CCO: Kasparov

This is the section for creating custom COs under the new DS tag system. Users are welcome to post their own creations here or comment on other's CCOs.
Selinia

CCO: Kasparov

Post by Selinia » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Hello, everyone! This is my first shot at a custom CO, so... I'm not really sure how well I did. Criticism, advice, or questions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

EDIT [9/12/11]: Dropped CO and SCO power cost.

Name: Kasparov
Nation: :bm: Blue Moon
Theme: Checkmate!

"Bah! Imbeciles! I'll show you children how the game of war is played!"

History:
Kasparov write the book on modern warfare and strategic deployment - literally. His works are generally one of the first things rookie commanders in the Allied Nations are handed to study. They are also usually the final exam they manage to pass, such are their complexity. In his heyday, this man was renowned for reinventing ancient techniques to fit a battlefield dominated by tanks and artillery rather than trenches and wild infantry charges. Were it not for his endeavors, Blue Moon might have fallen to the civil war that rocked it decades ago.

However, shortly after that conflict (which ended with Olaf's elevation to a dictator - albeit, a fairly benevolent one), Kasparov famously became disillusioned (or some say, bored) with warfare. In a move that made history books, he abruptly made a declaration of resignation, and walked off into the wilderness. Efforts were made to find him, and continued on and off for years - but when the Cosmo Land conflict erupted, the Blue Moon leadership finally decided to cut their losses and consider the legend dead.

But in truth, in a remote shack in the Blue Moon wilderness, Kasparov lived. Year by year, he filled the walls of the tiny hut with endless volumes on theory and planning. He spent uncountable hours glaring down the center of a chessboard, playing both sides to weasel out every possible maneuver and countermeasure. When he tuned up the simple radio, it was only to check in on the progress of the wars over the years - first in Cosmo Land, then Macro Land, and eventually the remote regions of Omega Land where he made his own home. It was hardly what one might call a relaxing retirement, but it suited him.

But one day, a broadcast jolted him out of his humble reverie. 'Allied Forces kill Von Bolt! Black Hole in chaos!' Von Bolt - the CO hailing once from the rolling green countryside, now only remembered as the hated leader of the Bolt Guard. Kasparov had never actually liked the man - he'd been a brilliant commander though, despite his cowardice and craven ambition. One of the people whose the Blue Moon CO had considered a peer. He tried to recall another... and something struck him.

Yuan Delta? Dead. Died to cancer, years back, was out of action long before that.
Caroline? Missing in action, though he'd heard that her daughters were now leading the Allied Nations.
Yamamoto? Hah, he'd been gone since anyone could remember, even before Kasparov had left.

The old guard was... old. They were going out, one by one. And if the sloppiness of the reports he heard on the radio were any indicator, then this new generation wasn't even close to ready to defend the free world! War would come again, and it would find a bunch of idiots. That simply wouldn't do.

So he picked out his most relevant books, a favorite cane, and a warm coat, and set out into the Blue Moon wilds once more. He moved back to the capitol, got an apartment, caught up on the news you couldn't get in the boondocks. Most of it was just more depressing hogswash, but there were a few good notes. Now, with the echos of the Omega War fading, he has finally returned to military service. Olaf was at first disbelieving that the unspeakably ancient man before him could be the same legend that had led him to victory, but when the cagey master of snow lost a test battle to those strategies, there could be no more doubt.

With the shadow of another war on the horizon, Kasparov now lends both his skill and his harsh advice to his fellow commanders, and searches constantly for any of the young he might consider his equal. He has little patience for stupidity, and is supremely arrogant, but is willing to cede that some of them have potential. Some.

Description:
Kasparov is ancient. What portion of his face isn't covered in a shockingly white beard is a mass of wrinkles and age-lines. His heavy winter coat (a brown one, despite the endless stream of blue winter apparel Olaf had gifted him over various holidays) only seems to emphasize his scrawny frame, and his gnarled hands clutch a plain wooden staff on which he leans heavily. But the blue eyes behind the bushy eyebrows are as piercing as ever, and woe is unto the one who underestimates the mental strength of the Living Legend of Blue Moon simply due to his physical weakness...

In-Game Description:
An aging Blue Moon CO whose campaigns stretch back decades. Legendary for his strategic theory, but tends to treat his soldiers like pawns on a game board rather than people.

:hit: Competence
:miss: Stupidity

:skill:
Kasparov is not known as a legend for nothing. His doctrine is known for its complexity, favoring a mixture of units and intricate maneuvering to achieve victory. As a result, his direct-combat units get +10/+5 against an enemy for every one of his units adjacent to it beyond the first. However, his pure reliance on strategy and selection of soldiers for swiftness in following orders makes for troops that often fail to take the initiative or act independently when they should, and his direct-combat units have 90/95 stats as a result.

His indirects suffer less from this strategic detachment, but their nature also makes them less able to reap the benefits of tactical maneuvering. As a result, while they have 95/100 stats, they only get +5/+0 for each of his units adjacent to it (though they do count the first unit, unlike his directs).

So, his direct units are 90/95 when squaring off one-on-one, 100/100 when they have a buddy flanking their target, 110/105 when they have it boxed in on three sides, and 120/110 when they surround an enemy completely. His indirects progress similarly from 95/100 when targeting an enemy with no units adjacent, to 100/100, 150/100, 110/100 and 115/100 when the target has one, two, three, and four adjacent allies, respectively.

Powers:
:smallstar: :smallstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:

:power: En passant
Kasparov commands his troops with almost inhuman precision, a flurry of carefully-timed commands and contingencies allowing him to issue precise firing angles and movement orders for an entire army at once. The flanking boosts for his direct and indirect units scale as +15/+5 and +10/+0, respectively, for the turn. Additionally, his exacting maneuvers allow his troops to exploit holes in the lines of damaged enemy troops to completely rearrange the field of battle - enemy troops with 7 or fewer HP remaining do not block the movement of Kasparov's troops while this power is in effect.

"You've spread yourself thin. Too thin."
"Watch closely! Perhaps you will learn from your mistakes!"

:super: Checkmate
Kasparov sets into motion the grandest of schemes - the hidden mesh of plotting that lay behind his every move, every sacrifice of troops, every feint and withdrawal. As if by magic, his soldiers find that everything is falling into place - critical roads are open, enemies are facing the wrong way, and cover is plentiful while foes are caught in the open. Direct and indirect flanking boosts raise to +20/+10 and +15/+0, respectively. Additionally, his planning has rendered even the tiniest gap in enemy lines into as good as an open highway for his troops - enemy troops with 9 or fewer HP remaining do not block the movement of Kasparov's troops while this power is in effect.

"Enough of your stupidity! I'm moving this into the endgame!"
"Bah! I will show you the price of your negligence!"

Victory Quotes:

"Ignorant pups! This wasn't even a fight worth remembering!"
"Another victory. Perhaps next time you'll be a challenge."

Tag Affinities:

Kasparov/Sonja (120%): Student and Teacher

The young Empress of Yellow Comet displays an intellect and tactical acumen Kasparov has not seen since... well, his own younger days. Though a harsh teacher, he offers her a respect few others merit in his eyes, and sincerely hopes for the day when she will be his equal.

Kasparov/Sonja
"Hmph! Come, Sonja, you'll learn nothing from these fools."
"Sir, I can hardly consider that fair..."

"I see... it is never wise to discount the potency of a well-played Queen."
"Hmm... huh? Sorry, I was looking over these reports and...."

Sonja/Kasparov
"Well played, but it seems that brains have won the day!"
"You're much too soft on them, girl..."

"We won... but I think I can do even better!"
"Hah! At least you recognize your flaws.

Kasparov/Olaf (115%): Living Legends

In the long-past civil war of Blue Moon, it was the stalwart fury of Olaf's storms and the genius of Kasparov's plans that kept the country together against all odds. The two became folk heroes to many - legends told to aspiring commanders. Today, many still see the pair as a legend come to life, as can be seen in the worshipful attitudes of COs like Colin.

Kasparov/Olaf
"Ahh... been awhile since we stood here, eh?"
"Done reminiscing, old friend? There's a celebration waiting!"

"Is this really the best they offer these days?"
"Far from it. Some some pups who think they're wolves."

Olaf/Kasparov
"Come back in a decade! Maybe you pups will have some teeth by then!"
"A decade, Olaf? I'd say three, at least..."

"Thin-skinned fools! My boot camp drillmaster had more commanding skill!"
"...that was me, remember?"

Kasparov/Hachi (105%)
Kasparov/Sensei (105%)
Kasparov/Lash (105%)

Hachi and Sensei are among the few members of the dwindling old guard. And while she lacks the tact of Sonja, the former Black Hole weapons developer can at least hold up an intelligent conversation...

Kasparov/Andy (65%)
Kasparov/Kanbei (85%)

...which is more than can be said for these idiots.
Last edited by Selinia on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Airnike

Re: CCO: Kasparov

Post by Airnike » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Igor Kasparov, anyone?
Nice homage, but way too complicated. Though the bio and all is somehow pertinent, the stats are too hard to judge. I'd give a :srank: for the bio and background without any sort of hesitation, but the Sonja disease is pretty much a problem when it comes to understanding the stats. Way too much tweaks...
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Ah, this reminds me of the time I used to play Sudden Strike (My avatar is the disc cover of Sudden Strike: Resource War :D ). Exploiting through enemy lines to destroy enemy artilleries before charging massive pincers into the enemy's ass is the preferred strategy of the day, despite being quite costly in unit counts :roll: .

The D2D is balanced somewhat appropriately albeit very hard to use (which is good for the Combat Mission players, like me). He'd be quite good defending choke points still, as he could easily gets 3 units adjacent to each other in a very tight choke, although one could argue that he would suffer the same weakness assaulting chokes. My guest is to leave it be, it's good enough already and I don't want it to broke badly.

The COP is very much overpriced, An added +5 flanking boost is too little for 5 stars, and the exploitation effect is a very hard to pull of mind game. No one will ever be stupid enough to spread out his units all the time against this guy. To use the Co power successful you'll need to pull off alot of trickery, even so, the end result would only be the destruction of several artilleries, which is a good short term benefit, but seeing that Rockets are never used and that artilleries are spammed en massed, they'll be replace with relative ease and won't be much of a benefit in the long term. My suggestion is to knock it down to 2 stars (yes, 2) and knock the SCOP down to 5 stars. He'll be really hard to use effectively. But hey, life is hard, deal with it.

Also
His works are generally one of the first things rookie commanders in the Allied Nations are handed to study
What, you mean... you mean like the Army field manual?
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /fm/17-15/
Yeah, love reading that, it's a good way to learn how to properly play Panzer Elite.

:mrgreen:
Remember not to feed the animals

Selinia

Post by Selinia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:40 am

Gah. Of course, I have to get a boatload of classwork right as I enter a new forum. I should have replied to these sooner, apologies.

@Ainiku: Actually, the name is a homage to Garry Kasparov (given his chess motif and the fact that Blue Moon is pseudo-Russia, it seemed appropriate). I'm not entirely sure I see the Sonja Disease though. By my understanding of the term, 'Sonja Disease' refers to a CO that does (or tires to do) too many things - such as Sonja's FoW boost, counterattack boost, and hidden health.

Kasparov really only does one thing (two, if you count the enemy-passing in his CO powers). It may seem slightly on the complicated side, since his units are prone to having different bonuses at different times, but the scaling itself is fairly easy to understand. One-on-one, he's weak. He becomes average, then better, as he gets more units adjacent to his target. I don't really think it's any more complex than Lash and her "Power scales with terrain stars" Day to Day ability, and that doesn't strike me as confusing.

I'm not really sure here though. I balanced him on the idea that you'd usually be able to have two units adjacent to most enemies, sometimes have one or three, and occasionally have four. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I guess I'm not really seeing where the complexity is. He's a variable CO, yeah, but there are plenty who only get their bonus under X circumstances - his is just unit positioning instead of terrain, which is the usual route.

@Mark_009_vn (I'm not terribly familiar with the etiquette here - do you usually just go by Mark?): I can see where you're coming from with the COPs being overpriced. I'd not seen the whole 'move through enemies' gimmick done before, and I seriously overestimated how powerful it is, I think. He functions much better with the ability to fire off his distinctive power more often.

I'd rather have him playable, if a little underpowered, than broken. He isn't really designed to be a powerhouse of a CO - the idea was for one that made both players examine the battlefield a little differently than they otherwise might. He can pull attack patterns that nobody else can, and can do some very cool stuff in the right circumstances, and I like to think he could create some fun scenarios for both players.

Funnily, though I've never played Sudden Strike, I did get the idea when I was playing Company of Heroes. Namely, "Hey, nifty, There's no way they'll get out now that I have them pinned down on both sides." After all, having people shoot at you from multiple directions would kinda suck. And so... Kasparov makes that happen.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:41 pm

@Mark_009_vn (I'm not terribly familiar with the etiquette here - do you usually just go by Mark?): I can see where you're coming from with the COPs being overpriced. I'd not seen the whole 'move through enemies' gimmick done before, and I seriously overestimated how powerful it is, I think. He functions much better with the ability to fire off his distinctive power more often.
Just call me 009, the Mark/vn thing is just there for laffs. And yeah, changing the star cost is for the better I think.
I'd rather have him playable, if a little underpowered, than broken.
Actually, I like that, anything that is hard to master but very rewarding if you do so is considered fun in my book.
Funnily, though I've never played Sudden Strike, I did get the idea when I was playing Company of Heroes. Namely, "Hey, nifty, There's no way they'll get out now that I have them pinned down on both sides." After all, having people shoot at you from multiple directions would kinda suck. And so... Kasparov makes that happen.
Sudden Strike is a very obscure game, it is very popular in Russia and Germany but almost no one plays it in the West. I'm a fan of tactical wargames of the overtly realistic variety, so it's the reason why I knew about Sudden Strike. It's a very hard game, but if you spent some time learning how to play it properly and do some reading on real world military operations you'll never get bored of it.
Remember not to feed the animals