I Move Into College

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Re: I Move Into College

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:26 am

Over here we have a program called PSEO that let's us high school students take classes at college (university). Most everyone at my school takes their PSEO classes at a nearby community college (Community College=Hell on Earth). I took a calculus class (equivalent to Single Variable Calculus I) last year at my high school, and they weren't going to let me take Single Variable Calculus II at their college because I hadn't taken a college Calculus I course yet. I fought through this all summer and I'm taking Single Variable Calculus II right now and have an A.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:46 am

lol you want to be a math prof unakau

at least you can communicate now

also fudge you

the only classes i can go to community college for are crumpets like women's studies, introduction to writing, and english 101

also lol at the concept of accelerated math study at all in my school board. you'd have to push for it so hard it's not even funny, and even then you'd barely be learning calculus by 16.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:38 am

I had to bother them all summer about this. It's fudge crazy.

Also, my high school is fudge hardcore and you need to pass calculus to graduate.

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:45 am

What's Calc 2? Power series or something? o_O

I had calc at school, but we only had 2 weekly hours for the subject (yet P.E. and Art were mandatory... :?), so we only got to see really basic stuff. I had to do them again at uni, though, so it's no biggie.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:51 am

Single Variable Calculus II started off with integration by substitution in my current class, but my class in high school actually already covered that.

Basically it's just more advanced integration. At least this unit is. I'm only staying two or so lessons ahead.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:55 am

I don't know calculus.

I'm pretty sure my life is gonna suck. >_>
Hooded_Miracle wrote:It needs some 'The Devil went down to Georgia,' because I'm pretty sure the devil doesn't like Georgia. >_>
Shift Breaker wrote:No, you're thinking of the Russians.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:06 am

Unakau wrote:Single Variable Calculus II started off with integration by substitution in my current class, but my class in high school actually already covered that.

Basically it's just more advanced integration. At least this unit is. I'm only staying two or so lessons ahead.
Ah, okay then. Really, there's only so much you can do with a function >_>
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Guesty

Now delivering Bright Slaps to a store near you.

Post by Guesty » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:15 am

Hooded_Miracle wrote:I don't know calculus.

I'm pretty sure my life is gonna suck. >_>
Instead of always saying that you can do something about it, like learn Calculus in your spare time. Or gain self-confidence and do everything in your power to make your life not suck (maybe starting from the premise that you and your life is awesome and then do everything you can to make those statements true).

On a related topic: I know someone at my high school who's taking Precalculus as a freshman because she took online courses. Then again, I'm taking Algebra II, Biology, and French 3 as a freshman (not because of online courses, though), so she specialized while I generalized I guess.
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:20 am

Well, yeah, I COULD do that. >_>

Eh, maybe.
Hooded_Miracle wrote:It needs some 'The Devil went down to Georgia,' because I'm pretty sure the devil doesn't like Georgia. >_>
Shift Breaker wrote:No, you're thinking of the Russians.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:21 am

Linkman wrote:
Unakau wrote:Single Variable Calculus II started off with integration by substitution in my current class, but my class in high school actually already covered that.

Ah, okay then. Really, there's only so much you can do with a function >_>
I learn multi-variable calculus next semester.

I will be so happy to have that much done before I go into college.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:23 pm

complex analysis is where the crumpets is at

multivariable calculus is pretty bookkeeping but that's about it though =/
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Thank God I'm done with them math courses. Oh wait, statistics. God dammit I hate statistics.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:07 pm

Una's school sounds better organised than mine, Sven. I had to wait about A YEAR for my GCSE certificates purely because they were disorganised. (GCSEs are the exams you take when you're 16)

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:48 pm

I live at home and my Uni is 45 minutes away by subway.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:39 am

haha you want something good

sven as a freshman goes into his school

"alright we've got AP, you'll get your own classes doing specialized prep, so that by the time you're a senior you'll already have done the HS curriculum and you'll be able to spend your time doing pure AP classes/other uni crap at the college (which is like your community college i guess) next door."

"ok thank you, guess i don't have to go to the other school that has IB and doesn't look sketchy at all compared to this one! thank you!"

*next year*

"so yeah there are only 20 kids in AP so we must merge you with normal kids this means we can't teach you anything accelerated, but we will next year. also btw we're a religious school and you must take it all four years"

"ok you better next year"

*next year*

"hahaha we aren't teaching you anything this year either it was a trick"
"uh fine i will try and switch into a different school"
"NO YOU CAN'T IT'S TOO LATE RAWR WE WILL HAVE AP NEXT YEAR I SWEAR"
"uh sure whatever you say, i'll give you one year and that's it"

*next year*

"haha way too fudge late for you guys we aren't teaching you crumpets extra!"
"oh thank you very much, time to investigate a school change"

"hello i would like to join your school i see you have xxx program"
"sorry but we don't accept transfers this late"
"what"
"if you had come in grade 10 you could have caught up but by this point we are already through the grade 11 curriculum and i see you have just started"
"well thank you very much!"

*next year*

grr i'm stuck in useless academic school with classes with useless jocks grr they turned it into an arts school grr if only i wanted to do something useless with my life grr

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:42 am

also my school is like 500/600 on province highschool ratings lol

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:19 am

My school would be high up on high school rankings, but they don't even acknowledge it. We're a charter school (charter schools are public schools and are often for people who don't speak English or are retarded) but we score the highest in the state pretty consistently, beating out Mounds Park Academy ($10,000 per year to go there). Basically, we fudge people's crumpets up.

Also, by junior year maybe a third or quarter or sometimes half of the people take some classes at the nearby community college, and by senior year maybe half of the people are talking all of their classes there and most others are taking some of their classes there.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:26 am

My ex school is apparently the best comp in the county, and like 5th best nationally.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:51 am

what is the first year you guys get actual course choice?

like here, you don't really get any course choice until junior year until then everything is mandatory to fill diploma requirements, and you take the same courses as everyone else.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:02 am

Depends how you define "course choice".

In Year 9 (Age 13) you usually get to choose 4/5/6/7 subjects to do for two years for your big exams when you're 16. The only thing is, some subjects are compulsory. Most kids are forced to do English, Maths, some form of Science and PE. I was also made to do Religious Studies but that's optional with most schools. (And I would have picked it anyway.)

I was also "told" to choose Art when I really wanted to do Business Studies. Basically because I was doing three subjects involving computers, but I'm still pissed off about that.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:21 am

the moment you can choose a subject.

until grade 11 here you don't get any choice in your courses. maybe 2-3 on whether you do art or music, gym or business, but beyond that nothing big.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:22 am

Sven wrote:what is the first year you guys get actual course choice?

like here, you don't really get any course choice until junior year until then everything is mandatory to fill diploma requirements, and you take the same courses as everyone else.
The year you go PSEO (take classes at the community college) is the first year that you get course choice. For me, that was this year.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:28 am

so until then, you have been placed in generic level classes with anyone from the smartest nerds, to the most retarded kids who skip school and do crack?

It Is Unakau

Post by It Is Unakau » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:22 am

Sven wrote:so until then, you have been placed in generic level classes with anyone from the smartest nerds, to the most retarded kids who skip school and do crack?
Our school is small. It's grades 6-12 with about 300 people. The only main thing that is handled by grade is math, and at best you can finish calculus by tenth grade. However, there are a few honor's classes. There are a few prerequisites for them, but you are given the option of taking honor's geometry, honor's pre-calculus, honor's calculus, honor's chemistry, honor's physics, honor's political science, and honor's American History. There's a rather limited selection of classes, but they're usually accelerated anyway, considering that you need advanced classes like calculus for graduation.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:44 am

It Is Unakau wrote:
Sven wrote:so until then, you have been placed in generic level classes with anyone from the smartest nerds, to the most retarded kids who skip school and do crack?
Our school is small. It's grades 6-12 with about 300 people. The only main thing that is handled by grade is math, and at best you can finish calculus by tenth grade. However, there are a few honor's classes. There are a few prerequisites for them, but you are given the option of taking honor's geometry, honor's pre-calculus, honor's calculus, honor's chemistry, honor's physics, honor's political science, and honor's American History. There's a rather limited selection of classes, but they're usually accelerated anyway, considering that you need advanced classes like calculus for graduation.
i see

you get LEVEL choice

we get two levels, average and dumb (academic/applied). none of this honours crap, our unis don't even recognize it. you either go to college/work with applied, or uni with academic.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:55 am

Actually, all of our honor's and non-honor's courses (honor's calc and calc) are the same class. Honor's people just take slightly harder tests and get a one point boost in GPA for that class (B-=A-). Honor's also looks better for college here.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:08 am

Unakau wrote:Actually, all of our honor's and non-honor's courses (honor's calc and calc) are the same class. Honor's people just take slightly harder tests and get a one point boost in GPA for that class (B-=A-). Honor's also looks better for college here.
so essentially it's the exact same as our joke of an AP program

ALRIGHT WHO'S AP. OK ANSWER THESE EXTRA QUESTIONS EVERYMONTH GET 10% BONUS.

10% bonus is like a three point boost i think in the AP system though.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:31 am

The school I go to (and the school WhiteyMcTool recently graduated from) has pretty much an extreme academics level system. For every class (barring freshman history), there are at least three levels: intro (the easiest), college prep (in the middle), and honors (the hardest). If you're an ubernerd (like myself), you'd take honors everything (English, Math, Science, Language, History), and if you were slightly less smart (but still willing to learn), you'd take college-prep courses. And as you get up into the junior/senior grade level (Years 11 and 12) you have the option of taking AP-level courses instead of the honors level course.

As I've gone through the years, I've noticed that most of my classes have stayed pretty much the same. My calculus class this year is almost exactly the same as my precalculus class last year, due to the level system we've got in place.

The only class at my school in which college-level and honors-level students are mixed is 12th grade Social Science (which isn't a history class, as my section is covering the '08 Election, Psychology, and Crime, instead of actual history), and the only major difference is that I need to do two majorish projects a quarter compared to 1-majorish project a quarter for the college-level people.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:54 am

Question for Americans/Canadians:

Over here we call your "college" "university". We call college the stopgap between "high school" and uni. What's your stopgap called, or do you just do "high school" until 18 and go straight to uni?

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:10 am

There is no "stopgap", or whatever you wanna call it.

Soon as you graduate high school, you go straight to a university.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:11 am

canadian system:

do elementary school from grades kindergarten-8. everyone gets the same education here.
go to highschool, do grade 9-12. you get on a college track or a university track here. difference between tracks is minimal, and they're often taught same class.

go to either college (technical school/community college, one year programs to basically set you up with a job immediately.)
or university (four years, they hand out bachelor's degrees, masters, etc.)
or work :)

applications to college/university is based purely on your top six marks in grade 12. i did nothing for my first three years of highschool except set myself up for a good grade 12 schedule, should pay off with me getting into our best uni.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:13 am

oh, and quebec of course has a completely fudge up system that i don't understand at all. basically yes they have a college->uni europeish thing because that's what they get off to.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:53 am

Here it's slightly different. Primary school years reception-6, Secondary school years 7-11, and then you have three paths. You can either stay on at school and do AS/A-Levels until Year 13, and then go to Uni. Or you can go to a Sixth Form college (Or just college) and do your AS/A-Levels there. You do your AS levels in Year 12 and then your A-Levels in in Year 13. Or you can do an Apprenticeship and get a specialist qualification that *could* lead to Uni depending on what it is. (Apprenticeships are usually in things like plumbing, building, etc. Mostly physical work.)

I've gone a slightly weird route. I did my AS levels in Year 12 at college, and then came out because I only needed AS levels to get into an IT college for computer geeks. My reason for doing this is because there's less arseholes there than at standard college, and it actually gets me a better qualification in the long run. The downside is that I'll lag a year behind my peers in the race to uni. (I'd got to uni at 19 instead of 18)

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:00 am

Quebec has 6 years elementary, 5 high school, then 2 of this weird limbo between high school and university called CEGEP that basically gets you a free year in any north american university, then actual university.
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:41 am

i can get quebec tuition at mcgill if i live there 3 months without taking classes :P

McTool

Post by McTool » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:51 am

I never took Calculus.

Hopefully, I never will take Calculus.

I would post a picture of how much ass I kicked (in terms of everyone in my school going to my college), but the system used to get said image was deleted for me when I left high school. oneway could do it.
Make good choices

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:02 am

What's the difference between Calculus and Maths? I never did it.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:19 am

It is finding the instantaneous rate of change of a curve (the derivative) or the area under the curve (the integral). It gets quite a bit more complex than algebra, especially when you start to integrate.

Imagine that you have f(x)=x^2.

Now you are trying to find the instantaneous rate of change using calculus. Let's find the instantaneous rate of change at x=1.

Because f '(x)=2*x (this is the derivative function of f(x)), the instantaneous rate of change at x=1 is 2*1=2.

That's basically as simple as it gets.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:20 am

calculus they introduce derivatives and crumpets

seriously overrated stuff

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:48 am

Una: Saying "Function Analysis" would have sufficed and you wouldn't have looked like a huge nerd. >_>

Calc is mighty useful, but a lot of it is filler stuff.