Time Survival High Scores & Strategy

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
ALAKTORN

Re: Time Survival High Scores & Strategy

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:52 am

long overdue!

M6 11", 8" improvement over SwifTy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltzfzzzwO4

I think this is the best looking TAS as of now, #2 is M4

in this month I have a lot of free time, so hopefully I'll finish the TAS

edit: I've tried M7 and think I Fidel's strat is slower, it wins 1 day earlier (47 frames gain) but in doing so moves 1 more Stealth, which is about 50 frames lost (Hide wastes a lot of frames!)

edit2: improved Fidel's M7 strat by 1 square movement <_< now it should be faster than SwifTy's, but meh / oh btw, it's simply moving to the E instead of S, allows for smaller Stealth movement

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 am

Great that you're back.
So Swifty's strat was in fact better than mine? But it was the only one where we had only 1 second of difference, so maybe for a human play it would be different. It'd be cool that you play it for real then. However if the difference is very low, you should just drop my strat as it costs too much skills and use Swifty's skills instead.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 am

here comes a new challenger! I'm working on my own M7 strategy, it's as fast as Fidel in days and it uses all 4 Stealths but none of them goes Hiding (since it wastes tons of frames) I'm still perfecting, as of now it doesn't look faster than SwifTy's or Fidel's, but I'm working on it

edit: on D1: 3 Stealths moving for a total of 9 squares, none hiding, TC moving 7S (D2 9E), I think this could turn out fast

without calculating Inf loading on TC:

SwifTy's: # of moves 6: 29 squares+1 hiding+3 wait+1 frame lost, D4 capture / I calculate: 239 frames
Fidel's: # of moves 7: 34 squares+2 hiding+2 wait+3 frames lost, D3 capture / I calculate: 247 frames
mine: # of moves 8: 39 squares+0 hiding+5 wait+3 frames lost, D3 capture / I calculate: 222 frames

this is kind of hard to understand... hiding is 30 frames from touch to reselect, waiting 3 frames, now I need to TAS 1 square movement then adding everything up should give the frames for each strategy... 6 squares: 28 frames from tapping move to tapping wait, 5 squares 24, each square should be 4 frames; 6 frames for selecting a move of another unit after a movement (3 select unit+3 select movement)

I think I'm just confusing myself with all these numbers, I'm doing it wrong

edit: added in calculations. surprising result or just fail at math? I'm not sure, I'll let the math experts (Fidel and STL) comment on it; remember that my calculations were approximative, for example I did 6*6 to SwifTy because he moved 6 times and selecting one unit is 3 frames from a previous action, 3 frames to move, but obviously the very first movement of the day won't have those 3 starting frames because there is no action previous to it, so it's not entirely correct

also keep in mind that SwifTy's 1 day more isn't just a waste of 47 frames (that's how I calculated it), those are the frames that it takes from DAY # to selecting a unit, so obviously selecting "end day" the previous day, and making DAY # go away make SwifTy waste even more time, which could come closer to 60 frames (1 second)

edit: really sad news... I have been testing the strategies starting D2 because my save started the map with Grimm, so I made arrangements to try the strategies on D2 thinking it wouldn't matter, but now I've tried on D1 and the Battle-Ship doesn't cooperate with my strategy on D1... it blocks the path for my TC ;_; it works if I move the APC for bait but that wastes 30 frames...

here's my strategy with the APC movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otuLZ2NgfFg without it the BS moves S on the same line as the TC, blocking it

maybe someone could improve it?

edit: I don't know why I didn't think of this before but now I'm trying to use 1 Stealth hidden (like SwifTy) but moving the TC like in my strategy, so I can win 1 day faster than SwifTy if I can open the way to HQ / found a way! I'm wasting a lot of movement though, but at least it's a 1 Stealth hiding 3D strat

mine #2: # of moves 5: 36 squares+1 hiding+2 wait+3 frames lost, D3 capture / I calculate: 213 frames, even faster! / nevermind, it doesn't work... again that stupid BS! it's in HQ range ;_; / moving the leftover Stealth 1N makes it work, while that slows it down by about 20 frames, it's still the fastest strategy / oh my god 1N there is the APC that supplies =____=

new idea: D4 win with 1 Stealth not hidden / found a way with 1 Stealth not hidden+APC bait: # 5: 30+1hide+2wait+1frame = 234 fastest, and it actually works this time <-wait wth have I just said here.. not hidden and +1hide? I've been playing too much... / what I meant is: # 6: 30+3wait+2frames = 214, lolwut awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8i8H57Fc2k

holy wow, just found out that 1 more day costs 40~+47 frames, that is a lot! O_O (means 214+40 254 for my #3 strategy) no wonder Fidel was faster with his strategy! I wasn't considering those 40 frames, thanks to Samuraigoroh who provided the timer address so I could check this :)

SUMMARY: so, all in all, what do we have here? my 2 strategies, 1 for D3 win the other for D4 win, being really close to Fidel's in terms of speed, and another strat idea of mine (D3 win with 1 hidden Stealth) that would be half a second faster than Fidel's, but the BS ruins it being in HQ range; also we understood that SwifTy's strategy sucks

the final numbers:

mine #2: 213 frames, doesn't work, could be good with some adjustements
Fidel's: 247 frames
mine #1: 252 frames
mine #3: 254 frames
SwifTy's: 279 frames

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:57 pm

I'll let the math experts (Fidel and STL) comment on it
:lol: I'll let it to STL.

So what are your times with Swifty's and "mine" (or an improved one) strats?

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 pm

fcastro wrote:
I'll let the math experts (Fidel and STL) comment on it
So what are your times with Swifty's and "mine" (or an improved one) strats?
I haven't played any of them for times, I was just testing for new strategies and mathing the frames, I'm probably gonna TAS mine #3 since I don't have the skills to win in 3 days on my current TAS, and SwifTy's strategy is certainly worse

STL

Post by STL » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Why exactly do you move the APC? Not to skip the supply right?

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:39 pm

STL wrote:Why exactly do you move the APC? Not to skip the supply right?
well, in which strategy...? the APC is usually moved to bait the BS, if I don't bait the BS it goes either in HQ range or blocks my TC for capture

STL

Post by STL » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:25 am

OK i didn´t read the wall of text =P Just the APC move seemed odd.
C ya on MSN in 1 hour or so.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:04 am

M7 19", 6" improvement over SwifTy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkuyxOSFHDQ

to be honest I wished for better since I've improved the strategy, around 16" was my goal, 17" would've been good, STL even guessed 14"

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 pm

I had a quick go at M9, and it doesn't look good... while Tanks suicide on my Mega Tank, all the other units seem to not want to for some reason, and the Neo ends up being useless

also I have no idea for how many days I'm supposed to stay on the Cities, but that wastes a lot of time, if possible I wouldn't even move on them... well I guess there'll be time to think of strategies in M9

obviously I've played M8 and while SwifTy's strategy has no enemy suicide, I still think it's pretty good and might be maxed, I should be able to TAS it in the next days

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 pm

TAS update: nothing will come sooner than the weekend probably

samurai goroh

Post by samurai goroh » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:53 am

Well, as long as you're working on it, I'm fine :)

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:49 pm

I tried TASing M8 today but the emulator keeps crashing whenever I try to load a save state while running the movie...

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:54 am

I heard ensata 1.4 is the best emu

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 pm

ALAKTORN wrote:I tried TASing M8 today but the emulator keeps crashing whenever I try to load a save state while running the movie...
I've fixed this problem

M8 11" (5" improvement over SwifTy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcCMwWsNA44 1'38 total time so far

very boring TAS due to all the Silos

I don't know if at the last day AI's Tanks can attack both MDs, I've tried several times but I've only gotten them to focus on a single MD, which is obviously slower because I have to move the other one to kill a Tank, I don't think it's possible otherwise though

M9 won't be possible until we figure out a strategy, and I don't think I'll be working on it…

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:43 am

I'm getting convinced SwifTy used a defense skill for his time… it's impossible to go through M9 damageless otherwise…

Fidel, help us find a strategy

edit: ok nevermind, for whatever reason the HQ gives less defense than a City on this map

edit2: Julian's & my strategy:

Day 1 Mech,Rockets 1W Mega,Neo 2W
Day 2 nothing
Day 3 Rockets kills Tank, Neo and Mega kill w/o moving
E day 3
1 Enemy Tank suicides w/o making damage
Art moves next to Mega then
Day 4
kill Art with Mech, destroy adjacent units with Mega and Neo, attack MD with Rockets
E day 4
MD gets countered to 4HP by Neo
3HP MD joins
Tank can suicide on Mega
Day 5
Rockets destroy 7HP MD, 8HP Neo 1E destroys Recon, Mega 1E destroys MD
from now on:
try to get things to suicide on you, MD is killed by letting it attack 8HP Neo then Rockets destroy it

continuing:
E day 5
Recon must suicide on Mega (it happens even with ammo)
Day 6
(theory) Mega 1E destroys AA, Rockets destroy MD
E day 6
4 Mechs+1 Recon suicide
#2 theory E day 5
AA attacks Neo
Day 6
Neo 2W Mega 1S kills AA, Rockets destroy MD, everything suicides

Julian just had the idea to use Grimm's COP / this seems to change the strategy a lot to me I'm not sure how to continue

I played this strategy on emulator with slowdown without save states and got 32" on D8, I think that's a good result, if it's possible to win in 6 days that would already mean 30" so 1 second faster than SwifTy, and I think I played slow enough to be comparable to speed on a DS /// nvm SwifTy had 29"

played on DS: 41" in 8 days, but I played horribly
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:24 am

and the vid is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIydgdgN64s (deleted)

M9 20", 9" gain over SwifTy

edit: I failed the encode, the vid is sped up :/

edit2: gained 14 frames with STL's idea of letting AI suicide on D7, will reupload

14 frames gain upload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBaipDNZyj4

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:34 am

M10 17" 3" improvement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3S6q4tpZQM

I think SwifTy used Conqueror, otherwise I'd have gained more time

edit: had a quick test on M11, 14", 2:29 final time, subbed precisely the 2:30 target time me and Julian had :D

TAS'd it properly: M11 13", 1" (only :() improvement over SwifTy, total time: 2:28, 32 frames away from 2:27

M11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbgIEIQFRi4

edit2: tried M1 standalone record, got 206 frames (3 seconds) with Nell+Rachel, 5 Mech attacks and suicide, it didn't get recorded for some reason… wanna try Jugger+Koal 4 attacks

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:51 pm

A capture on that map? I didn't think that was possible.
What can change the nature of a man?

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 pm

after completing the TAS I've been playing some Time Survival myself, have tied 3 standalone records (Open Road 11", Fog Hunter 10" and Red Heart 4"), I now hold 6/11 records, Starkiller has 7/11, I might try to pass him then I'll start a Basic Course run and challenge SwifTy's time

edit: actually I'm wrong, I have 5/11 as my Last Stand time doesn't beat SwifTy's

edit2: and now Julian improved the M3 record by 4" using Eagle
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:43 am

edit: premise: blinks appear when a power affects an unit, healing check counts too (healing powers with full HP units, even without enemies); this means that Hawke sucks and the below table isn't a very real representation

Visual A is slowest, Visual B is slower, C/D/No are fastest

numbers all tested with TAG and starting counting after the time stops while in the % of TAG power animation:

Hawke: 117 frames for 4 enemies
Hachi: 126 frames
Von Bolt: 191 frames
Olaf/Drake: 218 frames for 4 enemies, 233 for 7, 443 for 50, each enemy takes 5 frames more or less
Rachel: 356 frames

also tested that the blinking after powers wastes the same time for all COs, even for Andy when he's healing (tested Adder Koal Sami Andy Grit Grimm)

Eagle's COP from dialogue timer stop to selecting unit: 76 frames with 2 COP'd units
Eagle's COP from COP select to unit select with 1 COP'd unit: 76 frames

after SCOP ani to select: 27 0 blink 58 1 blink 63 2 blink, first blink is 31 and subsequents are 5

end day with music off: 47 from opening menu to select next day, 1 open 2 end 3-7 timer goes on
swapping is 40 frames
Supply information: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10962&start=200#p395735
building is 5: stylus+A, stylus, A, nothing, reselect

only the specific animations are:
150~ TAG
100~ SCOP
20~ COP

as a whole with 6 blinks:
240~ TAG
190~ SCOP
100~ COP

More in-depth (no perfect touches):
53 COP 0 blinks +25 1st blink +5 all after (subdivided in 6, 20, 27 = 53)
132 SCOP 0 blinks +31 1st blink +5 all after (subdivided in 6, 99, 27 = 132)
190 TAG 0 blinks +31 1st blink +5 all after (subdivided in 6, 152, 32 = 190)

edit: 20HP HQ cap 163 frames (Sami SCOP), saves 2 frames over 2D cap if only 1 blink happens, otherwise loses 5 frames with each subsequent blink (perfect touch calculations not included)

edit2: Edit: not sure exactly the total number of frames, but L+A should save 2 frames with adjacent move (edit: actually more complex than this, it depends on the amount of 0/1 frame moves), while touch away, touch unit should save 1 frame Edit: L+A doesn’t even work?
1 square move + wait 15 frames Edit: 12, actually. Tap+A, STL’s tap away, Tap+A technique.
2 squares move + wait 16 frames
3 squares move + wait 20 frames, 4 added for each more square
0 squares move + attack 17 frames
1 square move + attack 26 frames Edit: 23, actually
2 squares move + attack 27 frames
3 squares move + attack 31 frames, 4 added for each more square
adj sq sel is +3 (0sqa 20f)
^all those atks are without considering the wait to new select right after (+3 with explosion, +2 without; 51 for Pipe explosion)
so the best TiS M1 strat is 25+30+30+29+20 = 134f Edit: actually I think you lose 1 to adj so 135
dropping is +6 (compared to wait) in any direction
loading saves 1 frame if you tap APC right after Edit: what this means is, you can manipulate a perfect touch on the APC depending on how you move the Inf/Mech going inside it.

Edit: Note: The perfect touch is only usable when you’re going to make a movement, and it is not an adjacent one.
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:15 am, edited 50 times in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:04 am

Last Stand standalone strategy:

Grimm/Andy: Bruiser, Brawler, Luck, Partner Atk; Partner Atk x2, Luck, Brawler (City Attack for certain but insane D4 win)

D1 Mega 3E; AI suicides 2 Tanks, Mega 8HP
D2 Mega 3W N APC 2E; AI destroys APC with MD, other MD ignores Mega, 2 Tanks+1 Recon suicides on Mega, Mega 5HP
D3 APC 1N supply Mega, TAG, Neo 1E kill E, Mega go E kill N, Mech 2E kill, Rockets kill Arty; swap, Mega 1E kill, Neo kills, Mech 2E kills Arty, Rockets kill AA
AI attacks APC from E, Mech dies
D4 Neo 1N kill W (and Rockets attack Recon to 1HP for D4 win without City Attack)
AI suicides all units (might be impossible without City Attack)
D5 kill survivors

edit: AI D2 requires out of the world luck, I don't even know how I got it, doubt this is feesable for a human

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:53 am

Fog Hunter 9" (578 frames) 1" improvement over human record, I believe this is maxed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJc0hWO9HlQ

Julian's strategy

SCOP alone is 590 frames, TAG is 599

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:17 am

I think that's technically possible without the cheats, using the star power carryover glitch. Wouldn't help with total time, though, since you'd have to use your power a lot on the previous map.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:27 am

Dragon Fogel wrote:I think that's technically possible without the cheats, using the star power carryover glitch. Wouldn't help with total time, though, since you'd have to use your power a lot on the previous map.
Yeah i used it to get 10 secs on m11 on my DS :)

After getting 11 secs on Open Road i TAS´d it into 10 secs (632 frames) but only 27 frames room makes it humanly impossible to max out like m11.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Dragon Fogel wrote:I think that's technically possible without the cheats, using the star power carryover glitch.
sure, I also used it yesterday to get 10" in The Middleman, double Grit COP, it's the new untied record :) needs a great amount of luck, OHKOing 2 Neos with 75%

previous record was 11" by SwifTy Starkiller and STL, I also tied that without Neo OHKOs but wanted to keep going and got that final time

now me, STL and Starkiller are tied at 6 records in Time Survival, not sure where SwifTy would be

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:38 am

STL turned Time Survival around, making my TAS completely useless, new best Basic Course time is 3:00 by him with Sami/Eagle (and music off, yes it does save time afterall)

music off saves 32 frames for each DAY sign from D2+ on both our and AI's side, also makes the map finish 32 real time (doesn't affect game time) frames faster

will plan a new Basic Course TAS with Sami/Eagle, soon to come a new M11 standalone TAS

got M11 526 frames (8 seconds) as predicted, vid soon

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:54 am

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:50 am

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:14 am

OK here the skills and strats for the new Sami/Eagle TAS

Recommened TAS Skills:
Eagle: Luck, Dir Att+8, Woods=1, APC Boost
Sami: Partner Attack +13, Woods=1, Dir Def +12

start with Eagle
m1: same as Grimm/Koal just use less Mechs
m2: same as Grimm/Koal
m3: same as Grimm/Koal, use COP on Day 5
m4: D2 NE Mega, D3 SW Mega, D5 attack BS, D6 destroy BS, attack Carrier, D7 destroy Carrier, destroy Cruiser, D8 destroy Lander
m5: same as Grimm/Koal
m6: same as Grimm/Koal
m7: D2 Eagle COP, drop near HQ, swap, D3 Sami SCOP
m8: same as Grimm/Koal, swap to Eagle on D1
m9: play good
m10: build N APC, D2 Eagle COP, swap to Sami
m11: D3 Sami SCOP

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:15 am

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:24 am

by the way, I accidentally overwrote the save while TASing NC… Julian, you should have it, right?

STL

Post by STL » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:43 am

which save exactly?

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:51 am

STL wrote:which save exactly?
whatever you have, as long as it has everything unlocked

STL

Post by STL » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:00 am

Yeah i have it but it only works with an old version of desmume for me. I will give it you tomorrow.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:36 am

I'm just gonna leave this here

Julian found out that it's possible to get a glitched 0:00 saved for individual maps, I'm not gonna say how for obvious reasons

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:14 am

TAS´d m1 in 2 secs. (169 frames)

Edit m3 in 13 secs (825 frames)

TAS results so far:

Code: Select all

Map    TAS    Human(+)
   1      2       2
   2      6       3
   3     13       4
   4      6       3
   5      8       2
  11      8       2
I will do m3 17 secs later

I expect m7 and m10 to end in 10 secs in TAS, m8 will be 9 secs or maybe 8 secs since Michele got 11 secs in his Basic run TAS and no music saves 2 secs.
I already TAS´d m6 ending in 7 secs but wasted so much time luckabusing. w/o it it would have been 5 secs IIRC.
m9 will be very difficult to guess the best strat. Swifty got 25 secs with Nell/Rachel mostlikely with music which wasted 3-4 secs.
Last edited by -STL- on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:43 am

so SwifTy had 20" on Last Stand with Grimm/Rachel… wat

gonna make a quick TS M5 TAS because STL had the idea to use Sensei, he can drop on HQ which is faster

Sensei gets 9+2 frames, Sami with the new tricks 9+1 frame… 2D Cap with Sami is 5 frames slower

this is ridiculous, any CO can get 9 seconds XD (except Grimm)

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Sensei's M5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8_pJYDRa0

also showcases a new trick: cursor manipulation, it's possible to change the cursor's position after AI's turn by glitching it the way I do

samurai goroh

Post by samurai goroh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:44 am

Hey ALAKTORN, have you tried to equip the capture skills to see if there's any difference?

Also, how strict is the timer if you start the map with only 8 seconds. Would you loose on time? Or, would still give 9 seconds instead of 8?