Crystal Calamity NC

Paralysed by Von Bolt? Kindle caning you? Ask for help on all Advance Wars games here.
HelpMeh

Crystal Calamity NC

Post by HelpMeh » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:56 pm

I just can't stop them from using tag powers to get the silos... :(

Harken)The)Her0

Hm...

Post by Harken)The)Her0 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:30 pm

If your having problems with OS, then use Grimm/Sensei. Use your pre-deployed units + 1 b-copter to take out the Megatank coming at you. Then build a T-copter with a infant in it, and transport it to the farthest to the left silo. Then you should have any problems. Just hold off at the chokepoint for OS.

Blue Moon needs to take out the MD tank, and you must get to the silo on the island. I'd use Colin/Javiar, so just rush down and capture the towers and base. Once the Black Cannon is gone, you can shoot the Obilisk with a rocket.

Green Earth should have Jess/Jake, or Colin/Hawke. Use build lots of A-air, and get to the silos. I don't see how people have problems with Green Earth. :P

I got a low A, but good luck.

Noooo

Post by Noooo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:30 am

It's the tag power. It burns. They smash my unit to pieces and then capture the silo, not to mention the fact that Koal's infantry move five spaces during his power.

Harken)The)Her0

Thats my point!

Post by Harken)The)Her0 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:45 am

Noooo wrote:It's the tag power. It burns. They smash my unit to pieces and then capture the silo, not to mention the fact that Koal's infantry move five spaces during his power.

You gotta get the silo farthest to the left for OS. Then park A-Air/B-copters on the silos for GE, and BM should take out the MD tank before they use the tag.
BRAWLIN'!

miracle

Post by miracle » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:14 am

i follow one rule first: alway's get the silos first.
>_>...<_<...jackoff...

Harken)The)Her0

Hm.

Post by Harken)The)Her0 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:51 am

miracle wrote:i follow one rule first: alway's get the silos first.

I disagree. Silos aren't your main objective for GE.
BRAWLIN'!

x0_000

Re: Hm...

Post by x0_000 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:55 am

Harken)The)Her0 wrote:If your having problems with OS, then use Grimm/Sensei. Use your pre-deployed units + 1 b-copter to take out the Megatank coming at you.

I recommend building 3 recons to get rid of its ammo.

Harken)The)Her0 wrote:Green Earth should have Jess/Jake, or Colin/Hawke. Use build lots of A-air, and get to the silos. I don't see how people have problems with Green Earth. :P

Use Sasha if you're afraid of a Tag Power.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:45 pm

Huh? the megatank can be destroyed with just your pre-deployed units. Move the artillery as far as possible into the forest first turn, then when the megatank comes into range open fire with the artillery and move in and attack with the Md tank. Easy peasy.

As for the tag breaks, an alternative strategy is to trick Kindle into using Urban Blight - like Gold Rush and Tsunami, Urban Blight has an insanely high priority for the AI. Provided Kindle has somewhere between three and three and a half stars charged (and she's in front) she'll use that rather than continuing to save for the tag break.

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:15 pm

Just use Sasha if you are worrying about Tag Breaks. I just rushed to the missiles first with all the armies and had the Black Hole Cannon destroyed earlier. I used Max in GE and used a Max Force Stealth Bomber to destroy the obelisk. Just make sure you use the silo that's the farthest away from OS. I got a high B Rank though.

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:17 pm

I have noticed that the GE Silos tend to be fired off by tags, so focus on them first. The OS silos are protected by a chokepoint, and the BM silos are way off in the middle of nowhere. So long as you can take care of the GE silos, you should be fine.
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

Matches

Post by Matches » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:19 am

Hey guys, if anybody's having trouble with any missions, just read the hints instead of skipping through them in anger.

Also, I agre that recons are best for getting on top of the silos. And don't forget about APCs.

Lastly, I don't know about you guys, but I was stupid and had to get through camapin skill-less. Skills are really, really helpful.
Just be yourslelf. If you be anybody else, you're a poser. Nobody likes posers.

Yuganon

Post by Yuganon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:03 pm

You know, those hints don't really help all the time. Especially this mission in HC "LIEK OMG BM IS TEH HARDEST BECAUSE U IS TEH FARDEST LAWL" hell no. By the time you're in the middle of the bridge part, Green Earth is getting their ass kicked. >_>
teabag a piranha tank, heart barely beatin'

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:30 pm

Keep using thier tag? Easy answer:

SASHA'S COP

EDIT: I used these COs:

GE: Jake and Max
BM: Grim and Javier

OS will be on the recieving end of 70% of BH's attacks, so Colin's and Sasha's COPs can charge quicker. The trick is to make loads of cheap units with Colin, set up a meatshield on the first few turns. Then, on Colin's third turn use Gold rush (Should be charged, it's only 2 stars.) and switch to Sasha. Try not to build much for the time being. Charge Sasha's COP. With loads of money BH's tag bar will basically start again.

linkthefifth

Post by linkthefifth » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:45 am

my advice for this mission is:

normal campagin--orange star=colin and sasha, blue moon=hawke and lash, green earth=jake and rachel. the green earth is the hardest i think, so keep in mind that t-copters are your friends. use orange star to snipe the big crystyal thingy with rockets.

hard campagn--orange star=sami and eagle, blue moon=colin and sasha, green earth=whoever has the best skills (if you havent already used them). my best advice is to attack only the magatank, the stealth, adn foot soldiers until the blue moon missile on the far right is fired, and the three green earth missiles go. blue moon must get at least one battleship to take out the cannon. orange star should use raockets to hit the big crystal.
When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in life's eye and demand chocolate, and none of that sugarfree stuff either, it has to be REAL chocolate

Sniffit

Post by Sniffit » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:54 pm

Errmmm... Normal campagn I managed well with
OS) Rachel and Colin
BM) Hawke and Javier
GE) Grimm and Sensei

It's Hard campaign Crystal Calamity I'm stuck on...
You know something's gone horribly wrong when hostilities between users begin to look like an appealing alternative to the new topic of conversation. - Terragent

Analogies taste like chicken - Xenesis

Banzo803

Post by Banzo803 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:57 am

i used:

BM: Javiar/Jess
GE: Grimm/Max

For OS i wasn't too worried about the far left silo as Sensei's B-Copters (built by Colin) defended me pretty well and just buid a few tanks here and there to help with the AAs. The Oozium is a bitch to kill with all the mountains and stuff. I think i just sacrificed a few tabks to kill it.

For BM as soon as i finished the port with the infantry i built a Black Boat so by turn 5 i was ready to fire it (missile island), the Md Tank is easy, just bait it with your tank (don't let the APC out of the north forests until the Md tanks is on 2) Artillery blowed it to 5, Tank just got it to 2 and killed it next turn. I saved for a Battleship to kill the BC. When you got the bottombase and com towers, just roll out Neotanks and Md tanks and advance. Also watch out for a T-Copter sporting an infantry, they took my base :(.

For GE, i got down to the BH Base and airport within three turns and prevented the airport capture and with Grimm all the infantry/mechs are a OHKO. With copters i kept the base useless until late game when i captured it. Make sure to have enough B-Copters for the infantry that ty to take the silo.

Anyway, that was my start, it worked for me.
Chill on the Mexican stereotypes before I get my macho burrito and whip your butt like a candy-filled pinata, you filthy gringo. - Marceux <3

Winners of the Breakdancing Monk Stamp of Approval Award: 4
-Gameshark
-DTaeKim
-Dark Conscience
-Shift Breaker

Necron Lord

Post by Necron Lord » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:11 am

That level took me a while, too. But this is how I got thru it:

BM: Hawke/Rachel
GE: Jess/Sasha

For OS, I played a defensive stature with Sensei, attacking anything I fee gets too close to our base, and then switching to Colin to buy a bomber and megatanks to take out piperunners (make sure that you have at least one bomber and one megatank in reserve. Use Sensei to mke some infantry and send them towards the silos.)

BM: Use Rachel to build infantry and landers to get the silo on the island. Have Hawke send Md tanks, artillery, and an AC with some infantry in them towards the two bottom silos. Use the Md tanks and the APC to barricade the infantry in so it cannot be attacked by the Md tank.

GE: Use Jess to send some AA units to the bottom and wipe out the infantry as they spawn in those bases while you use Sasha to take the silos. Have Jess build a Megatank and place it near the Black Cannon. Have it destroy the two Neotanks that they send your way. The Megatank can kill the cannon in one turn.

By now, you should be able to use a tag for OS. Have the Megatank move one space diagonally from the pipe and have the bomber move just behind it. If done correctly, Black Hole will move their troops so that there is no unit blocking the crystal thingy. Do NOT use the tag this turn. Use the tag next turn and have Sensei destroy the pipe seam with the bomber and use Colin to destroy the crystal with the Megatank.

Congrats! You just beat what I felt was the hardest level in NC! :lol:
Question: If a tree falls in an empty forest, and it lands on a mime, does anyone care?

WH40K ROCKS MY SOCKS

[img]sig.png[/img]

Gameshark

Post by Gameshark » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:38 pm

God I hate this level so much.

aeginotu

Post by aeginotu » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:14 pm

I've played it about thrice although it's only counted the HC victories as two.

Simple plan:
OS: Hawke/Olaf Both with snow boost and whatever(nice 4 damage + heal with tag) You may have a hard time getting the missiles but it's simple once you know what you're doing.
BM: Hachi/Sensei(or someone else, it's just that the transport bonus is helpful) they get very little in my experience. Should be fine.
GE: Colin/Sasha(or Grimm, but someone NEEDS Sasha, I myself used Grimm and BM had Hachi/Sasha) Pretty obvious, build lots of bombers, take out the Cannon for bonus points then Tag the crystal down with your highly effective 190/90 bombers :mrgreen:

Nuro

Post by Nuro » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:53 am

I can't get an S rank on HC Crystal Calamity. I keep getting Bs. ><

Advance_Wars_N00b

NEED HELP!!!

Post by Advance_Wars_N00b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:40 am

This mission sucks and I don't think a General Strategy's enough. I want a full day-by-day guide for this mission. I don't like excuses due to game mechanics or AI behaviour either.

I'll never control a Bolt Guard CO at this rate :cry:

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:03 am

Day-to-day guides are almost impossible in AWDS. Deal with it.

Second, it's probably good to get the COs you plan on using to level nine or higher. Forces areyour friend if you get stuck. When I did this on my second NC run, I found it harder than HC. Maybe because you can use any CO in HC.

Anyway, here's what I did.

OC: Jake/Rachel

You will get massed by enemy forces coming down on you, but since they have to bunch up, if you are lucky Covering Fire will crush them. The missles aren't a problem here, just make sure you take out infantry that get too close. When you have launched the silos, build a rocket ASAP and destroy the black obelisk. Annoying, but not hard.

BM: Hawke/Lash

I stuck Lash on for the extra luck and money forces. Hawke should get Prarie Dog, Pathfinder, Luck, and Star Power. Give Lash Sale Price, Fire Sale, Gold Rush, and Star Power. Lash should start out by buying stuff, then, when you have moved a tank, artillery, and loaded APC in range of the bottom silos and their tank moves in, Hawke comes in and crushed them. Later, Hawke can bash the Black Cannon if needed with a Battleship, if you can afford one. After taking the area, send in an invasion force to distract BH from mashing OS. You probably won't get that far, but it's nice to have a back-up plan.

GE: Sasha/Colin

lol broked tag. Give them both Sale Price, Fire Sale, Gold Rush, and Star Power. Go ahead and rush for the silos. Being Sasha/Colin, you can plan after that. Make sure you use Market Crash after attacking, but before buying. When you have the silos, Colin should DGR unless you need to stop the tag. Mass cheap Mds or Neos, with a couple of Black Bombs, and send them to take storm the central post. Make sure you take the southern properties as soon as you take the silos, or BH will be a thorn in your side the entire mission.

There you go. Don't whine about day-to-day, it's annoying as hell to write. If you hate excuses about AI behaviour, then I challenge you to write a day-to-day walkthrough for, Lash's Test that works every time. If you can do that, we'll go to the harder missions.

Also, you like day-to-day. Doesn't it give you at least a small thrill when you beat the tough mission with your own tactics, instead taking a cookie cutter guide from the net?
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Advance_Wars_N00b

Ooooooookay

Post by Advance_Wars_N00b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:12 am

Thank you for the strategy but it'll have to wait. My sis has the DS at the moment

Advance_Wars_N00b

Cruel World

Post by Advance_Wars_N00b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:23 am

Auuggh!!! I can't beat Crystal Calamity with your strategy. I just keep getting hammered. And what's this you say about "I'll do it if you do a day-to-day for Lash's test that works every time"? I'm no military strategist. And to prove it here's my example

With General Strategy:

Don't know where exactly to move my units. Can't organise strategies properly. LOSE.

With Day-to-day:

Know where to move my units. Strategies organised. WIN.

I'm worried all this might piss you off

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:31 am

It was... nevermind.

Look, I'm no military strategist either, but surely you can beat this without a day-to-day. Almost everybody on the board can. I suggest you talk to DTaeKim, who can tell you exactly why day-to-day is a futile hope in this game.

You don't need to move your units exactly. If it helps, save the game after every turn, and restart if your opponent move unfavorabley. If you can never win from the current postion you hav saving yourself in, then restart the mission and try again. Be patient.
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:53 am

What specifically is going wrong?

Are you getting crushed by the tag? If you don't need anything specific on Green Earth, just build infantry to save money. The more money you have, the more effective Market Crash will be. At 50000, it will completely empty the enemy power meter - if you can get to that point, you can likely stop the tag for the whole map.

Is the Mid Tank on Blue Moon's side giving you problems early on? Move the tank onto the city and the artillery behind it. (I *think* you start with those units...) When the mid tank attacks the tank, shoot it with the artillery. Do that twice and you should wipe it out.

Is the southeast airport making units you can't handle? As I recall, you can get an anti-air down there fast enough to stop the capture in the first place, and then build a rocket with Orange Star to keep the base and airport covered (so you can blast anything that comes out of the base, or tries to capture the airport). You could also build missiles if they *do* capture the airport.

If you tell us about specific problems, we can give you more help. Just saying you're getting hammered isn't enough. Leaving aside the issue of whether a day-by-day strategy would do any good, we don't have one right now, so you'll have to work with what you can get.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Advance_Wars_N00b

Post by Advance_Wars_N00b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:05 am

Specific Problems:

-Getting to the missiles fast enough
-Unorganised army
-Always crushed and pulverised megatanks and bombers
-That annoying Missile

Is that enough?

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 am

Point the first: Green Earth can get a loaded T-Copter and a Recon fast enough to get all three missles. OS needs to hold the choke and then you can get them whenever you can spare resources. BM needs to remove the Megatank and make sure they don't get a mech to you. (Although the mech might have been hard campaign.)

Army organization is something I can't help you with, sorry.

The enemy should have only one megatank.

Terragent wrote:Huh? the megatank can be destroyed with just your pre-deployed units. Move the artillery as far as possible into the forest first turn, then when the megatank comes into range open fire with the artillery and move in and attack with the Md tank. Easy peasy

Bombers are dealt with best by A-Air and missles.

That annoying Missle? Enemy missles should hamper you too bad. If you mean the Black Bomb, shoot it down quickly. If you mean a particular silo, be more specific.

Advance_Wars_N00b

Post by Advance_Wars_N00b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:53 am

I meant the Missile UNIT. I deploy a bomber but it instantly destroys it before it reaches the Black Obelisk (at the point the Satellite is down ad the Cannon is down as well). I also try using Rockets but 2 stupid B-copters keep destroying them.

Just as well, I'm planning to S-Rank it. Can you give me the Day Limit or something similar? Then I'll go through a playthrough with you guys. Will that work better?

aeginotu

Post by aeginotu » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:00 am

Ummm... Have you tried... sending counter units with it? If B-copters blow up your rockets block em' with Anti-Air. If missiles hit you're bomber move it out of range. IMO Missiles are a giant waste of cash, they almost never work unless you surround their fighter with APC's or something.
Of course I'm not a god at this game, but I don't remember this as being ridiculously hard.

Advanc_Wars_N00b

Post by Advanc_Wars_N00b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:08 am

Argh! I can't take anymore of this game! It frustrates me and whenever I ask for help, it comes in a bad form! :evil:

Sorry but, I just really want to unlock all COs. Please, just give me an ultimate general strategy or something to at least secure victory over those scum known as the Bolt Guard. :cry:

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:51 am

If you can launch all the missiles, the rest is pretty easy. You can just destroy the Obelisk with a rocket in two hits, and Orange Star has a fairly easy time getting one into range. Just keep it protected by whatever means necessary, though odds are Black Hole won't have a chance to get close to it as long as you don't blow open the pipeline.

If you're really struggling with this mission, forget about rank. There's not much point in worrying about it until you're confident in your ability to clear the mission on your own.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Advance_Wars_N00b

Battle Plan

Post by Advance_Wars_N00b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 am

Okay, ooooookay. I think I have it figured out

Setup:

BM:Grimm/Jess
GE:Max/Rachel

Before Satellite is destroyed

OS: Distract and weaken Megatank with predeployed units whilst using a T-copter to get my infantries to launch all missiles.
BM: Distract and destroy Md. Tank (not easy because I'm useless with indirect), whilst capturing properties and launching missiles, especially the offshore one.
GE: Get Two infantries and T-copters to capture the airport and launch all missiles. Use A-Air to distract aerial units and infantry.

After Satellite is destroyed

OS: Build Stealth,hide and get into reach of Black Obelisk.
BM: Build Battleship and use to destroy Cannon
GE: Build Rocket to use indirectly on Obelisk and keep enemy forces at bay with A-Air.

Sound victory guaranteed enough? :)

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:12 am

It's best to have Sasha on Green Earth. That way, you get to use Market Crash right before the enemy turn, when it does the most good.

If you have her on an earlier team, you'll need to hold back with the other two or you risk recharging the enemy meter and wasting Market Crash.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Advance_Wars_N00b

Post by Advance_Wars_N00b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:44 pm

Hey Dragon, you know you wrote the Campgin Guide for this mission on HC right? Well I'm pretty sure you can do the same for NC, unless you don't feel like it that is.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:47 pm

Eh, the only real differences between the NC and AC version is that BH has better units in the HC version, and they have a stealth instead of a black bomb.

The same general ideas *should* still work in the NC.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Gameshark

Post by Gameshark » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:42 pm

Gameshark wrote:God I hate this level so much.

Hahahahaha, this is probably one of my first posts on this board >>

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:45 am

I think you start with different units on the NC version, plus some of the strategy involves dealing with the early enemy units. So the specifics of getting to the missiles quickly would be different. The overall strategy for the map would be pretty much the same, though - you can't have Eagle on the Orange Star team, but you won't need to destroy as many units for Power, so an ordinary tag would be enough.

I might do a day-to-day for getting the missiles quickly on NC next time I get there, since it gives so many people trouble, but I don't have a save file anywhere near there to mess around with.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Advance_Wars_N00b

Post by Advance_Wars_N00b » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:00 am

Well, do you have AIM or Windows Messenger or any other IM program available. I'd be happy to contact you to check up on updates. My AIM and Windows Messenger name is Tbromyard.

I hate to say this but I'm really struggling and I really appreciate your help. At least somewhere at the Advance Wars Strategy Post likes me.

I also like to say that I'm not really an Advance Wars veteran. I only bought AW:DS because my standard Nintendo magazine NOM UK gave it a high rating and because of all the cool Black Hole COs.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:39 am

Hmm, I think rank is a bad thing to shoot for. Also, did you remember to bring your force ranks/skills? Lastly, if you just can't take it any more, put down the game for a week and try again. Often times this helped me get through some of the tougher parts of several games.