So I need dating advice. Badly.

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
scraggypunk

Re: So I need dating advice. Badly.

Post by scraggypunk » Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 pm

there is no such thing as "the one"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon May 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Yes there is and it's you Neo.

But you gotta free your mind first.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 pm

Blitzkrieg into the heart.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Thu May 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Well Guesty? Are you a paramour yet? Are blouses and bodices ripping in a 32 kilometer radius of you?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat May 28, 2016 12:28 pm

guess we'll have to wait until next year for his next update
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 28, 2016 3:51 pm

"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Anyway my only advice is not to listen to Narts. Not just in this topic, but literally anywhere. He's kind of human garbage.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 28, 2016 3:57 pm

props to PK for the DENNIS system btw

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 28, 2016 4:05 pm

ANYWAY here is my advice, which is pretty great especially for folks who are socially awkward in a way that may or may not be reflected by the DSM-5:

monkeymeet's advice is pretty great. FIND A FRIEND GROUP. not just any friendgroup, but a friendgroup IN MEATSPACE. this is probably actually the most important step to getting a girlfriend, but also a great life choice. you ever see any friend groups in popular culture? idk, the study group from community. the friends from friends? all that? this will be a brigade that will probably include people less socially awkward than you (i mean, unless it doesn't, but idk). your friend group should have both guys and gals, obviously. then you will have a brigade of people who will help you with your problems, including lady troubles. plus, LADIES DON'T LIKE KIDS WITHOUT A FRIEND GROUP!

anyway: the okcupid/tinder world DOES work, but only if you have a pretty great idea of what you're looking for and kinda feel like a jiujitsu champion while using it. does not sound like it would work for you.

i am actually pretty surprised to hear that people are under the impression that speed dating is still a thing? i mean, it might be, but it's also kinda just a punchline now

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat May 28, 2016 6:45 pm

You are just jealous because you aren't always 100% right about everything like I am.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun May 29, 2016 4:29 am

wait joey you are getting too ahead of yourself

how to find friend group???
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun May 29, 2016 4:43 am

spam lfg on global channel

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun May 29, 2016 5:35 am

Pkdragon wrote:wait joey you are getting too ahead of yourself

how to find friend group???
This is a good question! Does anyone have good advice on this? Buddies from college is obviously a way to go.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun May 29, 2016 6:24 am

Yeah, real talk, part of my problem is that I got out of touch with my buddies from college. By that I mean I stopped checking facebook, I was invited to a wedding but of course it happened to be at the same time as the opening day for my first real job (and of course I felt super guilty about that so I compounded the problem by being too scared to talk them), and basically there were a couple of other times they reached out and I was too socially anxious to even reply.

So even the thought of getting back in contact with my old college buddies makes me freak out.

I mean, right now it's just not a big deal because I'm honestly pretty happy alone- as you might gather, I actually am pretty socially awkward in real life to the point that just hanging out with anyone stresses me out, and a social life was the least of my concerns when I was trying to figure out how to survive- but now I have a real job that is making me legitimate amounts of money, so I can finally start considering maybe expanding my horizons again.

But I mean, how do you even make friends after the great ice breaker, school, is gone? That's the big problem for me.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun May 29, 2016 7:18 am

right now it's more of a problem on how to keep socially active with my friends now that they start getting kids
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun May 29, 2016 7:35 am

how to make friends as an adult:
co-workers
people of the same hobby
volunteer work
being an active member of your community
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun May 29, 2016 8:18 am

Pkdragon wrote:But I mean, how do you even make friends after the great ice breaker, school, is gone? That's the big problem for me.
I find it easier post-school to make friends, although admittedly it's almost always via a mutual friend and never a new social circle.

Also I recommend Ingress if your phone is capable enough. It's a great way to take the hobby/habit of gaming and actually make it good for you lol. Most cities have friendly communities and it's great exercise if you don't do it by car. (I walked 7 miles yesterday that I wouldn't have otherwise)

Linky

Post by Linky » Sun May 29, 2016 9:57 am

You meet a lot of people by taking up a hobby. I met loads of people (mostly girls actually) when learning French and German.

I also ran into a bunch of people when I tried to learn to dance Salsa, but most of them were girls looking for a dance partner and I used to go with someone.

So, uh, pro tip, dancing lessons? Women usually outnumber men so you'll have no problem finding a partner. You'll get paired with someone by the teacher even if you're socially brain dead.

Plus dancing lessons, or french, or german, are all great skills to have!

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:58 am

if I wasn't knee deep in hacking projects and phds right now I would probably take up a dancing class. take up dancing peeps
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 29, 2016 11:53 am

I do admit, I miss swing dancing a lot.

It was one of those things I had to cut away when trying to finish the PhD.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun May 29, 2016 2:19 pm

dancing is cool and good
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun May 29, 2016 3:08 pm

my hobby is gaming tho

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon May 30, 2016 2:48 am

Pkdragon wrote:my hobby is gaming tho
Masturbating is also a hobby.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Tue May 31, 2016 10:48 am

scraggypunk wrote:there is no such thing as "the one"
True.

There are many many people that could be compatible partners for each of us. But there are many that aren't. Therefore, there is a pool of "one"s.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 am

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue May 31, 2016 3:11 pm

It's about pretending to be a nice and caring person so you can trick women into having sex with you.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue May 31, 2016 7:23 pm

...There are moments I am glad to be asexual and reading through this thread is one of these.
My sig is a void.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:53 am

grindr your way to the top

Guesty

Post by Guesty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:09 am

So I recently started talking to this girl from online and we met in person. I feel like things may be dying out again. For calling, do I have to ask via text if the person is busy or should I just call?
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:14 am

nobody calls anymore, guesty
wisdom

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Calling may be more romantic, though.
But if you want romance, you should probably spend an evening with her in some fancy place, whatever she likes.

And don't talk about sex too quickly - that can be a big turn-off (irrespective of gender actually). I know quite a few persons that were eager to start a relationship, went physical too quickly, and the relationship just collapsed within the week after that.
My sig is a void.

Guesty

Post by Guesty » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:03 am

So I haven't gotten a text back from her yesterday or today. Oh well, time to find someone else I guess or just wait. What are good dating sites other than OK Cupid? And how do I meet people in real life?
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 am

grindr

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:02 am

Your local red light district.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:40 am

play pathfinder society

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:41 pm

play pokemon go
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 pm

jack off and the feeling goes away

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 pm

You're better of asking this somebody you trust in a private conversation. It's snark bait here.

Although Pokemon Go has weird social benefits..

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:37 am

Yeah it's great for getting to know all the 9yo girls

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:33 am

i don't think there are good dating sites, quite frankly
wisdom