Homeless people

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Homeless people

Post by Bog » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:20 am

Yesterday I was approached by a guy in the street. He asked for money so he could eat. Unfortunately, I had none on me, so I had to apologise solemnly and move on. He kinda looked all disappointed and said "thanks anyway". I saw him later on as I walked past again and he all friendly towards me. "Hi, how're you doing mate", etc. I felt guilty as Hell. I had given him nothing, and yet he was still friendly.

Another situation a few months back was when I bought a poster in HMV. The cashier gave me the wrong change, so, being the good Christian, I was on my way to return it when I was approached by a guy who looked like he hadn't washed in ages. I gave him the change instead. Was this morally right? I could have either gave the money to a guy who has to fight for one square meal a day or to a huge cooperate establishment worth millions. This question has haunted my thoughts ever since.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Homeless people

Post by Linkman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:30 am

1st point: There's no reason for him to be angry at you, it's not like an obligation is it? I try to give these guys money whenever I can (even though the vast majority of them are perfectly healthy and just fake it; at least over here), but if I weren't able to spare the change at the moment and they got angry about it, then I don't think they deserve it in the first place, that's just bloody ungrateful. This doesn't really happen though.

2nd point: If given the choice, I'd go for the homeless guy without thinking it twice.

A much bigger discussion point, though, is the concept of Bumfights in the US, where spoiled middle-upper class kids offer homeless guys food or money to fight each other. It's probably one of the most despicable things I've heard, seriously.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:13 am

Oy, haven't heard of bum fights before this.

I only see homeless people around heavy traffic areas. Usually, they have signs or they're fighting each other over a spot. They've been getting kicked out by the po-po, though, as of late.

Poor bastards.
Hooded_Miracle wrote:It needs some 'The Devil went down to Georgia,' because I'm pretty sure the devil doesn't like Georgia. >_>
Shift Breaker wrote:No, you're thinking of the Russians.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Bum fights sound... awful. Some people really need to grow a heart. I haven't come across it before, though.

Has anybody read the veeery small book called Stone Cold? It's a very good book about a guy who is made homeless. His friends end up getting killed by a serial killer and he tries to make his way in the homeless scene in London. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a good 1 hour - 2 hours of reading fun.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:41 pm

I read that book way back in Secondary School. Good read.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:15 pm

So did I. I enjoyed it so much I bought it myself.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumfights

But if you think this is over, a single google search proves you wrong. I just can't see how there's people willing to buy these tapes. Hell, VGCts made a comic about it (further sinking to the depths of suckiness.)
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:24 am

being the good Christian
>_______________>

On topic, I would have given it to the homeless guy. The homeless guy needs it much more than some company. The company made a mistake, yes, and if there was no one to give it to, returning it would be the right thing.

Don't worry about it, Boggers, you did the right thing.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:29 am

Give it a rest with that quote. >_>

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:27 am

Rexi, don't be stupid. Just take it easy. If you're going to worry about morals for every little thing like those that happens in your life, you're always gonna be wondering whether you did the right thing or not. Not that there's anything wrong on that, but it's a lot easier if you just do things from the heart.

Being the good christian, I'm pretty sure that grants you a good rate of good deeds without excessive wondering.

So think less, and just act truely. You did just fine. Keep going your way.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Sirdangolot5

Post by Sirdangolot5 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:13 am

I woulda returned the change and given him some OTHER money.
But who cares.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:13 pm

well then

you simply must be jesus
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Sirdangolot5

Post by Sirdangolot5 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Either way it's no big deal.
However, I've heard that if the balance is wrong at the end of the day, the cashier has to pay the balance...
:smallstar: :smallstar: :smallstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:
useless smilies

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:33 pm

lern2CCO if you think they're useless.

Tronn_Bonne

Post by Tronn_Bonne » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 am

I've had a few bad "run ins" with homeless people so I am always careful around them.
"I wish my PS1 wasn't dead. Talking to you makes me wanna go play Megaman Legends again." - JuggerV2
“Tronn wins an internet. Or all the Koal quotes that ever existed.. You decide.” - Guesty

SJCrew

Post by SJCrew » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:09 pm

I've seen a few homeless people in my lifetime, but that was mostly when traveling with my my family or someone else, in which case they provided the money instead.
Hi, I play DoR PM me for a match.

PSN: the_sjcrew

Playing: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Friend me if you want to join my lobbies and/or compete!

Guesty

Post by Guesty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:38 pm

I've mostly seen them in Europe. I always try to persuade my parents to give them money. However, one of the beggars wore nice clothing and was young, so my mother was suspicious and when I asked her to give her money, she said no (we were at a distance so the beggar couldn't hear). Being naive, I didn't understand why until my mother explained it to me, and I still wanted to give money to her. Incidentally, we've never been harassed by any of them.

Just thinking about beggars make me feel sorry for them, especially elderly ones :(
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:48 am

homeless people all have mental instabilities in canadia lol

everyone else is in WORKER HOUSING

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:46 am

I will be willing to donate my time and money for a homeless family, but I won't do the same for a homeless person.
What can change the nature of a man?