Why is this AI behaviour happening?

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
ALAKTORN

Why is this AI behaviour happening?

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSq4QenCYGI

With an AA present, the AI attacks an Infantry. Without it, it attacks the TC. Can anybody explain it?

scraggypunk

Re: Why is this AI behaviour happening?

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:58 am

the AI is dumb
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Each unit gets it own AI at random when it's built (at least in AW2, but I assume they ported that functionality.) Since it looks like those are separate games you might have gotten an AI that favors infantry in the second one???
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:12 am

x0_000 wrote:Each unit gets it own AI at random when it's built (at least in AW2, but I assume they ported that functionality.) Since it looks like those are separate games you might have gotten an AI that favors infantry in the second one???
Na man, if it were just RNG I’d have noticed it. Those are literally the only possibilities and the only thing that matters is having an AA in that general position…

Also I don’t think AWDS works like that. The AI is general for AWDS, and is set at every turn’s start. There’s a glitch or something that when a unit is built, it can be “late”, as in it will move after other units that would usually not move before it, but other than that the AI behaviour seems to be generalized. In a map with 2 Tanks, the AI will either move them both into your units’ range or neither, not mix them up, and that’s decided on AI turn’s start. I think AWDS may work slightly differently from any other game in the series because it’s the only one with a frame-based RNG advance right at the start of AI’s turn (this is what determines the general AI behaviour and who knows what else).

Edit: Eh, meh, it’s what I thought. If the AA is ≤ 6 squares away from the TC, the BC will always prefer attacking an Infantry… even though the Infantry itself is within AA range. It’s fudge stupid, but that’s what it is.

Edit: Lol thanks for the post x0, you sparked interest back in me and now I found a way to manipulate the AI to never build a second BC, so the strategy works. Too bad it’s only for Sasha/Hachi… I’m so sad bland COs miss out by 1kG (can’t build AA). :(

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:21 am

I always wondered how the AI works in AW and how it decides priorities and tactics(and why anything resembling non-term strategy often falls apart on complex maps). Has somebody every written things about it?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:34 pm

No one's written anything comprehensive up, but if you're on IRC when I'm awake I could give you a pretty good rundown. It's kinda complex, yet really dumb at the same time.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

AlmightyangelGabriel

Post by AlmightyangelGabriel » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:56 am

I had a 1hp recon attack my megatank (in DoR) if im not mistaken