3 Day Pincer Strike Guide - NC and HC (56k Warning)

Paralysed by Von Bolt? Kindle caning you? Ask for help on all Advance Wars games here.
RadioShadow

3 Day Pincer Strike Guide - NC and HC (56k Warning)

Post by RadioShadow » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:12 am

Pincer Strike - Normal Campaign and Hard Campaign

Normal Campaign Map

Hard Campaign Map

COs to use:

Orange Star

- Anyone

Blue Moon:

NC - Sami/Sonja :samids: / :sonjads: (Sami needs to be on level 6 with Pathfinder, Prairie
Dog and Star Power)

HC - Sami/Adder :samids: / :adderds: (Sami needs to be on level 6 with Pathfinder, Prairie
Dog and Star Power)

Black Hole COs You Vs

- Jugger and Clone Drake :jugger: / :drakeds:

Day 1

Orange Star

- Do nothing

Blue Moon

- Move north Mech 2 east

- Move Loaded APC 4 east and drop Infantry north
Image Image

- Move both Medium Tanks 3 east
Image Image

- Move NeoTank 4 east, 2 south

- Move right Tank 3 south

- Move remaining Tank 3 east

- Move both Recons 4 south, 1 east
Image Image

- Move Artillery 4 south, 1 east

- Move Rockets, 1 east, 3 south

- Move Anti-Air 3 south

- Move remaining Mech 2 south

Black Hole (computer)

- Attacks your units randomly

Day 2

Orange Star

- Do nothing

Blue Moon

- Load north Mech into APC

- Move APC 1 north, 5 east and drop east
Image Image

- Attack enemy’s units

- Switch to Sonja/Adder :sonjads: / :adderds:

Black Hole (computer)

- Attacks your units randomly

Day 3

Orange Star

- Do nothing

Blue Moon

- Use Tag Power

- Save

- Move North Mech 1 south, 1 east.

If a Tank is preventing the Mech from capturing HQ after you switch to Sami then reload the Save and move Mech 2 east instead.
Image Image

- Attack units

- Switch to Sami :samids:

- Destroy remaining units

- Capture HQ with Mech
Image Image
Last edited by RadioShadow on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:07 am, edited 11 times in total.

Kevlin

Post by Kevlin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:18 am

I recommend this for a sticky, Pincer Strike is always posted by people asking for help on it.
If you toss a coin 19 times and they all are heads, what would it probably land on the 20th time?

EskimoConvntion

Post by EskimoConvntion » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:26 am

It doesn't work. every time i get blown up by the rocket and battleship.
I'm incapable of any such thing. Ninjas are heartless killers. >_>
However, if you want, I will set up a stand and distribute cookies.- kireato

Radio Shadow

Post by Radio Shadow » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:33 pm

EskimoConvntion wrote:It doesn't work. every time i get blown up by the rocket and battleship.
It does work. Loads of people have tried it and the say it works 100%. Make sure you follow the instrutions and look at the pictures if unsure what units to move. Also make sure Sami uses the forces I suggested.

You units get blown up is the idea since you need to get you star gauge filled up. The only thing that must not get destroyed is the Mech and the APC since. On day 3 you use your tag power to move the Mech towards the HQ. Swap to Sami and capture HQ.

Hope that solve the problem.

EskimoConvntion

Post by EskimoConvntion » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:29 am

no, not really. either the battleship blows up my HQ bound mech, or an enemy mech goes onto their HQ

EskimoConvntion

Post by EskimoConvntion » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:40 am

ok, i got it to work. but if you attack the wrong units, different triggers are triggered and the game reacts differently. you should say what units to attack

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:55 am

EskimoConvntion wrote:ok, i got it to work. but if you attack the wrong units, different triggers are triggered and the game reacts differently. you should say what units to attack
The Ai moves/attacks units randomly which makes it impossible to do that. It should not make a diffrent what units you attack.

As long as the Mech that is captruing the HQ does not get blow up then you will be fine. Every time I have done that level the Ai does not attack the north Mech.

Anyway. Tomorrow I will be adding the HC Pincer Strike Map and correcting a few errors.

EagleM

Post by EagleM » Wed May 03, 2006 8:50 pm

O MY GOD IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great!

Post by Guest » Fri May 05, 2006 4:46 am

Ace, man, it works. Thanks bro.

Urza

Post by Urza » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:33 pm

RadioShadow: That's Awesome! I always ended up getting the most horrible scores on this map, and now I can actually get something good! Its cool that this owrks. This really should be stickied, as Pincer strike is one of the most annoying maps on the campaign (behind Crystal Calamity (they always use their tag and get a missle) and maybe the Olaf clone battle on Hard).
Johnny Damon is going to hell.
pic. by Sasquatch

nmlssone

Post by nmlssone » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:46 am

n00b question - How did you do the screens?

GBA Emulator + modded AW2 rom?

But isn't the AW:DS AI different than the AW2? (Never played AW2, only AW1 and AW:DS)

And how did you use forces and tags in AW2?

It must be a pretty big mod hm?
~nmlssone
"Studies have shown that if Abercrombie and Finch models said that by not breathing people could look just leik them, 99% of American girls between the ages of 12 and 20 would be dead."

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:35 am

I would imagine that Radio would have had his DS side by side and edited a map and updated as he went.

Regardless, it would have been rather tedious work to make it up.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

nmlssone

Post by nmlssone » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:34 am

updated as he went...???

You're joking right?!?!

And how could he have black boats, megatanks, and etc. in an un-modded AW2?
~nmlssone
Last edited by nmlssone on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Studies have shown that if Abercrombie and Finch models said that by not breathing people could look just leik them, 99% of American girls between the ages of 12 and 20 would be dead."

Guesty

Post by Guesty » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:36 am

I think what Xen's saying is that while RS had his DS and tried it, he copied both people's actions to the AW2 ROM. He had both players as human on the AW2 ROM, so no AI issues here.
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

nmlssone

Post by nmlssone » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:44 am

Still doesn't explain the MTs and BBs...
~nmlssone

Guesty

Post by Guesty » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:49 am

I guess he just sprited them in or something.
I don't really know
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

nmlssone

Post by nmlssone » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:21 pm

The solving of this mystery will be postponed until...

Until...

The author of this thread comes back from where the hell he/she is! =P
~nmlssone

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:47 am

nmlssone wrote:n00b question - How did you do the screens?

GBA Emulator + modded AW2 rom?

But isn't the AW:DS AI different than the AW2? (Never played AW2, only AW1 and AW:DS)

And how did you use forces and tags in AW2?

It must be a pretty big mod hm?
~nmlssone
I'm male by the way. :P

I was also playing F-Zero GX and unlocked LILY. YAY. 'Dances'

Anyway:

To make those I used the following things:

Visualboyadvance - GBA Emulator

GBA Rom - With Sami's and Flaks stats edited

Roma-eum AW Map Maker software

Microsoft Paint

To make the full scale maps I used Romu-emu map maker (can be found at advancewarsnet.com). I then went and edited the AW2 rom so Sami's Infantry were neufed and all her units had -1 movement across terrain. Also Flak's luck was edited too.

I then went and made the map and played the rom. At each staged I went and captured a screenshot of what units to move.

For the screenshots that contained BB and MT, I just edited them in the created screenshots using MP. I used the unit sprites from Roma map maker.

Some screenshots were cleverly created on DAY 1 e.g. the rain pictures even know you can' tell. :P

I just played the map one day and what every the AI did, I did on the AW2 rom.

Yes the AI is more random in AWDS which means it does not matter where the enemy places his units/which units the AI attacks/the ones you attack.

The main task of this guide is to get both CO gauges full and with the Infantry you must capture the enemy's HQ when tag power is activated.

Hope this has answered your questions.
Last edited by RadioShadow on Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:52 am

That was a lot of work just to give us a visual representation. Thanks for taking the time. It's quite amazing.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:56 am

I suppose this constitutes bumping a really old thread (the last reply was over 1 year ago), but I believe it's interesting enough material.

The equivalent of this 3-day HQ capture can be done without Skills/Forces rather reliably, and still with a 300-pt. S-Rank. The COs? Sami, of course, but the second CO is one most probably wouldn't think to pair with her - Lash.

However, Lash makes an excellent choice here. Her Prime Tactics lets her preloaded infantry in the APC zip through the mountainous barrier and into either of the northern forests 5 spaces away from the enemy HQ - where Sami's Victory March movement takes over to roundabout the tank. (Needless to say, the APC drops the infantry as far as possible on Day 2, next to the landlocked battleship.)

(RadioShadow's maps reproduced here for reference)
Image Image

You can lose up to 5 units without any Orange Star production for full Technique. (I've lost as little as 1 on occasion.) The Dual Strike makes it simple to satisfy the Power requirement as well. (One can probably destroy all 8 of the northwestern rockets, artillery, and anti-air units, but 7 of them is the highest I can confidently recall doing - more than enough for either Campaign difficulty.)

The somewhat tricky part is charging the Tag Power by Day 3, but Sami and Lash even can sometimes have their Dual Strike fully charged at the end of the enemy's turn on Day 2 if played right (but Lash can of course still attack during Day 3 to fully charge it). Sami leads at the end of Day 1 and Lash at the end of Day 2.

I've only had a chance to perform this directly on the Campaign map, but as the Hard Campaign changes are negligible I'd assume it'd work there as well.

-Translucent Air

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:27 am

That's a definite improvement.
What can change the nature of a man?

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:04 am

I guess it is; even though I came up with the win in less than an hour of looking at the map and toying around, I'm not sure I would have been able to come up with this a year and a half ago. If I remember the history of the save file correctly, this was the mission at which I stopped while attempting a minimum days Campaign run.

Oddly enough, I'm actually reacquainting myself with the exact particulars of the COs. When I initially achieved this, I was under the assumption that Sami needed a full HP infantry to capture in 1 turn with Victory March; so while I was validating the 3-day win and decided to just go with it after an artillery had attacked the infantry, I was rather pleasantly surprised when capturing ended the mission.

Meanwhile, I've restarted a minimum days (AW:DS) Campaign run, following Dragon Fogel's reconnect with me for his impressive "Land's End" (AW1) strategy. (I was planning on using it as practice to join up in the High Scores topic before you two ended it as quickly as you started it.) Besides this chance abnormality, I've since slowly made it to completion of "Verdant Hills" with full day-to-day walkthroughs for each mission, though I am having trouble getting Lash to cooperate in "Lash's Test" for reproduction of the 5-day Dual Strike win with Sensei/Grimm.

The minimum times (with lab maps obtained when applicable) I've recorded are as follows:

Jake's Trial - 3 days
The New Black - 4 days
Max Attacks - 4 days
Reclaim the Skies - 2 days
Neverending War - 7 days
The Ocean Blue - 3 days
Fog Rolls In - 5 days
Tag Battle - 7 days
Victory or Death! - 4 days
Black Boats Ahoy! - 4 days
The Long March - 5 days
Lightning Strikes - 7 days (winning the second front in 6 days)
Frozen Fortress - 6 days
Lash's Test - 5 days
Verdant Hills - 4 days

Back to the original topic, as you're allowed Koal and Adder in Hard Campaign, you could pair either of them up with Sami and use the same strategy then, but you must use Lash for the 3-day win in Campaign - though she's probably still the better choice overall in Hard Campaign as well. As additional miscellany, one can even charge Sami and Eagle's Earth and Sky without the use of Star Power by Day 3, though it doesn't help much as Eagle's powers don't place the infantry far enough to capture the HQ.

-Translucent Air

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:41 am

Max Attacks in four days? Did you aim for a rout?

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:05 pm

Yes, it's a rout. That I'm sure I had all the way back before my initial minimum days run. I believe I had the times for "The Ocean Blue" and "Fog Rolls In" and maybe "Lightning Strike" (but likely without the second front) back then as well.

To elaborate on "Max Attacks," though, allied units can be arranged so the black bomb only attacks two battle copters that later join together. From then on, Max's troops can totally surround and entrap Lash's forces given favorable but usual movement on the AI side. Thereon in, it's basically utter disaster for Lash.

-Translucent Air

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:46 pm

I'm going to revisit Max Attacks then, because I was going for a Campaign walkthrough as well. I'm currently stuck on Neverending War, because I can't devise a quick strategy for that Md. Tank.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:03 am

You can add to the list:

Snow Hunters - 5 days

Getting the lab map within minimum time was a major chore. Not only must one decoy a piperunner on both consecutive capture days, but one must also sidestep Hawke's Black Wave to avoid slowing the capture, even though the mission is essentially geared towards granting him use of his CO Power. The use of a well-timed CO Power from either Jess or Grimm avoids the HP drain. Jess's extra movement allows her to minimize minicannon damage while Grimm presses his attack power to the fullest in the worst case.

As for "Neverending War," you're probably doing this already, but the in-game dialogue is solid advice, though perhaps untimely late.
Rachel wrote:So first we produce an artillery unit and deploy it near the upper bridge. Then we send an armored unit, like a tank, to the city at the end of the bridge.
Also, if you're not already doing so, I'd also suggest focusing on the southern front as little as possible, if not totally ignoring it.

-Translucent Air

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:17 am

So it can be done without forces. I might give that a go.

Good find Translucent Air. Guide needs updating.

Darknesszavala

Re: 3 Day Pincer Strike Guide - NC and HC (56k Warning)

Post by Darknesszavala » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:41 am

Um... Does that map at the top work on the Ds version of Pinser strikes.... Cause What I noticed was that the machines don't move as much as you say they do...

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:18 pm

The map displayed is a recreation because we don't have an AWDS map tool.

Secondly, the AI is somewhat random at times, it might take a few attempts to get the exact play they did.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Darknesszavala

Post by Darknesszavala » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:11 am

Oh... Really?? Oh well thank you very much for your help.