Alors! Dann!! WWN learns a new language!

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Sven

Re: Alors! Dann!! WWN learns a new language!

Post by Sven » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 am

One of the things I've noticed is that there are a large number(thousands?) of words that I recognize by sight, without knowing their readings. Eventually, I usually learn pronunciations of words by hearing them said in a similar context, and my mind makes the connection between the character and the spoken word. In some sense, it seems that I have "almost" learned these words, and it only takes hearing their pronunciation once to fully learn them.

I've decided that my best bet for the next month or so is to focus entirely on these words, they seem to be the lowest hanging fruit available to me in Japanese.

As an example:

In a text with 350 sentences:
45 sentences contained words I didn't know the readings for (13%ish?), but I understood the meaning of the sentence without the need of a dictionary. These are "easy" sentences.
But only 3 sentences contained words I didn't know the readings for and I couldn't figure out the meaning of the sentence without a dictionary(1%). These are "hard" sentences.

I've decided to add the "easy" sentences to Anki.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:21 am

I've started on the (admittedly ambitious) goal of learning every single word in a visual novel I'm reading. This novel involves several different routes, each of which tells its own story. Once all the different routes are factored in, the novel is something silly like over 800 000 words. That's as long as half the Harry Potter series.

For now I'm going to focus on learning all the words from one route (200 000 words). It'll probably be between 1000-2000 words, so it'll take up the next couple months. Maybe?
---
IDK anyway holllllly crap they need to hire an editor or something these things are way too long.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:53 pm

so how does one say "not that i like you or anything" in japanese
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:38 am

I-It's not that l-like you or anything!

"BE-BETSU NI ANTA NO KOTO NANKA SU-SUKI JYANAI N DAKARA NE"
---
More generally you can say something that would roughly translate to

___じゃないんだからね! (___JYANAI-N-DAKARA-NE)
"It's not that ___ or anything!"

The ending じゃないんだからね! (JYANAI-N-DAKARA-NE) is basically never used elsewhere other than these tsundere characters. It seems to be a way bigger thing in English than in Japanese.

anyway, if pk/xen someone looking wants to see some memes, you can search "んだからね" on google images to get a bunch of japanese tsundere memes.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 pm

oh i found audiobooks and i've been listening to them a lot

that's this months update lol