop telling me about your lovelife and just let me work.
Pichu: Hey! I was talking about video games!
Terragent: The way you love those things, my statement still holds true. - PKdragon

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:28 am

Yeah...

So....Let's start ranting about cruisers need updates.

Actually, why did Xen change Sidewinder to Snakebite?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:13 pm

I've fixed up the Olaf blooper in Beta 3.0

:P

Edit:

Shift Breaker: 125% boosts don't show on the stats screen, because the game doesn't have a graphic for an 125% boost.

As for not giving Max his DS stats, that's because DS COs have a bigger strength for a smaller weakness.

And for the Sidewinder/Snakebite change, well, with the attack boost on SCOP now, I thought the European name was more apt. ;)

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:48 pm

Ah, yes....Also, what's with the random name changes for some levels? Andy's Island I can understand, but DEER omg & Others make no sense. I can understand Tactical dummy instead of samurai spirit though.

Ya, so I'm at YC/BM now...

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Wait, what?

I never touched those...

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:01 pm

http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... and6bh.png

http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=broken8vk.png

http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=superxd1em.png

http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... mmy3nr.png

Who else was involved? That's not all of it though.

NOTE: For some reason, those images won't show up when I go to preview, so I've had to leave them as linksfor you to click on.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:27 pm

I do the balance hack entirely by myself.

Someone's been fiddling with the files in my WWN directory. <_<

*Glares at Wuffy*

Either that, or you applied another patch to your ROM as Well.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:25 am

LOL, you're using my Megatank Patch. I put random changes in the ROM.

XD You just made my day. Now I can't stop LOLling my ass off.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:35 am

Ehehe. I've been foiled again!

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:37 am

OMG He's playing the balance hack v3.1 with MEGATANKS! 1337!!!!
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:39 am

Oh no! COLIN WITH MEGATANKS! AAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHHHHHHA!

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:47 am

XD! Nice one x0. Well done. I like a good joke.

Also, I'm using 3.0

Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:58 am

Xenesis wrote:*Glares at Wuffy*
You know, next time around, instead of just blatantly falsely accusing me like that, you could have just checked the FTP logs...
CumulusCentral : It's dot-com!
"He's gonna win..." The Ever-Loving Linkman, talking about my Character Battle Predictions.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:12 am

I actually find Blatant accusations more fun!

But I'm not Xen.

*Puts Xen mask on*

I find blatant accusations more fun!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:25 am

Oracle of Wuffing wrote:
Xenesis wrote:*Glares at Wuffy*
You know, next time around, instead of just blatantly falsely accusing me like that, you could have just checked the FTP logs...
:P

Nah, my fault for not being all sorts after an entire weekend of no sleep.

Xen's Thought Process: Weird Stuff in Hack! Hosted on WWN? Wuffy can hack! Yarr!

*apologises*

Mr Dev

Post by Mr Dev » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:17 pm

Xen should be slaped with extreme prejudice!

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:33 am

Well, no one else has....*Puts on giant glove & Slaps Xen*

Anyway, Let's get back to ze topic at hand.

First of all, have you guys worked out the mechanics for Lightning Strike yet? I'd love to see a True Lightning Drive in this game. Also, maybe you guys could work on an AW2 w/ AW:DS Stats for each of the COs, or at least most of them. Hyper Upgrade could easilt get the +10% power boost, you could...well, you've done most of them for the Balance hack, I suppose.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:24 am

You should remove at least two of Hawke's COP stars.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:14 am

Shift Breaker wrote:Also, maybe you guys could work on an AW2 w/ AW:DS Stats for each of the COs, or at least most of them. Hyper Upgrade could easilt get the +10% power boost, you could...well, you've done most of them for the Balance hack, I suppose.
Xen already made a AW:DS Hack... I have it on my comp :o . Sonjawas changed into Grimm since we don't know how to mess with terrain stars yet.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:15 am

Really? I didn't know that...Have you got The new LD in it?

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:20 am

No he just left it as is.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:24 am

Oh well, Close enough.....

Dammit, I want to play it. It'll keep me busy until I get AW:DS.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:40 am

Shift Breaker wrote:Oh well, Close enough.....

Dammit, I want to play it. It'll keep me busy until I get AW:DS.
GameStation are selling AWDS brand new for £19.99 if you trade in AW1, by the way.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:41 am

See, that's the thing.

1) AW1 is Seriously Rare, and I want to keep my beloved copy.
2) £5 off wouldn't be much anyway, and isn't worth AW1.
3) I don't have £20.