It's the End of the World as We Know It (And REM Feel Fine)

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Shift Breaker

It's the End of the World as We Know It (And REM Feel Fine)

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:07 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... 630897.ece

Let me point out some things.

A) CERN, woop. Black holes and the like.
B) lolthesun
C) People are trying to stop them, fearing for their lives.
D) Complete the lost levels? It's SMRPG that you wanna' finish!
E) Commencing Robert Langdon in 3...2...1...

So. Thoughts? Opinions? Protests? Apathy?
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Re: It's the End of the World as We Know It (And REM Feel Fine)

Post by Bog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:15 am

It's enough to get me worried, put it that way. This isn't some mad culty thing saying that the spaceship disguised as the moon is going to kill us. This is science, and thus could hold some water.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:20 am

I didn't realize it was 2012 yet.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:22 am

Goddammit, I'm trying to be cheery and every damned thing that happens in the world is usually depressing.

Great. Right after Disgaea 3, the new DS Harvest Moon and Mercenaries 2 came out. Fudge you, machine, fudge you.

Edit:

Now that I've read the article, I wonder why the built something 17 miles long. That's a lot of room. Also, why discover how the universe/earth/whatever was born? Will it REALLY be benificial?

Whatever. I'm just gonna pray I can at least meet all the girls in the new DS Harvest Moon before then. -_-
Hooded_Miracle wrote:It needs some 'The Devil went down to Georgia,' because I'm pretty sure the devil doesn't like Georgia. >_>
Shift Breaker wrote:No, you're thinking of the Russians.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 am

I have a basic understanding of advanced physics and I can safely say that the article is correct in that the death would be virtually instantaneous and painless. It'd be like you never existed.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:26 am

Is this about LHC?

I am not worried in the least, but I will be paying close attention on the day they fire that baby up.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 am

Rexi wrote:I have a basic understanding of advanced physics and I can safely say that the article is correct in that the death would be virtually instantaneous and painless. It'd be like you never existed.
crumpets. -_-
Hooded_Miracle wrote:It needs some 'The Devil went down to Georgia,' because I'm pretty sure the devil doesn't like Georgia. >_>

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am

One of my biggest fears in life is not knowing that I'm about to die (death in sleep etc.)

I want to grasp it, damn it.

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:11 am

Oh, the LHC? They'll postpone yet again. Anywho, there's no conclusive proof, in fact there's no proof at all, it's a wacky conjecture that has no base. Of course there's no conclusive proof of what will actually happen, so it's not like we can rule it out.

So what do we do? We have a mass orgy before it's activation. If we're dying, we're gonna enjoy it dammit.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:27 am

I sure hope they don't postpone it. I'm sure that if they do, it won't be for too much longer.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:59 pm

We, tbh, it's The Sun. For those outside of the UK, The Sun is a British tabloid well-known for printing a lot of crap, so the reliability of that article is a bit dodgy.

I'd quite like to die in my sleep. I panic whenever I'm scared, so I wouldn't die screaming "OMG".

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:17 pm

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/0 ... tml#afhurl

Pretty pics, and some interesting comments.

Apparently September 10th is only a test run. The real thing is on October 21st.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 pm

A world that has me in it can not disappear.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:11 am

yikes.

Well,it could also be that this will end eating a not-so-healty chunk of france.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:29 am

Recreate the Big Bang.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:03 am

Sounds sexy.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 pm

'nuff said.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:35 pm

HARDON COLLIDER IS TOTALLY GAY
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:31 pm

And what about the Hadron one?

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:58 am

Will Sturm come out of this device? Now that would be cool!

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:21 am

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:27 am

We live whee.
Until they turn up the power.

It always goes like that in movies.Yep,yep.Always.
Anyway,I hope with all my heart we won't destroy ourselves.. :?

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:25 am

Well, if we get to Halloween and Christmas, we're safe.

I think. >_>

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 am

thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:09 am

<_<

rap en LHC?
Nice combo.

Anyway,look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzugu39 ... re=related
I do not see that happen so slow.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 am

Nope, it wouldn't be that slow. We'd die MUCH faster.

Not dead yet! >_>

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Sorry, I feel like I should post here as quantum physics is my thing... I don't know if this is going to cheer those worried about it up or whether you're all going to say "that sounds like a load of b******s..." Well... It's to do with quantum stuff, so it will sound very counter-intuitive.

If black holes are created by CERN, they will be extremely small ones, and by small, I mean the event horizon may not be much larger than a proton itself, even if it gets that big. I can't tell you the exact size as I can't be bothered to do the special relitivity and Schwarzchild calculations right now... (ie. To find out what the masses of the particles would be increased to by the movement and then the event horizon size...) first, I'd have to look them up, and then find a calculator.

ANYWAY, Black holes radiate their matter out slowly as Hawking radiation. Now, the odd thing is that the larger the black hole, ie. the more stuff it has in it, the colder it is, so any black holes created by CERN would evaporate so damn quickly, you'd never even know they existed.

And besides, as the black hole itself would not be moving, I'm not even sure the special relativity would still hold with the increased mass stuff. If you want a better answer, ask a real physicist, not just someone who will do it at uni and used to wear a labcoat into school occasionally.

If anyone else has been to CERN, and gone in the tunnels... Aren't that amazing? The sheer size is just O_O... Coldest place in the universe, too.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:54 am

Sniffit II wrote:ANYWAY, Black holes radiate their matter out slowly as Hawking radiation.
Don't forget, that is theoretical. In fact, the LHC experiment could actually demonstrate it as a law or discard the theory.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:15 am

I find it ironic you're talking about black holes with an avatar of Sturm.

Hee.

Not dead yet!

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:54 am

I hadn't thought of that, but yeah... Suppose you're right...
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.