Incidental Damage

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
DieselPheonix

Incidental Damage

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Need a better term for it, but essentially all non-unit to unit damage: missile silos, CO Powers, Black Bombs, inventions.

Anyway, do these decrease unit HP by fixed number or do they round?

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Incidental Damage

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Out-of-combat damage can reduce you to 1% HP, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't round. It would take some weird programming to have it round to a particular damage value while still being able to drop you to the absolute lowest HP possible.

Repairs round up, though. A unit with 61% HP (showing 7) sitting on an allied city will be repaired to 90%, not 81%.

I'm pretty confident on these, but I haven't actually peeked into the game code so I might be misinterpreting something.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Out of combat damage (Silos, CO Powers, Black Bombs) all do fixed damage. They're hard capped at reducing a unit to 0.1 HP (1 HP displayed) though.

Repairs always round up - a unit at 0.5 HP (1 HP disp) is repaired to 3.0 HP (3 HP displayed).

So, Dragon Fogel is absolutely correct.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:01 am

That reminds me of something else I wondered for years..
How does the game handle damaged units dropping in power? Does a 95% neotank attack get a 95% penalty? Or do you get a 10% penalty every time you pass the displayed HP threshold? Sometimes I get the feeling it matters with 1HP units, but I never really checked.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:15 am

it's based on the displayed HP threshold iirc.

the 1HP unit stuff might feel weird because they basically don't have luck.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Displayed HP, yeah.

So a unit at 0.1 to 1.0 HP has the same firepower/luck/terrain defence.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:55 pm

Sounds about right. Most basic units doesn't exceed 100 on the damage chart, so at 1 hp they can't deal displayed HP damage. Does enemy defense round down to calculate the exact damage dealt?(AKA it often will amount to literally nothing).

Another quirk I noticed about repairs minor damage above 91 HP will get repaired for free, but the game doesn't even tell you a repair was preformed in that case. I get why a nerfed Caulder with only 2 HP healing wound up being good, getting such favorable rounding each turn and getting rid of scratch damage easily adds up in the long run, especially for tech units.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:20 am

While I'm sure 0% is possible with rounding and such, if the number displayed is above 0% you are doing damage to the enemy unit. It might not be displayed on screen if you did less than 10% damage, but you did do damage.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:58 am

Yeah, I was talking about ending up with 0%. Another factor is that AWDS has a gimmicky orb as a HP bar in which it's easy to miss details(the 3-5% you end up with if a 1hp unit attacks)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:53 am

It's possible to end up with 0% before the invincible defence scenario.

Any attack that does 1% base when the enemy has some defence and fails a luck roll. All of the maths performed by the game for damage is integer maths, so 1% * 0.5 = 0.5%, becomes 0%. You'd just have to roll no damage on the luck roll.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:56 am

Yeah, seen that often with infantry vs tech tanks. The exact rounding method is new to me though.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:23 am

It isn't rounding, it's truncation.

Basically after division has been performed, anything after the decimal place is chopped off because it's smaller than the minimum data size.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:49 am

I yield.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:06 pm

How are you supposed to win theoretical theory wars if you give up so quickly?

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Overdosing on theory is fine, but I'm sadly not well versed in maths.
Although, on second reading... what he said was actually pretty simple, but it was 1AM and I just wrote that for fun after checking the wiki link for about two second.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm getting my PhD in Applied Theorycrafting. ayyy

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:39 am

Sven wrote:I'm getting my PhD in Applied Theorycrafting. ayyy
That doesn't work. It ceases to be theorycrafting once it's actually used! It can't be theorycraft if you can back it up! :gelol:

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Sven! you're crossing the theoretical streams!