HPD plays AWDS HC for the first time 9 yrs after release

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

HPD plays AWDS HC for the first time 9 yrs after release

Post by HPD » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:38 pm

I have actually been playing AWDS during long bus trips and finished the campaign just today! That's a first for AWDS guys!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: WWN according to pictures of my photobucket.

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:02 am

I'm still on For The Future in my One CO run. It's not so much that the map is hard, just that it's been annoying me enough that I haven't tried it in a while. Also I kind of want to finish HC in the Grimm hack first, but I've been having a similar issue with Final Front.

I have been prone to reminiscing and rereading old threads, though. I really love this series, even if I don't play it nearly as much as I used to. I even stumbled on a few fastest-win strategies I'd put together and didn't even remember. (Two days on Flak Attack! I didn't remember that at all. I also remembered coming up with four days on Test of Time HC, but I didn't remember that Translucent Air forwarded an old email to me with the strategy I'd written up way back then.)
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:26 pm

I managed to clear NC at least now with full points no skills. Not sure yet if I want to go with the same restrictions for HC, but NC wasn't particularly difficult.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 am

From memory, AWDS HC isn't that difficult. That's going back at least 4-5 years, mind.

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:55 am

I actually have no idea where my AW:DS cartridge went. Not only that, but between me and my brother, we actually have two copies of the game in the house, and neither one is in its box or in a DS. Not that it would be a big deal for me to emulate it or even procure another copy, but I'm pretty confused right now.
Omnes adsint, quamvis dementi, quamvis nefasti

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:33 am

On Victory or Death HC now. Still going with full points, no skills. So far, only Neverending War has been giving me trouble for speed. I managed to scrape it in on the last day (day 16) with Eagle/Sami though. Maybe should've been more aggressive with taking the airport but meh. Also next time save the tag to cap the HQ I guess but it charged up early and used it to gain the upper hand against the Neos and cap the whole southeastern city block so it was still useful.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Yeah, Neverending War HC is a rough map. I remember I took a long break the first time I got there.

The next big trouble spot is Snow Hunters thanks to the pipelines. I can't see anything along the way that should give you major problems.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:45 pm

I don't persue the kind of skill you guys do(I tend to grab every advantage I can), but I still like to mess around with vs battle
mode. Awdor is nice and balanced, and awds has funny options to mess around with. So very casual :/

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:01 am

VoD was a breeze. Used Eagle/Grimm but ignored the second front altogether. I don't think that the Arc adds to your points for destroying the minicannons so just shattered the crystal on day 5. Lightning Drive is ridiculous.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:40 am

Yeah, only the main front ever counts for bonus points. And it's a pretty easy map even without Eagle. As I recall, the AI doesn't make any effort to surround the crystal, so you can easily get a bomber into range to attack it without being threatened.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:21 pm

The nice part was that I didn't even have to bait the fighter. It just flew in range to let me 2HKO it with Lightning Drive. Had another LD charged on day 5 but i could already reach the crystal with a bomber by then so didn't need it.

Edit: Not much about the next couple of missions. Used Drake/Olaf for Black Boats Ahoy (though Olaf was superfluous), Sami/Sonja and Grit/Olaf for The Long March and Colin/Hachi for Lightning Strikes.

Haven't attempted Frozen Fortress yet but it doesn't look too bad really.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Frozen Fortress is even easier than it looks. You can actually prevent the AI from capturing any bases on the HC version. I think you need particular enemy movement to pull it off, though it's not particularly uncommon.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Yeah, I did that. Used Andy/Max on OS and Olaf/Jugger for BM. Any CO would've worked equally well though. I was pretty sloppy here, though, but not enough to put Technique in danger.

Also cleared Lash's Test easily with Grit/Kanbei. Grit can reach the pipe seam easily with his rockets to release the Black Bombs. Snipe Attack took care of the B-Ship for the most part, then had Kanbei mop up. Verdant Hills next.

E: done. Sonja/Jugger and Grit/Olaf. Never tagged in the other COs though. I had the AI use the tag on day 3 IIRC just so they would move their units north faster and free up the HQ for me to cap. They had Javier go first in the Tag break due to some luck with the meter but other than that it was fairly straightforward.

And now I'm on Snow Hunters. Any advice before I tackle this one? My first guess is to use Grimm/Eagle but I'm not gonna try today yet.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:41 am

This is a rough one. There are basically two approaches you can use here.

Option one: Confront the big pile of forces Hawke has on the east side. If you want to do it this way, you'll want Rachel on the team because Covering Fire is really helpful for this. Before my solo run, I always did this with Rachel and Sasha because I found War Bonds was actually pretty helpful in getting some Neotanks out. Your first priority with this approach should be taking the bases, otherwise I don't have much specific advice. It's pretty much a straightforward "pound on everything in sight" approach.

Option two: Play it safe with indirects. Go for the outer pipelines first with your rockets/battleship, and only destroy the pipelines by the bases on the last day. This means you probably won't be taking those bases, so Technique is more precious. (Obviously, you want to get rid of the infantry Hawke sends to those bases to avoid having to deal with more units or a higher Power requirement.)

Early in the map, you want to cover the north passage with your two rockets; this way, Hawke won't advance anything over there until he gets his CO power. The extra time will be helpful in getting your Mid Tanks and artillery over to the cannons while mopping up Hawke's units there.

When I took this approach, I used the battleship to scare away the piperunners and kept them from ever being a factor, but I needed Grimm's high offense to deal with the navy without the battleship's aid - specifically, launching the missile silo at the cruisers and then dealing 4 damage to one of them with my own cruiser. At 7 HP and 3 HP, they joined. Without Grimm or a luck CO to deal 4 damage, the best option I can see would be blowing up the southeast pipeline on Day 2. The piperunners will still be able to hit the island, so I think you'd want to move the battleship towards them once the navy's gone to scare them off while you take the map and tower.

The first approach puts you against more of Hawke's forces, but it's actually easier for the 300. You're sure to get a good Power opportunity somewhere in there, and you get early access to the bases, which can buy you another unit or two of leeway on Technique. The second approach is faster, largely by necessity. You want to spend as little time as possible being threatened by Hawke, so you move fast and take things out when you get a chance.

I've only managed this with a Rachel/Sasha team and solo Grimm, so if you find another approach I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 am

Did it. 12 days with Grimm/Rachel. Ended up sort of following your second plan of action. I played more defensive than you did, though, but used the rockets and the B-ship to scare Hawke into keeping his stuff massed on the eastern side of the map. I had one attempt where the piperunners actually retreated all the way to the back after smashing the southeasternmost pipe seam on day 2. Then I could smash the eastern seam and keep them away forever but it didn't happen on my final run so I had to rely on the B-ship to scare them back enough to let me capture the lab map (the game explicitly tells you to do this in the yield tip btw). In the end I lost three units only, which were necessary sacrifices: the infantry who went for the missile silo, one A-Air that was lost to a bomber I couldn't reach no matter what I tried in the early game, and the mech that captured the lab map as I took it during the tag break in range of the piperunners.

Rachel was probably not the best choice as tag partner here. Her SCOP hit the huge mass of units on the east side with all three missiles, but by that time those had long since stopped being a factor. And while her +1 base repair did get my units healed back up quickly after Hawke's powers, I probably would've been better off with Jess, Andy, Jake or even a luck CO. Basically anyone with a vehicle boost and a six-star meter. I did trigger the tag break early, though. It did cause Hawke to completely fill up for Black Storm from an empty meter. It did let me get rid of annoying things like the cruisers and most of the units on the left-hand side but it might've paid off to have my units better positioned before unleashing the tag as I spent much of Grimm's turn (he went first, sadly) positioning my units and breaking the western pipe seams so that Rachel could strike.

Oh well. I managed, and that's what counts. Next time I might try Eagle/Grimm as I suggested right at first, just to I can use the tag to smash through everything in one turn. Next big roadblock should be Dark Ambition.

E: Spiral Garden 16 days with Colin/Grimm. Could've been a day faster but I got careless. Basically Gold Rush + Neotank spam and watch everything die around you. Another one down!

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 am

Pretty much hijacked the topic by this point but meh.

At Crystal Calamity at the moment. I think I'll just refer to Fogel's strat on that one as I can't be bothered with a bunch of trial and error trying to get through the first few turns.

All the other missions were easy enough. Omens and Signs was Eagle/Kanbei. Not much to say. Sent up two fighters on day 2 to take out the Black Bombs and went from there. Kanbei/Sonja and Sasha/whoever for Into the Woods. Basically managed to use Market Crash to delay the tag so that Kanbei/Sonja got theirs first. The rest is trivial. Muck Amok is just pure Grimm and blasting through. And last but not least Healing Touch which is also a power demonstration for Kanbei. Eagle on BM for Lightning Drive and the air unit boost and just power through again with your big units. The AI is stupid enough to suicide everything against the Megatank anyway. Just beware of Jugger once they get their tag. He got extremely lucky on my first attempt and pretty much wiped out everything he touched thanks to that suicidal AI.

Almost at Dark Ambition. If Fogel is to be believed, that's the one I should be dreading.

E: meh. Fogel's strat works well enough, but I still need to somehow get rid of the enemy tag. I have to build a fighter with GE at one point to get rid of the stealth, so I trigger Market Crash on day 3 despite Fogel not mentioning doing that. They still get their tag charged up by day 5 or 6 though. Have to figure put how to stop that.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: HPD plays AWDS HC for the first time 9 yrs after release

Post by HPD » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 pm

Yeah, cleared Crystal Calamity. 14 days which was slow considering I could've smashed the obelisk way earlier. Used Eagle/Andy, Olaf/Drake and Sasha/Colin. My biggest problem with Fogel's strategy was that I could not prevent BH from using a tag power either on day 4 or 5. In the end I let them have it on day 4 since both OS and GE were not directly threatened by anything non-stationary. BM got the worst of that, though, as it made the artillery retreat and the Neotank kill my artillery, effectively stripping me of any real means of dealing with the Neo. It kept skipping out of rocket range and refused to be baited so it took me a good while to finally lock it down. I did manage to maneuver an infantry around the Neo, arty and Oozium to grab the silos so that was fortunate enough. Lost the B-ship to a B-copter/cruiser combo but it helped Olaf/Drake charge their tag and it had already taken out the black cannon anyway so its purpose was done. It took until day 13 before BM was finally in a position to deal with the Oozium on their side. Next time I might want to pair Olaf with Grit as the tag came way too late to matter. At least the AI is dumb at staying out of Grit's range so he has a better chance there. Rachel would also be decent I think. Especially paired with Jake.

Andy was a great assist to Eagle, both for luck and the tag. Likewise, Colin gave Sasha that extra boost to easily deal with everything on her side. Still lost a ton of units: 16 or so, but excessive inf/t-copter spam prevailed.

So, Dark Ambition. If I can get full points here, I should be fine from then on. Wish me luck.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43 pm

I actually found Hard Campaign to be *easier* than normal during some missions. One example being Snow Hunters. Having Grit to buff those indirect units really makes a difference!

It's also great being able to use all of those uber-powerful COs during the early missions, like Hawke and Grimm. I must say though, the "leftovers" don't really add much to the flavor of HC. I refer to Andy, Olaf, Kanbei, Drake, Flak, and Jugger.

I haven't tried to use a villain yet though. I'm mentally prepping for some Kindle domination, but I think I last left off somewhere around Mission 19 or 20(Counting the optional ones).

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 am

Wow I forgot about this. Should pick it up again; I was doing so well...

Yeah, haven't tried Dark Ambition so far.

In reply to your post, I was thinking of doing a run with only BH COs after this one, as I hardly seem to be using them right now. Most of them just lack the proper specialisations to deal with a lot of these missions most efficiently, so it's a little bit of a challenge to do it with them.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:13 pm

If you mean the whole campaign using nothing but BH COs, then Hawke, Kindle, and Von Bolt are your best choices offense-wise. Koal is good for extra movement speed(Especially helpful during a tag), Flak and Jugger are your wild cards, and Lash is good for defensive tactics, and also has a good tag rating with Hawke.

You'd be losing out on Grit's indirect strength, the raw power of Max and Grimm, and Eagle's Lightning Strike. Also Sami's Victory March and capture bonus. You can somewhat compensate using skills.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Sorry for double-posting, but I feel I should post a technique that everyone may or may not already know(If you don't, you might facepalm when you realize)

So, you know how Stealth Fighters can hide, right? And when hidden, the only other units that can kill them are other Stealth Fighters and Standard Fighters. Not even Anti-Airs can nail these guys when hidden.

But as we all know, the downside is that this burns fuel like it's nothing, which heavily reduces the potential... UNLESS, you have an APC next to it.

I don't know what kinds of applications this technique could have, as so far I only managed to do it on Mission 23: Dark Ambition, where I had my Stealth hide right behind a pipe seam with an APC next to it. Since the enemies don't have any Fighters, you've essentially created an invisible wall. Meanwhile, units will be ripe for picking off with indirect units since the invisi-stealth will stop them cold.

if you ever run into a situation in Hard where you have a Stealth and an APC(Or you can deploy them), then take advantage of this tactic.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Yeah, I've made use of Stealths-as-walls before. It's not often practical because stealths are expensive and hard to keep refueled, but when it works it can be quite ridiculous.

(See: my Ring Islands strategy.)
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:45 am

There's also the "Use APC as portable airport" thing for Stealths as well. Granted, they can't recover health, but as long as the Stealth is killing non-fighter units, it shouldn't be losing health, so yeah. I get the feeling this slipped through the cracks.

It's an essential strategy in my custom map, Tower Power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhr7nfcDBcM

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:12 am

HPD, re: Crystal Calamity wrote:E: meh. Fogel's strat works well enough, but I still need to somehow get rid of the enemy tag. I have to build a fighter with GE at one point to get rid of the stealth, so I trigger Market Crash on day 3 despite Fogel not mentioning doing that. They still get their tag charged up by day 5 or 6 though. Have to figure put how to stop that.
Bumping this after however long because I want to make a note here.

I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I don't mention using Market Crash on Day 3 because you shouldn't. Yes, you're making an expensive purchase but the timing works better if you wait to use your first Market Crash until the enemy tag is completely charged up. And I'm pretty sure that's not the case on Day 3.

I should explicitly note that in the strategy, I guess.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:29 am

Ahaha, yes! Finally beat Dark Ambition with full points!

8 days with Sonja/Kanbei, Eagle/Andy and Sasha/Jess. Dragon Fogel's tips were worth a ton. As long as you manage to destroy the Black Bomb by sacrificing an AA (and I had to sacrifice Sasha's Neo for that as well), as well as delay the tag with Sasha for two days until there's hardly anything left on the field, it's ok. Lightning Drive was worth a lot as well here.

Now, maybe I can actually finish this run at some point. The biggest roadblock is now gone.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:03 am

Pincer Strike down. Not much to say here other than that I have an irrational dislike for that mission. It wasn't difficult by any means, though. Team was Sonja/Kanbei and Sasha/Olaf (although you could substitute anyone for Olaf, really). BH never got a single tag power. Market Crash is ridiculous.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:09 am

Beat Ring of Fire as well now. Used Grimm/Kanbei just like Dragon Fogel since it's probably the most solid team for the mission. Fogel's tip of triggering Koal's COP day one so the AI skips capping the base and goes for the cities in range of your indirects is extremely useful. Of course I didn't limit myself to having the AI control the second front, so that saved some time. Not that I managed to clear the top front before the bottom one, though, but that was mostly because I am a miser and don't send up a lot of units. Just barely enough really.

Oh well, three more to go. Surrounded is next. I remember this being pretty much trivial on NC but can't be sure of that now.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:50 am

Surrounded is quite a bit tougher on HC, but there's a trick to it. If Andy is the active CO and doesn't have any damaged units, he won't use any powers at all. You can exploit this by making sure you destroy any of his units that get damaged before his next turn. Between this and Market Crash, it's possible to delay the enemy tag for quite a while.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 am

Surrounded! is now done as well. Used Kanbei/Sonja and Sasha/Colin, but only used the seconds for extra luck. BH never used a tag power. Bloody Market Crash.

Anyway, I had some pretty good AI movement on the first days, which let me clear the southern piperunner, neo and B-copters with relative ease. The northeastern base gets blocked by Kanbei on day 2 which clears that front. The northwestern enemy infantry should always go for the cities far north and stay well away fron the silos as well.

On the northern front I basically kept the MD occupied with Mechs until I had funds for an MD tank myself. The rest was fairly simple.

For the Future is now on the menu. Looks like I'm in for a pretty long sitting there, but it's not as big as Great Sea Battle or Final Front, to name a few. I'm looking at Javier/Kanbei, Rachel/Drake and Eagle/Andy as a probable lineup. Advice, as always, is welcome.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:19 am

Sounds like a good lineup, it's not too hard of a mission. I had a bit of trouble getting started in my one-CO run, but there's no particular things to worry about with two. The hardest part is the Power score; you have plenty of time to work on Technique. I find that Power is easiest to get with either an Eagle-initiated tag on GE, or with a tag from OS (regardless of who I'm using on that team). Rachel's CO power devastates the middle and you can often get quite a few kills from mopping up the weakened units there.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 am

Alright, For the Future is done with the team I suggested. I was incredibly sloppy with it at times, costing me several days I guess. Stupid out-of-the-way pipe seams cost me some time to reach, bombers kept running out of ammo/fuel. Jess would actually be a good tag partner just for that but meh. Also next time I should probably plan out charge times a bit better because everything charged on absolutely stupid times which didn't help.

Oh well, I got full points so who cares. Means to an End is all that's left. IS really seem to have had Jake/Rachel in mind for it when they designed it so might as well humor them.

I think I'll do a Black Hole CO's only run next time since I hardly ever used them for anything. No Eagle/Sasha/Kanbei is going to hurt, but HC wasn't really all that difficult with just full points no skills as a handicap.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:13 am

And it's done. The end was very stupid. I wanted to bust the Grand Bolt on day 19 and had everything set up for a Dual Strike, only for Rachel to decide to nuke the very unit that was supposed to destroy the final part. So I set up a second unit to do it on day 20 instead... and then Von Bolt decides to nuke that one as well. Urgh...

Anyway, my times as such (and how much Fogel's were with one CO):

1. Jake's Trial - 9 days (5 DF)
2. The New Black - 5 days (8 DF)
3. Max Attacks - 7 days (8 DF)
4. Reclaim The Skies - 3 days (3 DF)
5. Neverending War - 16 days (14 DF)
6. The Ocean Blue - 6 days (9 DF)
7. Fog Rolls In - 7 days (10 DF)
8. Tag Battle - 13 days (16 DF)
9. Victory or Death! - 5 days (10 DF)
10. Black Boats Ahoy! - 7 days (8 DF)
11. The Long March - 6 days (8 DF)
12. Lightning Strikes - 10 days (17 DF)
13. Frozen Fortress - 12 days (13 DF)
14. Lash's Test - 9 days (11 DF)
15. Verdant Hills - 7 days (8 DF)
16. Snow Hunters - 12 days (10 DF)
17. Spiral Garden - 16 days (21 DF)
18. Omens and Signs - 9 days (13 DF)
19. Into the Woods - 10 days (9 DF)
20. Muck Amok! - 8 days (9 DF)
21. Healing Touch - 6 days (8 DF)
22. Crystal Calamity - 14 days (17 DF)
23. Dark Ambition - 8 days (8 DF)
24. Pincer Strike - 12 days (12 DF)
25. Ring of Fire - 13 days (17 DF)
26. Surrounded! - 10 days (12 DF)
27. For the Future! - 15 days (16 DF)
28. Means to an End - 21 days (21 DF)

So yeah, using one CO versus two, Fogel still beat me on Jake's Trial, Neverending War, Snow Hunters and Into the Woods. I know I didn't play Neverending War and Snow Hunters optimally, especially where timing the Tag was concerned. I guess that counts for quite a lot of delay. The other two I have no real idea, since both of those missions were quite forgettable.

Most of the time, though, I'm just a few days ahead of him, which is all pretty likely attributed to me having access to tags where Fogel didn't. Some missions were admittedly quite sloppily played, others are kinda nice. Overall, it's definitely not stellar, but decent, I guess.

With Von Bolt now unlocked, I guess I could try for HC with Black Hole CO's only. Not sure if I can do full points with that restriction, having no access to stuff like Lightning Drive, Market Crash and Covering Fire, or Kanbei's/Javier's awesome d2d stats. BH has a bunch of generalists mostly, so it'll be kinda interesting how that plays out.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Koal can be surprisingly useful if you stick to the roads (obviously). I don't play much with Kindle, but due to the scarcity of cities in the campaign maps, I wouldn't rely on her too much.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Tony_Cannoli

Post by Tony_Cannoli » Fri May 15, 2015 3:46 am

I play AWDS HC practically every year.

For all the predeployed (non-factory) missions, Kanbei is practically a staple. And I use Sasha on whichever team is the last to go before the enemy team to prevent devastating tag breaks.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:12 am

So, Black Hole only challenge it is. That means only Flak, Adder, Lash, Hawke, Jugger, Koal, Kindle, and Von Bolt.

Went into Jake's Trial with Von Bolt/Adder. And I can already tell this is going to be a challenge to 300pt every map with. The first map is already pretty brutal without an actual decent option. Went with Von Bolt for defense. Ex Machina came just in time to free up the HQ area, and I barely made a HQ cap on day 12. Thought I'd had a big enough cluster to distract Covering Fire away from the HQ capping infantry but one missile still hit it. Next turn an unfrozen tank managed to get a hit in, but Von Bolt's defence prevailed and kept it at 3 HP.

We'll see if I have to resort to skills on some maps. I hope not, but if it causes me too much headache I might.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:12 am

Jake's Trial HC is pretty much the hardest map in the entire game's campaign. You're pretty much home free now.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Well, I did use Flak on The New Black, but that mission is pathetically easy.

Top 3 to use are probably Von Bolt, Hawke and Kindle. Flak and Jugger are unreliable. Lash is very situational and Adder and Koal get shafted on offensive boosts.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Flak/Jugger only come into their own when they get the luck skill and a starred partner. Then they become dangerous.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:51 am

Bluhhhhh I hate Neverending War so much.

The map is awful, the deploy limitations are awful and the game is awful for deciding to use Ex Machina on the HQ parked units instead of the THREE NEOTANK CLUSTER RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

Honestly, Koal is pissing Neos all over the place and I can't grab the airport until like day 12 (about the same time I hit a tag break) and even then I don't have the funds to drop on a couple of bombers.

Maybe I should just ignore trying to keep the Neos at bay on the top and try to force my way through the south instead, then use a tag with two bombers and a T-copter and nab the HQ... I dunno.