Testing CCOs By Hacking - AW2 Edition

This board section is for creation of Custom COs under the Advance system. Users are encouraged to rate and comment on other's COs.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Testing CCOs By Hacking - AW2 Edition

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:37 pm

So you guys want to know how your CO ideas would play out in an actual game? Unless you get into some extremely exotic ideas AW2 and AWDS have enough mechanics that will allow you to test a fair few ideas. I've done a a lot of the hard work here, so I encourage you to all enjoy it and try it out! You'll get a feel for whether your ideas work or not! :)

I'll outline what you can do in a level of ease assuming you know nothing beyond using the Nightmare2 modules for that game and have maybe used one of the patches. For some of the more low end stuff, I'll write up a short paragraph that will hopefully help you test things out.

Advance Wars 2 COs - Basic Editing
These things can all be done quite easily and just require editing some numbers either by hand or using a Nightmare2 Module:

Unit Stats - All of these can be adjusted between D2D, CO Powers and Super CO Powers
Increased Firepower (Up to +several thousand percent)
Decreased Firepower (Up to -99%)
Increased Defence (Up to a total that defence + terrain defence is < 200% total)
Decreased Defence (Up to -99%)
Increased Movement (Up to a total of 11 movement)
Decreased Movement (Minimum movement is always 0, amazingly enough)
Increased Range (Up to +A lot, works for anything with a primary weapon. Screws with the AI hardcore if you have ranged directs)
Decreased Range (Minimum of the Unit's Minrange)

CO Stats - All of these can be adjusted between D2D, CO Powers and Super CO Powers
Power Stars: 0-10 (Recommended, CO Power should cost or equal Super CO Power in stars. Super must cost at least 1 star)
Positive Luck 1-255 (0 makes the game crash, but 1 is effectively a +0% in luck always)
Negative Luck 0-255
Capture Rate (+lots to -100%)
Unit Cost (+lots to -100%)
Vision (+lots, minimum of 1 vision)
Counter-Attack Multiplier (+lots to -99%)

CO Stats - These are constantly in effect regardless of D2D/COP/SCOP
Snowbringer 0 - 100 (Added chance that in random weather this weather will occur. Additive with the other COs in play. Snow takes priority over rain)
Rainbringer 0 - 100

CO Special Skills - These can either be on or off. With a bit of fiddling they CAN be adjusted, but not as easily. Can be set for D2D, COP or SCOP
Hidden HP
Piercing Vision
First-Strike Counter Attacks (Direct Attacks Only)
Cities can Deploy Ground Units (Note the AI can't use this)
Terrain Defence is Converted into Firepower (Eg, if a unit gains a total of 30% defence from terrain, it will also gain 30% offence)
Terrain Defence is Doubled
Daily Fuel Upkeep Reduced by 2 for Air Units (Although, the way the game works, this will only ever take effect as a D2D)

Movement Cost Charts - All of these can be adjusted between D2D, CO Powers and Super CO Powers
Movement Costs in Clear
Movement Costs in Snow
Movement Costs in Rain

Now, unless you create a custom table of movement costs or edit the existing ones here is what's on offer:
Standard Clear
Standard Rain
Standard Snow
No Movement Penalties
Standard Clear - Double Time (Each of the double time charts are identical to the standard charts, but are only used for Sami's CO Power by default)
Standard Rain - Double Time
Standard Snow - Double Time

Now that's the simple stuff. Time to delve into territory that's a bit more complicated because things are interconnected. You'll have to pay some attention to what you're doing here.

Moderate Editing
Custom Movement Charts - Conveniently, Sami has 3 duplicate movement charts that are identical to standard ones. You can use it to make some custom movement costs.
Each terrain class has a movement cost. 1-9 work fine. 0 Works but causes issues if units can move too far. To block a unit, a movement cost of -1 is used.

CO Special Skills - Terrain Defence is Converted Into Firepower
Not a huge amount to do here, you can change how much firepower you get from your terrain defence special skill.

CO Power Type - This is the type of code that runs when you activate a CO Power or Super CO Power. This is the top-most CO Power code, whatever is here determines how the rest works. The choices:
Standard (Animates a flourish over every unit/specific units with varying effects)
White Flash (Sonja's CO Power Reveal Sounds)
White Flash (Gold Sounds)
Gold Rush (White Flash, Gold Sounds, Multiplies funds by 1.5)
Blizzard (Snow Weather)
Winter Fury (Snow Weather, 2 Mass Damage)
Tsunami (1 Mass Damage, 0.5x Fuel)
Typhoon (2 Mass Damage, 0.5x Fuel, Rain Weather)
Black Wave (1 Mass Healing, 1 Mass Damage)
Black Storm (2 Mass Healing, 2 Mass Damage)
Copter Command (Drop Infantry at 9HP On Cities)
Airborne Assault (Drop Mechs at 9HP on Cities)
Meteor Strike (Targeted Damage, 8HP)
Meteor Strike II (Targeted Damage, 4HP)

You can quite happily just give a CO one of these abilities and be done with it, however it may not be perfectly suited. You can do a lot of further customisation with some other modules I've put together.

CO Power Type - Standard - A good chunk of COs have this CO Power type and it is extremely versatile. The options you can set for it are as follows:
Activation Type - Standard (No Effect) or Power of Money (Takes Cash amount and Converts to Firepower)
Unit Animation Type (See List)
Unit Animation Effect (See Second List)

Unit Animation Type controls what units the flourish appears on. If a unit is animated on, it will receive the animation effect. Types as follows:
All Units
Direct Units
Indirect Units
Aerial Units
All Units Except Foot Soldiers
Foot Soldiers

Unit Animation Effect controls what the animation actually does. Types as follows:
No Effect - Visual Flourish Only
Heal 2 HP
Heal 5 HP
Resupply Fuel and Ammunition
Reanimate Units in Wait Mode

You can combine the animations and effects to create some potential CO powers. For example, if you want a CO power that reanimates indirects give a CO the 'Indirect Units' animation type and the 'reanimate units in wait mode' effect. The amount of healing can be easily adjusted for the Heal HP animation effects as well - You could make it so foot soldiers were healed 8HP or something.

CO Power Type - Gold Rush - Limited options for this power short of custom programming.
Gold Multiplier (In Steps of Current Amount of funds + (Current Amount of Funds / N )

CO Power Type - Blizzard - Not many options to be changed here.
Weather Change - Change To Clear, Snow or Rain

CO Power Type - Mass Damage - Depending on the one you edit, you'll have more or less options without writing a custom version. That being said, options:
Mass Damage (0 to 10, Increments of full HP)
Mass Healing (0 to 10, Increments of full HP)
Weather Change (Don't Change, Clear, Snow or Rain)
0.5x Fuel (Off or On)

CO Power Type - Unit Drop - A very simple power to edit but can create a bit of variety.
Unit Type (What Unit is spawned)
Unit HP (1 to 100 - What absolute HP the unit is spawned at)
Unit Spawn Location (Choice between any player capturable property owned by the player)

CO Power Type - Meteor Strike - Only one real option to edit
Meteor Damage (1 to 100 - What absolute HP of damage is done)

Challenging Editing
This is the stuff that will require assembly work. Some of it ranges from relatively simple assembly or just cannibalising code that already exists in the game with slight tweaks to rewriting chunks of the engine but it isn't something that can merely be done with just a nightmare module. A lot of this section will be stuff that was included as standard in AWDS, but just doesn't exist in AW2 so you'll have to do some grunt work. Sorry in advance for the disappointment :P

I've starred anything that I have personally coded at least in a hackish fashion so I could probably give you some advice on ;)

CO Stats
Stat Boosts in Snow/Rain Weather (Olaf, Icebreaker, Sand Scorpion, High and Dry)
Increased Day to Day Repairing (Rachel)
Decreased Enemy Terrain Stars (Sonja D2D, COP, SCOP)
Terrain-Specific Firepower Boosts* (Jake D2D, COP, SCOP, Koal D2D, COP, SCOP, Kindle D2D, COP, SCOP)
CO Zones* (War Room Hack II Caulder)
Repairing on Non-Property Terrain*
Resupplying on Non-Property Terrain*

CO Special Skills - Stuff like the rest in the basic area, that was introduced in AWDS
Defence against Indirect Attacks (Javier D2D, COP, SCOP)
Convert damage into funds (Sasha SCOP)
Progressive Cost Decreases* (Balance Hack 2.0 Colin)

CO Special Skills - Double Terrain Stars
You can actually do a lot with this quite simply, because it takes Lash's current terrain defence and spits out a different number, which you can do a lot of fun things with. Some of this might actually be in a module, but you can be fairly creative.

Altered Terrain Star Multiplier* (Any amount that won't result in >200% total defence, really. Can reduce and increase)
Fixed Terrain Defence Percentage* (It functions differently to standard defence boosts. You can use this to make a CO have no terrain defence as well.)

CO Special Skills - Cities Can Deploy Ground Units
Cities can deploy ground/air/sea/foot soldier/tyre/tread/all units*

CO Power Type
White Flash, Alter Enemy Power Charge (Sasha COP)
Blizzard - 2 Days of Snow (Olaf AWDS COP)
Winter Fury - 2 Days of Snow (Olaf AWDS SCOP)
Alters Map Terrain* (Either Terrain types or capturable properties)
Alter Opponent's Funds
Alter Fog of War State*
Alter Current Day*
Alter Player/Opponent's CO*
Alter Player/Opponent's Current CO Power State (D2D/COP or SCOP Mode)
Alter Player/Opponent's Colour*
Alter Player/Opponent's Number of CO Power Usages
Alter Player/Opponent's Alliance Status
Alter Player's War Room/Campaign Score Tally
Any Combination of the Above/Other List

Yes, a lot of the suggestions here are incredibly silly. But doable. The way the code is set up makes custom additions here quite easy. Most could quite easily apply to the Activation Type for Standard CO Powers too :P

CO Power Type - Standard - There's a lot here because if you can code assembly this is stupidly flexible. That is all.
Activation Type: Property Count Converted Into Firepower* (Kindle SCOP)
Activation Type: Current Day Converted Into Firepower*

Animation Type
Animates on a unit of a specific type not in previous list*
Animates on a unit at specific HP*
Animates on a unit with a specific status* (Eg, Wait/Transporting/Transported/Dived/Stunned)

Animation Effect
Refuels Unit*
Replenishes Ammo*
Sets a unit as Dived*
Change a Unit's Location*
Change a Unit's Type*
Change a Unit's currently completed Capture*
Or some combination of the above (And more! Ask if you want to know how feasible an idea here would be)!

CO Power Type - Mass Damage
Targets Units on Specific Tiles* (Kindle COP)
Resets Currently Completed Capture*
Cuts Ammo*
Cuts Fuel by various amounts*

CO Power Type - Meteor Strike
Multiple Missiles with Alternate Targeting (Rachel SCOP) (May your god have mercy on your soul if you attempt this one)
Stun Inducing Effect* (Von Bolt SCOP)
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Testing CCOs By Hacking - AW2 Edition

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Also I'd just like to stress that this is a WIP and I'll endeavour to put together ones for Dual Strike and Days of Ruin as well! :)
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Nice, this could encourage alot of people to make CCOs my way (that is the down and dirty way :D )

However I need to ask you something Xen. Is it possible to allow a CO's combat unit to have the ability to transport without using assembly? (like you did in the AW Project) I'm trying to think of a way to do it, which revolves around giving all units the ability to transport but set their transporting capacity to 0. Then use Sami's extra transporting boost to actually activates it. However, I have no clue on how that transport boost actually functions. Does it only applies to APC and helicopters or does it applies on all units? I need more insights on this.
Remember not to feed the animals

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Down and dirty? Well that's how I play my CCOs (that I haven't posted here for some reason).
For your request Mark, I don't think this is possible without assembly, cuz I've tried it...

And I have a question for Xen: do you know if it's possible to make the game consider ranged directs as indirects?
It would be useful in my DS hack
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Mark_009_vn wrote:However I need to ask you something Xen. Is it possible to allow a CO's combat unit to have the ability to transport without using assembly? (like you did in the AW Project) I'm trying to think of a way to do it, which revolves around giving all units the ability to transport but set their transporting capacity to 0. Then use Sami's extra transporting boost to actually activates it. However, I have no clue on how that transport boost actually functions. Does it only applies to APC and helicopters or does it applies on all units? I need more insights on this.
Nope. Transport boost is a class-based boost (see: Direct, Indirect, Aircraft, etc) and can only apply Attack/Defence/Move/Range boosts. I had to do some fairly significant assembly work to get it to work in project. In vanilla AW2, the transport boost only applies to APC, T-Copter and Lander units.
St3rn wrote:And I have a question for Xen: do you know if it's possible to make the game consider ranged directs as indirects?
It would be useful in my DS hack
Not without doing some assembly work - AW2 and DS consider a unit an 'indirect' if the minimum range is greater than 1. For AW2 you can use Pointer Hack Ultra, but I might have to whip up something different for AWDS in the future. Of course the actual code change would be fairly simple but it would be a matter of finding the code first.

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:23 am

Xen wrote:Not without doing some assembly work - AW2 and DS consider a unit an 'indirect' if the minimum range is greater than 1. For AW2 you can use Pointer Hack Ultra, but I might have to whip up something different for AWDS in the future. Of course the actual code change would be fairly simple but it would be a matter of finding the code first.
OK. For AW2 I already use Pointer Hack Ultra, but since I don't get the hang of assembly, it's impossible to make something like I wanted for DS...
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:13 am

If you tell me what you're trying to do I might be able to just give you some ideas for how to approach it.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Xenesis wrote:Nope. Transport boost is a class-based boost (see: Direct, Indirect, Aircraft, etc) and can only apply Attack/Defence/Move/Range boosts. I had to do some fairly significant assembly work to get it to work in project. In vanilla AW2, the transport boost only applies to APC, T-Copter and Lander units.
Damn, well I guest I'll just have to mess around with assemblers and disassemblers to see what happens

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Xenesis wrote:If you tell me what you're trying to do I might be able to just give you some ideas for how to approach it.
Well, I want to give Grit a bonus for all ranged units instead of just indirects. And in my hack, this would make him boost neotanks, copters and cruisers (range 1-2 for neos and copters, and 1-3 for cruisers). That would make him more balanced, and I wouldn't have to give him big bonuses for few units (i.e. now, it's 120/120 D2D for indirects, 150/120 +1Range during COP, and 170/130 +2R during SCOP).

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 am

One of the ways you can do it is by changing what class a unit belongs to. Depending on how you do the shuffling and stat changes you could put the 'ranged directs' into their own class and combine the other classes.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:18 am

Xenesis wrote:One of the ways you can do it is by changing what class a unit belongs to. Depending on how you do the shuffling and stat changes you could put the 'ranged directs' into their own class and combine the other classes.
How? I want to know.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Have a look through this topic. You can change some of the parameters so the units will fall under a different class restriction.

While it's not completely sussed out yet if you compare with AW2's topic (Link) you can see one of the options for each unit is 'Class'. This determines if the unit gets 'Foot Soldier' or 'Vehicle' etc. boosts. You could do some reshuffling of those classifications to get it to fit.

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:41 pm

OK, I see what you mean... but it'll probably mess with other COs' stats... I think about Jess, Eagle and Drake, and even maybe Sami.
And the job I've done has been quite long so I don't want to be changing all of it again.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:53 pm

I want to ask. how do you edit the "Unit Animation Type" and "Unit Animation Effect" in the "CO Power Type - Standard' section. It's not on Nightmare.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 am

Hm, I thought I uploaded the modules for that already. I'll do it when I get a chance today.

Eliwan

Post by Eliwan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:50 am

Sorry for the necro here [I assume it's okay because it's stickied]-- but is it possible to make a CCO that has the COP/SCOP to reduce the minimum range of indirects?

e.g. 2-3 becomes 1-3, 3-5 becomes 2-5, etc.

And how hard would that be to implement? Would it require hex/assembly editing of the code?
This site, it exists, I keep forgetting it does.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Eliwan wrote:Sorry for the necro here [I assume it's okay because it's stickied]
Necroing isn't even an issue if it's a relevant question/whatever.
but is it possible to make a CCO that has the COP/SCOP to reduce the minimum range of indirects?

e.g. 2-3 becomes 1-3, 3-5 becomes 2-5, etc.

And how hard would that be to implement? Would it require hex/assembly editing of the code?
It'd certainly be doable, but it'd be tricky. There's three things that would need to be realistically done for it to work, all of which require some assembly coding.

-Modify the code so that minimum range is affected by stat boosts (as opposed to just maximum range)
-Modify the code so that when at a minimum range of 1, artilleries don't behave like tanks :p - I believe I have already written some ASM for this previously, I may be able to dig it up.
-Modify the AI to deal properly with the previous point (only an issue if you want to play with the AI)