Campaign Run: Full Points, No Skills, One CO (HC complete!)

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Campaign Run: Full Points, No Skills, One CO (HC started

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:37 am

Normally, I just use Eagle/Sami and use a tag to take care of the minicannons and HQ capture easily.

Also, Grimm's powerful attacks made it easier to deal with the anti-airs when HQ capturing, and to finish off the north minicannon on the last day. Without that, I'd probably need a different strategy; probably one that involves blocking that north base.

Anyways, I was trying to do Mission 6 with Hawke, but I got tired of messing around after a few attempts (the only hard part is not losing more than two units) and just stomped over it with Kanbei instead. +20/+20 on a predeployed map, yeah, you can guess how that went. I don't think I lost any units, though I did have a couple reduced to very low HP.

Edit: Fog Rolls In is done, with Hawke. I pretty much just ran for the HQ and was able to clear and block the base with my starting copters and a couple of tanks, easily getting the capture.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:50 am

And Von Bolt easily clears Tag Battle, took 16 days but I was never in any serious trouble. Could have done better, but I got a 300, so whatever.

Victory or Death is annoying me a bit right now, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem overall. If I get frustrated, I'll just switch to a more effective CO and move on.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:44 am

Okay, Victory or Death is done with a team of Flak/Jake. The trick is not to send the fighters up until the air units on the main front are destroyed; they're useful not just for taking out the bombers and copters, but also to block off their attacks when Koal gets his Super. I baited the enemy fighter in with my initial B-copter, used air units and a tank to protect my anti-airs (only the tank was destroyed), and built a fighter on Day 3 (having captured all neutral properties in range starting on Day 1). I also hit one of the mechs with a bomber before it began capturing the base in the center of the map, that was helpful.

Once the air units are dealt with, the map is easy and the second front barely even matters. There's a nice square where the Black Crystal is in bomber range, but none of the enemy units can reach you; and the AI isn't smart enough to actively surround the Black Crystal. One-shot it with the help of a CO power if necessary. Sami, Drake, Jess and Grit have weak bombers, and will need a different strategy, most likely "win the second front and then get two bombers in range to attack."

Edit: And there goes Black Boats Ahoy. Used Jess, not a lot to say here. You can cripple her ground force pretty early on without taking too much damage in return, and the naval force can be wiped out before it becomes much of a threat (a sub took out the first battleship quickly, and I was able to get indirects in place for the second). Normal-or-better naval units would have made this easier, but it wasn't too tough even with that attack penalty. Send a mech, APC, and infantry to the HQ island to take out the artillery; load the mech into the APC and drop it off next to the artillery. Getting the lab map is no problem, it's not like you're going to need a free infantry that much.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:29 am

The Long March: Used Flak and Sasha here, but the tag was so weak by the time it came that I'm not sure if having it earlier would have made much difference. Anyways, it's easy to win as there's only a few easily-dispatched units between you and the lab; the only trick is getting the Power score. I could have won a day earlier if not for the fact that I needed four enemy units to be in range. As it was, I still won in 8 days.

Lightning Strikes: Normally, I use Hachi on the top front, get his Super, and build four anti-airs. However, since I'm relying on AI control for this run, and all I really need to do is not lose, I opted to go with Kanbei for his defense. Max is on the main front.

I send one anti-air up on Day 1 and keep the other to help deal with Grimm's copter and early infantry/mechs. Once I had the opportunity, I sent up the other predeployed and made a new one. On the main front, I went for the airport early to get a copter for help with the Mid Tank; once that was out of the way, it was just a gradual push to the middle island, then building a bunch of tanks and copters and advancing on Grimm's HQ (with a little help from the missile silos). Overall, not particularly hard, seeing as Max does massive damage to Grimm.

Frozen Fortress: Easy. Black can only capture one base right away. With Blue Moon's predeployed anti-air, you should be able to stop them from grabbing it. Then just take care of the two mechs, and they'll never get any reinforcements! After that, your only issue is outlasting their 12 units (easy enough) and destroying two in one turn (not very hard either, in the worst case you can save up for a couple of bombers with Blue Moon and chase down the Mid Tanks with them). And the lab map doesn't require a significant detour, either.

That's enough for now. Just two more missions before I have to face the dreaded Snow Hunters... I'll probably get to that today, and then be so afraid of it that I put the game down for a while. I honestly have no idea how I'm going to get full points on that one.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:10 am

Halfway point!

Lash's Test is quite a bit tougher than on NC, mostly because you practically have to use four out of your six Black Bombs right away; the battleship is too much of a pain to leave alone, and it's hard to get rid of if the cruiser's still there. Still, holding a defensive line until you can get those two available bombs out isn't too bad, and you can hopefully cut down on the threat of the big tanks once they arrived. I used Von Bolt, and his Super made things easier when it came, paralyzing two rockets that would have otherwise given me trouble. 0f course, for a really easy time, Hachi is the best choice.

Edit: Verdant Hills is simple enough. You just need to destroy three units in one turn with Blue Moon, wait for GE to advance everything, and take their completely abandoned HQ. I opted for Sonja and Grit; Sonja's terrain star reduction makes it very easy for Grit to get three kills on the first turn. After that, you just need to not lose too many units; go for GE's artillery if you get the chance, as they might hit you at a bad time. I came closer on Technique than I would have liked to; that's what I get for taking potshots and triggering the tag, I suppose. Still, 300 is 300.

And now here I am, at Snow Hunters. This one's going to be brutal to figure out. I'll be trying it with Grimm first, but if I get frustrated with that, I'll probably switch to Eagle. We'll see how it turns out... but probably not any time soon, considering how long I put off Neverending War, and this one will be even worse.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:50 am

Okay, I haven't cleared Snow Hunters yet. But I think I have an idea of how to handle it.

I can hit the furthest pipelines with rockets. If I do that, I won't have to expose my army to the bulk of Hawke's forces, and can just blow open the pipelines by the bases on the last day.

The catch - if I do that, I can't capture the bases. Which means I can take at most five losses while dealing with Hawke's air units, his three Mid Tanks on the west, the two piperunners, and the naval units. On the other hand, I can use the missile silo to help me with those units rather than wounding Hawke's eastern forces.

Okay, quick test - using Grimm, I was able to take out the navy and air forces with his Super, while keeping my battleship on the east side to keep the piperunners away. I need to play around more with the battleship because one piperunner was covering the island. Also, this cost me five units, so I don't have room for error later on.

I had my rockets focus on taking out the furthest pipelines ASAP, but I was able to take care of them so early that it might be better to move them west to help deal with the Mid Tanks and artillery, then back east to take care of the pipelines.

Okay, hmm. That last run went really well, I isolated the pipelines when I used my Super. Though I wasn't able to take out the sub that day... and eventually Hawke's main forces reach my group. Taking care of the navy without the battleship more or less requires using the silo, though, so I can't use that for an easy strike.

Okay, next plan - use the rockets to hit Hawke's tanks on the north side before they get a chance to be a threat. I have about ten days after taking care of the navy, I can probably work out some way to get a rocket in position for the northeast pipeline (I can take care of the others with the battleship) and maybe even take the north base. East base isn't happening any time soon with that Megatank, though.

It's going to be a while before I try again, but the map's looking plausible, at least.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:45 am

Dang, almost had it. Got all the pipe seams and had a few days to spare, but fell short on Technique. Big problem was that I wasn't able to take out the sub due to the cruisers moving in a way I hadn't seen on other tries. Also, I have to take a base in order to rebuild for Technique unless I can keep my losses to 4; in future tries, I'll probably try to get the port late in the map.

Basic strategy is to use both rockets to cover the north side, this severely slows down Hawke's advance around the map. Only a Tank and Mid Tank made it all the way by the time I cleared it, and I scored a hit on the Mid Tank along the way. I actually could have destroyed it with my first Super use instead of hitting a seam, and I'll probably do that next time because I've got lots of spare turns with the rockets.

If I can take out the navy without the battleship or silo, that will make things a lot easier. The battleship is great at keeping the piperunners away until I can isolate them, and if I can spare the silo, I can make an early hit on the Mid Tanks and artillery. Still, that's not essential, so I'll probably focus on using the silo there. Taking out the sub is important because otherwise, it's very hard to keep your naval units alive through the whole map, and you're likely to lose three units just taking out the air force, between baiting and the not-unlikely scenario that you have to move an anti-air into either bomber or battleship range.

Still, really close. I should get this if I just play more carefully with the naval units.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:03 am

Did it. 10 days. Grimm's attack boost was very helpful in several situations.

First turn, attack the pipeline with the battleship. Move the south artillery three squares away to finish the pipeline next turn, and move the battleship east. This isolates the piperunners. Meanwhile, move both rockets north, they covered six squares in the highest land row. That scared Hawke so much he wouldn't advance until he had his Super, and I got mine first.

To get rid of the sub easily, you need to launch a missile at the two cruisers, then attack the closer one and damage it to 3 HP. This makes them back off and join, and lets you move a ground unit (I recommend the APC) to reveal it on the next turn.

Killed the first bomber by baiting it with a tank and then killing it with an anti-air (97%).

I got my Super on the same turn that I destroyed the sub. I also destroyed the rest of the air units with my anti-airs and copters, which helped with charging. I used it to open some pipelines, preparing Rockets and Artillery ahead of time, and killed two of Hawke's Mid Tanks with Grimm's - at full HP, this always works on roads and can work on plains. Killed one of the artillery with a tank, too. I also blew up a pipeline with Grimm's battleship, and started capturing the tower and lab map city.

At this point, I had lost four units - both tanks, an infantry, and an anti-air. However, the only enemy units I had to seriously worry about were one artillery, one Mid Tank, a battleship (that never moved) and a cruiser. A Mid Tank tried to cross on the north, but I hit it with rockets right away and easily took care of it by the time it posed any threat.

Since I soon had the map under control, and sent most of my units towards the cannons, while sending one rocket to hit the upper-right pipeline; it could also hit the pipeline beside the east base. On the last day, I had my CO power charged but I probably didn't even need it. I blew up the last two pipelines with both rockets and the battleship, and finished the minicannons off with my Mid Tanks and Artillery.

This map was much easier than I expected once I figured out how to actually hit the out-of-the-way pipe seams. It actually feels silly that I spent two years dreading it. Dark Ambition is still a monstrosity, though.

Also: Apparently I haven't used any CO more than three times in this run. My top three are Jake, Flak, and Von Bolt, with three each. As I recall, Von Bolt has the lowest priority on the list, too. So I've used everyone else at most twice.

That will soon change, though, because Grimm's doing Spiral Garden solo. I'm on a roll here.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Took me a while to get my bearings on Spiral Garden, but it wasn't too bad in the end. Grimm's anti-air has a chance to one-shot an infantry on a city; this fact lets you hit one of the piperunners with a tank on Day 2. Save up for an early Mid Tank, use it and the artillery to take out Kindle's Neotank (use some other units as bait if necessary), and try not to keep too many units on cities unless there's no chance of Urban Blight. Once the Neotank's gone, it's pretty easy to take the northeast base and then you just have to take every property that isn't around Kindle's lab. Then hit the piperunners and everything else when you get the opportunity, and take the airport when you can to start pumping out bombers, which are quite helpful in blowing up the seams.

My final capturing infantry got hit by a rocket, which made the last few days slow, but I got the 300 and all seams, so whatever.

Finished Omens and Signs too, it was easy. Kanbei on the main front, Eagle on the second. I sent all my fighters up right away, which probably isn't the best way to handle things; I had to send up a few Stealths later so Eagle could take out the fortress. But aside from that, it was easy between Kanbei's defenses and the fact that Jugger's forces on this map are pretty pathetic on the whole. Simple enough.

Into the Woods is next. I don't usually have a lot of problems on that map, but it can be a bit of a pain and I don't get to use tags on this run. Still, shouldn't be too bad - I just need to take advantage of the fact that the AI actually has to follow vision rules in this game.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Into the Woods done with Kanbei and Sasha. Not a lot to say here. Sasha got a little beaten up, but she was able to delay the tag until Samurai Spirit was charged up, and took out a good number of enemy units. Kanbei's Neotank got eaten by an Oozium, but by that point I'd nearly wiped out everything. I captured the airport but didn't even need it, routed everything on Day 9.

Then there was Muck Amok, which requires no great explanation. I used Grimm and Sonja and basically just cleaned up.

Some rough missions ahead, though. Healing Touch is usually a pain, Crystal Calamity is Crystal Calamity (though my HC opening strategy should still work), and then there's Dark Ambition, the single worst map to get full points on.

On the other hand, after these three missions there's nothing I'm particularly worried about for the rest of the run. If I focus on this, I can probably wrap it up within a month.

Speaking of which, I should try to finish off the AW2 Grimm hack at some point in the near future too. The only reason I haven't is that Final Front is annoying me, it shouldn't be hard but I haven't been in the mood to work it out.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:59 am

Okay, just kind of stumbled messily through Healing Touch. Used Kanbei and Eagle to just power through it, lost a bunch of units, it still wasn't enough to give me a Technique penalty so I went with it. I remember having much cleaner strategies on past runs, but it's been too long since then so I forget what they are.

Fortunately, I wrote down my old Crystal Calamity strategy, so I won't have that problem there. Should be able to get it done pretty quickly. After that... well, given the long breaks I took before getting Neverending War and Snow Hunters done, I may be putting the game down for a while.

(Maybe I'll power through Final Front on the Grimm hack while I put that off.)
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 am

Crystal Calamity is done, I'm not especially proud of it though. I used the opening strategy I came up with and that part worked well enough, but then I just lost a ton of units on Green Earth, some of them due to really careless mistakes (like forgetting to refuel a fighter) and generally played sloppily. Team was Eagle, Hawke, Sasha. In the end I got the Power score with Sasha because there were three enemy units near her HQ and she had enough units near the Obelisk to take out another three and hit it with the bomber. Eagle hit the Obelisk first with a rocket and that was that. Really, it was just a mess.

Still, a win's a win, and now we're at the main event.

Dark Ambition HC is the hardest map to get full points on. The minicannons are no problem, but take too long on the pipelines and the enemy will destroy them first. That ends up happening pretty early, giving you a lot to deal with when you haven't had much time to get your units into position. Worst of all, there's no bases on the map, so Technique is tight, and it's hard not to lose units. The enemy tag power, in particular, is a big threat. Even Market Crash isn't much help - you don't get a lot of income on this map, and if Olaf's out they'll use the tag if they finish charging on their turn.

Fair warning: It took me two years to work up the nerve to finish Snow Hunters on this run. This map's worse. I'm going to try not to take so long this time around, but I make no guarantees.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:03 am

Managed it.

I did not take this map lightly.

On OS, I went with Sensei for a little speed in taking the cities (which wasn't really needed) and the slight boost to unit count from his powers - I'm not sure offhand if 28 units is enough with rounding for six losses, but I played it safe. As it turned out, I had six losses, though I could probably have managed five. Maybe it would have been more effective to use Grit here, or possibly Kanbei for defense.

On BM, I went with Eagle - not so much for the boost to the air units, though that was nice, but for Lightning Drive. On GE, I went with Sasha to hold off the tag. Both proved valuable.

So basic tactics. First off, the pipelines. Full points means you destroy them rather than Black Hole. To do this, you want to leave the weak direct units in front of them alone. Destroying them or scaring them into repairing means that a bigger tank will attack. Combined with the indirects, this is almost certain to break the pipelines.

Speaking of the indirects, it helps to use Sensei's units to bait hits from them. He's not going to be a major participant, not only because of his limited offensive units, but because he goes first and is unlikely to break the pipelines.

Right away, Sensei goes for the silos. He also hits a Mid Tank with his rocket on Day 1, which makes it run away to repair. The remaining big tanks are targeted with one silo on Day 2, which makes them all run to cities, and then four of them are clustered around the HQ for the next two missile hits on Day 3.

In addition, he moves his artillery in position to hit an anti-air on Day 2; another one is hit by the silo on that day, so they join. This doesn't affect the pipeline breaking, at least in my runthrough; that anti-air moved after all the big tanks. And then another one took its place, though it didn't matter because I broke through the next day. Sensei's artillery and anti-air are also used to draw attack from indirects on Day 2.

Meanwhile: Eagle lets his carrier take hits from the Mid Tank to help him charge. I leave it out of range on Day 1, on Day 2 and 3 I move it right next to the tank and block it with an APC so it doesn't get any ideas about hitting my rocket (or get scared out of its range). Otherwise, he just moves his units up.

Sasha requires careful setup on Day 2 to prepare for the pipeline going down. Main points: Keep her units out of indirect range, keep one of her anti-airs exactly six squares away from the south enemy rocket. In addition, she moves her APCs north and west of the enemy infantry. It attacks one, letting her join them on Day 3 for extra Market Crash funds. I ignore the Mid Tank for the moment, since it only attacks things in its range and the infantry prevents it from hitting the APCs.

Day 3 is when things get started. Drop missiles on the big tanks, catching an AA and rocket in the process, and break the pipelines - in this case, I used Sensei's weakened artillery and AA to break the middle one, which was in single-digits. Eagle's Stealth hit the north one, and his bomber hit the south. I used his tank to hit the north AA, it was his least useful unit and I didn't want to expose the stealth or bomber to minicannon fire. Sasha destroys the south anti-air with her Mid Tank, the south rocket with her Neotank, and the black bomb with one of her anti-airs. She also joins the APCs and gets an extra 4000 for her trouble. The enemy tag isn't quite charged yet.

This is when BH counterattacks. Sasha's Mid gets hit by cannon fire, she loses the AA, and her Neo gets hit by a 4 HP rocket. All of this is a small price to pay for taking care of that Black Bomb. Otherwise, Eagle loses the tank, and his B-Copter (which I used to block the middle passage, probably didn't need to) gets knocked down to 2 HP.

Then on Day 4, I get serious. I go after the big threats: the one remaining anti-air (there were two left last turn and they joined), the recovering big tanks, any copters I can hit, and whatever else. I use Lightning Drive here, as well as Market Crash because obviously the tag's coming close.

At this point it's mostly cleanup. I get another Market Crash in, and that delays the tag until there's nothing left but one APC with a mech in it. On my first try, that mech would have taken Sensei's HQ, so I reloaded from a save, then I just move units to surround that APC while I take out the cannons.

Overall it went pretty well, but this is still a brutal mission to get full points on. Now that it's behind me, I shouldn't have any major problems with the rest of the campaign.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:44 am

Pincer Strike done. Used Grimm and Sasha. I never have major problems here because the enemy has few units with any real vision in the rain, and Blue Moon starts with plenty of funds. This means Market Crash will be really effective by the time the fighting actually starts, and it also means that Sasha has plenty of money to build bombers once she takes the airport. There were a few minor tricky spots, but on the whole I just blew right through the map.

Edit: And now Ring of Fire is taken care of, with Grimm and Kanbei emerging triumphant. This is a DS map, so the difference from my usual playthroughs is that I left the top front to the AI.

And damn, the AI is terrible with it. They expose their starting AAs to tanks very early on.

The best strategy is to hold off on sending the units near the HQ up until the bombers get close. Then the AI can attack immediately with the units just sent up. Capture the base on the west as soon as possible and build AAs to serve as reinforcements until you clear out the air units.

As for the main front, it's easy. Trigger Koal's COP on Day 1, and he'll send both his infantry to capture cities in range of your indirects. Now you'll never have to deal with any reinforcements. Just pick off units with your rockets and artillery, and eventually build bombers/copters to mop up.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:05 am

i just wanna say i did HC andy only no skills

my scores were abysmal obviously. best of luck.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:10 am

Grimm and Sasha get through Surrounded with generally little trouble. The beginning is a bit rough, but Grimm's copter and a few artillery behind it are enough to dissuade most attacks from the west, and badly punish a tank from the north; meanwhile I focus on clearing out units in the east and south. Between Market Crash and the fact that Andy won't use a tag if he doesn't have any damaged units, it's fairly easy to hold off the tag. I did see a few Hyper Repairs, but that's pretty mild.

Fun fact: if you have recons and APCs covered by the rocket in the southern Neotank's attack range, it won't move. It didn't attack until I put my tank in range. I could probably have avoided that entirely by just exploiting that to take the airport and then blow it up with a bomber. Something to keep in mind whenever I play through HC again.

If I do another run like this, I'm going to ban Sasha and see how much worse it is.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:00 am

I'm kinda curious as to what your opener is for Crystal Calamity. Do you mind posting it?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:12 pm

It's on the site, though organized by army instead of day-to-day. Which makes sense for explaining what each army is doing, but doesn't work so well for following the steps. I made a thread for it after I worked it out.

Current progress: For The Future has been annoying. Not incredibly hard, just troublesome enough that I haven't been focused on it. Should have it finished up soon, and then of course Means to an End will come soon after.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:26 am

Nearly a year later, I finally get around to clearing For the Future.

Team: Javier in the middle, Rachel on the left, Eagle on the right.

Javier is an obvious choice; he gets +30/+30 stats after a few turns, which helps quite a bit. Rachel has a nice navy that can be turned into a decent amount of star power, and Covering Fire is really nice for clearing some space in the middle. Eagle, of course, has stronger air units and Lightning Drive/Strike.

You lose a lot of units early on here, especially considering Rachel's navy is overall more useful for filling her CO meter than taking out the enemies. Fortunately, there's a lot of time to build more, and once Covering Fire goes off, Javier should be able to make a lot of progress and take control of the middle. Everything else was mop-up, taking out the pipelines and other structures and getting enough units KOed in one turn; I ended up needing seven, and managed to get that without Lightning Drive/Strike. (Though I did use Lightning Drive twice before the turn where I made Power.) I could probably have beaten the map a little faster, but I still got full Speed so whatever.

I'll write down my turncounts once I clear Means to an End. That won't take long.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Campaign Run: Full Points, No Skills, One CO (HC complet

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 am

And done! The HC version of the map is a bit tricky, but ultimately it's just about surviving the initial wave of mechs with enough forces to handle the Oozium that arrive about when you finally deal with them, and sending a B-Copter and some T-Copters down south to eliminate Von Bolt's income and get a nice big boost to your own. I used Grimm because he's my favorite.

Most of the difficulty comes from the AI not being smart enough to manage the second front well. I compensated for that by putting Rachel on there; her extra repair gets her bouncing back from Urban Blight immediately, and Covering Fire is always useful.

So, turn counts!

Jake's Trial - 5 days
The New Black - 8 days
Max Attacks - 8 days
Reclaim The Skies - 3 days
Neverending War - 14 days
The Ocean Blue - 9 days
Fog Rolls In - 10 days
Tag Battle - 16 days
Victory or Death! - 10 days
Black Boats Ahoy! - 8 days
The Long March - 8 days
Lightning Strikes - 17 days
Frozen Fortress - 13 days
Lash's Test - 11 days
Verdant Hills - 8 days
Snow Hunters - 10 days
Spiral Garden - 21 days
Omens and Signs - 13 days
Into the Woods - 9 days
Muck Amok! - 9 days
Healing Touch - 8 days
Crystal Calamity - 17 days
Dark Ambition - 8 days
Pincer Strike - 12 days
Ring of Fire - 17 days
Surrounded! - 12 days
For the Future! - 16 days
Means to an End - 21 days

It's been so long that I'm actually surprised at how fast some of these are (five days on Jake's Trial, did I just HQ rush that with Sami or something?), but overall the tough missions were the ones I expected. Kind of silly that I took a longer break on For the Future than Dark Ambition, though, considering the latter is much harder; then again, the hard part of Dark Ambition, crazy as it is, is more condensed. Both have rough beginnings, with Dark Ambition's being worse, but For the Future's takes longer.

Hardest missions were Dark Ambition, Snow Hunters, and Neverending War, as I expected; I don't think there were any real surprises in the run.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Campaign Run: Full Points, No Skills, One CO (HC complet

Post by HPD » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 am

Congratulations! That's quite a feat!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis