I've got a problem.

Paralysed by Von Bolt? Kindle caning you? Ask for help on all Advance Wars games here.
Mihawk

I've got a problem.

Post by Mihawk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Ok I was playing AW1 campaign in an attempt to S-Rank every mission (and unlock Eagle). Had trouble again with Gunfighter! but managed to S-Rank it again after some retries. Last mission I did yesterday was Mighty Kanbei, which I just cannot beat (in any reasonably good enough way) with Max, but finally managed to un-perfect S-Rank with Andy and I realized that I have problems in choosing what units to deploy. In both of these missions a more appropriate units deployment leaded to a relatively easy S-Rank.

So yeah I am asking for advice on what units should I buy? I realize there is no exact answer, but some general advice would help.

Anyway (the previous part of this was written a couple days ago) I am now against Sturm in the final battle and managed to S-Rank everything until now. Had some serious truoble with Wings of Victory with Sami, that was surely the hardest mission to S-rank.
My team is Max, Andy, Eagle. The battle goes like this: day 1 units advance, day 2 crush air units, try to get the Meteor Strike where I want to but usually failing (here I'd need some advice) and lose like all of Andy's units but three >_> , day 3 is usually a rather slow day, day 4 I get the upper hand but then on day 5 I get another meteor strike that makes useless the attack force that got me the upper hand the day before.

Even at a slow pace like this I think I'd meet the speed limit, but the technique requirement would be really difficult, like I said Andy's units get crushed, and this also hinders my chances of meeting the power requirement. So how do I defend against Sturm's invasion? If I advance with my mid tanks... they get crushed by the many copters Sturm has and the units behind break in my territory, If I don't advance he's the one advancing, and this is bad, isn't it?
Lastly my fear of the meteor strike seriously slows down Eagle because he has got many high-value air units and putting them too close makes for a certain meteor strike, and this slowliness may also be the reason why Andy gets beaten so bad >_>
Yu-gi-oh! anime copies F-Zero.

-STL-

Re: I've got a problem.

Post by -STL- » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Eagle and Max is the best team so you won´t have it hard. The important thing is that you have Eagle, he will do most of the job.
Advance with Eagle´s Air Units as much as you can. On Day 2 you should take out most of Sturm´s Air Force. Reload until they all moved into your range.
Don´t worry about Sturm´s COP, spam Mechs with Andy and keep them near your Bases. Sturm makes 3 potential targets for each of your armies (i think it will go for the highest HP damage not money damage but i´m not sure of it), so save before Sturm uses it and reload until it hit Andy.

Anyway here´s a guide to rout Sturm in 6 days, it uses Grit and Eagle so you will have an even easier time.
http://www.awrevival.netfirms.com/nc/gae/gae.htm

Fidel managed to rout The Final Battle in 5 days with Eagle and Max.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:41 am

I found that a useful trick is to let Sturm take the airport in Andy's area. Then, if you've taken out his air forces, he'll usually just keep building Bombers from there. Blow them up before they move, and he's wasted big piles of money, making it easier to invade his territory.

Plus, if Andy destroys it, that's another unit going towards his Power score. Six units in one turn should be enough.

The downside is that you don't get to use that airport for your Technique spamming, so you have to make sure you don't lose too many units with Andy. I think I was able to make up for 10 lost units, but I don't remember exactly.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Mihawk

Post by Mihawk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 pm

OK thanks guys. Actually I somehow understood by myself that I had to spam mechs, but still Eagle got hit by the first meteor strike, 2 fighters and a bomber :\ so in the end it took him a while to become really useful, but I was able to be pretty solid with Andy and I saved on day 8 in a pretty good situation, then read these posts. From that save I got a 17 days finish first, and an A rank, With only the technique being full score, then I retried and finished in 14 days (nearly 13, he only had a md tank with 4 hp) and got full score everywhere but on power, I guess I destroyed only 5 in one day.
Anyway I didn't bother reloading too much when things weren't too bad and since I was already on day 8 when I saw this I didn't let him take the airport, I will try next time. Now I started an AC file.

Anyway I would still like some advice about building units, I usually make somewhat bad choices as I will be always laking something sooner or later. After I try to be creative (lol...) with my units I usually end up spamming tanks everyturn with a md tank sometime to win, but let's say that my opponent makes a copter, I'd need an anti-air, but it gets easily destroyed by anything else and I don't want to retreat just to get everything in place to destroy a single copter >_>

Happy birthday by the way.
Yu-gi-oh! anime copies F-Zero.

alexadam1212

Post by alexadam1212 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:52 pm

lol,nice post,i met the same problem recently,but now soloved,thanks

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Mihawk wrote:Ok I was playing AW1 campaign in an attempt to S-Rank every mission (and unlock Eagle). Had trouble again with Gunfighter! but managed to S-Rank it again after some retries. Last mission I did yesterday was Mighty Kanbei, which I just cannot beat (in any reasonably good enough way) with Max, but finally managed to un-perfect S-Rank with Andy and I realized that I have problems in choosing what units to deploy. In both of these missions a more appropriate units deployment leaded to a relatively easy S-Rank.

So yeah I am asking for advice on what units should I buy? I realize there is no exact answer, but some general advice would help.THERES AN EXACT ANSWER.YOULL GET ALL AND I MEAN ALL ANSWERS IN HEAVEN.SEEK GOD,HE DOES MIRACLES AND NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLR WITH HIM.ANDY:BUY AS MANY ROCKETS AS POSSIBLE,BLOCK THE TIGHT SPOTS WITH MD TANKS ASAP (dont forget to attack with the tanks) AND KEEP THEM BLOCKED TILL ITS SAFE TO ADVANCE. CAP CITYES ASAP. HIT HIS MD TANKS FIRST,PREFERABLY WITH ROCKETS BUT MD TANKS IF ITS AFFORDABLE.EXCEPT IF YOUR ROCKETS ARE IN SRS DANGER. MINIMIZE CASUALTIES.or use something like aw revival.max;same, exCept buy as many md tanks as possible, IF and only if its better than buying rockets.

Anyway (the previous part of this was written a couple days ago) I am now against Sturm in the final battle and managed to S-Rank everything until now. Had some serious truoble with Wings of Victory with Sami, that was surely the hardest mission to S-rank.
My team is Max, Andy, Eagle. BEST TEAM.The battle goes like this: day 1 units advance, day 2 crush air units, try to get the Meteor Strike where I want to but usually failing (here I'd need some advice)USE AW REVIVAL OR GROUP UNITS LIKE MECHS, TANKS, APCS,TCOP CLOSE TOGETHER FAR ENOUGH AWAY FROM YOUR OTHER UNITS THAT YOU WANT TO USE. AVOID USING TANKS FOR THIS IF POSSIBLE, BEST TO USE THE OTHERS, AND REMEMBER THAT YOU SHOULD ONLY USE UNITS FOR THIS THAT YOURE WILLING TO TRASH,EXCEPT IF YOULL USE ANDYS POWER AND/OR (preferably AND)PLACE THOSE UNITS ON BASES BEFORE THEYRE HIT and lose like all of Andy's units but three >_> , day 3 is usually a rather slow day, day 4 I get the upper hand but then on day 5 I get another meteor strike that makes useless the attack force that got me the upper hand the day before.HOW DID YOU GET THE UPPER HAND THE DAY BEFORE WHEN YOU SAY DAY 2 WAS RUINED IN YOUR ATTEMPT(S)?

Even at a slow pace like this I think I'd meet the speed limit, but the technique requirement would be really difficult, like I said Andy's units get crushed, and this also hinders my chances of meeting the power requirement. So how do I defend against Sturm's invasion?ALREADY EXPLAINED If I advance with my mid tanks... they get crushed by the many copters Sturm has and the units behind break in my territory, If I don't advance he's the one advancing, and this is bad, isn't it?YES
Lastly my fear of the meteor strike seriously slows down Eagle NO REASON TO SLOW DOWN YOUR ADVANCE IF YOU GET HIT ANYWAY because he has got many high-value air units and putting them too close makes for a certain meteor strike, and this slowliness may also be the reason why Andy gets beaten so badDEPENDS ON HOW YOU MOVE ANDY AND MAX >_>
[font size=9]2014 is the time[/font size] how to use font size?