Survival Challenges

Talk about Advance Wars DS. Debate, laugh, cry, argue about everything to do with our favourite tag game here.
fcastro

Survival Challenges

Post by fcastro » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:20 am

For those who will keep on playing the old aw ds, this is a beginning for the survival challenges to find the best scores with all teams. Maybe, i should make a chart for it.

Turn Survival

Perfect Score: 17 turns (4-5-3-2-2-1-2-2-2-3-2) with Eagle (luck, star, transport+1, direct attack) and Sami (star, transport+1, partner attack).

In Champion, it means 85 maps cleared. ( you can find detailed strats on samuraigoroh's site).

Other good teams:
The idea is to find a strong main character helped by the good partner who will give luck boost. It's also interesting to have a 6-star power (or less) partner in order to use soul of hachi in map 2.
These are some theoretical best scores (i didnt check them all because it always needs luck):

Eagle/Andy: 18 turns
Koal/Jugger: 19 turns
Candy/Jugger: 20 turns
Kanbei/Sonja: 21 turns
Rachel/Nell: 21 turns

Some advice when you don't play with Eagle:
Map 1: One character needs transport +1 to finish it in 4 days. If you want to fill a 6-star power meter, take the star bonus and hit the sub down to 1hp with an art.
(Of course, if you complete it in 5 days, it will be easier to fill the power).
Map 2: Thanks to soul of hachi, 4 days.
Map 3: with a good power, you can destroy stronger units at day 4 and finish the map.
Map 4: so easy...
Map 5: It needs many luck to finish it in 2 days; because you also need to charge a tag.
Map 6: Tag power is needed to finish it in 2 days. Characters with movement boost (Andy, Zak, Adder, Sami) can finish in 1 day (or 2 without tag).
Map 7: Only the luckier characters can finish it in 2 days.
Map 8: Each good team can finish it with a tag power at day 2.
Map 9: with a good power, you can finish at day 3, but you may need prairie dog to move the rockets...
Map 10: 4 days is possible, but don't forget that you need a tag power for the last map.
Map 11: 2 days with the tag (3 without but it's hard).

I hope it will help!

Money Survival

Perfect Score: 8880 G (0-3700-370-370-0-370-0-370-1110-370-2220) with Kanbei (all defenses) and Hachi (cost reductions, defense partner, luck)

Btw, Champion Mode restarts after 255 maps cleared, as STL found, so it's the maximum possible.

The main difficult is to charge Hachi's power to barter.

The "bug" to use 9 powers (for each co) and complete a 10th in a map in order to use 2 tags in the next map allows to finish map 4 with 1 inf (instead of 2), map 8 with 1 inf (instead of a 770G inf...), map 10 with 1 inf (instead of 2) and of course for Grit's Gambit.
It wasnt useful with this team, but it could have been charged in map 2 (when acp is on the hq).
If you dont consider the money spent but the number of unities bought (for instance 1 mech is 3 unities), Hachi is the worst partner for Kanbei, because you always have to charge powers:
so the maximum number of unities needed by "near-invincible" Kanbei is 24. After a little calcul (24000*0.87) you'll see that 20880 G is the best score for most of the teams with Kanbei. And you can complete many cases of the chart!

The case of Colin is particular, thanks to his cost-reductions and his power of money.
First, you can save at least 0.8 at the beginning. Indeed i managed to charge colin's scop in map 1 with 5.2 inf (thanks repairing). After that map 2 can easily be done with 1 mech and 1 inf.
Besides, Grit's Gambit can be done with 1 mech and 2 inf (instead of 3), thanks to the power of money.
So finally you buy 22.2 unities, which mades a total score of : 14874 G for Colin and Kanbei.

It can also be interesting to look for the teams that can spend less that 20880 G.
Colin or Hachi are of course needed.
Drake, Von Bolt (if you are enough motivated to charge his power) and maybe Hawke are good candidates to make it.
The skills would be the cost reductions and the defenses, and the soul of hachi if you don't play with him.
I guess that they need around 30 unities (with the "bug" of course) to complete the mode, but it has to be checked...

Some advice:

Map 1: when you don't play with Kanbei, one inf (never more i think) is needed.
Map 2: if you have a good indirect attack, 1 art + 1 recon can be done. Without it, try to use a tank instead of the recon. And don't forget to charge powers!
Map 3: the double tag power (not needed by kanbei) change everything. Against Colin, the way is to catch the hq, because colin's units have difficulties to move in the forest (they can block themselves). Sasha's rocket is very important: it must kill your injured inf after catching the hq and also charge the bug.
Map 4: soul of hachi and 2 tag powers might allow you to make crazy scores, compared to the classical 2-recons strat. But it needs work...
Map 5: i think each co can finish it for free, if you move the eastern rocket to the west and use your piperunner as a lure.
Map 6: each co will need one inf, it's not very interesting.
Map 7: Here, you'll need a good defense to wait that Grimm's planes lose their fuel. But you can also buy in the northern front somewhat to attack them indirectly.
Map 8: 1 inf strat needs luck and capture skill without Kanbei. Try to keep one oozium in enemy base as long as possible, so nothing will be built;
Map 9: 2 main strats again: you can fly to the hq or kill them all (thanks to he com towers) and try to charge powers. In the 2 cases the misles will be very useful!
Map 10: Cover your piperunner! And don't forget to let one unit alive and one enemy base if you want to charge powers.
Grit's Gambit: The best map of the game... Just play it again and again until you understand Grit's spirit!

That's all, now i'm waiting for the challengers!

Edit: Thanks STL for pushing the game in its last limits... But will you try the Champion Run? :o

Edit 2: Wow.
Last edited by fcastro on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 am, edited 9 times in total.

samurai goroh

Re: Survival Challenges

Post by samurai goroh » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:38 pm

fcastro wrote:find the best scores with all teams. Maybe, i should make a chart for it.
Wouldn't you mean all the combinations? Or you actually meant the best score a CO can have with any partner?

I tried getting 85 maps on Championship Survival, but it's frustrating to get Eagle's power for map 3. I played several waves, but the closest I was away from triggering the power was killing an Infantry (I killed it on the 2nd day just to see how away I was...). If only map 10 wasn't that frustrating I would give it another try. I'll pass trying championship for a while...

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:58 am

Ok, i see that i'm only challenging myself but i improved the money map 10 and so edited the 1st post.
Money survival challenge may be too difficult because you always have to charge powers. Turn survival is more interesting, except of course the champion run which is very very difficult, did you exactly follow my strat samuraigoroh?
Other good scores in turn survival (find on the net, so i'm not sure they're the best for those COs):
Andy/Hawke: 23 turns?
Adder/Rachel: 25 turns
Javier/Koal: 28 turns

samurai goroh

Post by samurai goroh » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:35 pm

The closest I've got to charge Eagle's CO power for map 3 it was like damaging an Infantry. I will give it another try on April's vacations, because map 10 is VERY annoying, other maps are ok...

I think I could do 78 maps, as SterlingFalco, but why bother if I might get 85 with lots of patience...

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:50 pm

Money Survival theoretical (but based on many experiences!) scores:

Kanbei with Sami or lucky COs: 0-7-1-1-0-1-0-1-3-1-5. Total: 20 unities (the minimum) which makes a score of 20000*0.87=17400 G. Grit's Gambit may be improvable with Sami. Also with Grit, Kindle and Sonja, Kanbei gets 18270G.

Colin-Von Bolt: 0-10-1-1-0-1-0-1-3.6-2-?. Grit's Gambit can only be estimated, because charging Von Bolt's double tag is a nightmare. I would say around 7 unities, which would make a score of: 26600*0.67=17822 G.

Colin-Drake: 1-10-1-3-0-1-0-1-7-2-6? Total score: 32000*0.67=21440 G? Map 8 and map 10 (maybe map 4 too) should be improvable. Indeed it seems that hsheepro had a better strat, because he reached without double tag a score of 27470 G! (edit: after translating chinese guide from him, he indeed had better maps 8 and 10.)

It clearly seems that the teams able to compete with the "Kanbei family" (less than 21402 G) are only Colin/Hachi-Von Bolt and Hachi/Drake. Estimating the scores with Hachi is very, very hard because of his power, but is very interesting because it would give an idea of the "Drake family" and the "Von Bolt family"!
Last edited by fcastro on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:08 am, edited 7 times in total.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:22 am

this looks to be quite difficult.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Tue May 05, 2009 9:07 pm

I have a Challenge for u. Try to get 150 pts on Money Map 7 "Triple Threat" with the lowest amount of money u can get, meaning u must clear it in 13 days or less, u can use whatever CO u like and Skills but the Glitch to overcharge is NOT allowed.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Mon May 11, 2009 11:09 pm

Lol I don't play anymore. But that's always fun to imagine some strats!
If I play again I'll tell you my record...

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Mon May 11, 2009 11:25 pm

U don´t play AWDS anymore? Or do u mean u don´t play Survival anymore?

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue May 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Don't play at all. But yesterday I've tried your challenge and spent 6660G, did you beat it?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Tue May 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Well my idea gives 10720 but i might be able to cut it in half to 5360.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue May 12, 2009 9:46 pm

What's your idea? I think Nell is needed to defeat all Grimm's north units (SCOP then COP).
Then I need art to open HQ way and missles to cover central infs and have technic score.
Oh wait, do you think to Colin/Drake, you make central planes losing all their fuel then send mech with t-copter?
Eventually using Drake's COP twice... Ok, if you can save technic score.
What was your original idea?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 pm

SCOP then COP, great idea

My idea was Colin/Nell

Buy 2 Recons, use SCOP and kill the north Units, buy Mech and APC, kill the Piperunner and destroy the Pipe with Colin´s SCOP, then capture the HQ

My next idea is that u use Mistwalker, but i don´t know if Grimm attacks ur Infs then, u could get it with only Mech and APC that way.

Oh nvm i forgot that Tech is calculated like in War Room and not like in Campaign, meaning i must spend another 6030 G on Tech Infs, great job as usual fidel ;)

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed May 13, 2009 12:07 am

wow, congrats Fidel, you already perfected it :0

anything cheaper and you lose 2 Infs, making Tech impossible without spending more, and the Art is the best way to destroy the pipe, only a Colin's SCOP Mech could be better but you'd need the APC which costs more

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:24 am

I love programmers which only use minimum store place =O
I maxed out Money Champion, clearing Map 256 (which is Wave 24, Map 3) brings you back to Wave 1, Map 1, so 255 is the maximum
I hoped so much it only uses 1 byte but i didn´t really believe in it.
Last edited by -STL- on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:04 am

I'm speechless. Poor Sterlingfalco!

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm

not sure if anyone cares, but did you guys know Turn Survival M4 1 day can be done without Eagle? on Cyberscore everyone uses Eagle, lol

funnily, Sasha can get it but Colin can't, Sasha ends up having far more money than any money CO thanks to SCOP

the COs I've found that can do it are Hachi, Sasha, Koal and Adder (money+movement basically)

if a 1HP BC can suicide on either an Inf/Mech/Recon then Rachel is also possible, and she would make Grit possible too, but the suicide isn't happening for me… Rachel/Andy would also be possible if 1HP BC can suicide on Plains Recon

M5 is another map where everyone uses Eagle, except for one guy using Olaf/Drake…

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:16 am

Btw i never checked the other teams in Turn Survival but some questions.
Have you ever fully confirmed the 18 Eagle/Andy?
Then the 3rd best team should indeed be Jugger/Koal, what are their splits? 4-4-4-2-2-1-2-2-3-4-2?
Could they maybe get 18 too by getting 3 days in m3 or m10 with some crazy suicides or something?
Then there must be a mistake in the list Rachel/Nell is A LOT better team than Jugger/Kindle, they only be faster but certainly not slower than them.
So Rachel/Nell must get 20 too if Jugger/Kindle can.

QWERTYman

Post by QWERTYman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:02 pm

well, i'm still new to this.
but i would like to find the lowest amount necessary for rachel and jake combo.
if someone could help me with improving it.(no glitches)

my work per map till now:
#1:870: 1 inf
#2:8700: 1 arty, 1 recon
#3:27840(wip): 2 arty, 2 recon
#4:6960: 2 recon, 1 :super: tag
#5:0: straight out troll map
#6:8570(wip): 1 recon, 1 inf, 1 apc
#7:6290(wip): 1 bomber, 1 apc
#8:5220(wip): 6 inf
#9:6090(wip): 2 inf,1 tcopter
#10-11: not judged cause my ds battery died
total for now: 70540 + cost of 10-11

nicest thing about this list, is that i didnt look up a guide and thought this up myself :D
i just really like this vid.
Spoiler: show
[youtube]N1mWvRjzgiY[/youtube]

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm

How outdated is this thread? OP still says 17 turns is the best in Turn Survival.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:16 pm

ALAKTORN wrote:How outdated is this thread? OP still says 17 turns is the best in Turn Survival.
Last edited by fcastro on December 13th, 2010, 2:42 am, edited 9 times in total.
So, 4-ish years!
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:07 am

Oh, damn haha.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:46 am

Seeing this thread reminds me that I've done a few 150-point one CO, no skills Money Survival runs, with an overall S-Rank. It may be the most interesting Survival mode to do that in.

I remember doing it with Kanbei, Sasha, and Grimm. The last mission is always the most annoying one to get 150 on, mainly because you can't restart it if you save partway through without restarting the whole run. Even if you blow a whole bunch of money on it, getting the 150 is tough.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt