Okay, Mission 25 "Lab Rats" is kicking my arse

Paralysed by Von Bolt? Kindle caning you? Ask for help on all Advance Wars games here.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Okay, Mission 25 "Lab Rats" is kicking my arse

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:52 pm

<_<;

Either my brain has gone faulty and the correct tactics are blatantly obvious to everyone but myself or I've gotten considerably worse at destroying world domination forces.

I'm assuming that it requires a perfect opening phase, pretty much...Grabbing both the left-central base and the Airport ASAP, while destroying all three missiles. I can manage 2/3 reliably. The problem is trying to deal with the masses of War Tanks and the Hax Duster/Bomber/Fighters Tabitha has with her D2D.

Any tips? <_<;
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:45 am

For the opening, smash all the Missiles so that your Bombers have an easy time. Once reinforcements arrive, destroy the upper left barrier and charge all your units through.

You can manipulate the AI with your Missiles by making sure your Bombers are protected by it. Due to the Fighter nerf, the AI won't send the Fighter and Duster against your exposed Bombers, preferring to attack your Fighters instead. Combat this by protecting one of the Fighters at all costs (the other can bait), or bait with a T-Copter.

Damage Tabitha's Duster to 1HP so that she runs and it's out of commission for most of the battle. If you destroy it, she'll just make another and make your life miserable.

You have two T-copters that you can shove at the front to bait the War Tanks and allow your own War Tanks to get the first strike. War Tanks are the lowest priority. Destroy them only after all air units and AntiAir units are gone. Make sure one T-copter survives so you can capture the HQ.

The map was pretty much a pre-deployed affair for me. I built 1 Fighter and 4-5 Bombers. The land army is indeed enough to storm Tabitha's HQ.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:09 pm

I just beat that. It really wasn't that hard to just *beat* (S-Ranking is going to be another matter); all you have to do is make a gradual push and take as much property as possible. Also, hit the War Tanks with everything that works decently against them - they'll go down more easily than you think.

Really, before you know it, you'll have the upper hand, especially as there are bases near the frontline for you to use. It's a straightforward enough map compared to Mission 20, where I got a really frustrating stalemate the first try because I had to keep dragging units over from the other side of the map.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Hmm, 20 didn't bother me too much...then again stalemates never bother me when I have the upper hand.

As far as smashing the Missiles go, how does one smash the third one in the right without losing your Medium tank at the same time to either the War Tank or the Bomber?

Regardless, I'll nut it out when I'm not taking my turn driving for the 8 hours of traveling we have to do. :P
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:39 am

I was unable to destroy that third Missile unit. Instead, I wounded the thing, forcing it to repair and buy my air units time to get into position.
What can change the nature of a man?

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:35 am

I think I just oversaturated it with targets, myself; might have managed to get my bombers in its blind spot, too.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:54 am

I'm pretty sure this is the map I'm on right now and it was the first one I actually failed to beat on my first try >_>

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:29 pm

I gave this map another shot somewhere in between the 9 hours of driving today.

Must have been stricken by a temporary stupidity illness or something because I cleaned this mission up with an S-Rank. ._.

ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:34 am

Lab rats is also my current cock block.

This map is definantly at the difficulty of a Hard campaign map.

BTW which base in the middle should I go after? There are 2 in the middle one closer to Tabitha's base than the other. On my second try I did manage to get the one closer but I couldn't hold her off before eventully getting beat to bloody pulp
rifton wrote:I think the TC deserves a medal for taking something with the most win ever, and making it fail horribly. :\

I'm still a LUEser (at heart) and proud of it

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:44 am

Cock block? Huh?

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:44 am

Off topic but do the Australians get Advance wars Days of Ruin?

I got a little while before I reach that Mission. :P

GaoGaoStegosaurus

Post by GaoGaoStegosaurus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:39 pm

That mission perfectly illustrates how cowardly the new AI is--Tabitha was so hell-bent on preserving her units from unfavorable match-ups instead of simply trading blows with me (which would've owned my own initial pre-deployed). Instead, by simply having some retaliation units nearby, I was able to expose my Bombers and Fighters repeatedly and force Tabitha's army waaaaay back--the two neutral factories in the center were easily mine.

Her poor CO Duster was trapped when she attacked my mech on the airport; I crippled her to 1 HP and surrounded her with two weakened Fighters and that wounded Mech. The AI refused to suicide her own Duster against my Fighters, so she was rendered a spectator for the remainder of the match and eventually ran out of ammo attacking that Mech. :P

Sigh, I'm sure you War Room veterans will easily blow my score out of the water, but I was actually fairly pleased with my S-Rank 375 in 15 days. :(
AWDoR FC: 077433-428775

"Dimensional index rising, nonlinear oscillator producing fluid bifur...BOOM!" - Penny

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Xenesis wrote:As far as smashing the Missiles go, how does one smash the third one in the right without losing your Medium tank at the same time to either the War Tank or the Bomber?

Okay, I just replayed that mission, and the answer is "save, attack it with the regular tank and Duster, reload if it's not destroyed."
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".