I hate my town. (Rant)

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

I hate my town. (Rant)

Post by Bog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:26 am

Actually, not the town. The bus company. They've just raised their prices. Again. Considering only six years ago it was a 60p for a single ride, it's absolutely ridiculous. Thanks to them, they are now costing me FOURTEEN QUID per week on top of my usual weekly £32 train ticket. Yes, in two weeks I spend enough on buses to pay for a just-released videogame. Here's the current prices:

Single: £1.90
Return: £2.00
All-Day Pass: £3.00
Weekly Pass: £8.00

Now, their excuse was "omg petrol prices too high", but they raised their prices in May as well, and petrol costs were higher back then. Something tells me they're just using that as a crappy excuse to make more money in the midst of a credit crunch.

Now, there are several things wrong with this. Firstly, the government are wanting us to go all green and hippy by using public transport, yeah? THEN WHY THE HECK DO THEY MAKE IT SO DARN EXPENSIVE. I mean, yeah, ok, it still is cheaper to go to town by bus than by car, but at least with a car you get comfort and a place to take your shopping home in, aaand you aren't forced to sit next to crazy, smelly old farts who talk to you about the weather throughout your entire sorry journey while spraying spit on your face every time they turn to say something that you really, really don't give a flying fudge about. Something tells me that the government/bus company has some sort of multiple-personality disorder. I mean, they're telling us to do something but making it bloody expensive for us to do it. Secondly, in my mind, what they're doing is outright extortion. They know that people rely on the buses, and so will pay any fare they need to pay for a ride because they know that the buses are relied upon. It like putting water prices up. It's totally stupid.

Grr.

x0_000

Re: I hate my town. (Rant)

Post by x0_000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:09 am

whine whine whine

over here it's 3-5 canadian $ (read: ~1.50-2.50 $) depending on where you go and you can't use a pass without an ID and to get the ID you only have two possible locations to get it

so yeah
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:15 am

Now, there are several things wrong with this. Firstly, the government are wanting us to go all green and hippy by using public transport, yeah? THEN WHY THE HECK DO THEY MAKE IT SO DARN EXPENSIVE.
supply and DA MAN

*high five*
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:20 am

Don't you have a student discount or something?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:36 am

Boggly darling, complainers only find more and more reasons to complain. You're going to be a bitter old man one day if you keep this act up.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:44 am

Treedweller wrote:Boggly darling, complainers only find more and more reasons to complain. You're going to be a bitter old man one day if you keep this act up.
Are you saying that bog is going to die early if he doesn't keep up the act?

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:47 am

Bog, you look about 12, surely you can get away with child's fare.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:00 am

Marty: You need a fudge special pass to say that you're under 15 to be eligible for a child's fare. Oh, and I'm 6"2'. I doubt I can get away with being 12 lol.

Linky: I would, but my parents are too rich. Also, I think studying in a different town has something to do with it.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:08 am

ID?

Gwahahaha. Lameness. But it's a good excuse to get you driving.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:20 am

It's to stop people like me pretending to be 15. >_>

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:11 am

Consider yourself lucky m'boy, it's £14 for a weekly bus ticket here lol.

Also I assume you must have to use buses in two different towns or something, otherwise it makes no sense for you to be spending £14 on buses when a weekly ticket is £8 lol.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 am

Deoxy wrote:first off: america doesn't even fudge have public transport (at least where I live), be happy it's available to you

secondly: wow that is pretty high actually
Don't you have subway systems?

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:27 am

suck it up

weekly pass is 20.7182 euro here.

oh right you ignorants use pounds.

17.6956 pounds.

still cheaper than driving

suck it up

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 am

Heh. A peak multitrip (ten trips, doesn't expire) costs about $AU13.50 here. And an off-peak is more like $8.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Yeah, and since I live in The Hills, then I get to use the almighty O-bahn every time!

Provided I drive to it first.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:13 pm

MAN wrote:doesn't expire
I love that part. Old bus tickets <3

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Don't *any* of you have student discounts? I only pay 130 pesos/0.20371 U.S. dollars/0.1623 Euros for a one-way trip. A week means ten trips, that's roughly $2USD or one and a half Euros.

The real fare is four times that (still cheap, compared to yours.) Also, it's all on a magnetic card and the discount works 24/7, all year long. Something good came out of those student protests.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:56 pm

I remember once getting my multitrips at high school prices because the attendant wasn't thinking straight. It was awesome.

McTool

Post by McTool » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:38 pm

I pay $27 to go home from my school, minus cab fare to the bus station itself.

All in all, it runs me ~$40 every time I want to go home. One-way. That means every time I want to go to a concert back home, tickets are at least $80 (assuming the concert is free). And since there are no concerts here, I have to go back home if I want to see anything.

Also if I need to just get off campus for a weekend to detox, bam, $80.

So uh, yeah. Bite me.
Make good choices

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:58 pm

but is this government sanctioned transportation

McTool

Post by McTool » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:52 pm

I had to do a bit of research. Despite stopping at official MBTA (Mass Bay Transport Authority, the government) stops, when I am traveling state-to-state (as I do, from CT to MA), no, it is not government-sanctioned. However, if I were to take the bus to the airport, it would be $8, and then it is part of the MBTA and government-sanctioned. What is completely whack, however, is that government sanctioned trains and non-government sanctioned buses all convene at the same station, which is what threw me off (also funny: I go from Union Station in CT, to Union Station in Worcester, MA, to a random bus stop in Framingham, MA, which I have dubbed Union Station for giggles). But yeah, despite being the largest bus company in the USA, Greyhound/Peter Pan is not government sanctioned (at least not state-to-state). You'd think the government would get on that.

And don't even talk to me about taking the train because it'd be cheaper: it's not.

Cab fare to get to bus to Framingham: $15 - 10 minutes, tops
Peter Pan Bus ticket from Hartford to Framingham: $27 - 2 hours, average, 2 and a half on a really bad day

Totals $42 one-way, and a maximum of 2:40. Not cheap, a little time consuming (but I loves me some music) but not nearly as bad as:

Amtrak (the national railway company which is not gov. sanctioned) ticket from New Haven (the Amtrak stop in the area) to Worcester: $62 - Hour and a half, tops.
Bus fare to New Haven: $10 - 50 minutes to an hour depending on traffic (I tend to go home during rush hour, I imagine this would be horrendous)
Cab fare to get to bus to New Haven: $15 - 10 minutes. (It's the same stop)

Totals $87. CHRIST. And same time: 2:40 tops.

tl;dr: America needs to get on this government-sanctioned public transport nonsense, it's better than the racket we have going. At least gas is only ~$2.20 most places. Psh. That'll be over as soon as Obama is sworn into office.
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:14 am

Um, one would expect interstate travel not to be an everyday thing.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:14 am

Yes, but it's not like it's a huge drive. Seriously, CT and MA are right next to each other, you'd think the transport would be somewhat better, or that they'd at least get state-to-state gov't trains running (MA already has a huge commuter rail system that includes Maine, why can't it include CT)?
Make good choices

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:21 am

Hartford is the investment capital of the country, there's huge reasons to go there.

Also we have ads for Sonic restaurants when the nearest one is three hours away. That's cool too.
Make good choices

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:17 pm

MAN wrote:Heh. A peak multitrip (ten trips, doesn't expire) costs about $AU13.50 here. And an off-peak is more like $8.
You cheap little bastard.
Don't *any* of you have student discounts?
The student discount system here is too complicated to even be worth bothering with. Last time I looked, my parents earned too much for me to get any meaningful discount. To get a discount on things such as books, etc, I'd have to fill in about 10 different forms, provide all sorts of ID, including birth certificate and passport number, and then send it off to some office in London where it'll probably be used as toilet paper. That's only the first stage of the whole process. By the time I've finished applying, I'd be retired. >_>

Even if I was entitled to EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance), which is worth £30 a week straight into my bank (In theory), I wouldn't bother with it. They never pay up and it's just not worth the hassle.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:08 am

suck it up

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:42 pm

Bus fares are free for Berkeley students

Yay hippieworld
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Hippy world is very cool, I enjoyed my tour of your university muchly.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:56 am

WTF

FREE BUS

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:25 pm

yeah we have that in waterloo too

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:26 pm

why

do you keep

tempting me x0

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:52 pm

That is why I dread the day I become a taxpayer.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Upside of where I live - It only costs £3.25 return to get into the nearest city. Downside? That's almost an hour by bus it seems, and the bus comes only three times a day.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.