Advance Wars Dual Strike Debate

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
JSRulz

Advance Wars Dual Strike Debate

Post by JSRulz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:03 pm

JakeSamiRulz and MaraSargon are trying to get some folks together for an AWDS debate. Details in this blog post.

To summarize what's in that blog post: we want to get together at least 4 debaters and 3 judges for a debate tournament. Debaters can pick from any CO or Tag in AWDS, and will try to argue why their chosen faction is better than the others. The judges will have three criteria to determine which debater gets their vote in each round.

The tournament itself will be somewhat of a double-elimination. Everyone starts in the Winner's Bracket, which is seeded based on how your chosen CO or Tag is favored in the tier list. In this bracket, debaters compete for 1st place. If you are eliminated, you get bumped down to the Loser's Bracket, which competes for 2nd place. If you are eliminated in that bracket as well, you're out of the tournament for good.

If you're interested in participating, please let me know! The debate tournament will be hosted at our forum, including a proper sign-up sheet to keep track of who claims which Tag/CO.
With the date of Custom Wars Tactics with Networking getting a more pinpoint date of release (this summer), and the complete lackluster of information regarding Commanding Officer Tags for AWDS in general... We decided that a debate would be a good way of stirring up information about the game in a controlled environment. I'm hoping that I can find a home where we can put a lot of our core strategies all in one place by starting a wiki. Without information, however, these things tend to wither.

My hope is just to see how many would be interested in these debates. If not, then just answering this would be enough...
"Can tags be valid in player vs. player? Explain."

DieselPheonix

Re: Advance Wars Dual Strike Debate

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:28 am

I expect the Tag system to be fully incorporated if faithfully replicating the game it comes from is a goal at any point. I also expect it to be used primarily to take two COs into a match with the Tag Powers and affinity bonus disabled.

For the purposes of an AW fan game, I honestly do not care so long as it is faster than AWBW.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:20 pm

I haven't been paying attention! what is CWT?

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Don't you have your own domain to host a mediawiki package on? Would give you full control over the URL and allows you to customise more.
I can help manage and get the wiki going, I'm familiar with the software.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

JSRulz

Post by JSRulz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Don't you have your own domain to host a mediawiki package on? Would give you full control over the URL and allows you to customise more.
I can help manage and get the wiki going, I'm familiar with the software.
All the domains I own are pretty much borrowed. I want to save as much space as I can for the networking. Honestly, I feel that this wiki is going to have a lot of content. I don't really want to play weight and scale, so I decided just to host it on the wikia website. Wikis are known for their ease of movement and integration into other sites. If I find a suitable home, I would be happy to move it so I'd get more control over it. If you want to help, I really don't mind. With Google Code going down in a few months, a big chunk of my information will be taken off the internet.

Google Code Project Documents > Design Documents

A lot of it was ideas to make the AW game stronger, and that is valuable. The goal for the wiki is just to make sure that we have a place where multi-player AW is focused on. Hopefully, that will shine through as the AW wikia present already does a good enough job with the basics. Turning it into a tutorial wiki would be interesting, but for now, I just want to get a good format.
I haven't been paying attention! what is CWT?
Custom Wars Tactics (CWT)

Honestly, it is just a fan game. It is a straight successor to Custom Wars, with a shift in focus. The goal is just to make AW more accessible, and allow it to be played on PC's, tablets, and phones (regardless of the make). However, unlike the previous attempts, the plan is to have networking, AI, and the ability to edit the units, properties, terrain, and CO's of the game to allow people to make their own creations.

The one thing that AW lacks is a consolidation of all the competitive documents (and assets). I think that isn't good, especially if we want new players to know how to play the game more efficiently. Even though videos will probably speak mountains, I think just having this information in an organized way will be a great way to preserve it. So, I'm doing something about it and making that place. Some games are just too good to have information get lost. We've lost 3 forums worth of information already (BBHQ, the old AWN, the old AWBW). That information will be almost impossible to get back. So, that is why my priorities have shifted to saving as much as I can, and placing it within that wiki. Maybe it'll slow that decay a bit if the information is spruced up and looks new.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I can put you on the list of editors. Help is always appreciated.