EVERYTHING SVEN MEGATHREAD

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Sven

EVERYTHING SVEN MEGATHREAD

Post by Sven » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:44 am

alright maggots

i need somewhere to dump all my academic links i find that isn't my bookmarks

because those are crowded

anyway this is the deal:

i'm currently studying the following things for the following purposes:
---
chess -> rating improvement, need a game to play
math -> general problem solving, AP calculus gets me uni prep
biology -> learn to memorize stuff, AP biology gets me uni prep
chemistry -> general problem solving, AP chemistry gets me uni prep
physics -> general problem solving, AP physics gets me uni prep
statistics -> sometimes this stuff is really useful in math, AP statistics gets me uni prep
computer science -> programming crumpets is hella important in today's world. even the ability to poke in, read code, and get out is awesome, AP comp sci could be useful

current resources:

chess - loads of torrented books
math - loads of torrented books
bio - http://library.thinkquest.org/28751/mainmenu.shtml
chemistry - http://www.tvgreen.com/apchem/apnotes.htm
physics - http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/walker2/
statistics - some torrented books, more material needed
computer science - torrented books
french - part of a class, i have french TV/radio/music
flashcard program - http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/
flashcard database - http://www.flashcardexchange.com/
flashcard ripper - http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/node/107

feel free to dump any academic links, this will be where i detail my progress/dump anything amusing i see

-> things of note

chess people really can't seem to decide on how to get someone improving. since coaching is hella expensive, i'm on my own. my plan is to master endgames, then work on middle game positioning/tactics, and finally i'll look up some openings.

torrents are more useful then i ever imagined. there are torrents with books that literally can tell you how to do anything. i am amazed at the information available.

edit: forgot to post an excellent memorization tool

Mnemosyne is basically a flashcard program that is absolutely amazing for this kind of thing. not good for concepts, but great for getting through the nitty gritty memorization!

edit: more updates! you can rip cards off of flashcard exchange!
Last edited by Sven on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blame Game

Re: EVERYTHING SVEN MEGATHREAD

Post by Blame Game » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:36 am

I'll remember that last thing lol

and no not for my pokemons

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:44 am

anyway, more info:

someone wrote a python script to rip sets off of http://www.flashcardexchange.com/

so yeah we can enjoy basically any flashcard set imaginable.

http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/node/107

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:41 pm

For a minute there I thought that was a typical Sven joke. Turns out there's more than Mnemosyne after all.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:11 pm

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/navigation ... obability/

pretty standard probability questions; at least knowing about them is useful

if you can solve them then bonus cookies but don't necessarily expect to be able to do it immediately

three bags six stones is not an actual probability question by the way so don't worry about that (still good to know though, not too difficult)

http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/people/sevy/c ... notes.html

decent notes for introductory statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Variable
if you don't already know what this is the read the intuitive definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value
learn the properties of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes%27_theorem
this is important once you start covering probability

in general you will have a good book if it covers the following (which is the bare minimum):

sampling, difference between population and sample
mean, median, mode, standard deviation, variance and similar stuff
probability distribution function and probability density function (there is a difference, learn it)
bernoulli trial, binomial distribution, hypergeometric distribution, poisson distribution, normal distribution and how to approximate hypergeometric/normal distributions with binomial/poisson distributions
basic probability theory (includes inclusion/exclusion rules, baye's theorem above, possibly venn diagrams)
hypothesis testing, z-tests, t-test, chi squared-test, p-value, confidence interval

the most important thing you should understand is why the square root of pi is important in statistics (ok not really but it's still good to know)
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:54 pm

awesome!

stats doesn't look that bad now!

will update tomorrow

also i'm prolly going to waterloo, see you there lol :)

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Statistics are boooooring.

You're going the wrong way about chess: you need to figure out what makes a good opening (the classical theory should suffice if you're just starting: Look up games of Paul Murphy, Alekhine, and... ehr, I always forget his name, but he was Alekhine's biggest rival at the time. Steinitz, I think)

If you master the Spanish and Italian openings and their reasoning, you have mastered a classical opening and that can get you very far in the game. On the other hand, you need to know the basis of defense as black, since the classical way always leads to white kicking black's ass. Black needs to fight back, and the best defense to learn this concept is Sicilian, which you should find in pretty much all books.

After you've mastered those, you can move on to more complicated ideas (Queen/King's gambit, Scottish opening, etc.) But you've outpowered most chess players with Spanish/Italian + Sicilian.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:56 pm

Simple mechanics with a great deal of depth behind them. Same with Go, which is even simpler. Pretty much where AW failed. It tried to be DEEP but wound up overly simplistic and shallow.

Yet, I still prefer Nine Men's Morris or a friendly round of Mahjong.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:20 pm

WOULD YOU LIKE YOU BET A FINGER

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:33 pm

Sorry, I do not believe tissue boxes should be considered a legitimate form of gambling.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 pm

BUT WHAT VERSION OF MAH JONGG?

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:05 am

Whichever you're game to try, ladies.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:01 am

You're taking AP Chemistry and AP Biology at the same time? Are you nuts?
What can change the nature of a man?

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:59 am

And Calc and Stats at the same time as that?

I'm doing Calc, Stats, and Chem, and I feel fairly overloaded.

but my teachers are awesome so I don't mind.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Da Linkmeister

Post by Da Linkmeister » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:32 am

It'll be good practice for uni, and from what he says AP courses on his school are like normal courses in other schools.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:36 am

Linkman wrote:Statistics are boooooring.

You're going the wrong way about chess: you need to figure out what makes a good opening (the classical theory should suffice if you're just starting: Look up games of Paul Murphy, Alekhine, and... ehr, I always forget his name, but he was Alekhine's biggest rival at the time. Steinitz, I think)

If you master the Spanish and Italian openings and their reasoning, you have mastered a classical opening and that can get you very far in the game. On the other hand, you need to know the basis of defense as black, since the classical way always leads to white kicking black's ass. Black needs to fight back, and the best defense to learn this concept is Sicilian, which you should find in pretty much all books.

After you've mastered those, you can move on to more complicated ideas (Queen/King's gambit, Scottish opening, etc.) But you've outpowered most chess players with Spanish/Italian + Sicilian.
openings don't mean crumpets because of three main things

1) low level players don't follow them, they deviate and you're fudge if all you did was look at openings
2) high level players know not to walk into a bad opening, no amount of study will win you a piece in the opening if you weren't better in the first place
3) this relates to 1) if someone deviates, you've ended your opening and all those lines you memorized don't mean anything. but i will always play an endgame. if i have a bad opening, at most i have lower piece activity. if i lose the ending, i lose the game.

as for those people saying i'm nuts for taking chem/physics/bio/calc/stats/comp sci

i'm doing the exams.

the courses and the exams are two completely different things. at most, i suspect each of them to take 40 hours of memory/problem solving work - the basic concepts are covered in my normal classes, i just need to review and make sure i have everything mastered.

240 hours, 6 months, 180 days till exams. i do maybe two hours study a day and i'll be fine.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:17 am

The point of learning openings is NOT knowing all the variations, but knowing which pieces should be developed, what's the purpose of developing them that way, etc. Trust me, one lost time in an opening can cost you the game.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:32 am

no it can't

one lost time in an opening assumes your opponent is good enough (grandmaster) to carry that through to the middle and endgame

no player i know at high school level has even considered studying endgames. they are all far more interested in openings and tactics, but they play endgames as if they had just started the game. i have seen people throw away countless amounts of material and end up in draws if they do not end up with a middlegame mating attack. there simply is no endgame knowledge.

one tempo in an opening is not going to cost you unless you hit grandmaster level, in which case you probably have more things to worry about

yes opening principles are important - but i already know them. in depth study of lines and the positions that result are useless because these lines are not played at high school level, and at most they result in tiny positional advantages. there is simply no point for me to further study the opening when i can devote my time to capitalizing on my area's pitiful endgame ability in order to salvage wins/draws out of my losses.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Oh please, endgame tactics are tried and true, really. It's basically how to mate with more material: true, you should learn them, but you can learn all you need to know in one read (except advanced pawn theory.) Either way, the pawn advantage you need to win in the endgame? That comes from the openings.

I thought you wanted to get good at chess, not beat a bunch of slackers.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Hey, Sven, I'll kill you at Chess if ya want.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:14 am

Linkman wrote:Oh please, endgame tactics are tried and true, really. It's basically how to mate with more material: true, you should learn them, but you can learn all you need to know in one read (except advanced pawn theory.) Either way, the pawn advantage you need to win in the endgame? That comes from the openings.

I thought you wanted to get good at chess, not beat a bunch of slackers.
you don't get it.

precisely the reverse is true.

anything a beginner needs for the opening can be summarized in a five minute lesson. simple instruction to develop pieces and avoidance of opening traps will lead to a consistent ability to make it to an even middle game. the pawn advantage you are looking for is more often achieved in the middle game through tactics. the problem of course is when you play people who aren't dumb and who don't fudge up tacticwise.

in these games largely until master level i could give you a winning endgame position for one player and between even semipro players it would go 50-50. if you don't recognize the endgame all your work until then was for nothing.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:28 am

Well, what exactly are we talking about here? Not being able to win with an extra pawn or not being able to win with an extra rook?

The former means hours of advanced theory, the latter needs a kick in the head.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:44 am

we're talking about less then a pawn difference.

that's the kind of crumpets that wins games

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:13 am

For openings, I usually go with the Sicilian. Do you know it?

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:23 am

yes yes most are quite self explanatory

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:26 am

Sven wrote:we're talking about less then a pawn difference.

that's the kind of crumpets that wins games
That's won through opening theory! Seriously, endgame is just about timing.

EDIT: I'm open for a game, anyone. Get on MSN and we can set up.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:59 am

no

that's the ending

ending mastery will let you draw better players that are a piece up on you

and beat players that are a pawn up.

the simple fact of the matter is that you do not checkmate in the opening, no amount of glorifying it will change that.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:13 am

It doesn't matter how good you are, if I have an advantage at the ending you're not winning. But eh, whatever.

Endgame is very fun to study because, well, there's some beautiful mates to look at.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:42 am

unless you're over ELO 2000 i bet you any money that you'd fudge up some incredibly common endings. it is not an intuitive stage of the game at all.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:22 am

white to play and not fudge up

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:10 am

by being AWESOME

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:39 pm

YOU

ME

NO WHITES

LET'S DO THIS
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:34 pm

Chess is racist.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:23 am

they died building the chessboard you insensitive prick

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:50 pm

anki is also an excellent memory program. found that a couple days ago.

also looking into memory systems - general mnemonics, etc.

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:39 pm

excellent

chess matches are starting

individually i'm 1-0-1.

excellent

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:39 pm

isn't it supposed to be w-l-d?

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:13 am

w-l-d yes

i drew someone 1400 because i fudge up when i was up on the exchange and thought i could get more material in a trade. ended up losing an exchange and went into a boring rook pawn opposite bishops ending.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:04 pm

Actually Rook+Pawn vs. Pair of Bishops sounds awesome.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:52 pm

they are draws lol