Best/Worst Skills

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
Tony_Cannoli

Best/Worst Skills

Post by Tony_Cannoli » Fri May 15, 2015 3:37 am

Those who know more than me can correct me where I'm wrong.

The best 2, IMO, seem to be the terrain skills which make all Woods and Plains have no movement hinderance.

Mistwaker (counterattacking) and Soul of Hachi (deploy in cities) also seem very practical. And the weather ones if fighting on that map.

When in doubt, can't go wrong with ATK boosting.

I'm not sure how effective Star Power is , but it seems good in concept.

As for the money ones, I'm not sure if it will provide a consequential amount of savings for the player.

Most of the other ones aren't very good.

Satel

Re: Best/Worst Skills

Post by Satel » Fri May 15, 2015 5:36 am

When in doubt, can't go wrong with defense boosting, I think you'd mean. They're just so much more effective.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri May 15, 2015 10:53 am

Star power is a 10% boost. It's functionally worthless with AWDS' fast charge rate.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 pm

13% savings is pretty huge, speeds capture phase up, allows you to spam units/tech up better, and eventually those advantages allow you to secure more terrain earlier. Those skills are also hillarous whenever Hachi uses his powers, 37% pricing is just silly.

Defense is good, as Satel said, Offense is decent, but since the boosts are smaller you should wonder if it's worth it.

Terrain can be good in some maps, the SCOP enhancers are good if you have a small power bar. And finally the repair +2 and capture +2 forces can really make a difference if you combine them with other ones.

(I'm bored)

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun May 17, 2015 10:59 pm

I would think Luck is far superior to any attack-boosting skills.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun May 17, 2015 11:11 pm

Also that, but didn't luck have a weird quirk which causes it to vary between systems?

Satel

Post by Satel » Sun May 17, 2015 11:27 pm

It's kind of irrelevant since we're talking about force skills, AWDS exclusives.

But yes, it did ignore defense in AW1.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun May 17, 2015 11:59 pm

No, I mean something that had to do with the specific DS you're using that affects luck somehow.

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon May 18, 2015 12:21 am

Never heard of anything like it.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon May 18, 2015 12:31 am

something is definitely feels DS dependent for DoR RNG. certainly doesn't feel like uniform RNG but that's stats for you.
---
soul of hachi is by far the best for PVP mostly because making more units than the other guy is broken.

second best i'm not really sure of. if you banned soul of hachi i would probably pick whatever skill gives you the sasha money ability (no idea what it's called) and call it a day. wouldn't surprise me if there were maps where other skills were better though.

the only other absurdly good skill that hasn't been mentioned is the +2 capturing one. having to devote a vehicle to disrupt a capture is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge tempo loss. +2 capturing means that a single enemy infantry cannot disrupt you from taking a a city. (cap points go 20->8->0, since inf v city inf is 38%).

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon May 18, 2015 1:50 am

hey, I mentioned it :P

I never experienced true AWDS PVP(I'm not entirely sure if I ever played that one against a human at all), but the direct defense +12 skill seems like a simple way to mess up your opponents offense.

If we're thinking full sets... It's probably soul of hachi, capture +2, direct defense %12, and 100 extra money per city? Maybe the second defense one instead of the money bonus.. That ends up with fairly safe captures(perhaps even with a recon attacking),unit spam, and generally decent combat. And if both sides go with it the stalemate of the century I presume. Or is mistwalker worth it reducing your defense for?

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon May 18, 2015 3:55 am

the best in the abstract is probably soul of hachi, 5% discount, 8% discount, +100 funds/city.

the biggest problem with medium tanks is that they have 5 movement. they end up taking an extra day to reach the front because maps are pretty much always made so that the main front is exactly ~12 spaces away.

getting to put a MD tank out on the front lines during SCOP is a huge contributor to what makes hachi so absurd. it's not just free units, its free units that you have to deal with *right then and there*, that normally take a stupid number of terms to reach the front.

i don't think i would deviate from the above combo unless the map had multiple fronts with contestible fronts (think of a map where OS and BM are in the corners of the map, and the entire diagonal has contested cities along it. see diagram, where BM is in bottom left, OS is in top right, and cities are in green along the purple shaded diagonal).

i'd probably swap out -5% costs for +2 capture in that case.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon May 18, 2015 4:20 am

It's probably not optimal, but I still have to wonder..

Would Hachi tech up even further in PVP, if he can invoke his scop for 37% pricing +100 funds/city?(He can probably sneak in a capture boost or mistwalker since he doesn't have to bother with SOH). I'm aware of those units faults, but by this point he's heavily bending the game's rules with SCOP.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon May 18, 2015 4:26 am

idk what's hachi playing against lol? like some other CO with skills?

i probably pump his extra cash into blackbombs because LOL blackbombs.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon May 18, 2015 4:44 am

Ah, true. I always forget the bombs.

Let's just conclude AWDS can get silly if you let it be.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon May 18, 2015 8:35 am

Dragonite wrote:Also that, but didn't luck have a weird quirk which causes it to vary between systems?
No, that’s a misconception. You can get in situations where you either get even values of luck or odd values of luck, but that has nothing to do with the DS.