Taking advantage of the uni talks...

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Taking advantage of the uni talks...

Post by Linkman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:33 pm

How exactly do you guys feel about about graduate studies?

We really don't use the minor system here, but besides that, careers are practically equal. I have this idea however, of getting some specialization after I'm done with the standard career (I believe you guys call it Bachelors or something like that.) It's also a question whether I'll do it in my same uni or go abroad for it.

I used to have the idea of a Doctorate, but then I did some research and realized that would have been apt for research and it's not really what I'm interested in. What I would like is some kind of degree in Energy Generation, or perhaps get in the area of Renewable Energies. I think the best choice is a Master's Degree or something of the sort. Doing it abroad, from what I hear, exponentially increases the odds of getting hired on the same country you got the degree, which could speed up my job pretensions. But according to my dad (who works on the field), several companies like to hire young promising engineers and send them to get studies on specific areas they'll be working on, which is what happened with my uncle on Petrobras, who paid for his specialization on deep water perforation.

Do any of you have similar ideas, or stories you might wanna share?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

x0_000

Re: Taking advantage of the uni talks...

Post by x0_000 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 pm

if you're only in it for the money quit once you get your masters, to a company there is little difference (moneywise) between a masters and a phd
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:58 pm

I'm not, but I'm not terribly interested in research.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:00 pm

It's not worth the time to study for a Doctorate unless you intend to teach in that field at a university or college or enter research.

For most people, a Master's would suffice for that fat paycheck you're looking for.
What can change the nature of a man?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Do I look money-hungry? :(

Treed

Post by Treed » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:29 pm

I want to teach University courses, so I'm getting my Master's and PhD. Simple, right?

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Linkman wrote:Do I look money-hungry? :(
I don't know about you, but I have an incentive to make a lot of money. Different strokes for different folks.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:12 pm

In Australia a Masters is basically irrelevant. Most "hard" courses don't even do Masters any more, you'll just go straight from Honours to Ph. D without the in-between. In the physical sciences, a Masters is what you get when you fail (but not entirely) at a Ph. D. >_>

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:18 pm

With that in mind, Linkman, I suggest you ask around and find out if higher education is the right course for you.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:01 am

=/...

I thought about a Ph.D, but doing four more years of uni doesn't suit well with me. What I really want is to expand my skills so as to be able to work in different areas of my career.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:56 am

Then you don't want a PhD.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:13 am

didn't you enter uni retardedly early?

spin some story and enter a canadian/australian university master's program after you save up enough dough working with your bachelor's straight out of school.

engineering yeah?

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:08 am

MAN wrote:In Australia a Masters is basically irrelevant. Most "hard" courses don't even do Masters any more, you'll just go straight from Honours to Ph. D without the in-between. In the physical sciences, a Masters is what you get when you fail (but not entirely) at a Ph. D. >_>
trade uni degrees are different from theorytard uni degrees

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Sven wrote:didn't you enter uni retardedly early?

spin some story and enter a canadian/australian university master's program after you save up enough dough working with your bachelor's straight out of school.

engineering yeah?
I did, if everything goes well I ought to have my bachelor when I'm 21. My dad says I ought to hit work as soon as I'm out because then I'd be much more likely to get a company to send me to get skills. But I have my doubts.

Eh, I suppose it's still early to lose sleep over it.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 pm

Sven wrote:trade uni degrees are different from theorytard uni degrees
We call that TAFE and they don't give you degrees they give you Diplomas and Certification. So what John said was correct. The only way to get Masters/Doctorate here is to go through a University.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:45 am

Besides, lol TAFE.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:21 am

You crazy Australians.