So what do you guys normally do with damaged units?

Paralysed by Von Bolt? Kindle caning you? Ask for help on all Advance Wars games here.
RockNRoll.Sturm

So what do you guys normally do with damaged units?

Post by RockNRoll.Sturm » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:44 am

For me, I like to apply pressure and getting on the offensive as soon as I can. As a result, I'm more reliant on direct units, and I end up with a lot of units that are worn down by counter attacks or positioned to purposefully suffer attacks to hold ground. Joining is a really useful ability for me in this case, because it allows me to recycle or remove damaged units from the front line. This keeps my army healthy and also frees up space for reinforcements, as opposed to having units in the back do nothing while units in front are half dead.

Consequently, as Join requires using the same unit type in order to join, I spam a lot of units of the same type, so my armies tend to be only Infantry and Tanks. I end up not going for indirects, because my style is very aggressive and my indirects end up repositioning themselves too often. I also do not get the higher tiered tanks often, as they are much more impractical to maintain than regular Tanks (they will get deployed for dealing with strong blockades, but regular Tanks can still work fine if there is enough space).

I have been throwing the subject around here and there in the IRC, and it is interesting to hear the different methods that players have found for using damaged units (and their opinions on Join). Particularly in AWDoR, there is incentive to join in certain cases and even uses for units that are already heavily damaged in other cases. Sometimes in AW2 or AWDS weakened units would be intentionally left for destruction to waste enemy attacks and quickly get CO charge in return, or to pin a unit down and prevent it from moving.
O_O

shoe-sama

Re: So what do you guys normally do with damaged units?

Post by shoe-sama » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:07 pm

10 hp 100/100 tank + 1 hp 180/180 tank = 10 hp 180/180 tank
CO units and leveled up units really like joining lol

It's also fun to use them as blockers in the older games.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:52 am

I didn't mean to procrastinate for so long on my reply to this topic!

I personally like to use damaged units as suicides to make 3hkos that blandies usually can't do possible. Damaged tanks though should really be pulled back and healed though - they're too useful to let die in a mere sacrifice, and they don't make for good suicide units.

I only really think DoR joining is worth it - voluntarily lowering your unit presence on the front lines generally doesn't sit well with me, and that's what you do with joining.

RockNRoll.Sturm

Post by RockNRoll.Sturm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:04 am

No worries :)

I'm not sure about how one would do the 3hkos that you are describing here. Would you mind giving an example?

As for joining in general, I think it can still be worthwhile in general for AW, but it depends on the situation and the units involved. I imagine non-air directs have the greatest dependence on joining, as they have the greatest constraints for occupying space.

For instance, in narrow areas or choke-points, having more units does not necessarily mean having a better presence (particularly for non-air directs like tanks). Having a strong front line is important, but now your front line is defined by the one or two units that are blocking the opponent, and the other units that are stuck behind won't do much to prevent the opponent's advance (outside of being a threat when they do push through, but that's not a tangible defense). At this point, if there are no properties or not enough properties that are close enough to repair my tanks, I would do one of two things to preserve my front line: a. pull back a damaged tank and leave it nearby to join with another tank later, or b. immediately join a tank in the back to a tank in the front.

I might resort to these methods in the event that there are a lot of units on the field as well, when there isn't enough space for every tank to contribute to the front line. Unless I screw up my production cycles or move units to the wrong places, I should have a steady stream of units coming in for the most part, so I should always have something ready to join. Perhaps that is too idealistic?

BTW, when I say front line in this post I'm thinking of my units that can immediately attack the opponent's units. Indirects can be covered by this definition but only temporarily, depending on how often the front lines are moving around.
O_O

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm

4hp inf can suicide against full hp inf on cities then two full hp inf can kill that city inf. a fabulous KO that before was out of reach for only infantry. it's most relevant if you already have a lead and are just trying to get more ahead.

chokes don't really exist on any good map played, at least not one square wide ones you may possibly be imagining. two squares wide i can agree with, but then usually you have your own (identical) choke on a symmetric map, and that requires four vehicles in play to actually choke up to the point where you're running out of room...

as far as i can see unit trades happen too quickly in AWDS for it to become a problem.

pulling a unit back and retreating gets you another attack ~3 days in the future. i understand the desire to join but i've always felt it to be terribly awkward in practice, your damaged units are usually right next to the unit that attacked them. sure sometimes there's another square you can attack from but that's getting into super theory land.

the problem is you have to pull that damaged unit back, i guess you could repair another unit that's just attacked but that's already asking for 3 vehicles of the same type on a single front... it asks for a full attack commitment

bleh i dunno

not pretending as though if joining should be VERBOTEN, just that it's really the long term risk slightly delayed reward option for damaged units, whereas suiciding is long term risk immediate reward, and healing up is medium term risk long term reward.

the situations you describe are perfect for joining, i just never really see them :/

samurai goroh

Post by samurai goroh » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:41 am

Join is an overlooked option that has its advantages.
  1. Joining units will allow you to deploy more units once you hit the 50 mark
  2. Joining units will sum their Gas, Rounds & Hp, this is a good way to refill if you don't have an APC (or city, port, HQ...) nearby
  3. If you join units & the resulting HP is over 10, the fraction of the cost of the unit goes to your pocket. This is really helpful when you're a bit short to buy a vital unit.
  4. Joining will help you free some squares that can be used for other units to be placed.
  5. Joining units will help you indirectly with the technique, allowing your unit to take a hit and survive (when possible, of course). This is helpful if you're the one causing a bottle neck & your unit takes some damage & can't change places with other units.
Suiciding is another option that can be done with damaged units:
  1. Lets you soften the enemy, a perfect example is the map called Red Heart from AW:DS
  2. Suiciding is also helpful to free some space for other units (again for positioning better your units)

Kilian18

Post by Kilian18 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:15 am

I also often use direct units cause i try to get some land in the early game, so after deploying some infantry in the first turns, i start building tanks or recons if i haven't got enough money, if theres a jokepoint that i can use, I build a mixture of artillery and tanks, but if there isn't, I always build the best tank avaiable(mixed with copters an anti air if an airport is there). My tactic also ends up in getting damaged units. I'm not a big fan of suicide actions (even if i sometimes do) So I often join or repair my units. This depends often on which co i have and if there are some allied cities around. whenever i've got the possibility to repair units i will do so, but i sometimes end up in repairing 5 units at the same time(if there are enough cities around) and this drains a lot on my money. However if theres no free allied city nearby i will try to join them, using distance weapons is nearly always useful, even I don't like them cause it takes a lot of time to get the right position and cover them from the enemy, where a tank can rush in directly after being deployed (if there is a base near the frontline). It's far more difficult to use them but they are really useful after being placed right (and remember: in the hands of a pro, even max's artillery is a deadly weapon!)

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:27 pm

repair and get my unit back asap (mostly asap, sometimes its better to heal it more and get it back in war at the RIGHT time), unless i can finish off the enemy with a dmg unit but if i finish them off and it's cheaper than mine, i mustn't lose mine at all, same if price is equal, if i finish off a pricier unit, then its worth it no matter what happens to my UNIT. Rarely, it can be necessary to delete my unit. i could also get help from god on this dilemma/situation. and as samurai goroh said, i also would use joining and sacrificing (you dont have to include the word suicide on this forum; and this t9 dictionary i use now doesn't even have the word to write semi-automatically, if you know what i mean) because of the reasons he WROTE (not SAID), plus, it can be better to sacrifice instead of delete, and the other way around. you could also use dmg units as blockers/meat-shield.