JP/US Versions Differences

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
ALAKTORN

JP/US Versions Differences

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:09 am

if you have anything, post it here, I'll compile a list

Semi-important:
1. JP it's possible to skip the "Nintendo" logo at start up, also has less lag in general
2. JP COP/SCOP names being different, there might be big differences in time when using them (the longer the name the longer the animation)

In-between:
1. JP has a glitch allowing TAG skills to be used in WR 2.0 and VS

Marginal:
1. JP names in general are different, COs default uniforms also are
2. JP graphics are prettier (mostly the buttons)
3. JP "Do you want to save?" dialog defaults on Yes, this affects Combat and TiS

this is all thought towards TASing, that's why I make time differences a semi-important point
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: JP/US Versions Differences

Post by Xenesis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 am

Yeah, in the Jp version you can skip the Nintendo logo, which'd save some time on start up.

Also, there's an interesting bug with the Tag Skills (Eg, the Partner + X Atk/Def). If you play a game with a tag CO and have a partner with those skills powering you up, if you quit to menu and start a game with No CO in the second slot, the first CO still gets the tag skill bonuses from a non-existent tag partner.

This bug was fixed in the US version. I know it works campaign -> Vs, but I don't know if it works Campaign -> Campaign or Vs -> Campaign.

Another thing from a TASing perspective to consider - By default the "Do you want to save?" dialog defaults on Yes instead of no.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:41 am

Xenesis wrote:Yeah, in the Jp version you can skip the Nintendo logo, which'd save some time on start up.
I didn't even notice that was the reason! thanks for the information, I'll look into them and add them to the first post

that one about the glitch sounds big, could it be possible to abuse it in Solo War Room maps?

the saving No -> Yes difference doesn't affect Campaign, it does affect Combat and TiS though, but TiS is more game-time oriented then real-time so… not that big a problem

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:44 am

I'm not sure. I haven't tested it in the War room so I don't know if it'll work. My understanding is that it results from memory not being properly cleared between game modes.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:38 am

do you know anything about the RNG? from a test I've made US/JP seem to be the same

I still have to test that glitch

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:59 am

Holy crumpets. I just tested that glitch and it works in WR, what's more it's stupidly easy to do O_o

WR -> 2.0 Spann -> Javier no skills & Jake partner skills -> start map -> quit to main menu -> WR -> Spann 2.0 -> Javier alone no skills -> GG you have partner power ups O_o

behold the glitched skillless Javier... http://img262.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01f ... 22_8lo.JPG

you can even see the firepower change in the info before starting the map

at least it doesn't work in 2.5 and 1.5, where you can't use skills

it's even less complicated: WR -> 1.0 map X -> set TAG skills -> quit -> 2.0 map X -> play

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 pm

That's hilarious.

So basically, it works in any mode that allows for the use of skills in JP. And basically renders 2.0 WR easier in JP than US.

And yeah, it's a really easy glitch to do: I discovered it by accident.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:22 am

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:34 am

lolwut. That's hilarious.

I wonder how much you can smash up with that...
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:53 am

Lol, only that? This glitch is so useless... Please show us Risky Vale 2.0 with Rachel at least.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:39 am

fcastro wrote:Lol, only that? This glitch is so useless... Please show us Risky Vale 2.0 with Rachel at least.
I highly doubt I want to TAS another map for this, a demonstration only requires 1 video

I can try to get it and post a picture if glitched records are being kept track of though…