Question about laws and stuff

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Question about laws and stuff

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:22 am

If I pass my driving exam here aged 17, can I go to a country where the driving age is 21 and still drive, despite passing at 17?

I've searched and searched Google for an answer, but no luck.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Re: Question about laws and stuff

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:42 am

Rexi wrote:If I pass my driving exam here aged 17, can I go to a country where the driving age is 21 and still drive, despite passing at 17?

I've searched and searched Google for an answer, but no luck.
I'm pretty sure you can, yeah.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:48 am

I'd hazard a guess at no, to be honest, but I've found no absolute answer. Are you thinking of any countries in particular?

In most of Europe and many other countries it's 18 though, so you wouldn't have to wait long in any case.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:01 am

I say yes because it works in the states. Say that the driving age is 16 in Minnesota but 17 in New Jersey. You can drive in New Jersey if you have a Minnesota license.

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:22 am

Evidence to suggest that's not the case:

http://golocalnet.com/drivingage/outofstate1.htm

The most important line being:
"The state you are driving in has precedence."
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:35 am

thefalman wrote:Evidence to suggest that's not the case:

http://golocalnet.com/drivingage/outofstate1.htm

The most important line being:
"The state you are driving in has precedence."
I have a cousin in New Jersey and he says that if I was sixteen and had my license it would be just fine.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:07 am

Ignoring the anecdotal nature of that evidence, I still can't see that making sense - I mean, it's not like (if I was, say, 20) go to America and legally drink because I could do so in the UK. Granted, that's a slightly flawed analogy because you don't need a 'drinking licence' but I'd imagine the same principle applies across the board - surely you have to abide by state law when you're in the relevant state, regardless of whether you need a licence to do whatever it is you want to do?

I guess it boils down to the laws of the individual country/state at the end of the day, but if in doubt I'd err on the side of caution, or at least check with someone who might be able to give you a concrete answer first.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:12 am

The difference is that getting a license proves that you're able to drive well enough.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:25 am

I don't know, I think there were some issues when my sister went to the US a few years back (and she'd had her license in Canada for some time at that point). Don't remember exactly, though.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:26 am

Well, I imagine on the US a license from one state works in the others, therefore if you've got a valid license somewhere you've got it for the whole country.

It should be a different story if we're talking about different countries, but maybe not so: I mean, if you drive from one country to another, I imagine they have to accept your license even if it's from another country. But maybe that only works for tourists, if you're looking to legally drive there you'd need to take another test or somehow validate the one you have.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:34 am

Unakau wrote:The difference is that getting a license proves that you're able to drive well enough.
...to the authorities of the state or country you got the license in. It's up to the authorities of the state or country you're in whether or not they consider that license valid or not.

I'd also argue that it doesn't actually prove that at all, but that's a different matter entirely. >_>

Bog, here's a resource you might find useful:

http://www.drivingabroad.co.uk

Covers things like driving ages in various countries and a few US states too. The entries generally state "You must be (x) years old to drive in (y)", which seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:32 am

my thoughts exactly

also you probably can't drive there lol

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:46 am

thefalman wrote:I'd hazard a guess at no, to be honest, but I've found no absolute answer. Are you thinking of any countries in particular.
Gap year in a year or so. Thinking about driving through Europe and maybe down to the Middle East depending on international relations issues around that area. Of course, it's probably just a crazy dream. Still, I'd like to know the answer for future reference.

Route would be something like France > Switzerland > Italy > Austria > Slovenia > Croatia > Serbia (Unsure about this one, due to recent Serbian conflict) > Macedonia > Greece > Turkey > Dunno about the rest, as the rest of the possible route is unstable, but I'd be looking at places like Bethlehem and Galilee.

EDIT: Oki, just read that link. Apparently it depends entirely on the rules regarding foreign drivers of the particular country you're driving in. Cheers, Fallers.