HPD plays AWDS HC for the first time 9 yrs after release

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: HPD plays AWDS HC for the first time 9 yrs after release

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah, you want to get the airport as soon as possible, it's extremely important on that map.

A Sami tag is the easiest way to win, but obviously that's not an option here. You could either go for Koal/Adder so you can occasionally get extra movement and need fewer stars to charge a tag, or stick with Von Bolt and try to set up something like this:
-start tag with Von Bolt, stun units around the HQ
-drop off infantry in range to capture (with Adder or Koal you've got extra move for this)
-switch COs
-capture, the HQ units are stunned so they can't attack

Obviously you'd need to be able to clear a path to the HQ, but with two turns that shouldn't be too hard.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Ok, I have the worst luck with Ex Machina or something. This time it hit a single Mech and AA in the middle of nowhere while both the Neotanks and the HQ parked units were left completely alone. I miss Meteor Strike :(. At least I understood its targeting.

Still cleared it, though. Von Bolt's defence prevents a lot of OHKO's which is very useful here as you basically get low-tier units to battle high-tier Neos Koal is ever so fond of producing. It also helps that the AI is quite scared of putting them into Artillery range.

Nabbed the airport early on this time by completely ignoring the north, then had to wait for the tag (with Adder since I could just charge his bar without having to switch out Von Bolt) to be able to strike the HQ with two bombers and a T-copter. Lost three units but full points in 15 days.

I finally 'get' this map, I think. Took me a while though :p
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:24 am

I believe that Neverending War HC is one of the maps that Hawke can really shine on. His Black Storm can make those neo tanks huddle around cities to try and heal, which slows down their advance and allows you to either catch your breath after making your own push. Pairing him up with Koal or Adder also allows you to use their SCOP while Hawke's still charges up, and by the time it does, Koal/Adder is ready for another go as well. I have almost never played as Von Bolt simply because tag options are extremely limited.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 am

Didn't realise that I left this run over two years ago. Picked it up again today and found I was on Tag Battle when I abandoned it. Cleared it today with Kindle/Koal in a 13 day rout. Let's see how far we get..
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:37 am

VoD now cleared in 6 days with Von Bolt/Flak. Of course Flak lost the second front but it didn't matter. Used Ex Machina to clear the HQ area for a tactical Bomber strike. Easy enough.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 am

Black Boats Ahoy! and The Long March done. Since I did the former last week somewhere, I sort of forgot who I used. It's a fairly trivial mission anyway. For the latter I used Adder/Koal on OS and Hawke/Flak on BM. Tried to get an early tag off but it didn't really work as well as I'd hoped. Still, I only used one artillery on OS during the BH tag so I could press on. Took me 7 days to cap the HQ in the end. Hawke was just cannon fodder in hopes to charge enough for Black Storm but he only got a Black Wave off. Oh well.

I'll be fearing the enemy tag breaks before this is over. I'm much too reliant on Market Crash on missions like Crystal Calamity, Dark Ambition and Pincer Strike to even have a clear idea on how I'll possibly approach these without it...

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 am

Cleared Lightning Strikes with Adder/Von Bolt. Took no less than 14 days, but it was a 300, so whatever. Von Bolt's defence helps a ton against Sensei and Adder's speed helped me push. I was sloppy with technique though, and it took a while to rid myself of the second front, so that caused a bit of delay. On to Frozen Fortress!