C20- Waylon Flies Again

Paralysed by Von Bolt? Kindle caning you? Ask for help on all Advance Wars games here.
Guesty

C20- Waylon Flies Again

Post by Guesty » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:25 am

Any general idea for what I should do in the mission? What style of play should I be doing at the beginning and middle?

Waylon has way too many units, so how should I deal with them?
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 am

Retreat. Your first priority is securing the production facilities. Let Tasha cover the air units until you can get a Fighter and support from your force at your HQ.
What can change the nature of a man?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:54 am

Get Will in an anti-air over to the center ASAP. Get the bases first, then the airports (you have a mech that's ready to capture the airport, use it to capture the west base instead). The AI will stupidly send its air-to-air units flying around even after you don't have any air units; typically around your HQ. They'll probably run out of fuel and crash if you deploy your anti-airs and tanks right. If you're not building anything from your northernmost base, go with the old standby: mech spam.

It's an annoying mission but not difficult if you play on the AI's weaknesses. You shouldn't lose any of the cities in the center if you're quick enough.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:35 am

I left an anti-air in the middle and kept it out of range of the bomber. Not sure if it did much, but it did keep it from advancing on my base.

Do as the Guest here said, and you'll be right. Any problems in particular?

Your first post is 100% Guesty material. Ambiguous and hopelessly open-ended.
Good to have you back ;)

Guesty

Post by Guesty » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks, Kiltman.

The problem is, Waylon starts with too many units and I start with hardly any at all. He's freaking impossible to take down. I haven't actually failed yet, but I'm nearly always at a disadvantage. Just as I push him back, he manages to damage most of my units. He covers his units so well that every time I try to make an offensive, I always get hurt badly.

The mountain range makes land units take 5 or so days to get to the middle. Grr.
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:02 am

Just keep going. Eventually, your stream of units will be able to defeat his, so anti-airs, strong tanks and indirect units will definately help. Grab as many bases as possible.

These missions take a lot of trial and error, but aren't actually that hard to clear with a decent rank. Take your time, do it over and over and over again.

Seniwac

Post by Seniwac » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 am

Use the two infantries closest to Waylon and the AAir as bait. They will buy you some time to retreat with the bike and your two infantries in the mountains to capture. Then, let Tasha's forces handle the rest. To stop air units from raiding your base, build alot of missles. Rockets will help deal with occasional tanks that he sends. This mission is long, so be patient.

I beat it in 39 days with a S rank.

Gabriel

Re: C20- Waylon Flies Again

Post by Gabriel » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:18 pm

to get the bomber in 1 shot, as opposite dtaekim's FAQ, move your eastern mech 2S instead, and then 2s again, into the forest. i believe i found this myself. ask stl how to get 2 of his interceptors go all the way west. may be best to co a mega tank, especially with the last strat i mentioned. by the way, 2014 is the time.