Ask me about being a pharmacist

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Ask me about being a pharmacist

Post by DTaeKim » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:51 pm

If you've been wondering where I've been for the past six months or more, this is your answer.

I've been in pharmacy school for six years and I've entered my year of rotations. I've been at three different hospitals in three different settings, a retail pharmacy, a corporate setting, and currently I'm at a home infusion pharmacy. If you want to ask about my experiences, go right ahead. If you want to ask about my education, go right ahead. If you want to ask about my personal life, no dice.

I can answer drug questions, but take my answers with a grain of salt and consult your doctor beforehand. With that said, I hope we have an engaging conversation. Shoot!
What can change the nature of a man?

kiwi

Re: Ask me about being a pharmacy student

Post by kiwi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:57 pm

6 years

man

how much longer

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:13 pm

First, what's a home infusion pharmacy? Second, six years in pharmacy includes an undergraduate degree in science, yes? If not, holy hell.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Honest question: What do you actually do?
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Least favourite chemical synthesis?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:02 am

Most interesting reaction when a patient is prescribed the wrong medication?
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:24 am

Have you given someone cat medicine and told them to give it to their dog?

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 am

kiwi - Depends on your career goals. I am in the minority because I pursued a six-year program. Most pharmacy schools are eight years at this point. If you want to specialize further, you can enter residencies, which are not dissimilar to medical residencies. Those take another one or two years. In total, you might be seeing seven to ten years of school for pharmacists.

Of course, I'm talking about the Units States. I don't know the length of school in other countries.

Treed - Home infusion is where you administer IV medications at home. Giving IV medications is expensive, giving them in hospitals is even more expensive. By giving medications at home, you lower costs and it's more convenient for the patients. It has its own share of headaches, however.

monkeymeet - In a retail setting, we make sure the combination of drugs the doctor gives you is appropriate. We also know a little bit more about drugs than doctors (we get four to six semesters of pharmacotherapy and pharmacology compared to doctors). We also happen to know what drugs can save you the most money, which some doctors don't understand.

In a hospital setting, it's not much different. We ensure the drug and dose is for the right patient and disease. We can also act as a portable drug resource for doctors, since looking everything up takes time and adds up.

Xenesis - Oxidation, because of the CYP450 system. There are a number of drug interactions thanks to everything messing with that part.

Sniffit - My reaction or the patient's reaction? If it's my reaction, it's simply a raised eyebrow and a call to the doctor.

Gentleman of Dread - No, because pet medications are generally the same.

Deoxy - Kind of, it's a side effect. Usually constipation wins out.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 am

What should I take to clear out all of my problems without suicide?
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:14 pm

I meant patient's reaction, but thanks for answering an unclear question anyway.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:17 am

where's my oxycontin you rat bastard

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:14 am

don't you find that pharmacy crumpets boring

RockNRoll.Sturm

Post by RockNRoll.Sturm » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:05 am

Well, congrats on getting as far as you have now :) Sounds like you've been very very busy.

If you still are, how much longer will you be attending pharmacy school? What kind of credits/class schedule do you have now, or else what did it look like before if you are no longer attending classes? Are there corporations or organizations that would hire individuals of your expertise, and if so, what are the titles of those positions? Will your capabilities be bringing you abroad, possibly to third world countries?

Edit: Oh yeah, dunno if this counts as a personal question, and I doubt you truly have time to do so... but GipFace and Sven have been playing AW:DS games and turning its meta-game on its head for awhile now in the WWN irc :) Any chance you will participate?
O_O

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Kanzer - Assuming you were serious, no drugs is probably best.

Deoxy - Chemotherapy drugs have strange names. I always had a hard time pronouncing dabigatran.

Bonesy - There is a lot more to it than that.

Narts - Depends on where your interests. Retail is where the money is at, but there is probably something for everyone in pharmacy.

RockNRoll.Sturm - Hopefully, another six months. If I pursue a residency, it will be another year or two. Classes are varied depending on the school, but it's generally the same. I don't want to go into specifics, because the way I call my classes will reveal where I am. As for corporations or organizations, we're generally the same thing. Pharmacists, staff pharmacists, clinical pharmacists, we're likely to have pharmacy or pharmacist in the title. Technically, our skill set does bring us to other countries, but I don't know too much about that.

As a side note, I can't play AWDS anymore. DoR has changed me.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 pm

What kind of GPA do you need to get into pharmacy school?

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:36 pm

I went in pharmacy school straight out of high school. My GPA out of high school was 3.7 on a 4-point scale.

I hear you need at least a 3.0, maybe 3.5 if you're applying to pharmacy school after a 2-year pre-pharmacy track or 4-year bachelor degree. It's competitive and GPA is one way to narrow the candidates.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Re: Ask me about being a pharmacist

Post by DTaeKim » Sat May 21, 2011 3:38 am

I graduated this past Saturday. I'm now officially a pharmacist.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat May 21, 2011 5:08 am

Grats, Kimmy!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sat May 21, 2011 8:25 am

*claps*
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:06 am

Today, we had a child die. Granted, he was terminal and died peacefully, but it doesn't make it any easier.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 am

Genuine question that's probably retarded: What is the definition of "drug"? If eating badly/well can affect how we feel and our energy levels or even make us ill, is every consumable food or drink item technically speaking a drug? Would you call things like vitamin tablets drugs?

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:13 pm

I've always admired how people in the medical business deal with death

for that, I find Scrubs was good for a medical drama because it dealt with people dying. people die all the fudge time, and when you work with such a profession, you have to see it happen more often than most.

it's a hard battle, but we all greatly appreciate all the wonderful work that y'all do. Thanks.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Aye, kinda worried about that with what I'm planning to go into...

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm

daisy wrote:Genuine question that's probably retarded: What is the definition of "drug"? If eating badly/well can affect how we feel and our energy levels or even make us ill, is every consumable food or drink item technically speaking a drug? Would you call things like vitamin tablets drugs?
My school taught that a drug is a substance that affects some process in a person or animal and is not a food. That answers your second question. I do consider vitamins drugs if they are contained in a pill, tablet, liquid, etc., not if they are a part of food.

I deal with death distantly. It happens and I favor hospice and palliative care. I can talk a little more about it if you want.

I thought about turning this into a daily musing about being a pharmacist on days when I work.

Today, I went over a patient's home medications. The patient mentioned she was only taking Nexium. When I asked her if she took any other medications, she said no. When I asked if she took any OTC medications or herbal products, she remembered she took albuterol, which is another prescription product. I'm wondering if she thought it was OTC or simply forgot she took it.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:57 am

monkymeet wrote:I've always admired how people in the medical business deal with death
Even though I have no intention of joining the medical field, does it make me a bad person if I literally don't care? I've witnessed death on more than a few occasions, a couple of them being distant family, and I simply do no react, externally or internally.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:58 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:
monkymeet wrote:I've always admired how people in the medical business deal with death
Even though I have no intention of joining the medical field, does it make me a bad person if I literally don't care? I've witnessed death on more than a few occasions, a couple of them being distant family, and I simply do no react, externally or internally.
There is a difference between hearing about a death and witnessing death in person. If it is the death of a complete stranger, then you wouldn't expect to feel too much about it except a little sympathy. Regardless, watching the deceased's family members weep gets to a lot of people, even if you didn't know the person intimately. It's called empathy.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Monday, July 1

I spent about 30-40% of my time working in the oncology clinic. One of my technicians who specialize in billing called me today. It seems we were charging the wrong price and product for one of our patients. This is an issue because the difference for us (and the patient) is about $3500. The patient in question qualifies for free drug, but we were billing it wrong. I had to troubleshoot the issue with her for about fifteen minutes before we worked out a makeshift solution. Unfortunately, I can't test it until I have a new order for the drug. It will have to wait for one of my colleagues to try it out.

These are the things you don't learn in school. You have to figure stuff out on the fly or as some of my colleagues say, "Adapt or die."

Litzana

Post by Litzana » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Do you know any decent natural remedies for severe hayfever?

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 am

I have both witnessed others weeping for family that is close to them, and witnessed the passing itself. A car crash, cancer+complications, and a heart attack (my family is ridiculously prone to health problems).
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Litzana wrote:Do you know any decent natural remedies for severe hayfever?
Why do you want a natural remedy? I would just recommend an anti-histamine unless your allergies are that bad. I don't know of any herbal products that act as one off the top of my head.
hawkesnightmare wrote:I have both witnessed others weeping for family that is close to them, and witnessed the passing itself. A car crash, cancer+complications, and a heart attack (my family is ridiculously prone to health problems).
I don't want to play psychiatrist, but honestly, some people deal with death differently. In my opinion, if you start flaunting the fact that death doesn't bother you, you might run into issues.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Not flaunting. Just asking.