I Move Into College

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Re: I Move Into College

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:57 am

i am a huge math nerd and function analysis would not have properly described it
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:16 am

yes it would have

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:20 am

WhiteyMcTool wrote:I would post a picture of how much ass I kicked (in terms of everyone in my school going to my college), but the system used to get said image was deleted for me when I left high school. oneway could do it.
Indeed he could.

For those too lazy to figure out how to read the graph on its own, the y-axis is GPA, the x-axis is SAT scores (out of 1600), and the green lines represent averages for the University as a whole. The little symbols represent people from our high school who applied to that school.

The blue ring around the symbol represents McTool's grades/SATs, proving that he kicked ass in comparison to everyone else. The red ring around the empty space shows where I stand compared to everyone else. There's just no symbol there because I haven't (and likely won't) apply there.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:20 am

A lot of what Una said went right over my head, but I get the gist of it. I'm only passable at maths. (Scraped a C lol)

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:27 am

and you're going into comp sci... but you hate math

gl to you

lol

also woo bragging on the internet

why are your SATs out of 1600, i thought they were 2400 or something

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:33 am

Ah, but that is when you buy one of these.

My uncle is crap at maths, yet he got a degree in computer science lol. That was like 10 years ago though.

The whole point of computers is that they think for you. It is their primary function.
Last edited by Bog on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:38 am

i have no doubt you will be able to get through a bachelor's but you may find yourself having difficulties if you try and go further, or you'll have to improve your math skills.

McTool

Post by McTool » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:44 am

Sven wrote:also woo bragging on the internet

why are your SATs out of 1600, i thought they were 2400 or something
A) I love bragging on the internet.

B) They are out of 2400, but most schools don't care about the SAT essay, they care about the essay THEY make you write for them. So it's really still 1600.

oneway pwnd my ass on the SAT's. This is because he is a chief at math and stuff, and is in general a better student than I am.

This is okay. I just pwnd my Psych homework. All is good.

EDIT: Also, yeah, oneway, don't come here. It's fine for me, because I love coasting and throwing my own raves, but you'd go nuts.
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:47 am

what do your sats cover anyway

generic wah learn to read crap and math up to where?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:55 am

I believe Bogman is going for Programming, not Computer Science. They're two very different careers. I still think he should opt for the latter, though.

Also, American university entrance system is silly. Lol @ picking students based on an essay.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:30 am

WhiteyMcTool wrote:EDIT: Also, yeah, oneway, don't come here. It's fine for me, because I love coasting and throwing my own raves, but you'd go nuts.
With all respect to your school, I have no plans on going where you're going.

My school-searching criteria includes having a student loan deficit of at least 100k unless I get serious financial aid (which unfortunately is unlikely ._.) and having an Overachiever:Underachiever ratio higher than our high school (although I can't quite explain how I somehow am both an overachiever and an underachiever).
Sven wrote:what do your sats cover anyway

generic wah learn to read crap and math up to where?
For the reading section you're pretty much totally right.

For the math you get stuff like basic fudge addition that a fifth grader can do in their sleep (2 sodas cost 8 bucks, one costs 1.60 more than the other, what's the cheaper one cost?), or stuff like exponents (if 8^n = 2^k what's the ratio of n/k?).

Basically if you payed attention at all during Algebra class you should be fine, and if you're not a complete dumbass you should be doubly fine. Although the scale can fudge you up. I got 1 question wrong (and I answered all of the rest of them correctly) and I got a 780.

Also, Linkeh, from what I've heard from admissions people, they don't pick students based solely on the essay. Grades, SATs, Extracurriculars, and so on have a pretty good impact on the admissions process.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:43 am

i cannot even begin to explain how much better the act is than the sat

a google search for "sat criticism" will return so many fudge results that are relevant

a google search for "act criticism" will return very little, and the only thing that i even saw is an argument that says that the act "pressures students," which the sat does too

also how is picking a student based on an essay bad

an interview would be better and stuff

but like it's better than just numbers

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:57 am

you know what would be better

picking the student based on their class marks in senior year

oh yeah

+ don't forget just the numbers are good enough for most programs

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:00 pm

my gpa is not good so my act and essay are really fudge important and i would totally love to do interviews because i really want to get into a good school

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:06 pm

My GPA is pretty good, but when you look at the schools I'm looking at, I'm hovering right over the line, which is annoying.

Which means I have to do well in English this semester (like, A- well), and knowing my teacher, that'll be difficult.

Also I'd take the ACT but my SAT scores are good enough, and I'm not looking at anything west of New York.

Also, standardized tests suck any way you look at 'em. Even if the ACT is good, it doesn't really judge much. Sure, it may be better than the SAT, but in the grand scheme of things, that isn't saying much.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Unakau wrote:my gpa is not good so my act and essay are really fudge important and i would totally love to do interviews because i really want to get into a good school
that's your fault for not keeping your GPA up and you don't deserve to go to a good school

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:09 pm

Linkman wrote:Una: Saying "Function Analysis" would have sufficed and you wouldn't have looked like a huge nerd. >_>

Calc is mighty useful, but a lot of it is filler stuff.
the problem here is functional analysis is an actual subject that is significantly (i mean SIGNIFICANTLY) harder than calculus and is usually reserved to fourth year students who have mastered real analysis

also the difference between math and calculus is math is the broad subject, duh
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:09 pm

you do need to be pretty smart to get 30+ scores and 2000+ scores

it says that at least

my gpa says little about me except for "THIS KID HAS DIFFICULTY GETTING HOMEWORK DONE AND HE IS GREAT AT TESTS BUT GPA DOESN'T CONVEY THAT"

hey sven this semester i plan on acing my classes and for me getting started with schoolwork is an endless struggle so why you gotta be a dick like that

Why have I been typing with no punctuation? I'll stop doing that.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Unakau wrote:you do need to be pretty smart to get 30+ scores and 2000+ scores

it says that at least

my gpa says little about me except for "THIS KID HAS DIFFICULTY GETTING HOMEWORK DONE AND HE IS GREAT AT TESTS BUT GPA DOESN'T CONVEY THAT"

hey sven this semester i plan on acing my classes and for me getting started with schoolwork is an endless struggle so why you gotta be a dick like that

Why have I been typing with no punctuation? I'll stop doing that.
if you have difficulty getting work done why should i let you into my university when i could take someone else with the exact same traits as you, just also able to do their work.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Because this semester I am demonstrating to you that I have the potential to ace courses. Please note that this time, I'm taking actual college classes at a college.

Once the semester grades come in, it will be magical.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:17 pm

because he has a score of 119 on the putnam obviously

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Unakau wrote:Because this semester I am demonstrating to you that I have the potential to ace courses. Please note that this time, I'm taking actual college classes at a college.

Once the semester grades come in, it will be magical.
in that case we wait and see if you really are any better then our other choices

also isn't putnam that silly uni math contest?

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:21 pm

actually it's the silly uni math contest worth 25000$

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:24 pm

But honestly, I think I actually have a shot to get into St. Olaf (the one I really want to go to) if I get good grades this semester. I especially think that an A in Single Variable Calculus II (which is currently happening) will be splenderrific.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:26 pm

st. olaf

fudge that's a great name for a school

also yes x0 i knew putnam was serious i just like to troll

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:32 pm

GET OUTTA MAH MIND, SVEEEEN

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 pm

fudge x0 i have to write the grade 12 waterloo contest this year to get into their uni or something :(:(:(

i've never actually looked at my raw score before just the fact that i was top of the school

what prep can i do lol

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:35 pm

you don't need to write it to get in their uni

ok actually you do need to write it but it doesn't matter what score you get it's just that if you get an awesome score you get a scholarship

if you want that scholarship the second best way is to just look at the older ones and try to do those to gauge your skill

the best way is to buy some books which I don't recommend unless you are aiming for 100% or something

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:37 pm

x0_000 wrote:you don't need to write it to get in their uni

ok actually you do need to write it but it doesn't matter what score you get it's just that if you get an awesome score you get a scholarship

if you want that scholarship the second best way is to just look at the older ones and try to do those to gauge your skill

the best way is to buy some books which I don't recommend unless you are aiming for 100% or something
how much money are we talking here

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:40 pm

I think the books come about 20-30$ each and there's like at least 3 recommended books or something

Scholarship money starts at 1000$ and goes at least to 5000$ I don't remember the max you can get

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:40 pm

x0_000 wrote:I think the books come about 20-30$ each and there's like at least 3 recommended books or something
oh ok awesome thanks for the edit

paying for the prep is no problem, i'm dishing out a hundred each to take like five AP tests.

know if any other unis care about the test or just waterloo?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:42 pm

x0_000 wrote:
Linkman wrote:Una: Saying "Function Analysis" would have sufficed and you wouldn't have looked like a huge nerd. >_>

Calc is mighty useful, but a lot of it is filler stuff.
the problem here is functional analysis is an actual subject that is significantly (i mean SIGNIFICANTLY) harder than calculus and is usually reserved to fourth year students who have mastered real analysis
There's like half a dozen of you people, it's not like what you think makes a difference.

And about the essay, I just don't see how you can rule out a student with better school and test marks because the other one was better at writing WHY HE WANTED IN. University admission should be a natural selection process, those more capable for the course need to be admitted.

Of course, that means you have to completely remake the admission tests, and make them judge capabilities for a specific career. Like, for a Law student, you need to measure his English and basic knowledge, but also how he would deal with specific situations regarding right or law. For instance, I would value more a person that, with little to no previous studies, is able to make a good argument in favor of a tricky situation than one that is able to write a good essay on why he wants to enter my university.

You can do exams for all careers and then you just have the students select the ones they want to take by the end of their senior year. Then they can decide their career and university choice strictly based on test results. It can even be a good vocational test.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:55 pm

I have spectacular test scores and a pretty below average GPA. I need that essay to shove me over the top along with my great grades this semester.

I'm not stating why I want in, I'm stating why it's a good idea for them to give me "in."

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:02 pm

I think school results are worth crap too, not all teachers demand the same from their student. But I think measuring school grades is important too. But until we can apply the same tests to all schools, the only score that should matter is the admission test's.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:04 pm

if everyone saw it like you did i'd be on my way to university of chicago or something

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:06 pm

Do you really deserve it? Then you should be there. Every year someone likes you misses his chance at Harvard/Yale/MIT/whatever is loss of talent.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:08 pm

if only the tests mattered a school will teach to the test

we already lose a month here everytime a test is coming up, would get even worse if we had a national test equivalent

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:09 pm

My GPA is fudge 2.56ish. This year I'm shooting for 3.5-4.0, but I think you can understand how it isn't even worth it to be applying to University of Chicago. Intelligence-wise, I'd deserve to be there, but work ethic-wise I'm not even close.

I know to you guys it might seem like I'm a total slacker with that GPA, but it's much harder and more difficult than you'd think. Only this year has something in my mind clicked and allowed me to look at school work the way I should have been looking at it in the first place.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Sven wrote:if only the tests mattered a school will teach to the test

we already lose a month here everytime a test is coming up, would get even worse if we had a national test equivalent
True, but tests need to be about ability more than knowledge. Of course that means you have to correct each test separately, which increases costs and what not so nobody likes it.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Unakau wrote:My GPA is fudge 2.56ish. This year I'm shooting for 3.5-4.0, but I think you can understand how it isn't even worth it to be applying to University of Chicago. Intelligence-wise, I'd deserve to be there, but work ethic-wise I'm not even close.

I know to you guys it might seem like I'm a total slacker with that GPA, but it's much harder and more difficult than you'd think. Only this year has something in my mind clicked and allowed me to look at school work the way I should have been looking at it in the first place.
if you haven't done the work you don't deserve to be there

it's really not that hard of a concept

i have over 90+ (A's) in math, english, and subjects taught by teachers i like, but i have 70s (C's in america i believe? though they're B's here lol) in stuff where the teacher was boring, i didn't like the subject, whatever my excuse.

do i deserve to get early acceptance to anywhere i want with a scholarship? definitely not, that should go to someone that actually worked in all their subjects. the requirements to get into uni were very clear when you entered highschool, it's only your own fault for not getting where you wanted.

as for tests, i heard the people who marked one test got $10 an hour or something MMM MOTIVATION